Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

sometimes i rewatch the speed force scene and lol and lmao at the idea of joss/wb producers being like “yeah we gotta cut this can he just
like push a truck or something” lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's a domino effect of cutting down Cyborg's role. If Cyborg doesn't have any of his family/backstory scenes, then there's no reason to give him the scene inside the motherboxes. If there's no motherbox scene, then there's no reason to power him up. If he's not going to be powered up, then there's no reason for Flash to be doing laps around the city to build the charge, and they have to give him something else to do.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
“I’m not broken, and I’m not alone”

Yeah but what if, and I’m just spitballing here, he says, “Booyah!” instead?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alexander Hamilton posted:

“I’m not broken, and I’m not alone”

Yeah but what if, and I’m just spitballing here, he says, “Booyah!” instead?

But with gravitas, so we all know it's an emotional line!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of people are really thrown by Cyborg's whole arc being around him being disabled. I remember one essay that got really weird without seeming to get that metaphor, and described him as 'castrated'.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of people are really thrown by Cyborg's whole arc being around him being disabled. I remember one essay that got really weird without seeming to get that metaphor, and described him as 'castrated'.

Those are the same people who watched Starship Troopers and missed the fascism subtext.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
No, they are the people who got it was about fascism, but thought starship troopers had no relation to american empire. Now they are watching himars strikes with phonk music and thinking war is grand.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
People really don't know how to understand the idea of disabled people having feelings and agency of their own rather than being a prop for abled people.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I know I'm on the tail end of this conversation and it's already in the rear view butt I have to say there's no need to dump on someone's post like this.

Robot Style posted:

It's a domino effect of cutting down Cyborg's role. If Cyborg doesn't have any of his family/backstory scenes, then there's no reason to give him the scene inside the motherboxes. If there's no motherbox scene, then there's no reason to power him up. If he's not going to be powered up, then there's no reason for Flash to be doing laps around the city to build the charge, and they have to give him something else to do.

I really was stunned at how central to the movie's themes Flash and Cyborg's characters were in Snyder's movie, it made me hate Joss Whedon even more than I already did lol

Also I don't know if it was intentional but I appreciated the extra struggle to break up the boxes compared to how in the first battle Zeus just like struts up to it and pulls them apart. Like the literal, actual gods are basically cheating levels of power even compared to the current Justice League.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 25, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tankbuster posted:

No, they are the people who got it was about fascism, but thought starship troopers had no relation to american empire. Now they are watching himars strikes with phonk music and thinking war is grand.

We can't all listen to the Nibelung all day

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Not much what's Nibelung with you?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Now that Chris Hemsworth and Zack Snyder are at Netflix, how long before they make a movie together?

And how long afterwards before Hemsworth ask Feigie to make Zack direct the next Thor?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm pretty sure Hemsworth is fully on-board with Taikia's slant.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

well why not posted:

Yeah IIRC Hemsworth is more for the comedic approach. I mean he's got genuine good timing with that stuff when it's done well (i.e., NOT most of Thor Ragnarok) but I get it.

Maybe he can get Snyder to direct commercial/presentation for his fitness app or something.

EDIT: Nothing against the app I never tried it myself, supposedly it's a really good selection of stuff.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

He actually did an interview a few weeks ago where he talked about how Thour got too silly and he wants to do something different with the character if he ever goes back. Basically said " even my kids thought it stunk so not doing that again"

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

McCloud posted:

He actually did an interview a few weeks ago where he talked about how Thour got too silly and he wants to do something different with the character if he ever goes back. Basically said " even my kids thought it stunk so not doing that again"
Yup.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/chris-hemsworth-criticizes-thor-love-and-thunder-silly-1235634333/amp/

quote:

”I think we just had too much fun. It just became too silly,” Hemsworth said about the movie. “It’s always hard being in the center of it and having any real perspective…I love the process, it’s always a ride. But you just don’t know how people are going to respond.”

Hemsworth said his biggest critics were his son’s friends. “It’s a bunch of eight-year-olds critiquing my film. ‘We thought this one had too much humor, the action was cool but the VFX weren’t as good,’” he said. “I cringe and laugh equally at it.”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

well why not posted:

Nope.

Also he’s sorta retiring from acting because he may or may not develop Alzheimer’s

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CelticPredator posted:

Nope.

Also he’s sorta retiring from acting because he may or may not develop Alzheimer’s

He refuted the idea of his retirement from acting earlier this month https://people.com/chris-hemsworth-his-genetic-predisposition-to-alzheimers-got-over-dramatized-7547163

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The humor in Ragnarok was definitely too much, but the movie had structural problems that had nothing to do with it. If you kill off Russel Crowe with a silly accent in the same scene you introduce him in, you got a problem.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grendels Dad posted:

The humor in Ragnarok was definitely too much, but the movie had structural problems that had nothing to do with it. If you kill off Russel Crowe with a silly accent in the same scene you introduce him in, you got a problem.

I think you're thinking of Love & Thunder, which had Crowe.

And that movie feels like it was murdered in re-shoots and editing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Timby posted:

I think you're thinking of Love & Thunder, which had Crowe.

And that movie feels like it was murdered in re-shoots and editing.

Yeah I was, sorry. That movie just wiped out any enthusiasm I had for upcoming Thor or Waititi projects. I actually liked Ragnarok quite a lot but Love & Thunder made it a lot worse for showing where that vibe would go.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The promo video where taika shits on the VFX of his own movie at the same time there was a massive raise in awareness of vfx Artist struggles basically made me instantly lost all respect for him.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The promo video where taika shits on the VFX of his own movie at the same time there was a massive raise in awareness of vfx Artist struggles basically made me instantly lost all respect for him.

