Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Godlessdonut posted:

I never played Elite: Dangerous but this sort of thing is true to the original that I played on the C64 so yes it looks fun :colbert:

Love to setup travel to a planet and have to find something else to do for 43 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

People use "skill issue" now

And it is even more insufferable

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Mr Hootington posted:

And it is even more insufferable

sir... yoru kill iseue

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I hope there's space-mudholes I have to use a space-winch to get out of, then I need to manually operate my tractor beam to get the spilled cargo of hyperspace relay parts back into my hold to finish this quest that caps off the region

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

love a little light trolling in those games

you monster

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Xaris posted:

actually does anyone still use git gud anymore or did it die in the early 2010s

This thread should know better.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My spaceship? That's right, it's a Pacific P16 with nacelles duct taped on

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHOrpFeXUao

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

This thread should know better.

no that checks out with most goons definition of when something is dead: just before it becomes most popular of all

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

manual docking/landing was by far the most interesting part of Elite when I played it like a decade ago

i would kill for a space game where you play as a valet and just park different spaceships in increasingly difficult scenarios

imo they need to merge elite dangerous and hard space shipbreaker

and also snowrunner

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the milk machine posted:

imo they need to merge elite dangerous and hard space shipbreaker

and also snowrunner

:sickos:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

i respect final fantasy 16 for its pro child murder stance

That side quest was great (unless there's another one that involves a child violently being killled).

"Daddy, help!"

Clive and this other guy just like "lol owned"

When you stop and think about it, that quest was sort of similar to the recent submarine situation

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

A space truckin game could be great if they could resist the urge to license that corny deep purple song

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Hatebag posted:

A space truckin game could be great if they could resist the urge to license that corny deep purple song

is "east bound and down" acceptable?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Hatebag posted:

A space truckin game could be great if they licensed that rad deep purple song and looped it on repeat

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Ytlaya posted:

That side quest was great (unless there's another one that involves a child violently being killled).

"Daddy, help!"

Clive and this other guy just like "lol owned"

When you stop and think about it, that quest was sort of similar to the recent submarine situation

think we’re talking about the same area. i like the other quest around that zone where clive makes a little girl cry

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

isnt there a game that was just announced thats basically exactly this?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hatebag posted:

this already exists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QMjgkV1g1I

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

BUSH 2112 posted:

is "east bound and down" acceptable?

You know what, fine. They should get all the truckin songs together for a big party. That, Convoy, space truckin, a bunch of conway twitty, whatever, get it all in there

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

punished milkman posted:

think we’re talking about the same area. i like the other quest around that zone where clive makes a little girl cry

I like how the moral between those quests is basically "the children can still be taught morals" (with the little girl) and then for the boy is like "except for the really awful ones, feed those little shits to the dogs"

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Is this game about truckin? Looks like just shootin guys. Which I'm not opposed to or anything

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hatebag posted:

Chivalry fuckin rules. I was on a siege tower and it glitched when it deployed so i was standing on the ladder part and got catapulted like 500 ft in the sky and then plummeted back to earth screaming. Amazing game, love the yelling

Chiv really is the only game like this that integrates the absurd stuff into the actual mechanics with serious devotion and it does add a lot having guys doing wrestling moves with chairs, playing the lute, being shot out of catapults, etc

I’m level 530 now and get first place most matches post PS+ but I think the sweaty try hard gameplay is so much better for being alloyed by poo poo like flaming chickens and peasants knocking guys off horses by throwing plows

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I like how the moral between those quests is basically "the children can still be taught morals" (with the little girl) and then for the boy is like "except for the really awful ones, feed those little shits to the dogs"

The game outright says the text of the moral, that a chained animal will bite you if you treat it like poo poo, and if it's strong enough you will die.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Hatebag posted:

Is this game about truckin? Looks like just shootin guys. Which I'm not opposed to or anything

it's a firstly space trucking simulator, yeah

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You're basically a space trucker in Rebel Galaxy (complete with country soundtrack) but it's for some reason locked 2D space combat, which isn't everyone's cup of tea, and they made a sequel Rebel Galaxy Outlaw that had full-on 3D space combat but then that got pretty meh reviews.

The sequel leans so much into the space country motif that all the stations are named after towns in Texas.

I remember the optimal play in the first one was to just get the fastest ship you could and scream into combat zones, grab the booty, and bail faster than anyone can catch you.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hatebag posted:

the trailer is mostly shooting but the game has pretty good space trucking, and no space trucking song :v:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

PostNouveau posted:

You're basically a space trucker in Rebel Galaxy (complete with country soundtrack) but it's for some reason locked 2D space combat, which isn't everyone's cup of tea, and they made a sequel Rebel Galaxy Outlaw that had full-on 3D space combat but then that got pretty meh reviews.

