Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Taima posted:

Honestly, same on the no. I never got the whole "we want a head rest on the embody" thing. I've never once felt like it needed one, ever. The whole point of the chair is that your spine and neck aligning properly is your head rest.

The Embody is made to not use a headrest so not to be a weird about it but if you feel like you need a head rest, you might not be aligned in it right? Just something to consider, do what makes you feel good.

Ok maybe I'm just not seeing the angles here (get it) but I've never wanted to recline even close to as far back as it lets you either. In fact I recently kicked the recline tab on accident, got thrown way back and went "wow this is so uncomfortable and weird".

Idk. I just feel like the embody has a really specific thing it wants you to do with it. It doesn't want you to recline too much nor does it want you to support your head. Like... the entire goal of the chair is that you're aligned from top to bottom in it along the curvature of your spine. That feels like the entire gimmick of the embody. Literally everything I enjoy and appreciate about the chair stems from that alignment and more specifically, how the spine curvature mechanism in the chair back really allows you to intentionally dial that in.

For my use case, I know when my Embody is properly dialed in after resetting it for friends to try because the back support and recline are juuuuuuuuust the right tension that my bodyweight causes the recline to hover around the middle of the travel distance. I don't use the tilt limiter at all, the tension alone is enough. I was actually surprised when I was feeling around the chair for something and found that lever haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

fatman1683 posted:

What's the issue with the seat pan on the Aeron? I've never sat in one.

Just realized I never responded to this, my bad.

The frame around the seat pan of the Aeron turns upward pretty sharply, and some people complain that it digs into the side of their thighs.

I had the same issue when I was using one for a couple months, but eventually over a month or so I (accidentally/instinctively, without thinking about it) stopped sitting in positions that put a lot of pressure in those areas and the problem disappeared.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Zarin posted:

Chicxulub Impact Event.

Google has an animation on the search results page if you look this up.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Does anyone else’s Embody creak if you lean back or move your legs? Expect I’ll get used to it but it wasn’t cheap and is the noisiest piece of furniture I’ve ever owned.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Call it in as a warranty claim if you're not happy, Herman Miller will sort it

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SuperTeeJay posted:

Does anyone else’s Embody creak if you lean back or move your legs? Expect I’ll get used to it but it wasn’t cheap and is the noisiest piece of furniture I’ve ever owned.

Now that you mention it, it does seem to make a bit of noise when I move around.

Luckily for me, stuff like that isn't in the realm of FedEx Arrow; I will immediately forget that this chair makes noise about 5 minutes from now.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I just joined the Embody club in the most shameful way: Bought second-hand, with some flaws, for a pittance. It is a nice chair!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Where the heck did you find a used Embody on an even remotely worthwhile discount?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Unsinkabear posted:

Where the heck did you find a used Embody on an even remotely worthwhile discount?

Facebook Marketplace. I knew about the two major flaws it had going into the sale, and was ready to walk if it had anything else wrong with it. Fortunately, it didn't.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like the smartest way to get an Embody

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Depends what the flaws are

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
1. cum, 2. farts

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

Depends what the flaws are

A 1” tear on the right edge of the seat, which I am going to try (with no expectation of succeeding) to have fixed under warranty.

And the big flaw: Did not come with arms. I guess the last user removed them and misplaced them. Replacing the arms is about $260, but I don’t use arms on my office furniture anyway, so I don’t think I will replace them.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Out here in California there are quite a office supply dealers that have used Embodys and will even deliver them for around 700$ and they wont charge you sales tax.

2nd week with the new Embody, don't notices any significant noises and the pixelated back support doesn't make any crunchy noises that i've heard some early models have have had.

I'm not going to return it for sure but I kinda love that big box it comes in. Almost want to turn it into a cat house.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mofabio posted:

1. cum, 2. farts

They said flaws, not features

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

infraboy posted:

Out here in California there are quite a office supply dealers that have used Embodys and will even deliver them for around 700$ and they wont charge you sales tax.

2nd week with the new Embody, don't notices any significant noises and the pixelated back support doesn't make any crunchy noises that i've heard some early models have have had.

I'm not going to return it for sure but I kinda love that big box it comes in. Almost want to turn it into a cat house.

My cats love playing with the big black box that came as space filler. There are 2 cat-sized holes on one side that they squeeze into and jump at each other through

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

bobfather posted:

A 1” tear on the right edge of the seat, which I am going to try (with no expectation of succeeding) to have fixed under warranty.

And the big flaw: Did not come with arms. I guess the last user removed them and misplaced them. Replacing the arms is about $260, but I don’t use arms on my office furniture anyway, so I don’t think I will replace them.

They will do jack poo poo. You have no warranty; they are not transferrable. They are very strict about it. They do sell aftermarket parts if you’re serious though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

repiv posted:

Thinking of getting an Aeron Classic, at 6'3" I almost certainly want the Size C right?

Unfortunately I can't find anywhere to try one around here so I need goonpinions

ok i finally stopped putting this off and the size c was definitely the way to go, it's just right

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
After 2+ years of rolling around on this LVP floor, it seems the stock wheels on the Embody and Cosm I have are starting to cause the edges of the planks to pull up.

I'm thinking it's probably time to get some of the softer rollerblade wheels for these chairs. So . . . where is the best place to order something like that from?

Not sure if I should try looking directly from Herman Miller or if that will cost more than it's worth. But, I have no idea where I would even want to start looking for quality aftermarket parts, either.

Thoughts?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
You could always put a chair pad down on the floor

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Amazon has a bajillion Chinese rollerblade office chair wheels or you can hit up a physical used office furniture store, the place where I got my Aeron has a full service shop and has lots of parts including a pack of wheels they threw in.

I have an engineered wood floor not too different than LVP and it’s rolled around a treat. No damage with the soft wheels, no chair mat.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

If the person you are talking to reports to you, please though do not just say “hey when are you free to talk?” without any topic. When I hear that I subconsciously start editing my resume :-(

e: lol dunno how this happened, phone posting and wrong thread.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 20, 2023

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Inner Light posted:

If the person you are talking to reports to you, please though do not just say “hey when are you free to talk?” without any topic. When I hear that I subconsciously start editing my resume :-(
No matter what someone's relationship with me is, anything in the realm of "can we talk?" without any further information always makes my mood go sour. It implies either an uncomfortable discussion is coming or at best the person asking expects I'm more likely to say no if I know what it's about.

All it takes to solve this is continuing the sentence "about <topic>" so everyone's on the same page.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I understand, I asked my last chair to talk right before firing it.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
long shot but my Mirra 2 is having this problem:

the seatpan plastic latches detatched from the base. i can get it back on but it doesn't last more than 5 minutes of sitting.

is it DOA? probably could try replacing the seatpan but this is secondhand and i got in 6ish years ago. it could also be the base latches the seatpan connects to.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If everything is intact then use a decent PU glue to stick it back down. I wouldn't be buying expensive HM parts to repair a chair I had no warranty with, and you can always buy a new seat pan if gluing it doesn't work out.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I went to a showroom that had a couple of HM models. The top end Aeron with polished / leather furniture certainly looked nice, but I didn't really sit that well in it. The seat was one thing, but it also felt like the back was too short and too far away, if that makes sense.

Coming in, I was mostly looking for a mesh chair, and the Mirra was really nice, it felt much better than the Aeron to me. Especially for leaning back in. The Embody was also pretty good, and I think it would have gotten there if I had spent some more time twiddling with the adjustments. I don't really like how it looks, but I guess the plastic back of the Mirra also looks much "cheaper" than it actually feels.

The salesman claimed that the Mirra 2 doesn't lock, but looking online it seems like it should. Does anyone know if this is a configuration difference, or did the salesman not know the chair?

I think I'm leaning towards the Embody, but I don't know if I'll regret not getting the Mirra. Maybe I just need to go back again.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

NFX posted:

I went to a showroom that had a couple of HM models. The top end Aeron with polished / leather furniture certainly looked nice, but I didn't really sit that well in it. The seat was one thing, but it also felt like the back was too short and too far away, if that makes sense.

Coming in, I was mostly looking for a mesh chair, and the Mirra was really nice, it felt much better than the Aeron to me. Especially for leaning back in. The Embody was also pretty good, and I think it would have gotten there if I had spent some more time twiddling with the adjustments. I don't really like how it looks, but I guess the plastic back of the Mirra also looks much "cheaper" than it actually feels.

The salesman claimed that the Mirra 2 doesn't lock, but looking online it seems like it should. Does anyone know if this is a configuration difference, or did the salesman not know the chair?

I think I'm leaning towards the Embody, but I don't know if I'll regret not getting the Mirra. Maybe I just need to go back again.

I asked my brother to spill the deets on the tilt-lock mechanism on his Mirra2; I'll report back when he does.

In the meantime, I will say that while my Embody has a tilt-lock mechanism, I never use it - I just adjust the tensioner so it naturally puts my recline where I want it. Probably the first (only?) chair I would say that about.

If it's not too difficult to go back, I think that's probably a good idea! Now that you've narrowed it down to two, you can spend all your time in those two and really get a feel for the differences between them - hopefully arriving at a winner lol. Definitely try to spend an "extended" (for showroom standards) period of time in each to see if you notice anything different after the first 10 or 15 minutes. Hell, for all I know they might be pretty chill if you ask if you could bring a laptop in or something to simulate working from home for 15 minutes or so per chair if you ask. I suspect a salesperson would be pretty agreeable to almost anything if you're all but saying "Hey I'm definitely buying one of these two chairs, I'm just trying to decide which one is the right fit for me"

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's a good idea. The showroom was basically a corner of a big warehouse, and didn't look too busy, so hanging out for a while shouldn't be an issue.

