Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the thing I really dislike about Michigan is that in the winter you get to experience -20c for weeks and weeks and then in the summer you get to experience 32c for weeks and weeks

let me acclimate to something! please!! I’m tired of being cold or hot with no In-between for most of the year!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cjs: not working, too busy daydreaming/being anxious about surgery in two and a half weeks

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the thing I really dislike about Michigan is that in the winter you get to experience -20c for weeks and weeks and then in the summer you get to experience 32c for weeks and weeks

let me acclimate to something! please!! I’m tired of being cold or hot with no In-between for most of the year!!

that's insane. here in Perth, West Aus it only goes from like 10C min in winter to 40C max in summer. tbh from all the poo poo i heart about subzero living in the US and elsewhere im glad we don't get it over here, even though i do prefer colder weather (anything other than three months of >35C of which will probably be two straight weeks of up to 45C lol)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

cjs: not working, too busy daydreaming/being anxious about surgery in two and a half weeks

good luck with your surgery. imo you shouldn't work at all prior during or after, it could agitate your humours

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Pile Of Garbage posted:

good luck with your surgery. imo you shouldn't work at all prior during or after, it could agitate your humours

an imbalance of the humours is the worst thing to have pre-surgery

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

lol same over here

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
cjs: gently caress you, apache rewrite rules :argh:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

yeah same in minnesota and it's great

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Pile Of Garbage posted:

thanks. i really wanted it to be next week because work's closed from this saturday to next thursday (:toot:), but c'est la vie

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
CJS: Going to Tuscany for a week at the end of September for a "team building" event. The "team building" includes hiking, eating, and some meetings.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

CJS: Going to Tuscany for a week at the end of September for a "team building" event. The "team building" includes hiking, eating, and some meetings.

drat, rocks

matti
Mar 31, 2019

aw hell my phone's battery is mad bulging

i hate buying smartphones >:(

e: Nokia G22 is 200 euro funny moneys, maybe that.

matti fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 26, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mediaphage posted:

drat, rocks

Tuscany is nice. I prefer Marche, though. It's just as pretty with fewer tourists.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i wonder if they'll use propofol this time. they used that on me last time i had surgery and the experience was so weird that i kinda want to experience it again

easiest wake-up i ever had, too, no nausea at all

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

CPColin posted:

cjs: time to quit

:allears:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CPColin posted:

cjs: lol my old boss applied for the open position on my team. I might just say "skip the interview and make them an offer because it's gonna be at least $50k below their ask"

Edit: Oh wait they applied to be my team lead? Never mind, time to quit

I once had an ex-coworker that applied to my team at $lastjob. Luckily my boss knew him and denied his resumè before he even got an interview. A coworker of mine and I also told him we would both quit if he joined. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cjs: talking to the manager of another team in the afternoon

network security(-adjacent) team, manager comes with high praise from goon, fingers crossed

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
c intern s: broke an internal tool again and now people i dont know from other teams keep pinging me about it. maybe i just wont fix it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

sowing chaos amidst the ranks

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

lord fifth posted:

c intern s: broke an internal tool again and now people i dont know from other teams keep pinging me about it. maybe i just wont fix it

sounds like whoever assigned you that ticket hosed up and didn’t make sure all of your team’s stakeholders and dependents are ready to handle the change

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

CPColin posted:

cjs: lol my old boss applied for the open position on my team. I might just say "skip the interview and make them an offer because it's gonna be at least $50k below their ask"

had a toxic former coworker reach out to me on linkedin after two years of radio silence asking me to be a professional reference

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

CPColin posted:

poison that well op

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

success, so clearly in view

or is it merely a trick of the light?

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

my company thinks next tuesday is a holiday and monday is a work day

i regret to inform them they are mistaken

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

Pollyanna posted:

sounds like whoever assigned you that ticket hosed up and didn’t make sure all of your team’s stakeholders and dependents are ready to handle the change

this is absolutely correct

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

well-read undead posted:

my company thinks next Tuesday is a holiday and Monday is a workday

i regret to inform them they are mistaken

Any day is a day off if you work from home. :v:

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

FlapYoJacks posted:

Any day is a day off if you work from home. :v:

the difference between a day off and not a day off is i don't have to respond on slack like i'm working

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

well-read undead posted:

the difference between a day off and not a day off is I don't have to respond on Slack like I'm working

Eh, I put on do not disturb. That doesn't convey that you should not disturb me while I play Diablo 4.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

cjs: don’t know if i can go in. been off a long time on stress leave or something like that. today is my first day back and i’m already stressing over it.

i really want to ‘hit da bricks’

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

lord fifth posted:

this is good, but it would be better for your visibility if you start breaking external tools

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
believe me im trying as hard as i can

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

lord fifth posted:

this is absolutely correct

I wish I had the wisdom to have such an outlook so early in my career

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
the one hard lesson ive learned so far is that i am not the only person pretending very hard to not be confused

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My friend texted me that my previous job was upset because my provisioning tool broke. After a quick check, it turns out that the tool the team uses is ten months out of date. The tool itself parses a settings structure and proto files before building and has to match with whatever version the provisioning team is trying to provision. I automated all this, made a confluence wiki, and a nice README.md file. Nobody read any of it and just started to bitch and moan when their outdated version of my tool broke, then tried to blame my code.

My friend and I are splitting the profits on this one. Three days of "investigation" split 50/50. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

lord fifth posted:

the one hard lesson ive learned so far is that i am not the only person pretending very hard to not be confused

:ssh: literally every software engineer has no idea what’s actually going on and are faking it until they make it. this includes the software engineers at google’s networking organization who are in charge of writing software to properly configure networking devices such that google’s data centers don’t fall over and die and piss off almost a billion people.

we do not always succeed

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lord fifth posted:

welcome to like 90% of adults at their jobs

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pollyanna posted:

:ssh: literally every software engineer has no idea what’s actually going on and are faking it until they make it. this includes the software engineers at google’s networking organization who are in charge of writing software to properly configure networking devices such that google’s data centers don’t fall over and die and piss off almost a billion people.

we do not always succeed

fondly remembering the time someone pushed a config at google that disabled access to the version control and code review tools for the entire company for about four hours

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah same in minnesota and it's great

I will say that we get to truly say “well at least we have all four seasons” and it really makes you enjoy the good weather when it’s here

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

quiggy posted:

fondly remembering the time someone pushed a config at google that disabled access to the version control and code review tools for the entire company for about four hours

wish it was 4 decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pollyanna posted:

wish it was 4 decades

looks like they really paid the piper :imunfunny: