Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

Someone should call corporate/HR then. In my experience they don’t like store level managers deciding major policy like this on the fly.

At my company a store manager decided he didn’t like front end staff wearing shorts or jeans after our dress code was significantly casualised - someone took it further and all of a sudden all the stores got a missive from head office making it clear that under no circumstances did store management have the right to impose dress requirements beyond what was explicitly stated in our dress code.

Oh, per Funktastic, it is a corporate thing. Knowing my SM, she's gonna be a hardass about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
You guys might remember my posting a few months ago about my manager Bonnie who constantly made me stay late, who insisted that me want to be off on time was a sign that I wasn't a good delivery driver, and in general was a pain in my rear end. She ended up leaving the company last year, although some of the other drivers think she was getting some heat from above because of HR issues. Anyway, today I found out that a lot of the issues we were having were not corporate based, but we're directly her decisions. As in, we would have four or five drivers show up to one pick-up point, each of them pick up one item, and then each of them go to the same zip code to drop off.

Extremely inefficient but that was what she wanted, because apparently she did the math and found that if the routes were all streamlined and efficient, most of the drivers could be done with their work within four hours. So she told our dispatch to fill up everyone's routes, and just keep us busy for the entire 8 hours of our shift, regardless of if the routes made sense or not. This was why so many people ended up having to stay late, and she was insane about people skipping lunch because if they did not take a lunch, she got hit with that. But if they did take a lunch, and we had to stay an hour late, that was fine in her eyes.

It's just darkly humorous to me because there were so many times dispatch had us do stupid inefficient routing, but because she told them to do it that way they were obligated to do so.

But now with the lack of same day city, all the drivers are working at best 2 to 3 hours a day and the rest of time we're sitting there twiddling our thumbs. Our current manager doesn't ask us if we want to go home early, or if you want to use a vacation or sick time to take the rest of the week off. He is entirely hands-off when it comes to routes or efficient work, he seems to spend most of his time in meetings and likely trying to find ways to ensure we keep all the drivers we can because if we drop four or five drivers, he likely won't have a job anymore.

Not that I miss doing the tires, or all the insanity that came with car parts or delivering medical equipment or trying to pick up medical equipment from extremely skeevy areas, but it is funny how we were literally bleeding money for months on end with same day city due to bad contracts, and now we're bleeding money still just by paying people to sit in parking lots. And they can't send us home because all of dispatch is currently working from home, and their job literally consists of them pushing one button about once an hour. They no longer make routes, they have an auto dispatch system for that, and there's not nearly enough work for them to do any manual delivery exceptions. So half the time if you call dispatch for any reason, you might hear them but you'll usually hear them quickly trying to turn off a movie or the sounds of a drive-thru or sounds of them being anywhere but at home at their work space. So if they can't hold dispatch accountable for 8 hours of work, and they pay them for that full 8 hours of work, they can't hold the driver accountable for sitting for 4 to 6 hours a day just scrolling on your phone.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Yesterday I found out that one of our managers at work knowing and 100% willingly violated AML laws(he took over after a middle manager refused to violate said laws and then did it).

I hope this will end up as funny as I expect it will.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
you can’t spell LMAO without AML

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

dovetaile posted:

Oh, per Funktastic, it is a corporate thing. Knowing my SM, she's gonna be a hardass about it.

Meanwhile we have a guy who called in ‘sick’ over 100 times in a goddamn year and he’s still with us. He’s back next week from taking 4 months vacation.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Sounds like you should ask him to mentor you. What a legend.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Yesterday I found out that one of our managers at work knowing and 100% willingly violated AML laws(he took over after a middle manager refused to violate said laws and then did it).

I hope this will end up as funny as I expect it will.

Anti...money laundering? Please keep us updated as much as you are legally able because this sounds fantastic.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Doomykins posted:

Sounds like you should ask him to mentor you. What a legend.

I have far to much work to do to take that much time off. Also I like my job and I need money for stuff. I can honestly say I enjoy just going in every night and hanging out with my coworkers, I’d miss them If I wasn’t ever there. You only get 11 paid sick days a year, hosed if I know how he makes ends meet being off as often as he is.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dovetaile posted:

Anti...money laundering? Please keep us updated as much as you are legally able because this sounds fantastic.

Seconding this, entertainment potential is high

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

dovetaile posted:

Well, I'm currently waiting for access to the anonymized AML whistleblowing site run by the financial crimes branch of the Danish police, so no excitement until they verify me, though if they don't do it by friday I might just walk down to the local police station and ask if I can hand in a report there.

