Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's just yet another Stephen King homage, I'm sure.

"the teens" in this case means like the older teens, the ones that are like 17 years old that season. no one's making finn wolfhart and millie bobby brown do it, but there is a plotline about their halting first relationship stuff up through s4 and all that.

maybe this ties into the overall conversation but the stuff in stranger things feels appropriate? like it's not forcing young kids to have sex, it's not IT (the novel), it's got roughly three different age groups of characters having their own relationship stuff and what's there is appropriate for each age. people seem to be polarizing into "people below 18 shouldn't be shown having any affection/romance/sexual desire in media" and "people below 18 are fuckin and suckin it like the rest of them" (my understanding is Euphoria is kinda like this, but i've never watched it so maybe I'm wrong) and the idea that "a pervert is forcing two teens to have sex" in Stranger Things is feeding that polarization instead of giving it more understanding and context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Arivia posted:

and the idea that "a pervert is forcing two teens to have sex" in Stranger Things is feeding that polarization instead of giving it more understanding and context.

I didn't say forcing. What was the context for that scene then, with the creepy man (who I don't think the teens even knew at all?) having discussions about sex with them and urging them to get together? I'm not going to go back and watch it. Whoever mentioned Stephen King, it was very much that same feeling to the scene. I had no problem with the teens getting together, that was a believable romance. And there was nothing morally wrong about the romance stuff between the younger kids, it was just very forced and unnecessary.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I never saw the show but i always assumed it was about teens randomly burgling houses throughout the country.

You know, taking things from a stranger.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
More like oldupsidedownless!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

oldpainless posted:

I never saw the show but i always assumed it was about teens randomly burgling houses throughout the country.

You know, taking things from a stranger.

That's exactly what it's about good guess

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

run on sentience posted:

I didn't say forcing. What was the context for that scene then, with the creepy man (who I don't think the teens even knew at all?) having discussions about sex with them and urging them to get together? I'm not going to go back and watch it. Whoever mentioned Stephen King, it was very much that same feeling to the scene. I had no problem with the teens getting together, that was a believable romance. And there was nothing morally wrong about the romance stuff between the younger kids, it was just very forced and unnecessary.

"The creepy man" in question is Murray, the conspiracy theorist and former journalist. He appears at the beginning of S2 (so four episodes earlier), trying to talk to Hopper about the goings on at the Hawkins lab. Once Jonathan and Nancy (the teens in question) figure out that there's a cover-up at Hawkins, they look up Murray as a guy who can blow the whole thing wide open and go to tell him all the details of what's been going on. Murray's house is like a five hour or so drive from Hawkins, so the two teens end up spending a night in a motel along the way, then get to Murray's place and poo poo takes long enough they're going to have to spend the night there (instead of going to another motel.)

At the same time in the plotting of the season, Nancy's broken up with Steve, so the love triangle between her and Jonathan is coming to the surface (this is in the very first episode of the series, when Jonathan is being a creep and taking pictures of the party Nancy and Steve are at.) After the break up, Nancy turns to Jonathan to blow the cover on Hawkins with her, because she believes he'll be a good partner for that kind of investigation. There's very obviously supposed to be romantic chemistry between them, and the two are in a "will they or won't they" scenario at the motel the night beforehand.

When Murray goes "so you two done it yet or what" he's being crass and he's being immature, certainly, but it's set up as him picking up on the obvious signs between the two of them. As far as I remember, he doesn't watch, he doesn't force anything, he just smirks when they come out of the same bedroom the next morning. He's being a third party outside of social norms to push the relationship forward, not a creepy dude (in that sense, he is a weird shut-in conspiracy theorist with a literal tinfoil hat) who's getting off to it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

beautifully crafted tweet meticulously designed to start the absolute worst conversations possible

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like how none of them realize it’s bc the stories are really boring.

There’s a few apatow rom coms I really like, but I almost always skip the annoying fall out parts because they’re just so boring man. You can create drama plenty of other wise besides a dumb misunderstanding that leads to anger.

How many times we gotta see the guy either get caught sorta kinda cheating but not really with another woman and the love interest getting upset and now we gotta spend another 20 mins of them all mopey and then they get back together uagh.

Shut up!!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Part of me wishes Stranger Things had remained just that first season, or that it became an anthology. The final episode establishes some believable, interesting trajectories for the characters that suggest where they and the story might go. Aside from seeing Eleven and Hopper as feral weirdos trying to live together, none of that stuff was as satisfying to actually watch as the light suggestions given at the end of season one, at least to me.

