Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Rates starting at $71/night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Anders posted:

The barrier troops were reservists belonging to the same division, so it would be pretty dumb for the morale of both the front line and reservists if the latter started killing their compatriots.

That's a weird way to sell it, barrier troops were by design newly raised attachments to regular formations (in 1918 and in WW2). Like I wouldn't consider an attachment subordinate to the NKVD anything like what you described

Anders posted:

It was more likely you got a shower and a hot meal before being sent back to the front rather than a bullet

lmfao. Yeah they sent you to a special camp first though, probably fine

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

weg posted:

The truce they have erected is extremely firm and vascular. A throbbing and turgid peace will surely result from thier intercourse.

https://y.yarn.co/17537722-773f-4333-81ab-5ae699711570.mp4

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
https://goo.gl/maps/GsreLrYLfM5sVZam9

Bleak.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

It sounds loving exhausting to constantly play a game of not gay and have to constantly reinforce the narrative of what a big strong man you are, like prison rules but prison rules: society edition with an ever-present threat of sexual assault thrown in.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Modern Russian Regime makes a hell of a lot more sense to me now that I have realized it's apparently just even worse written Oz

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it's like the macbeth episode but richard III and gayer

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Russian regime is Jay from Inbetweeners

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Ride the window elevator to ground floor for free.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Minsk looks like, "What if soviet architecture, but in the 2010's?"

Or a backrooms liminal space made up of infinite Holiday Inn Expresses.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Minsk looks like, "What if soviet architecture, but in the 2010's?"

Or a backrooms liminal space made up of infinite Holiday Inn Expresses.

I looked up some images and :yikes: Minsk looks like a dull place to live

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Went to Minsk about 10 years ago. It's pretty souless. It functions which is the most important thing I guess but the brutalist architecture and weird North Korea interior vibes in places is not a good feel.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

4.5 ⭐️ reviews tho

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Der Kyhe posted:

You can't just turn off the fuel rods, or really even make them inert. You can unload the reactor into a storage pool or a loading pool, or put the fuel rods to transport pods, but that is just moving the problem around, not making it go away. The plant isn't producing anything at the moment but if you blow up the containment building and damage the reactor or whatever vessel the fuel is in right now, its going to light up like Chernobyl without a doubt, and if nothing more then at least leak contamination to the ground water and soil.

EDIT: I've said it in the previous threads and I say it again, I fail to see how someone vindictive and evil as Putin wouldn't rig the ZPP to go off when the Russians are forced to withdraw, or use the plant as a Hail Mary tactic to take the entire Europe as a hostage when things start to go wronger than usual for the Russians. That plant has six reactors, more than enough to spill contamination across several countries.

This isn't exactly true - and comparing it to Chernobyl misses a few things - like the difference between graphite moderated and water moderated reactors. Yes, the spent fuel would likely present a problem, but without anything to actively moderate and create further fission, at best they'd get really hot and cause small fires and spread contamination that way - Chernobyl was as bad as it was because fission continued happening after the reactors destruction due to availability of moderating material.

It won't be nearly as bad as Chernobyl where the graphite in the debris actively kept fission going even after the reactor was destroyed, but it would still be bad. Regardless the possible contamination and destruction warrants severe outrage. Also - Chernobyl was so bad because the reactor ran away in the middle of fission, a bunch of overheated spent fuel in cold reactors would be bad, but not as bad. The reactors have been cold for months at this point.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 26, 2023

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

TulliusCicero posted:

its got some exiting parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri5E9sk_BTk&t=108s

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Archer83Able/status/1673315645864157184

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Ah the famous Coward Johnson Suites.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

It really depends. This hotel seems to be surrounded by soulless apartment blocks which exist in any large city, but the center is somewhat more fun. One of the bar streets usually has stuff going on

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=138gX3wolOo&pp=ygUKd29yZiBtaW5zaw%3D%3D

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sekenr posted:

It really depends. This hotel seems to be surrounded by soulless apartment blocks which exist in any large city, but the center is somewhat more fun. One of the bar streets usually has stuff going on