It's not a very exciting case, it's just that there's a limit on the size of cash payments that stores are allowed to take, because very large cash payments tend to be untaxed income or the proceeds of crime, and this moron decided to take something like 250% the allowed legal max because he wanted the store to make money and, as far as I can tell, also apparently made himself a money mule by rolling it over his own accounts in some arcane fashion.

I'm not sure what legal boundaries would prevent me from talking about this since I'm also doing my darndest to report it and I'm not the idiot in trouble. If I was doing it on Facebook or some other social media tied to my real identity, I might want to not do it because my employer might try to spy on me or something, but I'm pretty sure none of our managers are on SA.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

any chance of getting a cut for being the whistleblower?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Tunicate posted:

any chance of getting a cut for being the whistleblower?

I don't think so, but that's not really my motivation either.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PurpleXVI posted:

and, as far as I can tell, also apparently made himself a money mule by rolling it over his own accounts in some arcane fashion.

:vince:

For the love of god please keep us updated

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I've been relatively quiet as late as I've basically solidified my role as "Guy in the corner who gets to visibly gently caress around at Amazon and not even the managers care because my job has to be staffed and I keep the area cleanest." Means I ignore about 95% of the drama at work, especially since I'm not training people anymore. I also work in basically the Amazon Twilight Zone where our building actually almost functions reasonably and isn't too much of a source of nightmares compared to others.

Well Amazon opened up another warehouse in the area and it's been even quieter because they took about a third of our workforce because the new warehouse has the same responsibilities, it's just newer...yet the same. Also for a good chunk of our workers it was closer to their home so same pay with shorter commute.

Anyways the new place is an absolute shitshow from what I've been told by those who went there to help train for a few weeks. Best story I've had is that the ship sorter was down for two days. Outbound work goes through one of two sorters: Big stuff goes through the "ship" sorter while small stuff and envelopes go through the "flats" sorter. Well nothing big can be shipped until the replacement part is shipped from Wisconson or wherever to Texas, right? Nah, they just shoved everything, literally everything, through the Flats sorter. The one designed for small/lightweight items.

Here's the thing: the flats sorter at the new place involves a system where the package/envelope is picked up by a robotic arm and placed onto a robot that looks like a footstool. The robot then carries it over to the right chute where it's dumped into the gaylord to be eventually loaded onto the truck. Only as said the Flat Sorter is designed for small, relatively lightweight items.

So the pneumatic robot arms were picking up items way too big and heavy for them and dropping them on the ground and the little carrier robots for two days until the Ship sorter was fixed. Breaking so many shipments while also damaging the robots and the arms. Guess they had spare parts for those.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So when the big sorter broke, they used the small sorter instead, and broke that as well? :v: That's a remarkable play.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yup! Or well apparently it limped on, just broke a lot of equipment on it and had to have broken, almost certainly leaking shipments cleaned off a lot.

Basically this is the line for the envelope containing your 8oz bottle of sexlube to be sorted on. Instead you'd have the equipment reaching down to grab something heavy, like some brake disks or a case of soda, picking it up and then dropping it on other equipment because it was too heavy. If everything somehow still worked it would then just dump that heavy (and maybe broken/leaking) item into a box on top of dozens of other shipments without any care or gentleness: just gravity and inertia.

It's even funnier because newly built/staffed buildings are expected to have breakdowns, fuckups and a bunch of people with no idea how to run them. So no one would have blamed them if they just said "Hey we can't ship anything big. Let our older brother site 30 minutes away handle it while we get the replacement part in, they're low on work." That's how the network is supposed to work: the warehouses pick up each other's slack! But no, Operations (i.e. loving management) was determined to have the bestest startup and not let "The nearest replacement part is several states away" get between them and their numbers.

The person who told me this story said she was asked if she wanted to sign up and transfer. "Nope. Can't leave here soon enough. This loony bin is all yours."

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Well that person won't be concerned about store sales goals anymore so technically successful right?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

So when the big sorter broke, they used the small sorter instead, and broke that as well? :v: That's a remarkable play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hyttagGsz0

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
Did anyone else's store get hit with multiple banks' processing being down yesterday? Probably one of the worst days I've had here yet, combined with us not being properly scheduled for Electric Forest (giant music festival) going on this weekend nearby.

To add a cherry on top 4 of my coworkers got busted smoking in the cul de sac near our dispensary after their shifts and now have misdemeanors for public consumption and $300-$500 fines.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sales rep accidentally ordered eleven cases instead of one..

