Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Cripes, how'd you manage that much? I'd say I've got half that number, though I did use some amount to get Yi-Sang's new identity - no regrets there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Verant posted:

Cripes, how'd you manage that much? I'd say I've got half that number, though I did use some amount to get Yi-Sang's new identity - no regrets there.

yeah I've been pretty consistent about dailies and I'm at about half

I absolutely have enough modules to grind out an unacceptable number of mirror dungeon though

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

Verant posted:

Half diligent gameplay, half whale / donor behavior. During the first 2-3 months from launch I was consistent about getting every monthly pack, and I've had the daily Lunacy drip going since launch. Due to that I've only used shards for maybe 3 things so far, including Pursuance. It also means I carried over an absolutely godless amount of both shards and unopened boxes from Season 1: I am sitting on about 2,000 thread after doing a big round of EGO upties the other day, and I think I have every ID (except maybe Sheeshcliff?) at III.

Combine that with finishing the Bus Pass yesterday and I'm sitting pretty for materials for a while. :v:

Google Jeb Bush posted:

yeah I've been pretty consistent about dailies and I'm at about half

I absolutely have enough modules to grind out an unacceptable number of mirror dungeon though

Just to cap off my hoard I've got somewhere in the ballpark of 340 modules because I am paradoxically very bad about both converting AND spending my enkephalin: I miss about half of it every day but I also only spend 6 a day usually, so I break even on the days where I forget to convert most of it (my enk cap is 129) and I eke out extras the rest of the time.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1673257208501641216?cxt=HHwWgIDRqZukzbguAAAA
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1673257495014576130?cxt=HHwWhMDUgfK0zbguAAAA
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1673258004458905601?cxt=HHwWgoDR1cXSzbguAAAA
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1673258183941570561?cxt=HHwWgoDS9f7czbguAAAA

All the previews are up.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Chef Ryoshu gaming.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1673261695710691328

Mirror dungeon #2 details. Seems like there's an interesting mechanic being introduced - you can swap around the how many copies of a skill you have in your deck, ie you can turn a copy of your S1 into an S2 or S3 etc etc.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg
RB Chef Ryoshu for sure living her best life here: If the fuels for both match her colors 1:1 I will not be surprised. More consistent and reliable Bind and Power Down are also very welcome.

Meanwhile as a huge fan of talismans as an occult implement and ritual tool in all kinds of settings, I am VERY into this new Sinclair potentially: Both Identities in this banner have a lot of Rupture and a way to just pop themselves to death if you overplay their gimmick. The Hong Lu also seems fun, with a Slash/Blunt split and the potential to be a new kind of tank: I wonder if we're looking at another solo all-star like Sunshower Heathcliff?

And yes I am VERY VERY VERY excited by the potential for the new Mirror Dungeon mechanics, deck editing, and Starlight / Cost.

Ariamaki fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 26, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

lmao they explicitly removed Baba Yaga from MD.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Talisman Sinclair, regardless of his actual numbers and usability, is using the mechanics of the enemies and abnormality he is meant to represent and actually looks mechanically interesting, so let me have one last LOL on behalf of Sloshmael and move on.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg

Lt. Lizard posted:

Talisman Sinclair, regardless of his actual numbers and usability, is using the mechanics of the enemies and abnormality he is meant to represent and actually looks mechanically interesting, so let me have one last LOL on behalf of Sloshmael and move on.

The more I look at it the more I think this is on purpose: Ishmael very much, canonically, HATES having received this EGO and just is constantly disgusted and unimpressed by it. This feels indicative of how even with Lobotomy Corp's suit-ified EGO, synchronization and proper pairing of user-and-tool is important.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Page 2/8, they know that lengthening a weekly grind task will be burdensome and have elected to grant partial rewards at floor 3 out of 5 in MD2, but I think what's also missing here from the equation is that, according to people mathing it out ITT, MD2 Hard Mode is the way to go. So the thing is, it's not just that the weekly MDs have gotten longer, they have supposedly also gotten harder.