And even if the Mirra 2 doesn't have a tilt lock it's not a deal breaker as you say. I know that you don't need a bunch of adjustment mechanisms, but it feels a bit lacking when the Aeron and Embody both have it. It's also one of the reasons I'm not looking at a Cosm :)

Edit: I haven't fully narrowed it down to those two chairs, but I don't think I have a Atrelcase ahowroom within a reasonable distance. The Gesture seems like it gets mixed reviews (not that it's bad, just that some people don't like it) and it's probably not a good idea to but one blind. Same with Humanscale for that matter.

NFX fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 21, 2023

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

NFX posted:

That's a good idea. The showroom was basically a corner of a big warehouse, and didn't look too busy, so hanging out for a while shouldn't be an issue.

And even if the Mirra 2 doesn't have a tilt lock it's not a deal breaker as you say. I know that you don't need a bunch of adjustment mechanisms, but it feels a bit lacking when the Aeron and Embody both have it. It's also one of the reasons I'm not looking at a Cosm :)

My brother said that his chair definitely has a tilt-lock mechanism, but he doesn't remember how many position settings; he'll check when he's home after work and dinner.

Yeah, I have a Cosm and it used to be my S-tier chair. It has now decidedly moved to A-Tier and the the Embody is the reigning S-Tier champion. I do routinely swap between the two during the day though, not only to change things up (they put pressure in slightly different places) but also because if I get too warm it's nice to swap out to the Cosm for a bit for the Full-Mesh Experience.

If I could go back and do it again, I think I'd want to carefully compare the Cosm against a Mirra2 (I'm not sure the showroom had any when I was in the market at the time though)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I'm about 95% sure that the tilt-lock on the Mirra 2s at my old office (in Aus, though I can't see it being different overseas) had 3 tilt settings. You slid one of the levers in or out and it would pin it upright, let it go part-way back or keeping it out let it go all the way back. There was also a knob to adjust the resistance of the tilt mechanism so you had to lean on it more to get it to tilt back.

I almost always just kept it pinned upright.

see here and here

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 21, 2023

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Zarin posted:

In the meantime, I will say that while my Embody has a tilt-lock mechanism, I never use it - I just adjust the tensioner so it naturally puts my recline where I want it. Probably the first (only?) chair I would say that about.

Same here, the tensioner is 10/10

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
My 10 year old Mirra 2 left armrest broke and flew across the room when I got up, ok thats fine, email into the distributor new set of arms and arm pads ordered then they’ll come to my house to repair it, nice

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

tehinternet posted:

Same here, the tensioner is 10/10

Hmm I’ll have to mess with this, I rarely unlock mine and don’t even know where the tensioner is on my Embody. I generally like my chairs to resist me a lot so I’ll see if I can find it and crank it.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hed posted:

Hmm I’ll have to mess with this, I rarely unlock mine and don’t even know where the tensioner is on my Embody. I generally like my chairs to resist me a lot so I’ll see if I can find it and crank it.

:ohdear:

If you think the chair is good NOW . . . .

There are actually two tensioners! Both of the arms that stick out to the right can be twisted. The front one (which has the height adjustment knob on it) controls how firm the tilt mechanism is, and the one further back adjusts the . . . uh . . . firmness/curve/fit of the backrest. I really don't know how to describe what it does - it's just some sort of arcane Chair Wizardry I guess?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

NFX posted:

Edit: I haven't fully narrowed it down to those two chairs, but I don't think I have a Atrelcase ahowroom within a reasonable distance. The Gesture seems like it gets mixed reviews (not that it's bad, just that some people don't like it) and it's probably not a good idea to but one blind. Same with Humanscale for that matter.

Just saw your edit! Yeah I'm firmly in the "gently caress the Gesture" camp after having used one for a year at work, but as you said it's a pretty polarizing chair and there are a lot of people that really like it.

I wish I knew more about Steelcase offerings, but the place I was accustomed to (it's been a few years and I've moved since then) didn't seem to be much into their stuff.

I moved to a much more populated area so in theory finding something local wouldn't be too difficult . . . maybe I should consider looking around again.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty much from what I’ve heard from folks is you are good with the Amia, no need to go further

But I enjoy mesh so I stick with HM

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Koirhor posted:

Pretty much from what I’ve heard from folks is you are good with the Amia, no need to go further

But I enjoy mesh so I stick with HM

I ordered an amia a few days ago so I hope I like it. I have an old Mirra 1 that I got for free and I just use a cheap amazon one instead because I dislike mesh so much. I'll still keep it though because it looks pretty neat.

e: also, i think, it gave me really bad sciatica pain

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 23, 2023

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Anyone had a problem with the Aeron where the front edge of the seat hurts your thighs? Elevating my feet with a footrest seems to help but I'm pretty sure that renders the position unergonomic. There must be an adjustment to fix this but I'm not sure what

Years back I posted in this very thread about how I got some nerve damage from an Aeron, basically the same thing you're saying here. I now own a embody and have no issues

ILikeVoltron fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Ya I had to get the adjustable flex seat on my mirra 2 so it tapers down smooth on my legs, sitting in an older OG Mirra with the fixed seat like the Aerons of old ya it digs in on you.