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This is why you get someone else to check your order before sending it.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Sales rep accidentally ordered eleven cases instead of one..
Mate of mine did this with some banana flavoured yoghurt once. Wanted 5 boxes and accidentally ordered 50. Had like a 2month expiry as well so he had to spruik this poo poo flavour heaps.

njsykora posted:

This is why you get someone else to check your order before sending it.
Depends who you pick though. I'll happily sign my name and gamble on the probabilities you didn't gently caress up if it means I don't actually have to look.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Gwely Mernans posted:

Did anyone else's store get hit with multiple banks' processing being down yesterday? Probably one of the worst days I've had here yet, combined with us not being properly scheduled for Electric Forest (giant music festival) going on this weekend nearby.

To add a cherry on top 4 of my coworkers got busted smoking in the cul de sac near our dispensary after their shifts and now have misdemeanors for public consumption and $300-$500 fines.

Wtf, did cops just like, lurk near the dispensary ?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Wtf, did cops just like, lurk near the dispensary ?

does this surprise you?

i always see armed guards at dispensaries but they don't seem to be cops.

I just wish Biden would make weed loving legal across the country and end this bullshit.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cowslips Warren posted:

does this surprise you?

i always see armed guards at dispensaries but they don't seem to be cops.

I just wish Biden would make weed loving legal across the country and end this bullshit.

LOL he is not going to ever do that. The old man still buys into reefer madness and if his aides would let him he’d be cracking down on the legal states.

Also every dispensary I have ever seen has signs saying not to consume it on premises or inThe parking lot.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

I have far to much work to do to take that much time off. Also I like my job and I need money for stuff. I can honestly say I enjoy just going in every night and hanging out with my coworkers, I’d miss them If I wasn’t ever there. You only get 11 paid sick days a year, hosed if I know how he makes ends meet being off as often as he is.

you don't have to actively take the time off, but it can't hurt to know how to game the system in case you ever need to

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

therobit posted:

LOL he is not going to ever do that. The old man still buys into reefer madness and if his aides would let him he’d be cracking down on the legal states.

Also every dispensary I have ever seen has signs saying not to consume it on premises or inThe parking lot.

“I’m not high officer, but I ate a few gummies on the way to the car and now you’re really cutting into my buffer zone to get home before time turns funny”

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
We're in a bit of a weird location. I may be giving away my information a bit much but our dispensary is basically a road commission warehouse with a storefront added on that my company bought next to a salt storage facility. It's out in the boondocks BUT right off the highway and we're the first place you can buy weed coming from other states. We have no competition in a 15-20 minute radius.

There's a cul de sac (that's off private property) that we and the salt facility share and apparently they were the ones who called the cops because they don't like people parking and smoking there.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Gwely Mernans posted:

We're in a bit of a weird location. I may be giving away my information a bit much but our dispensary is basically a road commission warehouse with a storefront added on that my company bought next to a salt storage facility. It's out in the boondocks BUT right off the highway and we're the first place you can buy weed coming from other states. We have no competition in a 15-20 minute radius.

There's a cul de sac (that's off private property) that we and the salt facility share and apparently they were the ones who called the cops because they don't like people parking and smoking there.

Sounds like they're very... Salty about this.

:frogc00l:

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Wow the new attendance policy says calling out within 3 hours of your scheduled shift will be an unexcused absence. When the gently caress am I supposed to call out then (especially if I have an opening shift)?(I know the answer they want is never but emergencies happen.)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Hi thread, I do tech sometimes and also customer service sometimes and well right now I'm fully retail :toot:

I've worked retail before like quite a while back. But, now it's fun to cosplay 4 days a week as Randall I guess, getting back in to life. The customers are mostly nice. I had one person buying baking soda at 10:30pm in what boils down to a deserted rear end liquor store* I work at. Okay, gonna bake, maybe gonna clean out the fridge. I'm not gonna judge. It's half of an original recipe from the CIA to destroy black people and the only thing you're gonna buy, yeah it's cool. You're driving a beat up old cadillac in a place where no one does that, it's cool. Like calls to like. Stereotypes multiply like flies on me. Store manager/owner's son-in-law is super cool guy who I like. I don't care about his decisions in retail, many of which are good, some are bad, I'm not privy to the high council of price-setting. I just like that he keeps his cool. I'm not sure where I'm at on his Yeezy shoe buying position but that's kind of the sleep deprivation talking. I just wanted to pound out some words about where I'm at and say hello to fellow retail goons. Also, I like to sneak "have a better one" in there sometimes, for the reference to the ultimate retail movie, Blade Runner.

