Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
bad news about the fight :(

https://www.sportsmanor.com/the-fig...ark-zuckerberg/
https://twitter.com/mayemusk/status/1671998408771379201?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zarlog posted:

Lol I'd love to hear more about this. I don't follow the topic of gender affirming care enough to know what you're talking about.

technically, putting TruckNutz on your F-550 that you only ever take on paved roads to Costco is gender confirming surgery.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
elon has that weird pathetic alt account where he posts as one of his kids, i don't see why he wouldn't also impersonate his mother

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

pretty much all cosmetic surgery or chemical treatment is to help with mild to severe dysphoria and could be seen as gender affirming.

hair plugs, HGH, steroids, mole removal, invisalign etc. Even exercising for the look instead of health. People are all trying to make their bodies appear how they want to be presented.

Getting a haircut is gender affirming body modification.

Elon's jawline was cosmetically enhanced and that was gender affirming

etc

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

source: I read Judith Butler's wiki page and clicked a few links

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
my gender is a firm

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Antonymous posted:

pretty much all cosmetic surgery or chemical treatment is to help with mild to severe dysphoria and could be seen as gender affirming.

hair plugs, HGH, steroids, mole removal, invisalign etc. Even exercising for the look instead of health. People are all trying to make their bodies appear how they want to be presented.

etc
yes and no

in a lacanian framework dysphoria is the discrepancy that develops when someone encounters themselves in the mirror stage, that is, they see themselves as a unified self, versus an imaginary or fictional self. and then a lifetime spent reconciling the differences.

Then there is the Symbolic order of things: the shared meanings, cultural contexts, and social norms that influence people's perceptions about themselves and the others. humans are also beings that are shaped by desires and overwhelming desire to see themselves as being to be desired by Others. When someone posts a HDR-enhanced selfie on the beach of Ibiza with a $20 margarita followed by some hashtags to Facebook or Twitter, they do this because they have seen themselves to be a subject of desire and have desired other people's experiences, so by putting that out there they're implicitly wanting to be desired they way they have coveted the others.

So dysphoria can further be seen in two ways: not just the discrepancy between the mirror stage of the actualized self versus the idealized self, but also (or alternatively) the discrepancy of the actualized self to the symbolic order of wanting to be desired. sometimes both, sometimes one.

so when someone gets square-jaw surgery or hair plugs, the dysphoria they're resolving is the desire to be desired by the Other in the symbolic order against their actualized 'I'. gender dysphoria can include both aspects, but I think more typically what something like taking spiro is resolving is the discrepancy between the actualized mirror-self versus the idealized self.

idk if that makes sense

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:49 on Jun 26, 2023

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Xaris posted:

yes and no

in a lacanian framework dysphoria is the discrepancy that develops when someone encounters themselves in the mirror stage, that is, they see themselves as a unified self, versus an imaginary or fictional self. and then a lifetime spent reconciling the differences.

Then there is the Symbolic order of things: the shared meanings, cultural contexts, and social norms that influence people's perceptions about themselves and the others. humans are also beings that are shaped by desires and overwhelming desire to see themselves as being to be desired by Others. When someone posts a HDR-enhanced selfie on the beach of Ibiza with a $20 margarita followed by some hashtags to Facebook or Twitter, they do this because they have seen themselves to be a subject of desire and have desired other people's experiences, so by putting that out there they're implicitly wanting to be desired they way they have coveted the others.

So dysphoria can further be seen in two ways: not just the discrepancy between the mirror stage of the actualized self versus the idealized self, but also (or alternatively) the discrepancy of the actualized self to the symbolic order of wanting to be desired. sometimes both, sometimes one.

so when someone gets square-jaw surgery or hair plugs, the dysphoria they're resolving is the desire to be desired by the Other in the symbolic order against their actualized 'I'. gender dysphoria can include both aspects, but I think more typically what something like taking spiro is resolving is the discrepancy between the actualized mirror-self versus the idealized self.

idk if that makes sense

Concerning

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

my gender is a firm

you're a one-man death machine

now make this city bleed

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Antonymous posted:

It's mostly to keep the hair out of my eyes and mouth tbh.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
bluechecks have decided that some nazis at a protest were actually jews/feds in disguise
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1673144027808698368
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1673147299428712449

https://twitter.com/drfrensor/status/1673060559971811329

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
i have no idea wtf im watching but ok

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Antonymous posted:

etc

Dysmorphia is different than dysphoria. Off topic.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
breathing is gender affirming

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

OctaMurk posted:

breathing is gender affirming

this is true. If you stop breathing for long enough, you stop being woke altogether.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I love that the meaning of the insult "bluechecks" has changed so radically in such a short time

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Saved by his fuckin mum hahahahha

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

im honestly kinda surprised it took dana white a minute to come around on this and unironically advocate for it. the ufc is, at least from the promotional side, identical to pro wrestling. they know the only way they get crossover traction from people who don't wear tapout shirts is with stunts like this

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

my gender is a firm

Looks pretty a-loose to me!

