Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Machado de Assis posted:

The game is designed around multiple playthroughs, including ingame choices that refer to metaknowledge of the game's plot that only appear once you're on your second and subsequent playthroughs. The plot and worldbuilding is more impactful the less you know going in, but unless you look things up beforehand or are lucky about having the right skills and relationships at the right levels at the right time, bad things will happen in your first playthrough and your first ending is probably going to be a bad one. Therefore, the main thing is to not try and pursue a perfect run in your first playthrough and just go along for the ride.

The random stuff you pick up is useful for helping to beat the tougher card game challenges, but their main use is to raise relationships with your fellow teenage exocolonists. Gifting people stuff they like on the season their birthday is in gives particularly large relationship gains, so it's worth getting into the habit of gifting early and often until you've established what different people like and what their birthdays are, then keep giving the proper birthday gifts as time goes by.

Good stuff. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Anything for Cassette Beasts? I just started it and once the music for the first town started playing I realized I'm gonna be playing it for awhile.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

duck trucker posted:

Anything for Cassette Beasts? I just started it and once the music for the first town started playing I realized I'm gonna be playing it for awhile.

1. It's enough like Pokémon to get you in trouble if you assume they're the same, so pay attention to what types actually do and stuff
2. Walls are pretty darn good, pick up some Beast Walls when you get a chance (landing a type-advantaged hit against a wall destroys it immediately but Beast has no defensive weaknesses)
3. If you get a rumor about something that gives you an ability, go get it immediately

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

I just started Metal Gear Solid 2. I only played to half of the first one on the original PSX. I know this is a meaty series, but I figured it's time to get into the entire biography of Hideo Kojima.

Can I just play 2, 3, 4 and 5 back to back, is there a better order, how do I enjoy the experience to the fullest?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lifroc posted:

how do I enjoy the experience to the fullest?

Get drunk

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lifroc posted:

I just started Metal Gear Solid 2. I only played to half of the first one on the original PSX. I know this is a meaty series, but I figured it's time to get into the entire biography of Hideo Kojima.

Can I just play 2, 3, 4 and 5 back to back, is there a better order, how do I enjoy the experience to the fullest?

Yeah play them in order. The story is told out of chronological order but the storytelling works better if you play them in numerical order.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lifroc posted:

Always play them in order of release.

Is Portable Ops really so bad because of gameplay or what?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Lifroc posted:

You can also throw in Peace Walker either before or after 4. It came out after 4, but chronologically follows 3.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You should definitely finish 1 before playing 2, though, otherwise you'll be even more lost than usual.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Eh, I've started replaying the Metal Gear series in chronological order just because I think it will be interesting.

MGS3->Peace Walker->MGS V: Ground Zeroes->MGS V: The Phantom Pain->MG1->MG2->MGS1->MGS2->MGS4

I need more Metal Gear, goddammit :mad:

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

That would go some way to explaining how the metal gear games stories are incomprehensible. I liked 5 a lotbut i dont know what they are talking about

...!
Oct 5, 2003

lol all of Metal Gear is incomprehensible even if you've played all of it; that's most of the fun. You gotta just go with it

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

...! posted:

lol all of Metal Gear is incomprehensible even if you've played all of it; that's most of the fun. You gotta just go with it

Yeah, I decided to play them after finishing Death Stranding. I have no idea what kind of insane story is Kojima trying to tell, but I respect his commitment to his vision. I heard the later MGS entries are as over the top, so it's time for me to dive in. Can't wait for DS2 to release

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Goofballs posted:

That would go some way to explaining how the metal gear games stories are incomprehensible. I liked 5 a lotbut i dont know what they are talking about

I mean the games are confusing but I feel the explanation for "I jumped into this series at the fifth game and was confused" is quite straightforward.

Also definitely play Peace Walker, it rules even if it's slightly hampered by being a PSP game with small areas and such. It's a great game in its own right and should probably have been called MGS 5 because it is important to the story - some people play V and complain that you never really see Big Boss actually "becoming a villain" but you do, that's literally the entirety of Peace Walker.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I mean the games are confusing but I feel the explanation for "I jumped into this series at the fifth game and was confused" is quite straightforward.

Also definitely play Peace Walker, it rules even if it's slightly hampered by being a PSP game with small areas and such. It's a great game in its own right and should probably have been called MGS 5 because it is important to the story - some people play V and complain that you never really see Big Boss actually "becoming a villain" but you do, that's literally the entirety of Peace Walker.

