Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Splorange posted:

It was all a CIA plot. Time to purge EVERYONE!

Gotta admit, when all of this started my first thought was “Holy poo poo, the CIA hired Wagner!” :catstare:

Oh well. I guess the failed whatever that was beats nuclear armageddon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

If Prigozhin isn't killed by Putin, he will be killed by his own men for hanging them out to dry like that.

Why doesn't he shoot him now? I mean, come on, I'll go get a gun. We'll shoot him together. It'll be fun. BANG! Dead. Done.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

If Prigozhin truly is held as a prisoner in Belarus and doesn't accidentally drink polonium in the hotel while being transported to his private prison camp, the only asset he has left is what he knows. And that might be enough to buy a ticket to a nice western intelligence agency's safehouse in Bumfuck, Nowhere.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I'm starting to think the most likely scenario is that Chef Boyar P was getting his army taken from him without compensation and this was just his way of guaranteeing at least some form of compensation.

"If you're going to take my money, army, and power then I'm going to use those to gently caress you up before you take them. I don't want to, I wanted to be a Russian warlord, but now this is my only option. I'd rather die a rich warlord than be a poor nobody but I'll settle for being a rich nobody."

Then Putin reluctantly agreed to give him a Lada full of gold bars or whatever as a way to avoid the embarrassment/disaster of Wagner going ham on Moscow.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1673417269727096847?s=20

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
If Priz seriously thinks he's not going to be killed... I have to seriously doubt if he knows ANYTHING about Putin's Russia. Or indeed of the culture of the very organization he leads.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If Russia can't even denazify *one* hot dog seller what are they even doing with their lives

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Aramis posted:

Clearly, but I meant why bother with the rebellion in the first place. It seemingly fizzled out at the absolute first sign of trouble and accomplished literally nothing.

I think it's also really likely if Priggs did nothing he is very likely arrested or killed in the next couple weeks. He can't flee anywhere because of, you know, the list of war crimes. So his options were limited but he still had an army so...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Has he ever spoken so disrespectfully of his President? Is this a test to see how much power Putin has lost over the weekend?
Or is he tired of living and looking for a new, exiting and very short career as high-rise window inspector?

Yeah I think he's been throwing shade at Putin before in a roughly similar fashion

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Lockback posted:

I think it's also really likely if Priggs did nothing he is very likely arrested or killed in the next couple weeks. He can't flee anywhere because of, you know, the list of war crimes. So his options were limited but he still had an army so...

If he ends up in western hands they aren't just going to convict him and put him to gallows or some supermax to rot away. And neither will Ukrainian government as the guy is a star-hot intelligence asset.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

So Rybar suggests there will be a reshuffle in the MoD, but instead of Shoigu and Gerasimov, it will be Rudskoy (Main Operational Directorate), Buvatlsev (Main Combat Training Directorate), and Burdinskiy (Main Organizational Mobilizational Directorate).

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

This one has probably been done before but gently caress it we'll do it live, fuckin thing SUCKS

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

This one has probably been done before but gently caress it we'll do it live, fuckin thing SUCKS

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1673421099957121057?s=20

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Runa posted:

If Russia can't even denazify *one* hot dog seller what are they even doing with their lives

all the strategic reserves have been tapped, including the hot dogs. they simply can't afford to kill him now.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I think garrisoning the crusaders of the fourth crusade in Belarus is a sound plan which cannot backfire.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Runa posted:

This government crisis is like punching in a dream. Except a bunch of helicopters did actually get shot down.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Wait, did putin really not name names?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

EorayMel posted:

Russia can have LITTLE A coup, as a treat by Pig Boyardee

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
this entire situation so surreal it's starting to feel like one of those "time travelers are real" jokes to me.

like, there are so many ways this could have gone. if the point here was to get his boys and his people out of the line of fire and away from the incompetence, he could have, for example, seized an airfield, stolen a bunch of planes, and hosed back off to africa. that would've been bad, but ultimately the russian regime probably would've been able to spin and control that internally, calling prig a coward and his boys deserters. prig also would've been (generally) fine. wagner would have continued to exist and they could still kick other petty warlords around for diamonds in africa.

instead, he chose to go full armed mutiny. that itself is bonkers. it amplified the damage to the regime by like 10x by showing that internal security was a complete tire fire and internal unity is a pipe dream. it provided... actually very little in terms of overall benefit to wagner and prig unless he was interested in fully seizing the reigns of government, which he made pretty clear from the first word that he wasn't super interested in doing.

