Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grab Im Moor posted:

These alien fellas look like rejects from the first D&D monster manual and that book had like a ceiling tile with googly eyes and poo poo lol.
I'm boner blob with the piss jello cube and red gumball center.

an rpg where you murder aliens instead of like elves and poo poo would probably be pretty fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

drat aliens flying around in their hypercubes at all hours of the night, some of us actually have to go to work in the morning

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

an rpg where you murder aliens instead of like elves and poo poo would probably be pretty fun

d&d has aliens, there are definitely other planes and i'm pretty sure other planets in some settings

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

X-Com: UFO Defense

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

mediaphage posted:

lol why do you think that show happened

I figured money, grifting and acting tbh. I think I had too much faith in people to think they bought into their own poo poo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dick Bastardly posted:

The dumb theories are highly unlikely (based on what, all of human experience and scientific analysis of the material world to date?) sure, but you can't disprove them. I think dismissing even the most absurd possibilities outright based on personal bias is unscientific.

All of human experience and scientific analysis that was available in the 14th-15th centuries informed the powers-that-were at the time that the Earth was flat, or at least, that it couldn't be proven otherwise save for the "dumb" 3rd century Hellenistic astronomers estimations of the spherical nature of Earth. It turns out that the "absurd" notion that the Earth is round was eventually proven correct with the first circumnavigation.

Maybe not the best example to highlight my point, but never the less, my point remains that just because you don't want to believe something is true doesn't mean there isn't the possibility that it is. Of course the flip side to that is just because someone wants to believe something is true doesn't make it so either.

1300's guy: "It's really dumb to think the Earth is round, just look at the flat ground dummy"

2020's guy: "It's really dumb to think we're living inside a simulation and/or interdimentional beings exist, just look at the modern understanding of the nature of the cosmos dummy"

I mean yeah, it's extremely unlikely that either of those things are true because it just doesn't sit neatly into what we think we know about existence/life/consciousness but it's never wrong or bad to have an open mind to outstanding or ridiculous seeming possibilities.

It's dumb to dismiss the invisible pink unicorn because in the past scientists didn't know everything

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

You'd think a UFO thread would have more Dale Gribble to it and less Hank Hill

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's not even true that people thought the Earth was flat in the 1300s, belief in a flat earth is a uniquely modern phenomenon (it's a theological thing not a knowledge thing, fundamentalists lashing out against heliocentrism because it would mean the bible is wrong) and evidence of our understanding that the earth was a Sphere dates back at least as far as the 5th century BCE

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 26, 2023

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Khanstant posted:

It's dumb to dismiss the invisible pink unicorn because in the past scientists didn't know everything

scientists of today don't either. That's kind of the point of science, to ask dumb questions and discover dumb answers.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's not even true that people thought the Earth was flat in the 1300s, belief in a flat earth is a uniquely modern phenomenon and evidence of our understanding that the earth was a Sphere dates back at least as far as the 5th century BCE

this means my third grade teachers lied to me. the bastards

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's actually a whole phenomenon that everyones teachers lied to them about!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_flat_Earth

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

I can't believe the Protestants and later atheists and agnostics would espouse such a myth/conspiracy to dunk on Catholics and theologians like that, vile stuff

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dick Bastardly posted:

scientists of today don't either. That's kind of the point of science, to ask dumb questions and discover dumb answers.

There's a huge gulf between horseshit like the extreme point of an obviously made up thing and a real testable theory that would mean something if verified or falsified. You or someone was trying to argue their punk unicorn dimension aliens as a comment are as valid as any actual theory or hypothesis and it isn't.

There are dumb questions and not every obtuse idea that can't be falsified by science is worth consideration.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Aliens aren't real and actually the people who are the biggest proponents of them are narcissistic abusers injecting psychedelics into their genitals for a new high.

Evidence? Have you considered that we once thought the Earth was flat? Can you really say this could not also be true? :smug:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
if aliens were real they would cure my IBS

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. :smuggo:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

If we're entertainijg theories that aren't falsifiable I would like to suggest that obsessive UFOlogists are part of a psyop to distract people from their real world conditions by giving them a distant and unattainable goal. By creating a split in narratives there is further "othering" and in fighting such that nothing of effective use can be achieved.

