Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Starfield will do fine and if it works will be a good game. Goons are stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Hatebag posted:

I only pay full price for fromsoft games. A lotta games nowadays take a couple patches to be playable anyway plus there's just so many games and i have a backlog of stuff to go through.
Been considering getting sf6, though, because the playerbase will probably drop off pretty soon and then it will just be a core of impossibly hard maniacs brutally defeating me

nah street fighter doesn’t really have that issue as much as smaller games do. you’ll always have a pack of just dogshit terrible herbs like me in the wood leagues.

Heaven help you if you start getting into platinum ranks.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Mr Hootington posted:

My man the diablo 4 train wreck was pretty clear after the beta.

I don't think any other game released this year will be worth $70 except starfield if it works.

Armored Core

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

RealityWarCriminal posted:

maybe this is the cope speaking but Starfield is going to bomb

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If it looked like anything more strenuous than Fallout 4 in space I'd be inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt, but there's nothing in the previews that make it look like an 8 year development cycle that was meticulously planned which means it's was actually like 6 years flailing in pre-production and then the last 2 spent crunching trying to turn a bunch of assets into a game

olives black posted:

i seriously can't think of a more generic title than "starfield". please help me think of a more generic title

that sucks, it deserves better

here ya go homies, seems like you're lost https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=44

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan
I would also say cities skylines 2 would be worth $70 lol we all know that’s not the real price of the game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

olives black posted:

that sucks, it deserves better

the twitter crop fucks up the point:

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

nah street fighter doesn’t really have that issue as much as smaller games do. you’ll always have a pack of just dogshit terrible herbs like me in the wood leagues.

Heaven help you if you start getting into platinum ranks.

Ok then, i can hold off on that then. They'll probably release a dozen different editions of it anyway so maybe I'll wait for the hyper turbo mega champion edition

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

gradenko_2000 posted:

the twitter crop fucks up the point:

oh. well then :unsmith:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hoot is this thing just reflexive or are you really trying to fish for an argument that horny anime square-mashing slideshow shouldn't have to suffer to live in a world with goofy anime square-mashing slideshow? Just enjoy it, dont none of this matta

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Hoot is this thing just reflexive or are you really trying to fish for an argument that horny anime square-mashing slideshow shouldn't have to suffer to live in a world with goofy anime square-mashing slideshow? Just enjoy it, dont none of this matta

It's a gimmick, they're a gimmick poster

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Starfield is going to make a gorillion dollars even if it doesnt work and 90% of the people here hating on it will be pre-ordering the deluxe edition after a few more trailers

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I don’t play a ton of games these days so I don’t mind paying full price for a game every 2 or 3 months

shame about Diablo 4 though, definitely got burned there

i made a helpful flow chart for you to use in the future to avoid getting burned again:

IF game is made by BLIZZARD

THEN don't buy at launch

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Starfield is going to make a gorillion dollars even if it doesnt work and 90% of the people here hating on it will be pre-ordering the deluxe edition after a few more trailers

I'm excited for product but it's goofy not to talk about the fact that drat near every game that's been in an 8 year development cycle has been shambolic on release

maybe Todd Howard will be the exception and prove to have managed the hell out of the project for its duration though

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

People who think zelda: TotK has a deep and interesting story are saying final fantasy 16's story is bad.

That's right

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I watched the trailers for starfield and it looked like a games I already played.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Red Baron posted:

Armored Core

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Starfield is gonna be a broken piece of poo poo at launch with every system either not working or being half-baked to hell

it will make a billion dollars in the first week and be Bethesda's most successful game ever

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Starfield is gonna be a broken piece of poo poo at launch with every system either not working or being half-baked to hell

it will make a billion dollars in the first week and be Bethesda's most successful game ever

A microcosm

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 357 days!
i will put 80 hours in starfield and be so goddamn mad the whole time

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the reviewers that were complaining about 16’s story have severe brain worms, this poo poo rules

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm gonna put the same number of hours in Starfield as I did in Fallout 4

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
a game can be bad and still be something you play for hundreds of hours

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Augus posted:

the reviewers that were complaining about 16’s story have severe brain worms, this poo poo rules

these aren't mutually exclusive

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

very true

thanks to PC Game Pass, i will likely put a few hours into Starfield to see for my self how it is. I have very low expectations, but will be fair in my assessment

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

it’s wild that it took them this long to come up with what will be their most popular game yet. they’re going to make a ton of empty worlds and modders will simply fill in all the empty space for them.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

gradenko_2000 posted:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Epic High Five posted:

i might buy it if it significantly caters to my, well... *nods to own rap sheet*

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Just saying how stupid it is that people who cried due to Digimon: Survive's story shouldn't be taken seriously.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Red Baron posted:

it’s wild that it took them this long to come up with what will be their most popular game yet. they’re going to make a ton of empty worlds and modders will simply fill in all the empty space for them.

No man's sky beat them to it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Red Baron posted:

this is the gambit and this is why they will succeed

Starbound and No Man's Sky proved out that people will put hundreds of hours of playtime and free development into just the promise of a neat space game

Space is loving cool
Who doesn't want to Star Trek around up there

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i will admit that using the jumpjets to fly above the enemies and shoot them with a heavy grenade launcher looks very fun and will be what I build my spaceman to do

if they manage to make that part of the game functional and enjoyable, i will probably like Starfield

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

lovely stupid plots are frequently funny, i thought that was the entire premise of the numbered ff games

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

this is the gambit and this is why they will succeed

Starbound and No Man's Sky proved out that people will put hundreds of hours of playtime and free development into just the promise of a neat space game

Space is loving cool
Who doesn't want to Star Trek around up there

Now see, Starbound. There's a halfway decent title with the word "star" in it.

Starfield, though? Like am I gonna frolic through a field of stars, or am I just gonna watch radar

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DsGZYW_DTEg&feature=share8

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

lovely stupid plots are frequently funny, i thought that was the entire premise of the numbered ff games

FF8's orphan student paramilitary organization that have to kill the moon is a personal favorite

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is true, but people should play games they do not enjoy playing or supposedly hate for incomprehensible reasons.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Augus posted:

the reviewers are mad they put all this magic stuff in a final fantasy game

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I hope Starfield has Skyrim leveling where you have no cap and can unlock all skills if you use them. It was always fun to do that in the ES games and was the one thing that bugged me in the fallouts.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

turn off the TV posted:

nah a lot of the criticisms i saw were people just completely failing to understand basic storytelling. Like, these people are operating at a fourth grade reading level

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I hope it has mega-stacking sneak attack damage and you can creep up to the space dragon pop it in the eye with your cork gun and watch it explode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As long as they don't ruin it with game-as-a-service bullshit Starfield will probably be fine (though I'm pretty sure the game plan is to let modders make it into a playable game, as per usual with Bethesda games). So I'm looking forward to seeing how they ruin it with game-as-a-service bullshit.