Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Hangouts are useful for when you need a few extra primogems.

Probably done about half of them and I don’t seem to have any memory of them other than a lingering feeling that dialogue doesn’t skip anywhere near fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

I thought Thoma's were all kinda cute, but I already liked Thoma as a character. Benny's are also pretty good if you like him.

I keep forgetting that if you don't finish all of the hangout routes before the next patch, it will forget all of the "you already picked this option" markers (you still have route checkpoints at least.)

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

UHD posted:

i liked noelle's but i also like noelle

Noelle is great, I've started using her for mining ore since I crafted a sword for Traveler and am working on farming another for her but running around getting ore is painfully reminding me of leveling mining and smithing back in the early world of warcraft days. I haven't gotten any good 2hers yet so I want to make her one then catch her up to my main group. I'm just finishing up the starting crew to 40 so of course I'm half an adventurer rank from unlocking the next tier and starting again.

I lost 50/50 on Alhaitham but got Jean. So now I don't have to worry about the rerolled account with her that I lost the login for back in the day and have a guarantee for the next 5* I hit.

Whats the best way to farm xp books? It's the very first thing you can actively farm in star rail and I haven't noticed an equivalent yet in Genshin. I need to look over the dungeons again. I need a good outlet for resin, I never finish using all of it each day because there's so much else to do and it takes so long. I'm spoiled by star rail where you can just set it on auto on your phone to burn it off.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

bagrada posted:

Noelle is great, I've started using her for mining ore since I crafted a sword for Traveler and am working on farming another for her but running around getting ore is painfully reminding me of leveling mining and smithing back in the early world of warcraft days. I haven't gotten any good 2hers yet so I want to make her one then catch her up to my main group. I'm just finishing up the starting crew to 40 so of course I'm half an adventurer rank from unlocking the next tier and starting again.

I lost 50/50 on Alhaitham but got Jean. So now I don't have to worry about the rerolled account with her that I lost the login for back in the day and have a guarantee for the next 5* I hit.

Whats the best way to farm xp books? It's the very first thing you can actively farm in star rail and I haven't noticed an equivalent yet in Genshin. I need to look over the dungeons again. I need a good outlet for resin, I never finish using all of it each day because there's so much else to do and it takes so long. I'm spoiled by star rail where you can just set it on auto on your phone to burn it off.

The blueish ley line outcrops you can see on the map are used to turn resin into xp books. Activate them, defeat the enemies, and then you can turn 20 resin or a condensed resin into xp books.

The gold outcrops are the same, but for mora.

The current leyline event will give you 2x rewards up to 3 times a day when you use normal resin.

Peanut3141 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 26, 2023

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Not having Itto I felt pretty sour getting to use him in today's event so I figured I'd try to make Noelle as good as I can and while she needs a lot of specific things, she really is pretty great and fun to play once you get her there. I have her at 80/80, 7/5/7, C6 with the BP claymore and 4xHusk of Opulent Dreams though she's a bit overstacked on Def which I need to give up for more CR/CDMG substats.

Her team currently is Yunjin/Gorou/Raiden since I don't have Albedo and Raiden is nice for particles. I recommend it, it's fun to whack folks with 50k crits as Noelle of all characters.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

You can get the ability to make condensed resin from leveling up Mondstadt reputation I think. It let's you use 40 resin in one run of the ley line/artifact/talent book domains rather than 20, so grinding is twice as fast. Sadly it doesn't work on weekly and ascension bosses.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Space Opera posted:

You can get the ability to make condensed resin from leveling up Mondstadt reputation I think. It let's you use 40 resin in one run of the ley line/artifact/talent book domains rather than 20, so grinding is twice as fast. Sadly it doesn't work on weekly and ascension bosses.

And using condensed resin notably does not trigger the 2x reward from the event.

Can feel pretty bad to make 3 or 4 condensed and realize you screwed yourself out of the extra 60 resin worth of supplies for the day.