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

I love the "they're feds!!" poo poo because Unicorn Riot unmasked some of the dipshits in my area after they got caught vandalizing statues and murals. Shockingly, they're not feds; one of 'em works at his parent's motorcycle garage.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Zarlog posted:

Lol I'd love to hear more about this. I don't follow the topic of gender affirming care enough to know what you're talking about.

Theres probably other areas but I'm referring specifically to the steroid community who seem to have a lot of skinny teenagers worried they look too feminine and trying to become hulks like the roided out moviestars they see on TV.
When I was getting fit back in the 2000s skinnyripped Brad Pitt was the look everyone wanted, now that's considered disgustingly feminine and this lot all wanna be massive and are obsessed with not being genetically masculine enough.

So they take testosterone to become more masculine, only oops, taking external testosterone actually shuts down your natural testosterone production so you actually begin to transition towards a woman and your testicles shrink, your boner goes soft and you get breasts.

So you have to taken even more drugs (known to these addicts as a stack) to try to prevent that happening and stay masculine

The roid subreddits are a real interesting place to gawk, if sad

red19fire
May 26, 2010

They always seem to ignore the most important part of bodybuilding, which is a healthy diet and 4-6 hours a day of lifting weights. Most bodybuilders are on a fraction of the stack that these Reddit weirdos think they are.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Also the eternal strongman physique vs bodybuilder physique thing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there was an incel interview article a while back and at least one of the people interviewed almost certainly had some form of body dysmorphic disorder. they were like, obsessively focused on their jawline shape.

one of the big practical differences is that gender-affirming care has good evidence of being effective treatment for gender dysphoria, but cosmetic surgery does not have any evidence of effectiveness against body dysmorphia, and in fact some surgeons will screen patients for it because of incidents where people with dysmorphia harass their surgeon, or even attempt suicide because surgery didn't "fix" their nose or something.

anyway, Elon Musk Ftw.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Decon posted:

I love the "they're feds!!" poo poo because Unicorn Riot unmasked some of the dipshits in my area after they got caught vandalizing statues and murals. Shockingly, they're not feds; one of 'em works at his parent's motorcycle garage.
I love it because it makes them paranoid that their next planned hate march is a trap and suspiciously eyeing each other for traitors.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

red19fire posted:

They always seem to ignore the most important part of bodybuilding, which is a healthy diet and 4-6 hours a day of lifting weights. Most bodybuilders are on a fraction of the stack that these Reddit weirdos think they are.

it also seemed really clear that exercising normally for 6 months would get you the same/better results as working out on steroids for 3 months, ending your cycle and losing all your gains cause your testosterone production broke down so you have to spend another 3 months trying to keep them

but there are those graphs showing that you can get hench while you play games BEYOND YOUR GENETIC LIMIT so they dont seem to realise that

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Raiad posted:

everything must grow at an increasing rate forever, once there are enough humans on earth space travel and colonization will naturally happen, like getting enough gacha pulls for an einstein or eight

How else are you going to get enough desperate suckers to sign up for indentured servitude on The Colonies™

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Going to mars sounds Ftw.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

red19fire posted:

and 4-6 hours a day of lifting weights.

lol

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

destroy all gender

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Gender ftw.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
I assume he means 4-6 hours a week.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

4-6 hours of lifting weights means 4-5 hours of sitting on the bench and looking at your phone

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i recommend playing one-handed games, like JRPGs.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i recommend playing one-handed games, like JOIs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
imagine... being able to lift with both hands while gaming with elon musk's neuralink. the future is closer than you think

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

you could do that with xbox’s Kinect

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

euphronius posted:

4-6 hours of lifting weights means 4-5 hours of sitting on the bench and looking at your phone

:hmmyes:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

euphronius posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

euphronius posted: