Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Three years later, John Collins finally got traded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Jack's Flow posted:

Three years later, John Collins finally got traded.

emergency pods firing up as we speak

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The NBA needs to get rid of the cap because I am loving sick of the dominant voices in basketball coverage being a bunch of dweebuses yelling out salaries for 90 minutes, it's loving tedious. I just need to know who are hoppers, ballers and who is BACK.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

The NBA needs to get rid of the cap because I am loving sick of the dominant voices in basketball coverage being a bunch of dweebuses yelling out salaries for 90 minutes, it's loving tedious. I just need to know who are hoppers, ballers and who is BACK.

whether or not they hoop or ball is highly dependent on how they get their bag

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

R.D. Mangles posted:

Perkins is like the most visible NBA guy

Edit: minus Barkley

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
all NBA salaries will be determined by my proprietary "Got that Dog in Him"/"That Boy Nice" metrics.

For some reason it's saying Kenneth Lofton Jr is the most valuable NBA player, but hey the math doesn't lie.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dexo posted:

all NBA salaries will be determined by my proprietary "Got that Dog in Him"/"That Boy Nice" metrics.

For some reason it's saying Kenneth Lofton Jr is the most valuable NBA player, but hey the math doesn't lie.

Per 36 DAWG numbers are off the chart

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You see they've exceeded the second tax apron which limits their trades so you can get 125% of incoming contracts which generates a TPE

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If there were no salary cap then Bobby Marks would never be on the Lowe Post so the quality of that pod would go up

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dexo posted:

Nah, I don't like the idea of players not getting paid money they were promised, Something more along the lines of you trade a player they get paid everything, but the extra money is no longer off the cap.

It puts the onus on the team's trading for the cap exception player to have the space, and makes them feel the pain and deal with the consequences.

I'm good with that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

WhyteRyce posted:

If there were no salary cap then Bobby Marks would never be on the Lowe Post so the quality of that pod would go up

so many nerds would go back to like WSJ or the financial sector, and we'd all be better for it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

Best way to stop superteams is to like make it so teams can actually pay players what they are worth and not artificially capping their pay. The best players realized that if they are gonna get a max anyway, and their shoe deals and whatever else pay more than their NBA salaries, they go where it's fun, or they can take advantage of other opportunities.

Talent is still gonna always consolidate. It's just now owners are able to be cheap while letting it consolidate into a handful of teams.

So do you have the BRI split or not? If not (ie, theoretically limitless contracts) then the owners will absolutely depress player values through collusion or just bring general assholes all the time, like what happens in baseball.

If you still have a revenue split, then your talking about a hard cap with a max contract being "your whole cap minus minimum cap holds" which I don't mind either but comes with some other problems.

ChickenMedium posted:

My solution to this problem is to have one designated roster spot per team that does not count towards the salary cap. Lets at least the top players get their actual value and prevents super teams because all the best players are going to want to be on their own team so they can get the big, big bucks.

I don't mind this either, with some "you can only trade the guy into another teams true max" slot. And I'd maybe even say the contract should still count against the cap, so you can have teams try to compete with a top-20 guy in that slot but have more money available for the best roleplayers.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Lockback posted:

So do you have the BRI split or not? If not (ie, theoretically limitless contracts) then the owners will absolutely depress player values through collusion or just bring general assholes all the time, like what happens in baseball.

If you still have a revenue split, then your talking about a hard cap with a max contract being "your whole cap minus minimum cap holds" which I don't mind either but comes with some other problems.

I think the problem in the latter scenario is it just logistically doesn’t make sense. The NBAPA mostly protects the interests of the NBAs middle class and they already got a sweet deal for as many people as possible. There aren’t really any systems people are proposing that would preserve that while ensuring the product was good imo

Edit: imo they deserve way more BRI

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The NBAPA has been systematically destroying the middle class of NBA players the past few CBA's lol.

The outcome of the current CBA is going to lead to the meta of players being either a Max, a MLE, or a BAE/Minimum.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 26, 2023

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dexo posted:

Danny Ainge's entire thing is collecting a bunch of role players that some championship team might eventually want, to fleece that team, and then use the spoils from that fleecing to build the team.

it would not shock me if he flips Collins/Lauri/others this trade deadline for more younger promising prospects/picks

edit vvvvv:

Or yeah like below, tries to fleece some team and fails.
Everyone talking about what Ainge is gonna do with Collins but what is Atlanta up to... Collins's time dropped off a bunch when Quinn Snyder started anyway I think. But does bey just start at the 4 now? Do they have cap space to add someone? With one less guy eating minutes, might free up some time for Bufkin even though he's not at the same position. Still got a bogdanovich and AJ Griffin as wings also and I just realized deandre hunter is extended through 2026-2027

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Collins is one of those guys who was maybe worth 2 firsts a few years ago when trade speculation around him started, then one first, and now he’s a 2nd. Same thing with Beal, who probably should have been traded years ago, and instead Washington got nothing for him. Who are the current players that should probably be traded now, but won’t be? And what are some examples when everyone thinks a team should trade someone, the team holds on, and it actually works out for that team?

I guess I’m glad the Knicks didn’t try to trade randle after last season. I think portland should trade dame because this might be their last chance to get a haul. I kinda think lauri is at his peak value now too.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Dexo posted:

The NBAPA has been systematically destroying the middle class of NBA players the past few CBA's lol.

The outcome of the current CBA is going to lead to the meta of players being either a Max, a MLE, or a BAE/Minimum.

I have wondered how much of this is NBA players general belief in themselves and a large number of minimum guys voting as block.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

euphronius: this is the only way to win a Finals!!!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

temple posted:

if its bad idea post time, i propose removing all drug testing. i want stimmed up space marines playing basketball

we'll know this happened when jokic suddenly gains a vertical

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

ex post facho posted:

we'll know this happened when jokic suddenly gains a vertical

sombor flubber

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

JackBandit posted:

And what are some examples when everyone thinks a team should trade someone, the team holds on, and it actually works out for that team?

Toronto won a championship after years of "they should trade Lowry and DeRozan and blow it up." They did trade DeRozan, of course, but it was for a very specific piece.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Calidus posted:

I have wondered how much of this is NBA players general belief in themselves and a large number of minimum guys voting as block.

A pretty significant chunk of those guys know they are out of a job if they agitate.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Dexo posted:

Just randomly sampling teams and contracts and this isn’t really true I don’t think. End of the bench dudes were never getting paid and it’s not who I’m talking about. Don’t think that Naz contract fits anything you’re talking about here

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Naz Reid's contract is like a million or so more than the MLE I think the NBA MLE for the upcoming season is around 13 million.

I will say that Rookie extensions on players who haven't been elite, but have some upside still are where things can get more touch and go, especially in like RFA situations. Where you will find players making more than the MLE but not in the upper max tier. Around that 20 million number, but also the new CBA hasn't kicked in yet.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 26, 2023

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Lockback posted:

Toronto won a championship after years of "they should trade Lowry and DeRozan and blow it up." They did trade DeRozan, of course, but it was for a very specific piece.

Don't forget Dallas before Dirk won them a title. Miami pre-Jimmy. Also lots of people thought Klay and Dray were washed before the last GSW title.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
John Collins, to the monkey paw: I wish I could finally be traded and not have to deal with trade rumors

*finger curls, camera pans up, it's Danny Ainge wearing a glove

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Dexo posted:

I need to see what some of the guys who opted out in the last week(s) are gonna get on the free market before I make my (likely incorrect) opinions known. I'm curious what the market is for Kyle Kuzma and Bruce Brown.

In general, I agree with you, but I think teams will still overpay mid-level guys to get them away from their current teams and then those moves will either work out or hamstring them for years, as is tradition in the NBA.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So Naz Reid seems like the platonic ideal of who the suns need to play the 5 and Ayton seems like the worst possible fit on the twolves. I'm trying to think of how Naz + Prince to the suns would work with a third team to take Ayton.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Dexo posted:

There's going to be less of bird rights traps and big spenda teams hording guys. I think the middle class will just spread out.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Bip Roberts posted:

So Naz Reid seems like the platonic ideal of who the suns need to play the 5 and Ayton seems like the worst possible fit on the twolves. I'm trying to think of how Naz + Prince to the suns would work with a third team to take Ayton.

I don't follow Minny that close but I feel like there's 0 chance of them trading Naz until they see how the KAT and Gobert experiment goes

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Suns should offer Ayton for Ant then the wolves are one step closer to being all centers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

slave to my cravings posted:

Suns should offer Ayton for Ant then the wolves are one step closer to being all centers.

Somewhere Elton Brand is smiling

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Dexo posted:

It's brutal man. But completely mirrors real life "barbell model" economics

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Do we get our KAT trade now?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Calidus posted:

The Wolves can't tank and no one is going to give up a better player for KAT, so why would a trade happen? If KAT plays well and has some value this season but doesn't mesh with Gobert then maybe but otherwise selling KAT after his value is low due to an injury plagued season isn't going to happen.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Calidus posted:

Wolves are adamant they want to run it back and hope for better injury luck, so I wouldn't see him going until the deadline at earliest unless someone makes a truly unhinged offer.

Bip Roberts posted:

I don't recall sign & trade rules well enough to know if this is even possible, but Wolves have dire need for a backup PG who can spell and eventually take over from Conley -- ideally on a longterm, costcontrolled deal.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's brutal man. But completely mirrors real life "barbell model" economics

Isn't this basically a function of the salary cap? If there are max-level players that can provide value above and beyond their salary, wouldn't it make more sense to try to splurge on 1-2 of those vs. spreading the money around on quality role players who provide their exact value? Especially since those role players can be poached more easily in free agency if they string together good seasons.

This also ignores the other benefits of stars, like increased media coverage and paraphernalia sales.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Isn't this basically a function of the salary cap? If there are max-level players that can provide value above and beyond their salary, wouldn't it make more sense to try to splurge on 1-2 of those vs. spreading the money around on quality role players who provide their exact value? Especially since those role players can be poached more easily in free agency if they string together good seasons.

This also ignores the other benefits of stars, like increased media coverage and paraphernalia sales.

Here's die problemme

There are some max level players. But because of envy, ego, etc, any player who's a first option on a lovely team thinks they're a max player. So every team ends up maxing somebody, even if they could barely be a third option on a championship team. So the league gets split into a moderate group of haves, players on rookie deals, 30 guys on midlevel exception and the rest on near minimum deals.

what you want is a "max" guy who's actually underpaid according to his play, like a Curry, Giannis, Embiid, Jokic, etc. teams who've won championships of late have lucked into cheaper deals on stars because of injuries, being second round picks, so on and so farth.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

deal zone better kick off big time next week, so far it has been a rather lame deal zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

toggle posted:

deal zone better kick off big time next week, so far it has been a rather lame deal zone

Free agency doesn't officially happen until July 1 you impatient inpatient