The sequel leans so much into the space country motif that all the stations are named after towns in Texas

oh yeah I wanted to play the sequel but just never got around to it (plus epic exclusivity killed my initial interest then I forgot about it)

what was wrong with it

also has anyone played Everspace 2? it’s supposed to be more freelancer game

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Frog Act posted:

Chiv really is the only game like this that integrates the absurd stuff into the actual mechanics with serious devotion and it does add a lot having guys doing wrestling moves with chairs, playing the lute, being shot out of catapults, etc

I’m level 530 now and get first place most matches post PS+ but I think the sweaty try hard gameplay is so much better for being alloyed by poo poo like flaming chickens and peasants knocking guys off horses by throwing plows

It's such a fun game and there's a wide variety of objectives that are all fun. Stealing pigs, throwing nobles off a pier, burning a library, killing a guy. It feels great when you complete the objective for your team like when you set the last bookshelf on fire and then whip around and cut some guy's arm off.
It's also pretty easy to identify which players are good and should be approached with caution because they have all the cool looking stuff. And there's a good treadmill of weapons to unlock as well. I got the one handed spear the other day and was just slaughtering people. Glorious!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
licensed Space Truckers game with a digitally de-aged Dennis Hopper giving you fetch quests over the space CB radio

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

i didnt imagine it, its a real thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH9vs3gjx0Y

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

yeah elite dangerous is already the ultimate space trucking sim. if you wanna do combat in that game god bless you but its not the game's actual strength

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

oh yeah I wanted to play the sequel but just never got around to it (plus epic exclusivity killed my initial interest then I forgot about it)

what was wrong with it

also has anyone played Everspace 2? it’s supposed to be more freelancer game

It's on Steam now. I haven't played it either.

A lot of the bad reviews seem to boil down to combat being too difficult, but then there are good reviews with tips that make it seem like a lot of bad reviews get jumped by the first big guy in the open world, don't know how to use the combat systems properly, and get pissed and quit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

The game outright says the text of the moral, that a chained animal will bite you if you treat it like poo poo, and if it's strong enough you will die.

I get that, but I'm just comparing those two quests which both feature lovely children. The first is portrayed as "redeemable" (in the sense that it's implied that the girl had never thought of her slave as being a human until Clive spoke with her) while with the latter son/father it's "welp, guess that kid + dad faced the consequences of their actions :shrug:"

It was funny because I didn't expect that particular outcome after the former quest.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Truga posted:

the trailer is mostly shooting but the game has pretty good space trucking, and no space trucking song :v:

Interesting, might be going in the game hopper

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hatebag posted:

It's such a fun game and there's a wide variety of objectives that are all fun. Stealing pigs, throwing nobles off a pier, burning a library, killing a guy. It feels great when you complete the objective for your team like when you set the last bookshelf on fire and then whip around and cut some guy's arm off.
It's also pretty easy to identify which players are good and should be approached with caution because they have all the cool looking stuff. And there's a good treadmill of weapons to unlock as well. I got the one handed spear the other day and was just slaughtering people. Glorious!

spears are incredibly competitive with their poking from behind friendly players capacity, good players with spears are insanely annoying. the weapon treadmill is indeed really exceptional, it’s the only game I know of where I can confidently say every single one is Good and Viable once you’ve internalized timing and relative length

I’m level 310 or so vanguard because great sword and Dane Axe/Messer both absolutely whip but have recently been really enjoying the halberd and heavy cavalry sword on footman. HCS is tops for multi target fights cus of its reach and speed, and a 45 damage slash nets a Tk now

I’m Dong Quixote and play frequently, say something if you see me and we can stomp pubbies

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I get that, but I'm just comparing those two quests which both feature lovely children. The first is portrayed as "redeemable" (in the sense that it's implied that the girl had never thought of her slave as being a human until Clive spoke with her) while with the latter son/father it's "welp, guess that kid + dad faced the consequences of their actions :shrug:"

It was funny because I didn't expect that particular outcome after the former quest.

Well you never see what the consequences are for the little girl so you can't say if she is redeemable or not. Only that the consequences of ignoring Clive might lead to a bad outcome.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Hatebag posted:

always been curious about elite dangerous but I thought it also had the dark souls thing where someone can just jump into your server and kill you which I loathe

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Hatebag posted:

trust me when i say that there is nothing interesting about Elite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Buck Wildman posted:

always been curious about elite dangerous but I thought it also had the dark souls thing where someone can just jump into your server and kill you which I loathe

you can play in public mode but you won’t see anybody unless you’re in one of the starter systems

you can also just put it in private mode