Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s why I don’t get the love for the weird techno later on when other bosses have suitably ‘epic’ scores. It even happens again so I guess it’s gonna be a recurring thing, and it’s just, why?

Completely detached from what’s happening on screen, you suddenly go from these crazy orchestral swells to ‘lofi beats to kill gods to’ when the battles are at their most insanely over-the-top.

The section in the Titan fight is the biggest disconnect I’ve felt so far, it’s literally some tinny, anaemic hip-hop beat while you’re doing battle with a loving mountain with tentacles made of rocks and yeah it changes up again a little bit about halfway in and then the next phase goes back to the regular style of music but it just doesn’t fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yes it does

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The techno makes thematic sense to me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

WaltherFeng posted:

FFXVI begins slow but it becomes increasingly hype. There's slow bits that are very slow but when poo poo goes down its Asura's Wrath, DMC and Metal Gear Rising level of action.

I like the combat but having gotten about 20 hours into the story I don't feel like the DMC comparisons are that apt anymore. To me it plays a lot more similarly to say, a Tales game where you can basically just mash through every encounter and win. Clive has a Dante-like moveset but your enemies never rise above MMO levels of sentience. I have died once to a OHK effect and then never again. I like it, it's fine, I wouldn't want it to be too difficult, but it doesn't seem to me like a particularly technical game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I've never played a DMC game before but the combat reminds me most of FF14 first of all with a bit of Ys mixed in.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's a flashy FF flavored action game all about one button combos. Frankly, 16 is just a Kingdom Hearts.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It’s a DMC move set, to the point that a lot of the mechanics and abilities are copied and pasted, and if you want to get the flashy rainbow effects on the action readout that basically represent SSS ranks you have to combo in the same manner… but yeah if you just want to kill things and not die it can just be button mashed.

The devs say NG is balanced so anyone can experience the story and NG+ is where it becomes a proper character action game. Kinda sucks for character action fans like me that we have to play through the entire very long story to experience the gameplay we want.

The further I get into this story the more I’m frantically searching for (late game sorta spoilers) Yoko Taro’s name in IMDb’s story credits. I’m not finding it but it sure seems like he’s gotta be in there somewhere.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They definitely should have had all those character action-y things as available options from the beginning for fans of that genre but I personally am very glad to not have them

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. I’m no DMC expert but I’ve played 3, 4 and 5, and I’m absolutely crushing every enemy I meet in XVI. A hard game, it is not.

I guess I see what Final Fantasy mode feels like when I unlock it, but I doubt that’ll change.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Even when I do unlock NG+ I’m not sure I’ll want to play it right away… I’m kinda a bit tired of the game already. The story is no longer my thing and trying to enjoy comboing even though it’s not necessary or rewarded just so the combat doesn’t put me to sleep feels increasingly futile. If I make it to credits I’ll prob have to put the game away for a while so I can actually enjoy NG+ after a long break.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Aipsh posted:

Ah man BP genuinely thinking of getting this game but I hate this music

wtf

History Comes Inside! posted:

That’s why I don’t get the love for the weird techno later on when other bosses have suitably ‘epic’ scores. It even happens again so I guess it’s gonna be a recurring thing, and it’s just, why?

wtf

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

most god tier boss battle music in 15 years

spoilers for first boss of the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG_pCShXTVI

The power of soken.

Also hype moments, every drat time a dragoon turns up and its always a sick as gently caress fight

Johnny Postnemonic fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 26, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Augus posted:

wtf

wtf

There's no helping some people

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

fridge corn posted:

The techno makes thematic sense to me

Yeah that and the music in (disc1 area) thr fallen ruin under phenoix gate theyre clearly both connected and the way it sounds wrong and broken, out of sync with the "normal world" works perfectly

Johnny Postnemonic fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 26, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Is there anything I should be spending my hundreds of thousands of Gil on? I already buy every new sword, accessory, and upgrade I find. Potions are pointless since the game is already easy. I guess it’s all for the jukebox songs? I have t bothers buying those yet.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I’ll break this down into chunks
Summary

Thank you! Those were excellent and actually really helped. Yeah I could not figure out why Clive was being sent in to off the ironblood dominant at all.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Final Fantasy 16 is really good and will be my GotY unless Fortnite does something epic

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Yeah I do wish action focused difficulty was tuned a little more. You've got all these moves but they feel kind of meaningless. I keep forgetting I've got those moves on circle because I'm just not seeing a tangiable benefit to using them.
I'm in the big green fields area and random battles are a bit pointless.

I love the game so much, this is only a knock against it because we nearly had a legit DMC game at the same time as a legit mainline FF. Very greedy to want both at once, but so close to having happened.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Final Fantasy 16 is really good and will be my GotY unless Fortnite does something epic

The most Epic that happened in 2023 was delisting the Unreal games everywhere. gently caress Tim Sweeney.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Thank you! Those were excellent and actually really helped. Yeah I could not figure out why Clive was being sent in to off the ironblood dominant at all.

As someone else mentioned, after the end of 'disk 1' there's actually a feature added to your base with some menus that detail all of the movement of the kingdoms, and all of the relationships between various characters with a sliding timescale so you can see how they developed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I did a heap of FFXVI side poo poo tonight but I also did a story mission (I guess leading to the final mother crystal eventually) that had a sequence that blew me away. The visuals in this game are unbelievable.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

We've got guests staying in the spare room with the PlayStation currently, so I'm stuck on an enforced XVI break. I'm having to read books and build Warhammer, woe is me. I want to be fire.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

JBP posted:

I did a heap of FFXVI side poo poo tonight but I also did a story mission (I guess leading to the final mother crystal eventually) that had a sequence that blew me away. The visuals in this game are unbelievable.

Yeah it looks incredible. Up there with death Stranding and unreal 5.1 fortnite for drat fine looking game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Really? I'm kind of disappointed with how FFXVI looks. I'm still trying to run it in performance mode because I hate the motion blur in 30fps, and there are some nice-looking areas but nothing particularly stands out. A lot of the lighting is remarkably flat for a nextgen title. It's not even better-looking in my memory than the FF7R rerelease for PS5.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, can’t fault the technical artists. Everything looks immaculate all the time.

Edit: exquisite tea, a bit of it might be performance mode, but also check your tv calibration? The game is pretty vivid on my display. Gorgeous color work and really naturalistic light. The materials on characters are really jaw dropping too.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 26, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It looks great but also half of the areas are mud huts in a swamp.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think some of what's going on with FFXVI is that, outside of the level of spectacle in its boss fights, it's kind of like... a normal video game. That's not a criticism, but rather just what happens when a Final Fantasy game has a sane development cycle. The graphics are good but not mindblowing. The combat is fun and well-executed but doesn't really do anything new or inventive (nor does it attempt to). It's focused on the one thing it wants to do--a roller coaster of a cinematic story--and everything is bent towards that one thing rather than trying to be everything to everyone.

I wonder if some of the negative reviews are because people were expecting something a little more batshit from a mainline numbered Final Fantasy game because that's what we've gotten from basically all of them after X, in one way or another. But this was developed by a bunch of Realm Reborn and Heavensward veterans and those came about not by reinventing the wheel and taking huge swings but by looking at what other games were doing and iterating on that. FFXVI is similar and so maybe it doesn't feel as "special" or like it's as much of an "event" as some might have expected a mainline Final Fantasy release to be. This effect might even be magnified for people who've played a lot of XIV because XVI's structure is like an FFXIV expansion through and through.

Maybe. I'm just sort of spitballing. But it makes sense to me, at least.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it’s a consequence of the setting but it is a shame how pastoral so many of the freeroam environments are. later you start getting some more varied terrain but it’s still very “natural,” none of the kooky improbable stuff you’d see in FF13 (which itself had the consequence of making the setting feel like a fairground ride instead of a place where people actually live and work)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

It looks great but also half of the areas are mud huts in a swamp.

There’s a pretty big variety of stunning locations?

Harrow posted:

I think some of what's going on with FFXVI is that, outside of the level of spectacle in its boss fights, it's kind of like... a normal video game. That's not a criticism, but rather just what happens when a Final Fantasy game has a sane development cycle. The graphics are good but not mindblowing. The combat is fun and well-executed but doesn't really do anything new or inventive (nor does it attempt to). It's focused on the one thing it wants to do--a roller coaster of a cinematic story--and everything is bent towards that one thing rather than trying to be everything to everyone.