Say what you will about MD1 being mindless, I could do it without caring while watching something else. I'm not sure if turning the dial to (or past) Spicy Brogy on repeatable weekly content is, uhh, going to feel great. Not when you it's ~optimal to run MD2 Hard (at least) three times a week.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg
"Harder" is a pretty wide space of variance. Currently the Mirror Dungeons, even with teams I literally pick by rolling dice, are the easiest content in the entire game. There's plenty of space for Hard Mirror of Mirrors to be "harder" than MD1 without being completely sweaty. And the difference in payout between them is not back-breaking for those who would rather have the simple experience: For when it's not your bonus it's 6 pass pips per module vs. 8.3, so a bit more than a 30% boost. Meaningful but not like "there's no point in doing Normal" meaningful. It's a valid option based on the user's skill level and time investment.

Also of note regarding the rewards is that it's not just partial rewards at 3 out of 5: Mirror Dungeons have always paid out partially based on how far you clear, it's just MD1 is so easy it almost never comes up.
The stated intention is that clearing the first 3 floors of MD2 will give 100% of your Lunacy (if it's a bonus) and 80% of the possible Pass Pips, so that alone is better than running MD1.
Then if you push further you not only get the remaining 20% of the pips, you also get the majority of the run's Starlight rewards, which is a new currency used to get starter bonuses for future runs.

"Harder" also doesn't take those into account, so it's very possible that once you stock up some Starlight you can make the runs as easy as you need them to be for your time.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Optimal play is for weirdos like me who can rush facefirst into railway and come out 83 turns later for a meme, just do what you can within the time you have available and that's honestly fine.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I agree, what "hard" means in this context is nebulous until we get our hands on the content. The fact that it's 50% longer per full run is fully known, but the actual difficulty could be anything from a slight bump all the way to Spicy Brogy+. I'm just saying that if it's harder and longer (heh) and becomes the optimal way to do weekly MDs, well... I still think that anything in the Grind bucket of activities in a game like this shouldn't really demand much from a player. Railways, sure, make them as sweaty as you like, they're one and done. But grind content like MDs? Idk...

TeeQueue posted:

Optimal play is for weirdos like me who can rush facefirst into railway and come out 83 turns later for a meme, just do what you can within the time you have available and that's honestly fine.

This is an excellent sentiment and obviously the healthiest way to engage with any game, but as is always the case if you make something optimal you can't really complain if people, lots of people, turn the game unfun for themselves while chasing that optimal path. And I don't think it's really their fault either, like ever.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 26, 2023

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sinclair:

Lt. Lizard posted:

Hong Lu: 1-2-2 is Bad, but that "above HP percentage" bonus seems really funny considering how Limbus clashing is all-or-nothing. He does unfortunately seem like a unit designed around taking a lot of damage and healing it up which usually means in practice he's going to get staggered immediately and then murdered due to how Limbus stagger works

Red Eyes: Oh hey an actual use for Bind. Plus Coin Drop sounds like an extremely funny effect.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
If the Hard Grind turns out to be too much of an attention sink for your liking, you can still do the easier one. That's not going anywhere, it's just not going to be as efficient per module.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

KazigluBey posted:

This is an excellent sentiment and obviously the healthiest way to engage with any game, but as is always the case if you make something optimal you can't really complain if people, lots of people, turn the game unfun for themselves while chasing that optimal path. And I don't think it's really their fault either, like ever.

I certainly can't argue with that. Chasing after liberation in maple has shown me that doing difficult content with significant handicaps is hellish and really probably shouldn't be required for standard endgame progression paths.

But the weapon you get is BIS, so.... :negative:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

KazigluBey posted:

This is only optimal if you assign zero value to your own time and enjoyment of the game, so I will very much fault these people for being bad at math, if nothing else :v:

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Theantero posted:

This is only optimal if you assign zero value to your own time and enjoyment of the game, so I will very much fault these people for being bad at math, if nothing else :v:

Like, I'm not the one coming up with this - XCom devs pointed out that if you allow them to do so, players will optimize the fun out of your game. And that you need to account for that and shape the game around that understanding.

It's super easy to go "well just don't do the optimal thing then, idiots" but it misses the point entirely that it's not how the majority of people engage with games.

It's not the players' fault if the optimal progression path feels bad and they figure out it's the optimal path and decide to take it regardless of the badfeel, even up to and including this souring them on the game. :shrug:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Just realized a fun wrinkle: do you think that the abilities shown for the new IDs and EGOs are what they'll have on 3rd uptie or on 4th uptie? :v:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

Like, I'm not the one coming up with this - XCom devs pointed out that if you allow them to do so, players will optimize the fun out of your game. And that you need to account for that and shape the game around that understanding.