Having not done this for long I get people coming in buying weight of Kratom and I gather it's a bad scene with probably some bad consequences coming down the road for me and thee. This one lady comes in 40ish very tan talking to me in a peculiar way about how "her man" or "he" as if I know this dude but "he" likes Maeng Da and she always pays with big bills. I was a little nervous as she handed me a fifty a twenty some tens some fives to pay for something and she actually seems a little stunning if haggard because I can't quite count it as she walks away with the powder. The bills are stiff but the counterfeit pen shows yellow. Very odd experience. She seemed personable and me a goon am used to being found under a couch covered in cheeto dust right? I have the social skills of a nebbish. Customers come and go and I can't quite count this money in my hand and it's weird because I know a good reason I'm not on the ball in the morning and I figure my till will be down by $10 but of course it's not. This is a nice town, nice people nice place. She's a nice woman not trying to get one over on me. Why three twenty dollar bills and two tens and four fives whatever it was perplexed my early morning pudding brain, idk?

I hope she's not doing the stuff herself, and I hope "he" is nice. Or that that stuff just gets banned.

*does not sell liquor as such unless Fireballs count

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 26, 2023

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
When I worked in a bank branch I had one manager who would not accept a call out the night before since he felt you should see if you were well enough in the morning. I called in for the next day one night from the urgent care because I had been diagnosed with pneumonia and had been ordered to bed rest for 2 weeks. This was before I was aware of the FMLA. He scolded me for calling in the night before and said to call him by 6 the next morning.

After missing four days off work he pressured me over the phone to come in, and I relented. I got there and the only other employee there was a pregnant woman who had had 4 miscarriages and several rounds of IVF who was also suffering from awful morning sickness. I made her stay on the other side of the branch from me because I didn’t want to be responsible for her 5th miscarriage.

Anyway gently caress managers and companies that make it hard to call out. For whatever reason this seems to be most common with customer-facing roles. As soon as I got to the back office most of the people I dealt with were treating me like a human. Now when I send an instant message to my boss saying I don’t feel well she only replies with “I hope you feel better soon.”

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Yeah I've done my time in retail and corporate is completely different. Came down with covid and apologised because I only realised when I woke up 5am feeling like garbage and I was rostered to start 7am. Text the boss and he tells me not to worry and and get better.

Took 2 weeks off because I felt like absolute trash the whole time and literally zero people got pissed.

Back in retail I remember having a SM compliment me on how few sick days I used. "Some people here just don't have the work ethic and take a sick day on a simple cold"
Like mate I would prefer if they did. This guy came in with the flu one time and knocked out 90% of my team for over a week.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Someone stole or somehow lost the key to the plastic baler at this Walmart. That was Friday and they still have to go get the key from the cardboard baler to use on the plastic one.

Taking bets on whether it ever gets replaced.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Someone stole or somehow lost the key to the plastic baler at this Walmart. That was Friday and they still have to go get the key from the cardboard baler to use on the plastic one.

Taking bets on whether it ever gets replaced.

It's now just the baler key and will be kept in a place that's inconvenient for everybody who needs it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

Anyway gently caress managers and companies that make it hard to call out. For whatever reason this seems to be most common with customer-facing roles. As soon as I got to the back office most of the people I dealt with were treating me like a human. Now when I send an instant message to my boss saying I don’t feel well she only replies with “I hope you feel better soon.”

It’s because if they weren’t strict they would have to hire more people and why do that when running a Skelton crew into the ground is more profitable ?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

It’s been 20+ years since I worked retail (I worked a summer at Walgreens), and even that doesn’t really count for much. Noticed an odd thing at the grocery store Sunday morning. I am waiting in the checkout line when what I assume is some sort of manager goes running around loudly asking the clerks if they have checked out some guy who bought ice. At this point there were not a lot of lanes open, but the older guy is outside the store at this point with a single bag of ice in the child seat of his cart.

I don’t think any of the clerks confirmed they checked the guy out, partly as the clerk in my lane was an older lady who clearly couldn’t remember who any customer was after they left her sight (I don’t blame her in the slightest) But what is the point? Just so the manager can file a police report, or mark it down on a loss report?

With only 2 staffed lanes and the self checkout, I am not surprised that the random old guy just walked off with a small bag of ice. Maybe because this is in a nicer suburb there hasn’t been as much blatant theft, so the manager was a little more worked up than would seem normal for a couple dollar bag of ice.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Or his bonus depends on shrinkage being under X%

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Probably every store manager level on down to the lowest key holder thinks shrink is the biggest problem for a retail store, because the people above them are adamant that it is. Every store I go to the back room of or worked at has signs everywhere about how shrink will kill the company if not kept under control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Right it's definitely that and totally not an inevitability that the executive sociopaths have calculated costs them less money than properly staffing the store would.