then, instead of sacking moscow and at LEAST securing his own safety and position, he STOPPED. not WAS STOPPED, he simply STOPPED. this amplified the damage to wagner by like 10x by keeping them firmly at the mercy of the regime, and again provided... basically nothing as far as we can tell. ok, sure, families were threatened. well tbh if they had just seized an airfield and a bunch of cargo planes to gtfo, they could've used the extra time and energy to help get families to ground. or just NOT DONE ANYTHING for another week or two while they moved assets and prepared for the correct time to strike, denying the regime this pressure point. even then, the regime also has its image further deflated because it did not, in fact, defeat the enemy. it even loses much of the benefit of its plan of absorbing the professional soldiers from wagner, because those dogs have already bitten them once.

like folks in the thread were pointing out while this was going on, there was basically no way this ended "well". putin is a piece of poo poo and if he had his position bolstered by a victory, that is bad. prig is a piece of poo poo and if he gains anything, that is also bad. them fighting puts innocents in the direct line of fire, which is yet more bad.

but the way this turned out, literally nobody won. putin has lost an immense amount, both in ""prestige"" and also materially by missing out on the opportunity to get actual soldiers back into ukraine. wagner has lost everything, and its lustily neo-nazi upper crust is pretty much all persona non grata in one of the only power structures that tolerated them. and, critically, almost nobody had to die in the crossfire. some russian aviators got vaporized when they were just confused grunts following orders, and each one of those are tragedies, but we could have had hundreds or thousands of unarmed civilians get fragged here. instead it was about a dozen soldiers.

this entire thing is like Jigsaw giving you two terrible choices on a coin flip, but when it flips the coin, it lands on its side. then the doll gets pissed off, reflips, and it happens again. then the doll goes to pure on wordless fury, and it happens a third time. it finally just bursts into flames and the door to its trap room unlocks without further comment.

there's a FEW historical events i can think of as crazy as this but this post is long enough as is.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 26, 2023

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Toxic Mental posted:

Starts slowly picking up piles of cash form the table while lecturing everyone and slowly walks to a tank to drop the cash in the window, then the KGB starts to chase him down and he runs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bone Crimes posted:

Wait, did putin really not name names?

No but in truth in that situation your better off not. If you want the whole thing to seem childish and illegitimate naming individuals counters that.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Coolguye posted:

this entire situation so surreal it's starting to feel like one of those "time travelers are real" jokes to me.

like, there are so many ways this could have gone. if the point here was to get his boys and his people out of the line of fire and away from the incompetence, he could have, for example, seized an airfield, stolen a bunch of planes, and hosed back off to africa. that would've been bad, but ultimately the russian regime probably would've been able to spin and control that internally, calling prig a coward and his boys deserters. prig also would've been (generally) fine. wagner would have continued to exist and they could still kick other petty warlords around for diamonds in africa.

instead, he chose to go full armed mutiny. that itself is bonkers. it amplified the damage to the regime by like 10x by showing that internal security was a complete tire fire and internal unity is a pipe dream. it provided... actually very little in terms of overall benefit to wagner and prig unless he was interested in fully seizing the reigns of government, which he made pretty clear from the first word that he wasn't super interested in doing.

then, instead of sacking moscow and at LEAST securing his own safety and position, he STOPPED. not WAS STOPPED, he simply STOPPED. this amplified the damage to wagner by like 10x by keeping them firmly at the mercy of the regime, and again provided... basically nothing as far as we can tell. ok, sure, families were threatened. well tbh if they had just seized an airfield and a bunch of cargo planes to gtfo, they could've used the extra time and energy to help get families to ground. or just NOT DONE ANYTHING for another week or two while they moved assets and prepared for the correct time to strike, denying the regime this pressure point. even then, the regime also has its image further deflated because it did not, in fact, defeat the enemy. it even loses much of the benefit of its plan of absorbing the professional soldiers from wagner, because those dogs have already bitten them once.

like folks in the thread were pointing out while this was going on, there was basically no way this ended "well". putin is a piece of poo poo and if he had his position bolstered by a victory, that is bad. prig is a piece of poo poo and if he gains anything, that is also bad. them fighting puts innocents in the direct line of fire, which is yet more bad.