Projecting images of a nicer place to live on the outside of the buildings.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

The Modern Russian Regime makes a hell of a lot more sense to me now that I have realized it's apparently just even worse written Oz

Oz was written mainly to come up with more and more hosed up ways to murder people. So yes.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Did someone say Minsk?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Well, you made a long journey from Milan to Minsk, Rochelle, Rochelle.

anyway

bikefallmeme_CIAversion.jpg

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1673327472601964552

camps in Belarus built for wagnerites? far from the UA border (or frontline)

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1673331354824585216

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Anders posted:

2 hours 40 from Narva, Estonia to St. Petersburg. 8 hours from Ludza, Latvia to Moscow. 2 hours 45 from Midininkaj, Lithuania to Minsk, Belarus. 1 hour 20 from Braniewo, Poland to Kaliningrad. 3 hours from Kirkenes, Norway to Murmansk

....and seven days to the Rhine!' *Soviet intensifies*

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dwesa posted:

anyway

Yes...."camps"

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

weg posted:

Coward Johnson Suites.

Too many bangers itt

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Dwesa posted:

anyway

Man it's gotta be fun being a civilian living in the town next to Camp Wagner

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Minsk?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
So did Prigozhin take some kind of deal where he and his men just sit in paid time-out in Belarus for a bit while Russia scrambles to figure out how to deal with them?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Dwesa posted:

Chef Boyar P tried to switch roles with Shoigu by suggesting a menage à trois with Putin but they were all on board so he hastily retreated.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Clerical Terrors posted:

So did Prigozhin take some kind of deal where he and his men just sit in paid time-out in Belarus for a bit while Russia scrambles to figure out how to deal with them?

Its probably much simpler than that. They drove a dump truck full of money to him and he backed off. Dont ever forget that for Russians this entire war is about money ans stealing everything from Ukraine.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Clerical Terrors posted:

That's what it looks like, at least the broad strokes of it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Prigozhin: “are they booing me?”

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Burns posted:

Its probably much simpler than that. They drove a dump truck full of money to him and he backed off. Dont ever forget that for Russians this entire war is about money ans stealing everything from Ukraine.

His stated reason for starting this rebellion though are:

1. Russia's not trying hard enough to win. More warcrimes, full mobilizzzation.

2. The reasons given for starting the war (Nazi's, demilitarisation, NATO expansion) were all lies, its about rich Russians plundering Ukraine like they plundered Luhansk, Donets and Crimea. (Also all of Russia.)

3. The Russian Ministry of Defense is getting Russian and Wagner soldiers killed in far greater amounts than is reported. Russia is losing while claiming to be winning.

4. Whenever Wagner gets a win the MOD claims it as a Russian military win, says nothing about Wagner involvement, then stops supplying Wagner with ammo and artillery/air support for a while, so Wagner stops winning so much.

See page 433:

spankmeister posted:

This is a pretty interesting discussion but meanwhile the fight between Wagner and the MoD went hot and it sure looks like Prigozhin is staging a coup.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672314259907158028

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 26, 2023

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Victis posted:

That's a weird way to sell it, barrier troops were by design newly raised attachments to regular formations (in 1918 and in WW2). Like I wouldn't consider an attachment subordinate to the NKVD anything like what you described

lmfao. Yeah they sent you to a special camp first though, probably fine
There were two types of barrier troops - the reservists who were close to the front lines and the NKVD that was in the back and acted like MPs

Some were probably imprisoned too - but contrary to popular belief the USSR had limited manpower, and starting to imprison soldiers would not only reduce the combat strength, but tie up people to be prison guards instead of soldiers

But go ahead and find sources that imprisonment was the norm and not exceptions- ‘cause I couldn’t find any last time I looked

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

This isn't exactly true - and comparing it to Chernobyl misses a few things - like the difference between graphite moderated and water moderated reactors. Yes, the spent fuel would likely present a problem, but without anything to actively moderate and create further fission, at best they'd get really hot and cause small fires and spread contamination that way - Chernobyl was as bad as it was because fission continued happening after the reactors destruction due to availability of moderating material.