Also, if you're an achievement chaser, using 20 resin redemptions gets you to the 800 blossom achievement twice as fast. And helps you get the 20 redemption/week battle pass points.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Good tips thanks I'll pay more attention to what gives what.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
My view on hangouts is that with all remaining guaranteed primos/wishes I'm gonna end up at 78 pity on Alhaitham banner and even though I could easily bump that up to a near guarantee with hangouts I'm physically incapable of forcing myself to start them lol

Maybe I'd like them more if the characters where hanging out with each other instead? The collei sucrose thing from windblume was a better "hangout" than what we've got.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

MoonCrab posted:

My view on hangouts is that with all remaining guaranteed primos/wishes I'm gonna end up at 78 pity on Alhaitham banner and even though I could easily bump that up to a near guarantee with hangouts I'm physically incapable of forcing myself to start them lol

Maybe I'd like them more if the characters where hanging out with each other instead? The collei sucrose thing from windblume was a better "hangout" than what we've got.

we were also notably off-screen for almost all of that interaction

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Tree Reformat posted:

we were also notably off-screen for almost all of that interaction

The best part of all. It's promising for future events and storylines

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Hangouts are useful for when you need a few extra primogems.

Probably done about half of them and I don’t seem to have any memory of them other than a lingering feeling that dialogue doesn’t skip anywhere near fast enough.

Yeah this is why I've never done all of them. Its nice you have checkpoints you can load back into. But it's still such a chore to click though all the dialogue in these things.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Yeah this Fayz Trial thing is definitely one of those events where the main conceit is just to take cool/funny pictures of your favorite characters in action and all the conditions can be met super easily. The best one I've taken so far is stoned Collei aka Weed Amber.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

oh that explains a lot about Collei

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
"Yeah, I'm, like, really limited in what I can do and how much I can move, because... uh... Eleazar. That's it."

The biggest drawback of Heizou right now is that for me to take him to 80 means farming another 45 Onikabutos.

delfin fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 26, 2023

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I don't understand this event at all. Not the mechanics, just why it exists. Use a pre-made team, slam the first wave with ults, take snapshots of the next two waves, repeat. There's nothing hard or interesting about any of it but hey free primo gems for less effort than some daily quests

Hangouts can be cool or boring depending on how much you end up liking a character. The only weird one I've encountered so far is Barbara which had to have been the first one they did because it's the only one I've managed to fail for picking the wrong dialogue choice. I ended up liking Chongyun's a lot and I appreciated him a bit more as a character too, but Ningguang's was kind of boring if you're not into her as a character. Haven't started any of the inazuma ones yet but I really liked Thoma as a character in the archon quests

btw what's up with Ningguang. Her importance to the story/Liyue is much bigger than anyone outside of Childe/Zhongli, she has unique mechanics & a pretty good passive for mining but it's like they decided last minute to swap her with Qiqi or something

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The main purpose of trial character combat events is to sell current, recent, and upcoming banner characters in a more comprehensive way than the typical Trial Runs, since those usually pair the 5*s with... non-synergistic launch 4*s, shall we say. This time is a bit awkward because everyone is hoarding for Fontaine characters, who obviously aren't in the released game yet.

I think Ningguang is like Barbara in that she was originally designed as a 5*, but then in testing realized they needed a 4* geo for launch? But yet, it is funny how we become besties with the most politically powerful people in the world, and how little that ultimately matters.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

I don't understand this event at all. Not the mechanics, just why it exists. Use a pre-made team, slam the first wave with ults, take snapshots of the next two waves, repeat. There's nothing hard or interesting about any of it but hey free primo gems for less effort than some daily quests

Hangouts can be cool or boring depending on how much you end up liking a character. The only weird one I've encountered so far is Barbara which had to have been the first one they did because it's the only one I've managed to fail for picking the wrong dialogue choice. I ended up liking Chongyun's a lot and I appreciated him a bit more as a character too, but Ningguang's was kind of boring if you're not into her as a character. Haven't started any of the inazuma ones yet but I really liked Thoma as a character in the archon quests

btw what's up with Ningguang. Her importance to the story/Liyue is much bigger than anyone outside of Childe/Zhongli, she has unique mechanics & a pretty good passive for mining but it's like they decided last minute to swap her with Qiqi or something

Yeah I don't know why she's a 4 star and all of her subordinates are 5 stars. All the other sort of de facto national leaders like Jean, Ayato and Alhaitham are 5 stars. I'm definitely super into her character type though so her hangout wasn't particularly boring to me. I'm a bit incredulous that she apparently came from absolutely nothing though and was just some poor fisherman's daughter with tons of ambition. The ending to one of her hangout branches is unexpectedly badass too though there seems to be a contrast between her power levels as a story character and as a player character. A couple of story event cutscenes make her look like one of the most powerful characters we've seen in the entire story to date.