To bring things back to the teen romance question, I like that it ended with Nancy seeing Jonathan as an acquaintance she’s not totally sure she wants to be friends with, because why should she when they’ve only spent a week around each other and have nothing in common aside from needing to complete an adventure? And the same scene establishes that she’s not happy with Steve either, because their relationship is only a few months old and she’s starting to figure out that they don’t have very much in common. It’s much closer to emotional reality than what you’d usually get in genre stuff, and it feels like seasons two and three trend much closer the norm for genre stuff. I do like that, the most recent season excepted, Steve and Nancy never talk to each other again once she dumps him, and he just goes on a trajectory that has nothing to do with the other teen characters.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

Part of me wishes Stranger Things had remained just that first season, or that it became an anthology. The final episode establishes some believable, interesting trajectories for the characters that suggest where they and the story might go. Aside from seeing Eleven and Hopper as feral weirdos trying to live together, none of that stuff was as satisfying to actually watch as the light suggestions given at the end of season one, at least to me.

To bring things back to the teen romance question, I like that it ended with Nancy seeing Jonathan as an acquaintance she’s not totally sure she wants to be friends with, because why should she when they’ve only spent a week around each other and have nothing in common aside from needing to complete an adventure? And the same scene establishes that she’s not happy with Steve either, because their relationship is only a few months old and she’s starting to figure out that they don’t have very much in common. It’s much closer to emotional reality than what you’d usually get in genre stuff, and it feels like seasons two and three trend much closer the norm for genre stuff. I do like that, the most recent season excepted, Steve and Nancy never talk to each other again once she dumps him, and he just goes on a trajectory that has nothing to do with the other teen characters.

yeah if i remember they're obviously trying to make nancy and steve a thing again in s4 and it's just like "why, he's a good guy but he's not the guy for her at all" that felt forced.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Season 2 of Stranger Things was such an abrupt decline in quality it felt like a fan fiction. It immediately answers every question left open by the first season and does an abrupt 180 into the cliche popular girl dumps her boyfriend for the nerdy outcast plot.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019
Romance seems to be the healthiest major media storyline tbh. Considering the others are money/fame and defeat/kill someone.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Also, kind of obvious, but watching people try to get what they want is far more entertaining and interesting than watching them have it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Arivia posted:

yeah if i remember they're obviously trying to make nancy and steve a thing again in s4 and it's just like "why, he's a good guy but he's not the guy for her at all" that felt forced.

That season really presses Steve into a lead adventurer role overall, which does not suit the character as well as the semi-competent goodhearted buffoon he is in every other season. Seeing him rip off his shirt and go solo against monsters is weird.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I AM GRANDO posted:

That season really presses Steve into a lead adventurer role overall, which does not suit the character as well as the semi-competent goodhearted buffoon he is in every other season. Seeing him rip off his shirt and go solo against monsters is weird.

When stuff like this happens I can only assume someone decided to try pandering to the audience by turning the fan-favorite character into a big hero, even if that's explicitly not what people liked the character for in the first place.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Also RE: The Bear relationship one, I'm only 5 eps into Season 2, maybe I end up dead wrong but it absolutely seems written to suggest a possible relationship between those two, they have a few close scenes together before he starts dating that other girl, and it looks like its leading into a jealousy situation of him being distracted from the restaurant and her jealousy not being clear if its because of the work or something more. Not saying its gonna go that way, but theres nothing wrong with that person shipping them based on the text imo.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Stranger Things S4’s biggest problem is that there was obviously nobody at Netflix willing or able to tell the showrunners “no,” so it ended up being wildly over-produced and under-edited.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Blue Moonlight posted:

Stranger Things S4’s biggest problem is that there was obviously nobody at Netflix willing or able to tell the showrunners “no,” so it ended up being wildly over-produced and under-edited.

I can forgive S4 a lot of sins, because after 2 seasons of Scooby Doo nonsense holy poo poo it's finally horror again. It's a show that's set in the 80s again, instead of being a heavy handed pastiche of 80s movies. And I forgot how much fun the characters are and how much I love hanging out with them.

I do think they chickened out by not killing off Max in the final episode though.

Oh I'll also forgive it a lot of sins because the amazing subtitling. [epic synth remix of Running Up That Hill starts playing]

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

woke kaczynski posted:

I mean I haven't done a poll or anything but of the handful of teens I know I wouldn't say there's any sort of generational backlash against romantic depictions in fiction, except the ones that suck. Kids are still out here writing fanfictions

And admittedly it's speculative but look at this poo poo from the replies:

https://twitter.com/lons/status/1672315437475053569

Come the gently caress on. It's honestly kinda grim seeing folks get into their 30s and start metamorphosing into boomers who make up scary stories about folks younger than them just based off vibes

in 20 years zoomers will say the exact same thing about the people who are babies now, it's just the same thing over and over, even the boomers were once kids being poo poo on by the people who used to be flappers

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Stranger Things leaned WAY too hard into the period accurate nostalgia trigger poo poo. I don't need my weird sci-fi to be historically accurate. It seemed like the nostalgia was the main draw for a lot of fans.

Netflix does Ready Player One as a kid's show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Blue Moonlight posted:

I really enjoy the slice-of-life stuff at the start of every season, so I liked all that slow ramp-up at the start. There’s no reason for a dungeons-and-dragons metal guy to be in the story at all (just have Dustin fill that story role instead and have the guts to kill him at the end), but he’s fun and creates many good character moments. There’s a sweet little scene in the first episode where he sells weed to a cheerleader who dies maybe 12 minutes later, and there’s no reason for them to have a character moment together, it’s a waste of screen time in terms of story efficiency, but it’s nice.

All the dungeons and dragons and pizza delivery stuff is basically the same. Jonathan doesn’t need a weedlord friend, but he’s fun. I kind of think the Duffers would rather just make a family drama with some comic elements, or a comedy with some dramatic elements, with the same characters and setting.

85% of the Russia stuff and main bad guy backstory/fight are all extremely boring.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Although the true crime of Stranger Things is in refusing to give any of that extra time to the best character in the series, the science teacher. They invented like three extra featured characters for season 4 but couldn’t think of anything for the science teacher to do?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blue Moonlight posted:

It’s big, loud and self indulgent and that rules

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

85% of the Russia stuff and main bad guy backstory/fight are all extremely boring.

The russia stuff was so egregious lol, i really didnt need this midwest mom to become an action hero. In fact, i really didnt need any of the characters to become action heroes, theyre homeyness was what was charming in the first place!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

I AM GRANDO posted:

I really enjoy the slice-of-life stuff at the start of every season, so I liked all that slow ramp-up at the start. There’s no reason for a dungeons-and-dragons metal guy to be in the story at all (just have Dustin fill that story role instead and have the guts to kill him at the end), but he’s fun and creates many good character moments. There’s a sweet little scene in the first episode where he sells weed to a cheerleader who dies maybe 12 minutes later, and there’s no reason for them to have a character moment together, it’s a waste of screen time in terms of story efficiency, but it’s nice.

All the dungeons and dragons and pizza delivery stuff is basically the same. Jonathan doesn’t need a weedlord friend, but he’s fun. I kind of think the Duffers would rather just make a family drama with some comic elements, or a comedy with some dramatic elements, with the same characters and setting.

Agreed. A big part of me is just burnt out on "the world needs to be saved". I think I'd like Stranger Things more if they took out all the, uh, stranger things. I guess it'd just be a weird 80s show called "Things" about nerdy kids playing DnD and working lovely mall jobs.

Also I hate a romance when it feels obligatory. I don't know how you can actually define that. Maybe when the story would have been functionally the same if the romance didn't exist. Like if nothing about the story hinges on a romance, there's no point to that subplot existing. I was extremely pleasantly surprised when Shang-Chi didn't have Liu and Awkwafina getting together, or almost getting together, or even almost kissing. The male lead and the female lead were pals. It's insane that that felt notable to me.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Diet Poison posted:

Agreed. A big part of me is just burnt out on "the world needs to be saved". I think I'd like Stranger Things more if they took out all the, uh, stranger things. I guess it'd just be a weird 80s show called "Things" about nerdy kids playing DnD and working lovely mall jobs.
I think that is why a lot of people would have liked the series to be an anthology show rather than the continuing adventures of this group of 80s kids in a small town (and Russia). This also would have hopefully cut back on the constantly ramping up of 'danger' (that we know isn't actually dangerous since none of the featured cast are going to die) and hanging the fate of the entire world in the balance. I am so not interested in Stranger Things Only Now The World Is Literally On Fire that they've set up for season five and honestly was more or less coasting through most of season four.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

Stranger Things leaned WAY too hard into the period accurate nostalgia trigger poo poo. I don't need my weird sci-fi to be historically accurate. It seemed like the nostalgia was the main draw for a lot of fans.

Netflix does Ready Player One as a kid's show.

Yeah the only reason I stuck with any of it was because it was impressive to see so many corporate sponsors line-up to help construct period-accurate production design, and it is spooky to see all the detail, but at the same time while watching it I thought "this isn't healthy; this is the cultural equivalent of binging on donuts." It felt like a warm bath in the worst way.