It's super easy to go "well just don't do the optimal thing then, idiots" but it misses the point entirely that it's not how the majority of people engage with games.

It's not the players' fault if the optimal progression path feels bad and they figure out it's the optimal path and decide to take it regardless of the badfeel, even up to and including this souring them on the game. :shrug:

Just because the devs should take players being dumbasses into account when designing their game does not mean that being a dumbass is not the players' fault, is my point.

I also don't think the game should only have mindless content so that people that don't want to play it won't 'sour' on it, and am of the thought that having repeatable content that (hopefully) requires you to at least be awake for nominally better rewards than the thoughtless option is actually pretty good.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Theantero posted:

Just because the devs should take players being dumbasses into account when designing their game does not mean that being a dumbass is not the players' fault, is my point.

Except it isn't the players fault for seeking optimization, even at the cost of their fun, it's the devs responsibility to account for it. Optimization, to varying degrees, is a core part of gaming. The devs have all the levers, the devs have all the control. It's absurd to claim that it isn't the devs responsibility things turn out a given way when the incentives and objectives are entirely within their reach.

This is like rolling your eyes at people experiencing FOMO when a game in question actively promotes it in the first place - yeah players sure are wrong for feeling a fear of missing out in this, a game designed around experiencing a fear of missing out. They should just not feel that way I guess!

Theantero posted:

I also don't think the game should only have mindless content so that people that don't want to play it won't 'sour' on it, and am of the thought that having repeatable content that (hopefully) requires you to at least be awake for nominally better rewards than the thoughtless option is actually pretty good.

I agree on the first part of this - that's what Railway is for, in my eyes, along with all story/(non-repeat)event content. For the rest of it, it depends on how much the "repeatable" part really is. Again, depending on if you can afford it or not Energy Module wise, MD2 Hard is the potentially optimal way to progress on a daily basis. e.: as TQ says, it's a three-per-week-treadmill at most.

I do not think anything done that often should be Spicy Brogy tier or higher, actually. :shrug:

If this was an offline game with no GAAS systems I'd be right there with you on all content deserving to be somewhat engaging (at a bare minimum), but...

edit: Like, here was PM acknowledging precisely what I'm talking about, when people ran into a piece of content that had optimal rewards but required more than what people were willing to put into a treadmill activity time/effort-wise:

Were the people wrong to feel fatigued? The system, its incentives and rewards were all put together by devs, devs who realized what was happening as a result and took action. I think they did a great job acknowledging it and I hope it informs event design in the future.

TeeQueue posted:

If it helps, you can only do hard 3x a week at maximum. It doesn't matter if you do them all at once, so long as they're the first three you do. The rest of optimal farm strats are done into normal MD2 because you can't do any more than 3 hards...

That's a great point I missed, that there's a 3-per-week-max on the Hards. Cheers!

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 26, 2023

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

If it helps, you can only do hard 3x a week at maximum. It doesn't matter if you do them all at once, so long as they're the first three you do. The rest of optimal farm strats are done into normal MD2 because you can't do any more than 3 hards...

And frankly doing more than 1 a day is going to be a massive drain on enkeph modules unless you're not doing anything but MDs which is a level of optimization that I'm not even going to bother with. I like doing dailies too much since ticking the boxes off feels better than the "optimal" strat.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

My issue with the Railway being the only hard content is that those drop only like once every couple months. Three mechanically challenging MD runs per week for those of us that want them seems like a pretty good compromise.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I'd be happy if hard mode had other bonuses attached to it instead of having more BP. Like thread or XP tickets or something.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
hard mode for MD is opt in it’s allowed to be hard, all it does it boost efficiency rather than any type of unique reward, less fomo consequence on the total player populace than railway even which has special banners

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

All I know is I'm waking up 2 hours before maintenance on wednesday so I can wheelslam through three mirror dungeons, get all my weekly bonuses, then have weekly bonuses reset by maintenance so I can then get them all again on the new MD.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/poIando/status/1673057733027721217
let's go danteh

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

TeeQueue posted:

All I know is I'm waking up 2 hours before maintenance on wednesday so I can wheelslam through three mirror dungeons, get all my weekly bonuses, then have weekly bonuses reset by maintenance so I can then get them all again on the new MD.