Yeah peace walker is very worth playing, and is referenced heavily in 5, so the story is kind of important too.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like playing MGS V more overall but PW is a very good game and is a better story for a fifth mainline game. Hoping the new HD release has decent servers for PW since I haven't been able to play it online; didn't really want to pay for xbox live when I finally played the game last year and doubt there were many online.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah PW kind of feels like a prototype for 5, gameplay wise. It also was a PSP game first so I suppose it would have to be a little primitive techwise, but I still think it's a great game that any MGS fan should not skip.

I had honestly forgotten about the coop angle, i bet it's even more fun that way, but it also stands on its own very well as a single player game, I thought.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
MGS V’s story was such a mess it didn’t make a lot of sense even to me, and I know more about the MGS timeline than I care to admit.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Metal Gear Solid as a series has a plot that is internally consistent ans characters with actual motivations, it's just filled with crazy people. As others have said, just roll with it.

Tips for Alien: Dark Descent

- If you are in a Hunt you can weld the doors of a room you're in and cancel the hunt, even if you don't rest. It applies to even non-"safe room" areas, but it doesn't work if enemies are already moving towards you.

- Taking out roaming xenos is a big part of stealth later in the game and it's easiest to do this with either mines or the sniper's silenced special shot. For mines you can use the hacker's drone or an auto sensor to lure enemies into them. You get a lot of command points to spend, and they regenerate, so don't be afraid to use them.

- If you are going to spend any time in an area then slapping down some sentry guns takes seconds. Just don't forget to pick them back up again.

- Save your purchasable skill slots for after you get a class specicialization because you will end up being able to buy some good class-only upgrades.

- You unlock the ability to passively train rookies later on, as well as a way to get rid of stress based debuffs, so don't worry too much about save scumming if you get in trouble or grinding out xp on green recruits.

- The Armored troop carrier does not trigger hunts and also rips enemies to shreds so don't be afraid to lure baddies into it. You can even use the map to drive the vehicle up and down roads to clear them out. It's fairly broken in some maps.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 24, 2023

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

- Save your purchasable skill slots for after you get a class specicialization because you will end up being able to buy some good class-only upgrades.

That's a very good tip yeah. At level 1-2 the upgrades are kinda blah and generic but at level 3 they seem to really flesh out the class' strength (it's how the tecker gets a drone, the sniper gets a silencer, etc) and if you save up all your points until you hit level 3, you can hit the ground running.

I did not know that safe rooms canceled hunts, that's great to know

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 24, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's a very good tip yeah. At level 1-2 the upgrades are kinda blah and generic but at level 3 they seem to really flesh out the class' strength (it's how the tecker gets a drone, the sniper gets a silencer, etc) and if you save up all your points until you hit level 3, you can hit the ground running.

I did not know that safe rooms canceled hunts, that's great to know

Yeah it really helps with keeping the overall aggression down, although it's expensive in tools if you try to do it repeatedly. It can be a bit tricky though because if you have *any* enemies running at you from any point on the map it doesn't count and you'll waste your tool.

e. After testing this applies to any room that you can seal the doors on, not just designated safe rooms.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 24, 2023

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Please tell me about Actraiser Renaissance.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Mr E posted:

I like playing MGS V more overall but PW is a very good game and is a better story for a fifth mainline game. Hoping the new HD release has decent servers for PW since I haven't been able to play it online; didn't really want to pay for xbox live when I finally played the game last year and doubt there were many online.

Wow, this is the first time I've heard about the Master Collection; thanks for bringing it to my attention! Looks like I'm putting my series replay on hold till both volumes of the collection are released. Playing the early games on my PS5 will surely be better than on my PS3.

Kruller posted:

Please tell me about Actraiser Renaissance.

It's just like the original except it has an additional town at the end and an extremely lovely, unfun, frequent and intrusive tower defense system tacked onto it (every town, not just the extra one). You're interrupted every few minutes by your town being invaded by assholes and are forced to play long tower defense sequences. And there's no way to turn it off. It completely sucks all the fun out of the game.

Why? Why did they do that?!

It also has many sequences that use godawful mobile game-style graphics.

My main tip for the game is to go find the original SNES version. It's actually good.

...! fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 24, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

...! posted:

My main tip for the game is to go find the original SNES version. It's actually good.

I loved the original Actraiser and I desperately want something along those lines but this ain't it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If you didn't play the original Actraiser, I highly recommend it. If you have, then I can point you to the original patch that removes the censorship and returns the game to its original, very hard design.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Scalding Coffee posted:

If you didn't play the original Actraiser, I highly recommend it. If you have, then I can point you to the original patch that removes the censorship and returns the game to its original, very hard design.