The kid actors are fresh-faced and good though, and if nothing else I'm relieved that they found things for the black kid to do that are beyond "token black character" without also making him "the representation of all non-white people." Oh and it was nifty to see Paul Reiser get to do "Burke, if Burke wasn't a piece of poo poo."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Lemming posted:

As a side effect, this killed the "save the world and get the girl" trope, which is probably for the best. And generally, the whole idea of a mandatory romantic subplot has been criticized long before this era. So it's not too surprising to see it fade away. I suppose it used to be considered the only way to get women to see an action movie, which is obviously no longer considered to be true.

Exactly right, Hollywood used to be obsessed with the idea of blockbuster movies needing to be "four-quadrant movies" which appealed to their four main demographics: males under 25, males over 25, females under 25 and females over 25, so there had to be a little something in there which appealed to all of them and you better believe they had formulas for balancing all that.

Here's a 2016 article called What Makes a Four-Quadrant Film? Ten Essential Elements which lays it all out:

quote:

Heroes and villains. That doesn’t mean heroes are flawless or villains can’t have a sad backstory, but concrete-thinking kids struggle with too much complexity in characters. You have to find the balance.

quote:

Kids in lead or major supporting roles. Including kids of course targets the "young" quadrant but also adds new levels of dramatic tension and/or comedy for adults. And let’s dump that “child protagonists can’t carry a film” idea for good! Harry Potter, E.T., Super 8, The Wizard of Oz and more say otherwise.

quote:

Hints of romance. Except for the rare, truly committed misanthrope, everyone responds to a well-done love story; it's universal. Even 9-10 year-olds (particularly girls) enjoy a bit of titillation here, and the adult quadrants love it, but again, striking the right balance re tone and content is important. Stop at innuendo and kissing.

It's all extremely calculated and clinical, it's a real profit-driven production line mentality to making movies.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
There is a weird streak of puritanism in some younger people online, but it only seems to be among the extremely online and who cares what they think

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'll cop to being someone who sometimes goes "wait, why are they hooking these two up? They had a good thing going as friends, and the writers are probably going to gently caress that up for reasons! What's wrong with showing, healthy, platonic relationships?!"

I had some recent examples primed when I started writing this post and now I can't remember them :argh:
It could also be because I'm asexual, so I want someone to cater to MY romantic wants, or lack thereof

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aces High posted:

I'll cop to being someone who sometimes goes "wait, why are they hooking these two up? They had a good thing going as friends, and the writers are probably going to gently caress that up for reasons! What's wrong with showing, healthy, platonic relationships?!"

I had some recent examples primed when I started writing this post and now I can't remember them :argh:
It could also be because I'm asexual, so I want someone to cater to MY romantic wants, or lack thereof
Nah forced romance is annoying to everyone. The weird forced one-sided niceguy thing the sheriff had going with the mom was a chunk of what ruined stranger things season 3 for me. Just let people be friends.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I definitely got annoyed that every single piece of media needed to have some tacked on romance, as a teen. Maybe I've just grown numb to it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Brita + Troy was a sign of the end for Community, that's for sure.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

I definitely got annoyed that every single piece of media needed to have some tacked on romance, as a teen. Maybe I've just grown numb to it.

That not really puritanism though, just pattern recognition

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Well with week 2 of The Flash being the deathnell of the Synderverse, good riddance. I did not age these 2 weeks, at all well.

Money well spent. So well spent. Billions.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Eh, Snyder's getting "gently caress yoooooou" money from Netflix so I don't think The Flash means anything outside of continued evidence that WB/DC has no idea how to make good movies anymore. Or maybe just good* CBMs

Mileage DEFINITELY varies on what constitutes a good cape flick, even before the lightning in a bottle Avengers craze

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When I was a teenager I thought all hetero romances in movies and TV were super boring but anything remotely queer was like "oh hm, this is suddenly interesting now."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only DC thing I’ve enjoyed is Peacemaker, which has stylistic elements that I don’t think will age well at all, but which has good characters and performances. The hyper-stylized bickering all the characters do is eventually going to be received in the same way we receive Whedon’s stylized dialogue.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

The only DC thing I’ve enjoyed is Peacemaker, which has stylistic elements that I don’t think will age well at all, but which has good characters and performances. The hyper-stylized bickering all the characters do is eventually going to be received in the same way we receive Whedon’s stylized dialogue.

already there for me, baybeeeeeeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think the only DC thing I enjoyed recently was the Harley Quinn show. Has aspects that are a bit dodgy, but it definitely is fun.