Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Clerical Terrors posted:

So did Prigozhin take some kind of deal where he and his men just sit in paid time-out in Belarus for a bit while Russia scrambles to figure out how to deal with them?

something. my guess is he got a deal which he gets to live (for now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Prigozhin: “are they booing me?”

Prigozhin could do a pretty good Minsc cosplay.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Prigozhin speaks

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1673346765423099907?t=U-q_YPILawpbToa1tiRZiw&s=19

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1673349336585871362?t=W5EEXYz7UX8LU6Gj0LvTQw&s=19

So sick of Orban's poo poo for real. The EU at least should have an ejection mechanism.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1673324554402373635?t=rx9nqbZZMoQ-CBggC6IcVg&s=19

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 26, 2023

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

“This is DEFINITELY not what it looked like. Here is a long winded explanation nobody except the most credulous will believe. This could not be settled by negotiations and dialogue, we had to invade our own country because…”

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Oh he's gonna die in Belarus for sure.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

“This is DEFINITELY not what it looked like. Here is a long winded explanation nobody except the most credulous will believe. This could not be settled by negotiations and dialogue, we had to invade our own country because…”

Hmm? It kind of sounds like more or less exactly what we saw happen and why he stopped.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Oh he's gonna die in Belarus for sure.

I'm gonna be a contrarian and predict he outlives Putin.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

It was merely a "million Wagner march", along the lines of something seen in Washington DC every summer. You westalures will never understand Russia.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Giving PMC Wagner a small semi-autonomous area to control in Belarus kinda reminds me of the barbarian foederati kingdoms in the late (Western) Roman Empire. PMC Goths will defend the Danube!

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Just doing a 'lil internal security audit, nbd

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Seems to me the intended shutdown of Wagner (probably pushed by Shoigu) was probably the impetus of the march. I'd also say this "deal" is in reality a ceasefire while everyone involved plans their next move.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Really feels like one big victory by Ukraine will set things off big time. Especially if what Maks was saying about progress made near Donetsk City was true. Kinda feel like if Russia loses either Lugansk City, Donetsk City, or Kherson oblast is completely liberated, any one of those would be enough to put a fatal nail in the coffin for Russia. Those are I think the crown jewels though losing Donetsk City would probably be the most humiliating vs most actually damaging (that would be Crimea)

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I bet Putin is pretty chuffed about having his country's security tested. 'Better to know about these things' he always says.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Right before the spicy tea makes it to the Prig Pen, Yevgeny does a coup in Belarus.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Delthalaz posted:

Giving PMC Wagner a small semi-autonomous area to control in Belarus kinda reminds me of the barbarian foederati kingdoms in the late (Western) Roman Empire. PMC Goths will defend the Danube!

Kojima has foreseen everything

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I remember playing MGS4 and being so confused by the PMC plot. Naive me thought it sounded absurd and unrealistic. I guess we're not using mind control nano agents yet

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

Really feels like one big victory by Ukraine will set things off big time. Especially if what Maks was saying about progress made near Donetsk City was true. Kinda feel like if Russia loses either Lugansk City, Donetsk City, or Kherson oblast is completely liberated, any one of those would be enough to put a fatal nail in the coffin for Russia. Those are I think the crown jewels though losing Donetsk City would probably be the most humiliating vs most actually damaging (that would be Crimea)

Alas the Russians threatening to blow up the Zaporihizia Power Plant overshadows all of this :(

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I don't really see how this is much like MGS4 beyond vague PMC terminology, which was also how it was used in MGS4.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Hmm? It kind of sounds like more or less exactly what we saw happen and why he stopped.

Was it Sun Tzu who said “when you disagree with the monarch, start an armed rebellion and march on the capital, and then run out of steam the first day. Kings and Princes are usually in a forgiving mood.”

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Clerical Terrors posted:

So did Prigozhin take some kind of deal where he and his men just sit in paid time-out in Belarus for a bit while Russia scrambles to figure out how to deal with them?

That's good news for Ukraine. If they're in Belarus, they're not fighting.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

SHOIGUUUUUUU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Randarkman posted:

I don't really see how this is much like MGS4 beyond vague PMC terminology, which was also how it was used in MGS4.

Just in the significant use of PMCs in modern conflicts. I don't remember much else of the plot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
My current favorite totally uninformed idea is Putin is just a few months from death anyway and Pretty Priggy is making sure he is in a prime pole position for the real power vacuum struggle.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

William Bear posted:

That's good news for Ukraine. If they're in Belarus, they're not fighting.