but the way this turned out, literally nobody won. putin has lost an immense amount, both in ""prestige"" and also materially by missing out on the opportunity to get actual soldiers back into ukraine. wagner has lost everything, and its lustily neo-nazi upper crust is pretty much all persona non grata in one of the only power structures that tolerated them. and, critically, almost nobody had to die in the crossfire. some russian aviators got vaporized when they were just confused grunts following orders, and each one of those are tragedies, but we could have had hundreds or thousands of unarmed civilians get fragged here. instead it was about a dozen soldiers.

this entire thing is like Jigsaw giving you two terrible choices on a coin flip, but when it flips the coin, it lands on its side. then the doll gets pissed off, reflips, and it happens again. then the doll goes to pure on wordless fury, and it happens a third time. it finally just bursts into flames and the door to its trap room unlocks without further comment.

there's a FEW historical events i can think of as crazy as this but this post is long enough as is.

You are also forgetting that according to news, Wagner troops were within walking distance of nuclear weapons, but ultimately did not choose to pursue taking over that base.

That would have been an ultimate safety card, as there would have been no way of knowing if they have the possibility to use them in any way or if MoD managed to disable them in time. Unless MoD comes forward and says that "nothing in that base actually works so LOL".

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A couple of threads on this, from talkingpointsmemo

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1672999622032195584?s=20

https://twitter.com/Stanovaya/status/1672991911538196482

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Coolguye posted:

I will say, it's entirely probable that many equally stupid and baffling things have happened in the past and were simply left unrecorded into any histories preserved into the modern day.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Great threads but I have some bad news. I saw in a tweet that there was a Nazi symbol in Ukraine. So who is the real villain here? Who’s to say

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1673423630703685633?s=20

interesting

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

Great threads but I have some bad news. I saw in a tweet that there was a Nazi symbol in Ukraine. So who is the real villain here? Who’s to say

troubling if true

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

You are also forgetting that according to news, Wagner troops were within walking distance of nuclear weapons, but ultimately did not choose to pursue taking over that base.

That would have been an ultimate safety card, as there would have been no way of knowing if they have the possibility to use them in any way or if MoD managed to disable them in time. Unless MoD comes forward and says that "nothing in that base actually works so LOL".

the doll's ashes swirl around and try to act spooky but a freak indoor rainstorm turns it into a different genre entirely, something something tears in the rain.

Runa posted:

I will say, it's entirely probable that many equally stupid and baffling things have happened in the past and were simply left unrecorded into any histories preserved into the modern day.

i'm gonna be honest right now i'm wondering if this is how ieyasu tokugawa felt after the honnoji temple incident and akechi mitsuhide allegedly showed up "with a bamboo spear in his chest, but nobody is telling us how it got there" in some random farmer's rice paddy

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1673427685714829313?s=20

Shoigu confirmed alive though he's no longer wearing a uniform, he's in a suit

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 26, 2023

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

i know it might be confusing to goons, but this is how REAL men solve their problems. as loudly and stupidly as possible, to the bewilderment of all onlookers :clint:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Made it to the gates of Moscow then plum gave out

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Fontaine posted:

i know it might be confusing to goons, but this is how REAL men solve their problems. as loudly and stupidly as possible, to the bewilderment of all onlookers :clint:

The important part is that it's masculine and vulgar

Here's Koffman's thread without the birdsite poo poo: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1672999622032195584.html

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1673426878583959554?s=20

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1542269393945903105?s=20

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Tuna-Fish posted:

He probably expected a lot more defections and support from the proper military.

The one option that tracks with everything that happened is that he had deals in place to bribe a lot more than his column of 8k Wagnerites, and then when he set out on his glory ride everyone else just failed to show up.

Lol, if this turns out to be another reprise of 'Putin just bribed everyone to surrender when they crossed the border!'

Honestly, people you've bribed to commit High Treason are so unreliable. :colbert:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

The important part is that it's masculine and vulgar

Here's Koffman's thread without the birdsite poo poo: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1672999622032195584.html

There's always nitter as an alternative front-end to twitter: https://nitter.it/KofmanMichael/status/1672999622032195584#m

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Is being sent to Belarus a punishment or a reward?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

BoldFace posted:

compared to what?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BoldFace posted:

yes

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

To break this wait for actual news, YLE reports that Russian government is now harassing Finnish consulate in St. Petersburg by making their mobile phones not work:
https://yle.fi/a/74-20038416

...Or that they are suffering from the Russian government on putting behind-the-scenes restrictions and lowering the power of the mobile connect points. This happened last week and affected outgoing calls, but ended before the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
comedy option, prigozhin was sent to actually coup lukashenka and unleash the mighty belarussian legions