I googled this because I assumed they just like, put a bra on an angel or something but drat, uncensored version sounds rad as hell

quote:

-Satan was renamed Tanzra.
-Horns were removed from Satan and the other bosses.
-God was renamed The Master.
-The eye on the pyramid was removed.
-References to death were removed.
-At the end of the Bloodpool storyline it is revealed that Teddy set up the lottery so that he would be picked as a sacrifice for his people. In the international release it just said he was selected at random.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
What should I know for Bravely Default 2?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ainsley McTree posted:

I googled this because I assumed they just like, put a bra on an angel or something but drat, uncensored version sounds rad as hell
I was more surprised at how different the game was. There are tons more spikes in stages and many enemies had stronger attacks that make American Professional look easy.
My favorite part was when the humans learned their place in your kingdom and submit to your authority.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There's no entry for Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth for 3DS yet, so let me fix that.

* There are no subclasses or grimoire stones in this game, instead you have multiple races and legendary titles for classes (unlocked after beating the second stratum's boss).
* At the very start each class can only be used by a specific race. Once you beat the first floor's quest you can change to every class at the cost of 5 character levels. A new level 1 character will be able to change without penalty.
* Everything but a character's portrait (but not the colors) and your selected race can be changed in the Explorers Guild. You can Rest at the cost of 2 levels to get all your skill points back. If you had chosen a legendary title you have to pick it again after resting.
* Typically the default race-class combinations are fine, it just gives you the choice if you really want to optimize for a specific class build. For example, the Botanist class can specialize in status effects with their Smoke skills. However races with a higher Luck stat are better at inflicting ailments like that, so the default Brouni would be less successful at that particular thing than an Earthlain character.
* It's nice to have someone from each race in your party. They have unique race/union skills which give you more choices in battle and make exploring the dungeon more interesting.
* Forging allows you to improve your weapons, to a maximum of +5. You can use materials or ingots. Bronze ingots give a +1, Silver gives +3, and Gold instantly maxes a weapon. Once you no longer need a fully upgraded weapon, you can Recycle it to get material shards. 10 shards of a specific material will automatically be turned into a single ingot.
* On the 3rd floor you can find a chest with the Memory Conch accessory. If a party member has it equipped and is alive at the end of a fight, a BONUS 10% of the total XP is generated and given to EACH inactive character in the Explorers Guild. You can have over 30 characters in total, so if you are unsure about your selected classes you can go wild creating characters and with use of the Memory Conch they won't start from scratch if you decide to tag them in.
* On the 9th floor you can find a chest with the Allsight Crystal accessory. If you have a Celestrian with the Detect Mana skill it will point out nearby points of interest on your map. Chests, gathering spots, staircases and shortcuts.
* The first stratum boss can be a difficulty spike. If you have a Brouni party member they can learn useful Union skills at level 15 (Hygieia's Bowl) and 20 (Aegis Shield) so you can defend against the big attack and recover.
* A character with the Animal Care skill can find certain animals in the dungeon and leave them behind at Jenetta's Inn. After resting there you will occasionally get some food items in return. However, Jenetta is an all-or-nothing kind of lady, you'll get no food if you don't have enough free slots for all of her bounty (it might take 13 slots at one point).
* If you have characters that use a lot of TP (mana) you could focus your food cooking on making Pancakes and Honeyed Fruits. If the character consuming them has the Gourmet skill it doubles the restoration effect from food.
* A benefit of registering guild cards in this game is that you don't run into only Conrad from the Freeblade Guild while exploring the dungeon. The QR codes for them are region locked, so EU guilds won't work in NA, etc.
* The DLC for this game was additional portraits, a repeatable quest to quickly grind XP, a similar one for money and a FM synth version of the game's music.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 26, 2023

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I noticed that The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall has minimal tips and I've been playing the Unity version of it so here we go:

Before starting:
I highly suggest using Daggerfall Unity to play the game as this modernizes the game and makes it a lot more accessible to play for the modern gamer, plus there are a lot of gameplay mods available for the Unity version that enhance the experience. As of June 25, 2023, the 14.5 version of DFUnity is the most supported version and can be found here: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfall-unity/releases. There are also instructions on how to install and setup DFUnity there.