It won't be nearly as bad as Chernobyl where the graphite in the debris actively kept fission going even after the reactor was destroyed, but it would still be bad. Regardless the possible contamination and destruction warrants severe outrage. Also - Chernobyl was so bad because the reactor ran away in the middle of fission, a bunch of overheated spent fuel in cold reactors would be bad, but not as bad. The reactors have been cold for months at this point.

Exactly which part of the "you cannot just turn off the fuel rods, and if you explode away the vessel the fuel is in and the containment building housing it, you end up with burning fuel rods exposed to outside, contaminating and irradiating all surrounding places" was a lie as you seem to be accusing me about lying about this?

Graphite isn't magical stuff that makes the radiation go away, it just makes it easier to control the reaction and lessens the risk of boiling over. And if the Russians really are going to purposefully destroy the plant and cause largest possible catastrophe as an outcome, don't you think they plan ahead for this?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Der Kyhe posted:

Graphite isn't magical stuff that makes the radiation go away, it just makes it easier to control the reaction and lessens the risk of boiling over. And if the Russians really are going to purposefully destroy the plant and cause largest possible catastrophe as an outcome, don't you think they plan ahead for this?

This assumes the Russians plan in general which is a bit optimistic given everything we've seen in the past 16 months

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Der Kyhe posted:

Exactly which part of the "you cannot just turn off the fuel rods, and if you explode away the vessel the fuel is in and the containment building housing it, you end up with burning fuel rods exposed to outside, contaminating and irradiating all surrounding places" was a lie as you seem to be accusing me about lying about this?

You didn't even understand what I said: Graphite doesn't make radiation go away, I never said that at all. I said as an active moderator it made the disaster at Chernobyl worse by sustaining fission even after the reactor was destroyed. Water moderated reactors decrease reactivity as the water is removed, so at worse your spent fuel overheats from decay products, but this is part of why they shut down the reactors down months ago, unless Russia has turned the reactors back on without the IAEA knowing, they are cold right now and have been for months. They could lose their coolant and at worse they'll overheat, maybe melt a bit.

EorayMel posted:

This assumes the Russians plan in general which is a bit optimistic given everything we've seen in the past 16 months

This. At worst they'll damage the spent fuel pools and maybe the reactor coolant loops. I cannot see them having enough explosives present to damage the core. Russia is not great at "planning". There will be releases from the overheating fuel for sure, and its still a problem, but comparing it to Chernobyl is kinda missing some critical points that made Chernobyl as bad as it was.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 26, 2023

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Der Kyhe posted:

The part where you said it was going to "light up like Chernobyl" is probably what they're taking issue with? The fuel requires the moderator to keep the reaction sustained (or increasing, in the case of a meltdown). Chernobyl's design used graphite as a moderator, and even when the reactor was destroyed the graphite was still there among the fuel sustaining the reaction. ZNPP uses water as the moderator, if the reactor is destroyed it's not going to keep sustaining the reaction. Of course the fuel is still radioactive and that's bad but it's not Chernobyl bad.

Edit: I'm not certain if that's a totally accurate read of what happened at Chernobyl, but either way it was a full meltdown which you can't reproduce by just blowing up fuel rods.

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Anders posted:

But go ahead and find sources that imprisonment was the norm and not exceptions- ‘cause I couldn’t find any last time I looked

Soldiers who broke discipline in the Soviet military in WW2 were typically sent to penal units and not imprisoned. Don't know which you'd prefer if given the choice* I think the idea that the most likely punishment would be "a hot meal and a shower" before going to the front is ludicrous for either side of the Eastern Front in WW2 btw.

*like the gulags, many penal units were "stiffened" with violent criminals and gangsters, who, along with the NKVD guards, who would shoot penal soldiers if they retreated without orders, maintained an exceptionally harsh regime of discipline