Didn't they like disable weeklies/dailies and reroll BP exp last time they did something similar?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Didn't they like disable weeklies/dailies and reroll BP exp last time they did something similar?

The maintenance usually starts at the same time as the reset in such cases. The last time the reset happened before the maintenance it was possible to double up, because I definitely did.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Saw someone note that Kong Lu can self-fuel Dimension Shredder. That's gonna be a shot in the arm for survivability, I think.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Yinlock posted:

Sinclair:

Hong Lu: 1-2-2 is Bad, but that "above HP percentage" bonus seems really funny considering how Limbus clashing is all-or-nothing. He does unfortunately seem like a unit designed around taking a lot of damage and healing it up which usually means in practice he's going to get staggered immediately and then murdered due to how Limbus stagger works

Red Eyes: Oh hey an actual use for Bind. Plus Coin Drop sounds like an extremely funny effect.

Rcorp Heathcliff has it. It is indeed super handy to drop on an enemy that is not going to beat him in a clash, but is going to survive into next turn.

Edit: N corp, ugh in a hurry

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 27, 2023

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Really hoping the numbers on Sinclair are good, because man does he look like he's actually really good for rupture. Looks like he's just gonna constantly get a bunch of extra damage on all his attacks, and it'll really take off if you can manage to get some rupture count on it.

...Granted we still don't really have any units that can stack rupture count very well, but hey, it feels like a step in the right direction at least.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Even if the two identities turn out eh in fights, their support passives look pretty good too.
...Do hope they get good stats though, I can see a solo Talisman Sinclair really running away with things if permitted.
So four~ moves of stacking talismans, fifth dumping them on the target, giving (talisman)x(rupturecount) to a target. Maybe anyways, we'll see when the I.D.'s roll out.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

habituallyred posted:

Rcorp Heathcliff has it. It is indeed super handy to drop on an enemy that is not going to beat him in a clash, but is going to survive into next turn.

He does not, I don't think anything has it

If an ID could just casually drop that on someone it would be insane

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Arzaac posted:

Really hoping the numbers on Sinclair are good, because man does he look like he's actually really good for rupture. Looks like he's just gonna constantly get a bunch of extra damage on all his attacks, and it'll really take off if you can manage to get some rupture count on it.

...Granted we still don't really have any units that can stack rupture count very well, but hey, it feels like a step in the right direction at least.

That support skill, and the fact that Tailsman doesn't lower until it actually reaches x count, seems terrifying

even if his numbers blow chunks you can probably turn someone else into a Rupture death machine

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yinlock posted:

He does not, I don't think anything has it

If an ID could just casually drop that on someone it would be insane

N Corp Heathcliff has it on his second skill.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

N Corp Heathcliff has it on his second skill.

Oh and I even looked at him too, guess I missed that entirely

ok if an ID could casually drop that on someone, and was also good, it would be insane

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 26, 2023

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
-- The GoogleProg

Yinlock posted:

Oh and I even looked at him too, guess I missed that entirely

ok if an ID could casually drop that on someone, and was also good, it would be insane

It's not particularly crazy? It only reduces the power of + type coins by the effect's Count, which means it's just a mild persistent form of Paralysis that can't backfire by buffing - type coins. Unless the enemy is using...
> Several attacks
> Which are multi-coin
> That all come from a single body-source
> And have with high base values and small +s on heads

then it's got more in common with 7 Outis' clash power reductions than anything. It's good but I don't know if I'm quite grokking why it's being treated as a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ariamaki posted:

It's not particularly crazy? It only reduces the power of + type coins by the effect's Count, which means it's just a mild persistent form of Paralysis that can't backfire by buffing - type coins. Unless the enemy is using...
> Several attacks
> Which are multi-coin
> That all come from a single body-source
> And have with high base values and small +s on heads

then it's got more in common with 7 Outis' clash power reductions than anything. It's good but I don't know if I'm quite grokking why it's being treated as a big deal.

and 7 Outis is also crazy

Again this might be a playstyle difference thing, if you clash a ton then making enemy clashes worse is insanely good even if it's "mild". When my team went to town on ch. 2 bosses they typically ended up with like 2 rows of debuffs and just ate poo poo