A few suggested mods:
DREAM (Massive visual enhancements, a lot of community support as well)
Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack 1 (More quests!)
Distant Terrain (Better view distance)
Fixed Dungeon Exteriors (Better dungeon exteriors, no longer do castles look like a little mound of dirt.)
Convenient Clock (Provides date and time near the compass, no need to look at info for date and time)
Convenient Quest Log (More usable quest log, very nice)

There are plenty more good mods besides these, take a look on Nexus for them.

Character Creation:

All races get a bonus upon creation but some are better than others, a quick tier breakdown:

S: High Elf (Immune to Paralysis), Redguard (Bonus to hit & damage level/3)
A: Dark Elf (Bonus to hit & damage level/4), Breton (30% magic resist)
B: Nord (30% Cold resist), Wood Elf (Bonus to hit & damage level/3 for Archery only)
C: Khajiit (better climbing), Argonian (better swimming)

Not to say that you shouldn't play Khajiit for example, as you can make up the difference with spells or magic items over time.

Pick a gender then you can pick your class or answer questions to have your class picked for you. All pre-built classes are viable, but Custom classes can be made to be very powerful.

At the Custom class screen, the Help button explains most everything, but it doesn't explain the Skill Advancement bar well. The center is considered 1.0x, if a skill takes 100 skill checks at 1.0x to advance to the next level, it will take 300 at 3.0x and 30 at 0.3x to advance. The stats on the left can be given more or less weight for the upcoming stat distribution screen.

You gain levels by using Primary, Major and Minor skills. Easy skills to level up will have you gain levels faster, but keep in mind that you will be fighting, so having a weapon/damage skill in Primary or Major is important. If you can't fight, enemies will outpace you and kill you quick.

Language skills are mostly useless (Impish, Giantish, etc), Streetwise and Etiquette have minimal usage. All weapons except hand to hand and all magic schools are good picks. Running, Jumping, Climbing, Swimming are super easy to level as an option and will just go up naturally.

Special advantages: Expertise In your preferred weapon type is a great choice, Immunity/Resistance are very strong but expensive. Increased Magery is necessary if you plan to cast lots of spells as normally you only get INT x 0.5 for spell points. Spell Absorption is very powerful. Regen Health isn't as good as it sounds, neither is Acute Hearing and Adrenaline Rush.

Special disadvantages: Taking Damage from Holy Places only hurts when you are in a Temple or Fighter Trainer's hall, so it's a good pick as long as you pop in and out of those places quickly. Take a forbidden weapon or two of a weapon type that you aren't using to drop the dagger down a bit on the bar. Taking Steel as a forbidden material is actually a great way to get the dagger lower as while Steel is super common, it's the second weakest material. Iron can hold you over until you find Silver weapons and armor or better. Critical Weakness/Low Tolerance exchange extra damage from your choice in order to lower the dagger. Whichever you pick, stock up on ways to resist or cure your weakness asap. I'd ignore the rest of the disadvantages.

Reputations are what they say on the tin, easy.

After this, you can fast start to allow the game to create your background or influence it yourself by answering some questions. I suggest answering the questions because that allows you to give yourself some boosts to specific skills, rep with different factions and most importantly you can get an ebony dagger which will be the best starting weapon you can get.

Next is the Bonus Point screen. The stats you set earlier are the minimum you can roll, with up to 10 extra points in that stat plus up to 14 extra points to distribute. So if you left all stats at 50, each stat can roll between 50-60, so take the time to get a good roll. Next you set your points for your skills and finally you set your reflexes. Very High is works for most people now days.

Playing:

First things first, press ESC and create a save, you wouldn't want to die in the first dungeon and have to recreate your character would you? Next check your controls so you can change them around as you want. You can click on Primary in the upper right to change it to Secondary to add extra buttons for actions, if you have a mouse with side buttons, having a couple mapped to your spell menu and usable item menu are really handy. You can also click Advanced for a few more options, such as the Weapon Swing Mode. You can keep it default, which has you hold down the right mouse button and move your mouse in a direction in order to attack, or you can change it to a Morrowind style where you have to click or hold the right mouse button to attack.

From here, take your time to explore and find your way out of the first dungeon, quick save in safe spots often and once you're out of the dungeon I suggest heading for Daggerfall as your starting point. You will get a letter from Lady Brisienna, do this quest within the time frame given and then from there I suggest taking your time to explore the game, do some minor quests for townspeople, nobles, and various factions. If a quest has a time limit, you will be told about it and make sure you complete the story quests within the limit or you could lock yourself out of completing the story, barring using console commands.

