Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is Starfield going to be the prophecied third coming of Paid Mods though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Lone Badger posted:

There's been two other instances? My understanding is that there's been a persistent degree of back-and-forth on this internally at Bethesda Game Studios, and that the "seed" of the concept was unsurprisingly dreamed up in 2006 by Joel Burgess, a senior level designer (not even a modeller!) responsible for the infamous horse armor DLC. But it was almost ten years later--in 2015--when it finally manifested with that godawful Creation Club. I guess you could go back even further to 1998 when the undertaker threw mankind off Hell in a Cell, and plummeted sixteen feet through an announcer's table.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Will I be able to kiss my spaceship and where?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dorkopotamis posted:

Will I be able to kiss my spaceship and where?

On the poop deck

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

Yes. Todd mentioned in one of the recent interviews that modders should be able to make a living off of their work.
That's true I guess, but I'm hoping we find out more before it launches. Not a deal breaker but one of the reasons I haven't pre-ordered yet.
What was the percentage of Creation Club vs free for Fallout 4?
Can NexusMods be locked out for a while?
Is there any talk amongst modders?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

PeePot posted:

I imagine that they'll continue to encourage the Creation Club in a way that runs parallel with the "free mods markets" like NexusMods, and individual modders can use one or the other at their own discretion. I doubt that Bethesda is going to bother locking down the modding ecosystem to Creation Club only releases.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
and when he says, "Modders shoild be allowed to make money off their work", he means "I should be allowed to make money off of Modders' work"

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

OctaMurk posted:

and when he says, "Modders shoild be allowed to make money off their work", he means "I should be allowed to make money off of Modders' work"

You could argue that Bethesda provides the platform for modders to make money, a little bit like App Store etc.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

PeePot posted:

Yes. Todd mentioned in one of the recent interviews that modders should be able to make a living off of their work.
That's true I guess, but I'm hoping we find out more before it launches. Not a deal breaker but one of the reasons I haven't pre-ordered yet.
What was the percentage of Creation Club vs free for Fallout 4?
Is there any talk amongst modders?

Creation Club mods are a tiny fraction of the overall amount of mods.

Creation Club has far stricter requirements than all the free filehosts. To get on it, a modder has to actually meet professional deadlines, and communicate with Bethesda QA.

https://creationclub.bethesda.net/en

quote:

If I’m accepted to be a Creator, what can I create and what is the dev process?

Creators are required to submit documentation pitches which go through an approval process. All content must be new and original. Once a concept is approved, a development schedule with Alpha, Beta and Release milestones is created. Creations go through our full development pipeline, which Creators participate in. Bethesda Game Studios developers work with Creators to iterate and polish their work along with full QA cycles. The content is fully localized, as well. This ensures compatibility with the original game, official add-ons and achievements.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in my experience there was only ever one creation club mod that felt like it wasn't done as a small uninspired job based on what that modder was previously known for, which made sense based on how bethesda contacted certain people for it up front and that was basically what they got people to do. that one mod was called 'Arissa the Wandering Rogue' for Skyrim and it was an okay companion mod that existed before paid mods, but it was less than half completed and the VO sounded like someone reading lines for a radio commercial rather than acting. it got an update as a paid mod only and people were really upset with this. it resulted in the modder and voice actor for the companion quitting altogether. the modder came back and submitted an unnecessary apology but he didn't stick around much longer before disappearing again because why wouldn't something like that drain all your passion for creating that type of stuff. anyway bethesda really knows how to foster the modding community and knows a lot about it.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 26, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Khanstant posted:

Did you think Fallout 4 was good? Did you think No Man's Sky is good?

If yes to the former, then it will be good since it doesn't take much to qualify. If yes to the latter, then it will be good unless the multiplayer and terrain persistence and takeoff is very important to you.

Good, bad, or worst, I'd say Bethesda games are worth the price of admission. Even if it's bad it's the kind of bad you remember and can talk about years later.

every game system in fallout 4 was an upgrade over NV.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

Hard disagree on the conversation system. I'm not going to speak to the quality of the writing, but the "Always 4 Options" system was just bad. Sometimes you don't need 4 and sometimes you need more. I'm glad they ditched it.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Schubalts posted:

Creation Club mods are a tiny fraction of the overall amount of mods.