Yeah it's not as good as it would've been if they actually shot at each other on the Red Square but pretty good. MoD is down a bunch of aircraft, Wagner out of the picture, Putin's clowns still in charge and get to gently caress up another day.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

If we're guessing about stuff:

Prigozhin was tired of throwing his army at goals that didn't enrich him or give credit to his organization. He also wasn't thrilled about being forced to integrate with the Russian army next month. He thinks he has multiple allies in the MoD. He starts the show of force to force leadership changes at the MoD.

After taking Rostov he doesn't get support from the people he was counting on. He knows he's lost and if he stops there he'll get crushed, so he presses on towards Moscow, forcing a response before anyone has the chance to really evaluate the threat militarily (because he knows he'd lose).

Luka makes a deal to take Wagner to Belarus. He gets a capable fighting force in his borders, Russia doesn't have to have fighting in the capital, Prigozhin preserves what's left of his army and retains his extraterritorial holdings (I guess?), so he gets to stay rich and powerful.

Putin is absolutely planning Prigozhin's death and everyone knows it, but it didn't happen today so it's a win for now. Everyone came out of this weaker, but it could have been worse all around. I don't think Prigozhin is going to spend much time in Belarus, one way or another.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

"hey sorry we killed like 15 people in my tempertantrum, please dont drill me in the back of the head with a bullet"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Roman Reigns posted:

Alas the Russians threatening to blow up the Zaporihizia Power Plant overshadows all of this :(

The only source for that is Ukrainian intelligence who have been warning about that for past 10 months or so

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I also think it's very likely Prigozhin was going to be neutralized very soon anyway, so from his perspective he was playing with house money and was happy to take whatever deal kept him breathing and not in jail.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fatherboxx posted:

The only source for that is Ukrainian intelligence who have been warning about that for past 10 months or so

Well the russians aren't exactly going to announce it in advance

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Alan Smithee posted:

Prigozhin: “are they booing me?”

"No, sir. They're chanting boo-yar."

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Lockback posted:

I also think it's very likely Prigozhin was going to be neutralized very soon anyway, so from his perspective he was playing with house money and was happy to take whatever deal kept him breathing and not in jail.

“There’s a guy with his own loyal & capable army in my country who doesn’t exactly report to me” has been an existential threat to national leaders since the end of the ice age.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

Weren’t they also warning about the dam months in advance as well?

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
I'm pretty sure that in later Roman history every few months some general would decide that he could do a better job and just march his legions on Rome

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Minsk looks like, "What if soviet architecture, but in the 2010's?"

Or a backrooms liminal space made up of infinite Holiday Inn Expresses.

https://goo.gl/maps/o6NfcMoJfatPdgKy6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SARiXLJhlj8

crispix fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 26, 2023

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Diorama posted:

I'm pretty sure that in later Roman history every few months some general would decide that he could do a better job and just march his legions on Rome

Rule One for dictators is “there can’t be anyone around in your domain who has armed forces and who might be more popular than you.”

Wagner in Africa- no problem, nobody in Russia cares who’s running Mali. Have fun in your colonies.

Wagner near Russia - danger Will Robinson, you have a charismatic leader with well trained troops doing the only winning on your side. 100% guaranteed to start getting ideas.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Rule One for dictators is “there can’t be anyone around in your domain who has armed forces and who might be more popular than you.”

I mean you don't even need to be more popular, at least not with the people, they don't matter one bit, you just need the loyal troops.

Septimius Severus's dying words to his sons sums it all up pretty well

"Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, scorn everybody else."

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Der Kyhe posted:

Exactly which part of the "you cannot just turn off the fuel rods, and if you explode away the vessel the fuel is in and the containment building housing it, you end up with burning fuel rods exposed to outside, contaminating and irradiating all surrounding places" was a lie as you seem to be accusing me about lying about this?
You can't turn off fuel rods but they don't really generate any heat by themselves in the absence of criticality. The meltdown heat people think of when they think "nuclear reactor" is from the short-lived isotopes that form as part of the decay chain. Once that's gone the fuel rods are no more dangerous than any spent reactor fuel, and Russia already has plenty of spent reactor fuel. Yeah, there's a risk of local contamination if you blow it up but the effects aren't really gonna spread like a Chernobyl-style ooops our reactor seems to have gone prompt critical and left the building accident.

The zpp reactors have been off for so long that the fuel could probably just about go into dry cask storage. The fuel assembly is as off as it's gonna get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

What I'm taking from WW2 is that rule by heavily armed prison gangs under the purview of military intelligence is a proud Russian tradition