If you want, you can enable Guild Quest Selection in the advanced options of DFUnity, this allows you to pick your quest from Guilds instead of having to decline random quests until you get the one you want. I would also have the Game Console enabled just in case if you get frustrated during a quest or something bad happens, you can fix it in the console. Commands are here: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall_Mod:Daggerfall_Unity/Console

One major thing to note about guilds, the Mages Guild allows access to the Spell Maker right when you join and it’s extremely powerful in the right hands.

A quick overview of how it works:

First you want to pick one or more spell effects. Let’s say you want to make a fireball spell. Pick Damage > Health as the effect. Then you will be asked to set the Magnitude which reads as follows: 1-1 + 1-1 per 1 level. The first 1-1 is the Base damage so if you set it at 5-10, the base damage of the spell is now between 5 to 10. The next 1-1 is the per level modifier. If you set this to 5-5 per 1 level and you are at level 3, the spell does 15 extra damage. You can also change the per level value to decrease casting cost of the spell since now it will only gain strength per level multiplier you set. “Per 2 levels” means the spell would only gain another 5-5 every even level.

Chance and Duration have the same modifiers, Duration is in game minutes.

Since you picked a Damage Health spell, you can also choose which damage type you want to use, so click on Fire. Finally, choose the single target at range option, name your spell and purchase it.

Almost all spells won’t allow you to change the spell type from Magicka, so don’t worry about that.

The general trick with the Spell Maker is to create high base values, low per level values early on and visa versa late game. A level 1 spell could be 20-20 + 1-1 per 10 levels but a level 10 spell would be 1-1 + 10-10 per 1 or 2 levels.

Lastly have fun with the game, it was designed to give a Table Top RPG experience within a first person CRPG. Role play your character while working through the main story. If you pick a thief character, go do thief things and the Thieves Guild will invite you into their group. Being your character can make the game a lot more fun than just blitzing through the story.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 26, 2023

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think MGS 5 was the first one on PC. They had that demo where you are pulling people out of a refugee camp. I dunno man, like is the expectation really that we should have played through multiple nes games and playstation exclusives to really get it? That seems nuts. It is what it is but asking that feels absurd. I feel like we're on a derail so I won't pursue that conversation further.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Goofballs posted:

I think MGS 5 was the first one on PC.
At least MGS 1 and 2 had PC versions.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh don’t play the NES metal gear games, they kind of suck. Metal Gear Solid is a good starting point.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Oh don’t play the NES metal gear games, they kind of suck. Metal Gear Solid is a good starting point.
Alternatively: Play them, but know going in that they suck. (If only to learn the true meaning of the phrase 'ahead of its time'.) The technology for a good stealth video game just wasn't there yet, but by god, did Metal Gear try.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 27, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I'd play the NES games for its jankiness. Kid me didn't get far, but I would have been annoyed at what happens through the game. It was a different beast from other games at the time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

girl dick energy posted:

Alternatively: Play them, but know going in that they suck. (If only to learn the true meaning of the phrase 'ahead of its time'.) The technology for a good stealth video game just wasn't there yet, but by god, did Metal Gear try.

Yeah, bad or janky games can be neat to explore as long as you know what you're getting. See: Jurassic Park Tresspasser, the poster child for this that had four or five huge ideas any one of which could have supported an entire game, but failed at being able to do any of them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, bad or janky games can be neat to explore as long as you know what you're getting. See: Jurassic Park Tresspasser, the poster child for this that had four or five huge ideas any one of which could have supported an entire game, but failed at being able to do any of them.

Or games whose mechanics are developed later but for the first entry in the series it was a royal mess. You think that the drag and throw mechanics I'm Amnesia The Dark Descent were finicky? Penumbra was the beta test for that. And yet it was a pretty solid trilogy besides.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Metal Gear 2 is fine

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

The NES version of Metal Gear 1 is a bad port of the original MSX version. It doesn't have the boss fight against the Metal Gear itself (which was kind of the entire point of the game!), replaces the Hind boss with an easy fight against a couple of chumps, fucks with the bases' layouts, adds pointless new areas, etc.

The second NES Metal Gear game (Snake's Revenge) had zero involvement by Kojima and isn't canon.

The original MSX games (Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake) are great games and very much worth playing. They were translated into English for the first time as bonus content for MGS3 and will also be included (along with Snake's Revenge) in the upcoming Metal Gear Master Collection in October. True fans will play them (Snake's Revenge is optional).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
what about tower of babel?