I'm pretty sure he did similar with props made during Ragnarok, that scene where Thor improvs in the armory.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I keep seeing tweets like this:

https://twitter.com/Gh0stAnd0r/status/1670556574400774144?s=20

and I'm like oh man I loving hate all these. I genuinely preferred the first suicide squad to the Gunn one.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
What the hell does “no Superman film has been a complete success save the original” mean

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

James Gunn has basically made the same movie 4-5 times since hitting it real big, so I would hope for something, I dunno, a little more off the beaten path and a little less Guardians of the Galaxy 5. Like I don't think he'll make Superman an antisocial misfit, but lol, lmao if he does.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Every time I see a photo of James Gunn I've forgotten he looks like a living soyjack

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

What the hell does “no Superman film has been a complete success save the original” mean

It means someone has an extremely high opinion of Superman And The Mole Men.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
If James Gunn made a Connor Kent as Superman, that would probably work out just fine.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aipsh posted:

and I'm like oh man I loving hate all these. I genuinely preferred the first suicide squad to the Gunn one.
Stupid

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Aipsh posted:

I feel that. But I was not a Snyder fan for the longest time either so I keep reminding myself of that and try to keep an open mind. But I really don't like Gunn's work.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

roffels posted:

I feel that. But I was not a Snyder fan for the longest time either so I keep reminding myself of that and try to keep an open mind. But I really don't like Gunn's work.

I like Gunn's work, with the exception of Guardian's 2, but I can't imagine his very specific tone working for Superman.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m going in with an open mind. Zack Snyder wouldn’t have been making Superman movies forever, and even said something to the effect that they’re basically only borrowing the characters when they have them.

That said, Gunn is far away from the last pick for Superman I would have chosen. A lot of (untrue) complaints about Snyder’s works are that they’re not comic accurate, mysteriously don’t get said about Gunn, who, so far, makes original characters using the skins of semi-obscure characters in his big Marvel and DC movies. I somehow don’t think his Superman film is going to be quite as scrutinized as Man of Steel was among certain extremely online types.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Latent within every adaptation is the possibility of a good result. In recent years, the neo studio system has grown rancid and onanistic, especially in the superhero genre, but the flip side of WB's chaotic response to its hosed up and probably terminal business situation is that they might surprise us.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bongo Bill posted:

Latent within every adaptation is the possibility of a good result. In recent years, the neo studio system has grown rancid and onanistic, especially in the superhero genre, but the flip side of WB's chaotic response to its hosed up and probably terminal business situation is that they might surprise us.

Would you say that you have a fundamental belief in the potential of every adaptation to be a force for good? Is that what you're bringing us?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

I like Gunn's work, with the exception of Guardian's 2, but I can't imagine his very specific tone working for Superman.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m going in with an open mind. Zack Snyder wouldn’t have been making Superman movies forever, and even said something to the effect that they’re basically only borrowing the characters when they have them.

That said, Gunn is far away from the last pick for Superman I would have chosen. A lot of (untrue) complaints about Snyder’s works are that they’re not comic accurate, mysteriously don’t get said about Gunn, who, so far, makes original characters using the skins of semi-obscure characters in his big Marvel and DC movies. I somehow don’t think his Superman film is going to be quite as scrutinized as Man of Steel was among certain extremely online types.

Agree with both of these. The Guardians movies are great and have a lot of heart but they are very obviously about underdog misfits with a specific crass comedic tone that won't work for the specific character of Superman. My guess is we will have Jimmy Olsen and some of the supporting class making more of those types of jokes (Dave Bautista for Bizarro IMO).

And yeah there's already a lot of people making every possible excuse for this movie that won't be out for 5 years. If Gunn turned in Man of Steel except color shifted and with ~5 more jokes the same people who hate Snyder would be weeping tears of joy over a new modern classic. That's just something I've come to terms with and I'm not going to blame Gunn himself for that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should use the freakish Henry Cavil cgi model for Bizarro

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I watched Zack Snyder's Real Justice League again last night on Max, but this time in the B&W edition while I did something else. Gotta say it's still pretty good and at times great, with a great visual imagination. It's still a four hour movie that feels like it has an hour of fat that could've been cut at no loss, though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You know it's really odd to me that a lot of discourse around Superman is that he should be so easy to write a good story about. His comics have always struggled (I started reading in the 80s, after a reboot - and saw at least 4 more reboots, all of which fizzled), of the original run of 4 films half of them are between bad and terrible, his 2006 reboot was a snooze and a failure, his 2013 reboot pissed off a certain segment of people so hard they basically went nova and at least some are still steamed a decade later.

Really good Superman stories are so rare that you probably know them all. Like, if I told you about Superman: Doomed, would you have any idea what I was talking about?

At this point you have to wonder why the character has the reputation as sort of "dial-a-hero" easy guy to write a story about. It's clearly really hard to walk that line, to write a story with enough optimism, power, and lightness to satisfy a personally invested minority who are going to go white hot supernova if their needs aren't met while still actually having something that works as a compelling narrative for everyone else not in that group.

I guess what I'm saying is that I would not want to be the guy who has to say "oh yes, our upcoming Superman movie is the one. You're all going to love it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Also that person would have to somehow smooth over the waters of the people who liked the 2013 take while publicly shredding and making GBS threads on it for the incandescents.