Aliens were a hoax created by the 1% to distract us. This is equally valid to theorise on. More so honestly, given the historical precedents.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

syntaxfunction posted:

If we're entertainijg theories that aren't falsifiable I would like to suggest that obsessive UFOlogists are part of a psyop to distract people from their real world conditions by giving them a distant and unattainable goal. By creating a split in narratives there is further "othering" and in fighting such that nothing of effective use can be achieved.

Aliens were a hoax created by the 1% to distract us. This is equally valid to theorise on. More so honestly, given the historical precedents.

Bread and circuses and butt stuff.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Sign me the hell up

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I asked the aliens if they were real or not and they said no.

So yeah, sorry, alien aren't real. :(

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

If aliens aren't real then who was probing my butt last night???

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Bad Purchase posted:

d&d has aliens, there are definitely other planes and i'm pretty sure other planets in some settings

I'm pretty sure every Might & Magic and Wizardry series game had aliens.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Lol, sorry boss we can't get on with publishing our HPV research, we still need to rule out angels.

naem
May 29, 2011

Dick Bastardly posted:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Stealing the gently caress out of this, thank you

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Stealing the gently caress out of this, thank you

gonna need to see your nft for this if youre going to repost it

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

lol

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Teachers sure do love Columbus. I was also taught he was English.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

cat botherer posted:

Teachers sure do love Columbus. I was also taught he was English.

lmao what???

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I think that teacher must have been thinking of this:

"I am Italian. Because I learned my maternal family had an anglo-saxon background, I said I was 'Engl-"ish"' the Post quoted Columbus as saying.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

mediaphage posted:

lmao what???
I had the dumbest loving teachers, with a few exceptions. There was definitely a weird undercurrent of Anglo-specific supremacy or something. Everything up to like 1750 was always very pro-English. I also never learned anything past the War of 1812 in my entire K-12 education. It was basically Columbus, the Pilgrims, and the American Revolution, again and again and again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

There are methods to approach the UFO phenomenon scientifically, but each time I bring them up people call me crazy and call security so what can you do. Basically, we need to shoot one down. A very maneuverable hypersonic interceptor missile could do the trick. Or a laser based system. Both are feasible with our current knowledge, but they do need to be developed. We also need a lot of them to cover a huge enough area. A tactical nuclear weapon could also be a solution, if detonated at the appropriate distance. It's not very complicated, but we do need to spend some money to develop these weapons. There is an old saying where I'm from: Aliens go from unresearched to researched by the way of green.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

OMFG FURRY posted:

if aliens were real they would cure my IBS

who do ya think created it in the first place?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

GABA ghoul posted:

There are methods to approach the UFO phenomenon scientifically, but each time I bring them up people call me crazy and call security so what can you do. Basically, we need to shoot one down. A very maneuverable hypersonic interceptor missile could do the trick. Or a laser based system. Both are feasible with our current knowledge, but they do need to be developed. We also need a lot of them to cover a huge enough area. A tactical nuclear weapon could also be a solution, if detonated at the appropriate distance. It's not very complicated, but we do need to spend some money to develop these weapons. There is an old saying where I'm from: Aliens go from unresearched to researched by the way of green.

yes let's develop nukes to shoot at aliens

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Grey Cat posted:

If aliens aren't real then who was probing my butt last night???

Next time ask the man's name.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I think it'd be funny if we made contact with intelligent aliens and they were super advanced, but had their huge nuts out all the time. Like, just slapping them down on tables during state dinners.

BigBadSteve posted:

Next time ask the man's name.

That's just sexist.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Apologies for the reddit link, but disclosure is in progress. Multiple individuals with first hand knowledge and high level clearance have testified to Congress.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/14k0tlv/news_nation_segment_with_senator_marco_rubio

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
all those apparently came forward before grusch fyi over the last two years so i'm curious what this is that rubio is talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

any day now, surely they'll have real details to share this time. must be imminent now. won't be long, many accounts of first hand accounts are rumored.