I wonder if some of the negative reviews are because people were expecting something a little more batshit from a mainline numbered Final Fantasy game because that's what we've gotten from basically all of them after X, in one way or another. But this was developed by a bunch of Realm Reborn and Heavensward veterans and those came about not by reinventing the wheel and taking huge swings but by looking at what other games were doing and iterating on that. FFXVI is similar and so maybe it doesn't feel as "special" or like it's as much of an "event" as some might have expected a mainline Final Fantasy release to be. This effect might even be magnified for people who've played a lot of XIV because XVI's structure is like an FFXIV expansion through and through.

Maybe. I'm just sort of spitballing. But it makes sense to me, at least.

I kinda just wanted Ryota Suzuki’s combat to be on par with his previous games :-/.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 26, 2023

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Bugblatter posted:

Is there anything I should be spending my hundreds of thousands of Gil on? I already buy every new sword, accessory, and upgrade I find. Potions are pointless since the game is already easy. I guess it’s all for the jukebox songs? I have t bothers buying those yet.

Yeah its looking like jukebox songs or the expensive accessorys. Or maxing out crafting items

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

exquisite tea posted:

Really? I'm kind of disappointed with how FFXVI looks. I'm still trying to run it in performance mode because I hate the motion blur in 30fps, and there are some nice-looking areas but nothing particularly stands out. A lot of the lighting is remarkably flat for a nextgen title. It's not even better-looking in my memory than the FF7R rerelease for PS5.

I ended up switching to graphics mode early on and dont regret it now lol motion blurcis less noticable so long as i dont move the camera super fast, works for me. Frame rate takes away shadows btw, i did a back and forth on two screenshots and once i did that i was like yeah gently caress it, ill stick to 30 and have since forgot about it. A lot of it is the way the areas and scenes are set up imo. Theyll drop a random scene and thats look crazy and its just 3 people having a chat

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

I kinda just wanted Ryota Suzuki’s combat to be on par with his previous games :-/.

Honestly I think they were just nervous and afraid to commit too hard to full action. CBU3 seemed painfully aware that a lot of Final Fantasy fans just don't really like action games and they really wanted to make an action game without alienating those fans, to whatever degree is possible. That meant that the action mechanics had to be simplified and streamlined and the encounters couldn't be difficult enough to really require mastery of any of the mechanics.

You can see the same thing happen (with different consequences) with every action FF. FFXV has its weird attempt at a Wait Mode system. FF7R has a somewhat more successful Wait Mode and also a mode that attempts to automate most of the action mechanics. They keep trying to make an action combat system that doesn't alienate ATB/turn-based fans and while they've at least made two action combat systems that feel good to play (7R and XVI), I don't think it's really possible to have it both ways. You just end up with a combat system that satisfies neither group.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the same thing happened in nier automata op. you run into issues like that if you have to cater to JRPG fans who prefer less mechanically intensive games and like them for the stories

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think FF7R is still the closest they've come to making a combat system that is both action and Final Fantasy at the same time, though I also know that system is pretty polarizing. People seem to either love it or hate it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The design of 16 feels dated in a way that it could easily be a PS2 game if not for the technical prowess on display. It’s actually kind of refreshing. Hell, I’m here for it, game whips.

Just waiting on the patch for motion blur toggle and we’ll be gravy. It’s very bad in graphics mode lol.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I'm using frame rate mode right now specifically because the motion blur is so unbearable in graphics mode for me. Once they patch in the toggle I'll give graphics mode another try.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Also the 14 parallels are interesting to me. The quest design, the cooldown abilities, little things like the experience symbol and quest markers, the AOE attacks that you have to not stand in

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

That soundbite when you accept a quest is like uncanny valley. It's so close to the FF14 version yet eerily different

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Been getting that with some of the music too, keep expecting it to go into an actual FF14 track

Pretty sure the Titan fight did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sakurazuka posted:

Been getting that with some of the music too, keep expecting it to go into an actual FF14 track

Pretty sure the Titan fight did.

The Ifrit vs. Garuda music literally starts with the relevant leitmotif from XIV, lmao