Tree Reformat posted:

The main purpose of trial character combat events is to sell current, recent, and upcoming banner characters in a more comprehensive way than the typical Trial Runs, since those usually pair the 5*s with... non-synergistic launch 4*s, shall we say. This time is a bit awkward because everyone is hoarding for Fontaine characters, who obviously aren't in the released game yet.

I think Ningguang is like Barbara in that she was originally designed as a 5*, but then in testing realized they needed a 4* geo for launch? But yet, it is funny how we become besties with the most politically powerful people in the world, and how little that ultimately matters.

There's Charlotte I suppose, but it's just an NPC model version obviously.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Tree Reformat posted:

But yet, it is funny how we become besties with the most politically powerful people in the world, and how little that ultimately matters.
It was pretty funny during the invokation event as Charlotte sees the escalation of our buddy list from city and country leaders to a literal god.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Ningguang is shown during archon quests as one of the most intelligent and strongest characters outside of an Archon in the game. Like way stronger than Alhaitham, Jean, and Ayato by miles if we're counting the defacto leaders of nations I don't get their justification for dropping her to 4*

My other hangup with Genshin's characters is anyone who isn't a couple hundred years old is under 25. Would it have changed anything if Ningguang or Alhaitham or Jean were in their 30's or even 40's considering all they've accomplished? I kind of roll my eyes at Ningguang's background saying she worked her whole life for the Jade Chamber, she's basically a billionaire and one of the most influential people in the world and then....She's 25? So she became a billionaire in ten years? Would making her 40 even change anything about her character or model?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
maybe having a vision fucks up your lifespan same as a delusion does and the effect just isn't quite as pronounced

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Where does it even states that Ningguang is 25? Last I checked, they're conspicuously playing it coy about the actual age of most of the cast.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

Ningguang is shown during archon quests as one of the most intelligent and strongest characters outside of an Archon in the game. Like way stronger than Alhaitham, Jean, and Ayato by miles if we're counting the defacto leaders of nations I don't get their justification for dropping her to 4*

My other hangup with Genshin's characters is anyone who isn't a couple hundred years old is under 25. Would it have changed anything if Ningguang or Alhaitham or Jean were in their 30's or even 40's considering all they've accomplished? I kind of roll my eyes at Ningguang's background saying she worked her whole life for the Jade Chamber, she's basically a billionaire and one of the most influential people in the world and then....She's 25? So she became a billionaire in ten years? Would making her 40 even change anything about her character or model?

As far as I know all the age things out there are just conjecture. Like there's no way Ningguang is the same age as Layla. There is supposed to be something in otaku culture though about how 25 is the dividing line between being considered an Onee-san or like old enough to be called sir or ma'am and referred to as "old" by other characters though so it wouldn't surprise me if they just made all the characters like Ningguang, Lisa, Shenhe, Beidou Rosaria, Yelan etc. 25ish.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Peanut3141 posted:

Also, if you're an achievement chaser, using 20 resin redemptions gets you to the 800 blossom achievement twice as fast. And helps you get the 20 redemption/week battle pass points.

Genshin: a game that appreciates your time (and wants more of it)

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://twitter.com/sciamano240/status/1673385565650075648

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Danakir posted:

Where does it even states that Ningguang is 25? Last I checked, they're conspicuously playing it coy about the actual age of most of the cast.
At least under 30. The kids in the harbor call her big sister instead of auntie or granny and her vision experience happened 10 years ago when she was in her younger years which I'm assuming is when she was a teenager. But the fact that nobody's explicitly over 30 except gods and demi-gods leads me to believe that Genshin makes a conscious effort not to place anyone older than 30 because they're afraid people will think they're too old and can't be a waifu or husband

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tampa Bae posted:

At least under 30. The kids in the harbor call her big sister instead of auntie or granny and her vision experience happened 10 years ago when she was in her younger years which I'm assuming is when she was a teenager. But the fact that nobody's explicitly over 30 except gods and demi-gods leads me to believe that Genshin makes a conscious effort not to place anyone older than 30 because they're afraid people will think they're too old and can't be a waifu or husband
nobody's explicitly any age. there's no reason to assume jean and lisa arent 30 or whatever. the whole point of not giving exact ages in their bios or whatever is so that you can imagine what makes sense to you