Creation Club has far stricter requirements than all the free filehosts. To get on it, a modder has to actually meet professional deadlines, and communicate with Bethesda QA.

https://creationclub.bethesda.net/en

LOL I figured it was less than 1%, that explains why. I was just wondering what they'll be changing to try and get that number up.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/forum/6938-starfield-general/

I didn't notice boob and butt sliders in the character creation clips. When I was playing Skyrim with 50 mods I got the feeling that would be immensely useful for deforming armour/spacesuits. Would probably fix half of the compatibility issues.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

PeePot posted:

I didn't notice boob and butt sliders in the character creation clips. When I was playing Skyrim with 50 mods I got the feeling that would be immensely useful for deforming armour/spacesuits. Would probably fix half of the compatibility issues.

I feel like even if you make a busty or caked up character the suit should look pretty much the same when in the space suits- they're not normal clothes and I think if you have big boobs they'd just get squished flat inside it. It's not like NASA made gendered suits irl.

Edit - found an interesting article when trying to do a bare minimum of fact checking on the NASA suit thing. They're not specifically built for men or women, but NASA did have the problem of retiring the smallest size, which was one women often needed:

https://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2020/0720/NASA-s-spacesuits-have-a-gender-problem.-These-women-are-fixing-it

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I can't imagine they would have taken a character customization option out between FO4 and Starfield.

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝

marktheando posted:

apparently bethesda have clarified, normal version has disc

-tweet-

What's the point of having a steelbook if it isn't going to contain anything?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

raccoon.bmp posted:

What's the point of having a steelbook if it isn't going to contain anything?

To display on your mantle or cabinet with all your other nerdy collector's stuff.

Not sure why a disc is even useful these days, but I understand wanting to collect a nice-looking case.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
give my game code on a laser engraved or resin printed steel plaque

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

I feel like even if you make a busty or caked up character the suit should look pretty much the same when in the space suits- they're not normal clothes and I think if you have big boobs they'd just get squished flat inside it. It's not like NASA made gendered suits irl.

Edit - found an interesting article when trying to do a bare minimum of fact checking on the NASA suit thing. They're not specifically built for men or women, but NASA did have the problem of retiring the smallest size, which was one women often needed:

https://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2020/0720/NASA-s-spacesuits-have-a-gender-problem.-These-women-are-fixing-it

Ya, I didn't mean big boobs I meant absolutely ridiculously big boobs. I was just getting modded faces and armour on my last Skyrim playthrough and every mod needed CBBE or whatever. More sliders built in would eliminate the middle man (pervs).

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝

John F Bennett posted:

To display on your mantle or cabinet with all your other nerdy collector's stuff.

Not sure why a disc is even useful these days, but I understand wanting to collect a nice-looking case.

I suppose, I imagine they'd also sell the case on its own. A good few games have been doing that for the past couple years

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

In addition to other things not improved the combat and character building was a big step down and probably busted. 99% of my combat memories are one-shot critting just about everything including legendaries and then like 2 randos who show up to do the same. It was amusing for like 15 minutes, clearing out one place, and then combat was just an endless chore they mindlessly spawned whenever wherever. Luck has always been the best Fallout stat but in 4 it just had no idea how to function besides just instagibbing enemies. Credit where credit is due, I actually used a ton of drugs for the first time in one of these games because waiting for combat meter to fill up on its own was too slow for me.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Khanstant posted:

In addition to other things not improved the combat and character building was a big step down and probably busted. 99% of my combat memories are one-shot critting just about everything including legendaries and then like 2 randos who show up to do the same. It was amusing for like 15 minutes, clearing out one place, and then combat was just an endless chore they mindlessly spawned whenever wherever. Luck has always been the best Fallout stat but in 4 it just had no idea how to function besides just instagibbing enemies. Credit where credit is due, I actually used a ton of drugs for the first time in one of these games because waiting for combat meter to fill up on its own was too slow for me.