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Endorph posted:

nobody's explicitly any age. there's no reason to assume jean and lisa arent 30 or whatever. the whole point of not giving exact ages in their bios or whatever is so that you can imagine what makes sense to you
Not that it's impossible but I'm guessing Jean isn't in her 30's unless Barbara was an accident since she is supposed to be like, 16 or 17

but maybe you're right and they don't mention ages for the same reason they won't mention gay. They're just close friends, they're just room mates, you can believe what you want but we're afraid of the backlash if we say one way or the other

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean they dont mention explicit straight pairs either even when they hint at them, its mostly just so that the fanbase can have whatever pairings they want because shipping is a big part of these fanbases

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

There is literally nothing contradicting you for saying Jean/Ninguang are 30+? I am very confused did you read one of those stupid SEO sites that make things up and then get really mad :psyduck:

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Xun posted:

There is literally nothing contradicting you for saying Jean/Ninguang are 30+? I am very confused did you read one of those stupid SEO sites that make things up and then get really mad :psyduck:
Maybe I did, but the in story stuff also only talks about what they've recently been doing or stuff they did as teenagers or kids so we get huge gaps in Lisa's story where she graduated really early from the Academia and then became a librarian in mondstat tho I guess it's on brand for her to just do nothing for 10 years

Kale
May 14, 2010

Xun posted:

Somehow some way some clickbait sites came up with ages for characters based on what appears to be pure conjecture since I know of nothing official that states any of them. There's some stuff that can be inferred based on appearance and events they were around for, but again nothing official. Like for example one of them has Layla's age listed as 25 and I have a hard time figuring a student who hasn't graduated yet is that old.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite thing about all those sites is that they almost invariably list eula, a character whose major character trait is constantly getting drunk, as 18

i mean i guess china's drinking age is 18 but still thats a little young to become an alcoholic

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

Maybe I did, but the in story stuff also only talks about what they've recently been doing or stuff they did as teenagers or kids so we get huge gaps in Lisa's story where she graduated really early from the Academia and then became a librarian in mondstat tho I guess it's on brand for her to just do nothing for 10 years

How old do you think someone who escapes from academia is?

Kale posted:

Somehow some way some clickbait sites came up with ages for characters based on what appears to be pure conjecture since I know of nothing official that states any of them. There's some stuff that can be inferred based on appearance and events they were around for, but again nothing official. Like for example one of them has Layla's age listed as 25 and I have a hard time figuring a student who hasn't graduated yet is that old.

SUMERU IS ACADEMIA TRAUMADUMPING IM 27 AND IM ONE OF THE YOUNGER PEOPLE IN MY LAB

SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME LAYLAS SUPERPOWER OF FALLING ASLEEP AND THEN A COMPLETED PAPER APPEARS :shepicide:

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Endorph posted:

my favorite thing about all those sites is that they almost invariably list eula, a character whose major character trait is constantly getting drunk, as 18

i mean i guess china's drinking age is 18 but still thats a little young to become an alcoholic
We can't let Venti or Traveler drink underage even though both are canonically thousands of years old

Xun posted:

How old do you think someone who escapes from academia is?
I would've just assumed Lisa was like 18-20 and was smarter than most of her professors and left because she hated the environment but most of the clickbait articles are speculating on things like other characters like Diluc who is older than Jean, who is in his mid to late 20's because of some comics

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
In his latest hangout, Kaveh says he was 5 years old over twenty years ago, so that puts him at least 26.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

I would've just assumed Lisa was like 18-20 and was smarter than most of her professors and left because she hated the environment but most of the clickbait articles are speculating on things like other characters like Diluc who is older than Jean, who is in his mid to late 20's because of some comics

Yeah nah I literally would not trust a single clickbait article out there. No idea if its just this game or the internet in general but seriously a bunch of them just straight out lie, I wouldn't give any of that garbage any consideration at all. For better or worse there are no clear ages given in game. Christ we used to make fun of boomers for falling for the obviously made up poo poo on the internet but here we are anyway I guess

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Xun posted:

Yeah nah I literally would not trust a single clickbait article out there. No idea if its just this game or the internet in general but seriously a bunch of them just straight out lie, I wouldn't give any of that garbage any consideration at all. For better or worse there are no clear ages given in game. Christ we used to make fun of boomers for falling for the obviously made up poo poo on the internet but here we are anyway I guess
If you say so, there's nothing saying one way or the other

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean if there's nothing saying one way or the other how would that make the clickbait articles more true

those articles exist so teenagers can call each other pedophiles for writing the wrong shipping fanfics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the main character is actually paimon