They did however improve the actual unassisted gunplay to the point where it was, you know, functional, with the help of some people who Know How To Do It (from Id Software). I think I've used VATS in Fallout 4 less than 10 times ever.

The gunplay in Fallout 3 and NV is utterly atrocious and ruins every attempt I make to replay either.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
completely irrelevant. i would never fire a qun outside of vats in a bethesda fallout game, its basically the only connection it has left to fallout. i honestly found it extremely offputting it was even possible. if i wanted to play an FPS I'd be another person

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

I am playing Horizon: Forbidden West at the moment and cant help but wonder if Starfield will have some kind of 'combat slow time' mechanic in it, as a kind of VATS replacement?

In Horizon its called 'Concentration' and activating it slows down time allowing you to precisely aim at different machine parts or weak points.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If nothing else it will be one of your dragon shouts ancient alien powers

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

OctaMurk posted:

Doesnt have as many technologies as Star Citizen, so no

Yeah, Star Citizen beats it at the A-ness front

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

StarBegotten posted:

I am playing Horizon: Forbidden West at the moment and cant help but wonder if Starfield will have some kind of 'combat slow time' mechanic in it, as a kind of VATS replacement?

In Horizon its called 'Concentration' and activating it slows down time allowing you to precisely aim at different machine parts or weak points.

During the boost pack demo there seems to be time slow while aiming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMOPoAq5vIA&t=1032s

This might only apply to you while airborne and aiming, but we don't know. There might be other skills or Alien Powers that do stuff like that as well.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

AirRaid posted:

The gunplay in Fallout 3 and NV is utterly atrocious and ruins every attempt I make to replay either.

I recommend doing a melee playthrough of NV, it's actually quite fun.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

8one6 posted:

I can't imagine they would have taken a character customization option out between FO4 and Starfield.

you can't drag and drop things, they went back to sliders.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Khanstant posted:

lmao how was character building a step down? The perk system was straight up better because it let you choose cool skill points instead of some lame rear end number.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

hard pass

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
NV had charisma as a dump stat. There was no reason not too set it to 1.

FO4's perk system was easy to game too. Ammo Scrounger breaks the economy.

High Luck builds break both NV and 4.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

:barf:

I almost forgot

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tankbuster posted:

you can't drag and drop things, they went back to sliders.

Gonna make a mod called More Sliders, it'll add small lizards and miniature burgers.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

the fact you can't wasd through this interface and have to mouse edge scroll is hot garbage

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The perk chart is a big part of the problem with FO4 character building.

All of fallout 4's perks only depend on one stat and have to occupy a very specific place on the rigid perk chart. So there's no room for expansion of perks, which is why when NV and FO3 released expansions they added completely new perks but FO4 couldn't --the best they could do was add more perks on top of existing ones, so your radiation healing perk had a Nuka World upgrade stuck on the end, for example. A lot of 4's perks are very generic too. The rifleman perk skill governs all two handed weapons and has to be applicable to every two-handed-but-not-sniper-or-heavy weapon, so you don't get stuff like shotgun surgeon because there's no room for a shotgun specific perk on the perk board. NV perks could afford to be hyper specific for a particular build, like Cowboy being just about old fashioned guns and weapons like lever actions, revolvers and hatchets, which is a perk that doesn't really fit in the FO4 design space.

Which isn't to say that there aren't fun or silly FO4 perks! But the perk chart design hamstrings what you can do with the space from the start.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Tankbuster posted:

lmao how was character building a step down? The perk system was straight up better because it let you choose cool skill points instead of some lame rear end number.

Lol

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

marshmallow creep posted:

The perk chart is a big part of the problem with FO4 character building.

Which isn't to say that there aren't fun or silly FO4 perks! But the perk chart design hamstrings what you can do with the space from the start.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I really like a few of the perks because they allow for pretty fun additions for particular play styles but the perk chart just isn't help at all for that.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The perk chart is annoying to scroll through, but a lot of the perks are pretty cool and can make for a fun and varied character. Much more interesting than dividing 20 points between some skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I liked it