Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Soul Glo posted:

15w charger is a 15w charger, right?

Nope. Samsung uses proprietary signaling as does Apple and some Pixel devices.

There's BPP (Baseline Power Profile), EPP (Extended Power Profile), and PPDE (Proprietary Power Delivery Extension).

A charger needs to support Samsung's flavor of PPDE to do 15w.

Any Qi charger will do 5w, but beyond 5w depends on the profile the phone and charger support and if they agree.

BPP will go up to 10w, but a phone can choose to only support above 5w on EPP or PPDE.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Nope. Samsung uses proprietary signaling as does Apple and some Pixel devices.

There's BPP (Baseline Power Profile), EPP (Extended Power Profile), and PPDE (Proprietary Power Delivery Extension).

A charger needs to support Samsung's flavor of PPDE to do 15w.

Any Qi charger will do 5w, but beyond 5w depends on the profile the phone and charger support and if they agree.

BPP will go up to 10w, but a phone can choose to only support above 5w on EPP or PPDE.

Absolutely beyond parody.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ankers non-magsafe wireless chargers are all ancient designs that still use micro-USB so i would look elsewhere

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Quick question. What's the best SMB/SAMBA client for android? I'll even pay a couple dollars!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Speed software explorer keeps working brilliantly for that for me over the years.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Solid Explorer has been, well, solid for me for several years.

hooah fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 25, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hooah posted:

Solid Explorer had been,, solid for me for several years.

This

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Thanks, looks good. The actual problem was not flipping one last switch to actually enable SMB on my server device, but the app seems nice for the job in any case.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

LRADIKAL posted:

Quick question. What's the best SMB/SAMBA client for android? I'll even pay a couple dollars!

Total Commander

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
On samsung devices also the built in my files one.

But if access to video is the goal the nova player or kodi

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Google just charged my card…

Pixel Fold en route soon, it seems.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, mine was charged this morning.

Google store remains a poo poo show though. For weeks it's been "Arrival 28th to 29th" then like a day ago I got a notice that my order has been delayed..... to June 28th to 29th.

Pixel Tablet did this same dance a week ago.

I can only guess that for preorders, it's determined to be "Delayed" if it's not projected to arrive in the release date but it didn't change to "Delayed" until it actually processes for shipment.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Another mod suggested I ask in this thread too, so here goes. I have a close family member that passed thursday night, and I'm trying to take care of a number of things related to her passing while ya know, riding just on this side of emotional breakdown. I need to get into her phone to get some phone numbers so I can let people know she passed along with a number of pther things. She switched from the pin code that I've known for over a decade to the Android 9 point pattern screen lock and despite her showing me 3 months ago, I've forgotten it. I need some way past the pattern lock if possible.

Original thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4035090&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

Another mod suggested I ask in this thread too, so here goes. I have a close family member that passed thursday night, and I'm trying to take care of a number of things related to her passing while ya know, riding just on this side of emotional breakdown. I need to get into her phone to get some phone numbers so I can let people know she passed along with a number of pther things. She switched from the pin code that I've known for over a decade to the Android 9 point pattern screen lock and despite her showing me 3 months ago, I've forgotten it. I need some way past the pattern lock if possible.

Original thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4035090&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Try really hard to see wear patterns in the glass??

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

If you know the password of or have a computer that is logged in to her google account, the contacts should be accessible through contacts.google.com, presumably.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Or if they're not sync'd to a Google account they might have just been saved directly to the sim, in which case popping the sim in another phone would give you access to them as long as the sim card isn't pin protected

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

https://arstechnica.com/google/2023/06/rip-to-my-pixel-fold-dead-after-four-days

I guess there was a reason Samsung and others made foldables the way they dd lol!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

https://arstechnica.com/google/2023/06/rip-to-my-pixel-fold-dead-after-four-days

I guess there was a reason Samsung and others made foldables the way they dd lol!

Eh, no, not really.

First, Samsung is the only one that's leaving a gap these days. The gap is only on one end too so screens still do die from them being closed on debris.

Also, the 5th generation of both these devices is moving to a teardrop shaped hinge to fold flat.

I mean, the screens don't actually touch, there's a pretty substantial lip that's doubled when folded over. So this is 100% on the user there.

Ron needs to retire from reviewing phones, he hates everything handheld these days and manages to find problems that no one else has ever seen.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I don't know man, these reviews and damage have me shooketh. Have a Fold 4 and...might ride this one out until next year.

Then again I guess I can just return it if I don't like it. We'll see how this goes.

Edit: welp it shipped just now. I'm scared y'all. :shepface:

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 26, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, the other reviews have all been positive that I've seen.

If you're worried, return it.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I got to play with the Pixel Fold yesterday at a Google event. I really want to like it, and it seems pretty great at what it is... but. For me, it's too small when folded and it's a tablet with a crease in the middle when opened. If it weren't quite so much I'd consider it, but it would literally cost less to get both a 7 pro and a tablet.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

We'll see how many other stories like this pop up, but this is not a surprise and is exactly why so many people have warned that buying a first generation Google foldable is a veeeery risky (and expensive) gamble.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, jamming debris into a soft inner display isn't really 1st gen woes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How good is the Google version of applecare?

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Bottom Liner posted:

lmao

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Bottom Liner posted:

they partner with ubreakifix, so dependent on how close one of those are to you.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I mean, jamming debris into a soft inner display isn't really 1st gen woes.

A tiny speck like the one in the photo isn't "jamming debris" though, that's a daily reality of carrying around a device. If the screen can't handle barely perceptible specks then it's a design or materials problem. The article says the device was barely used and there was no obvious cause. You're reaching.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rap Game Goku posted:

they partner with ubreakifix, so dependent on how close one of those are to you.

"Preferred Care through the Google Store, Assurant1 handles repair or replacement. Assurant is the Google Store partner who provides coverage for your item after Google’s warranty expires for mechanical or electrical breakdown claims"

Is Assurant and ubreakifix the same or what? Was just bringing it up because I wondered if that would be wise for Fold beta testers.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

They did a replacement screen for me under warranty at one of their walk-in stores and it went pretty smooth, but I have no idea how it works if you don't have a store nearby.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FistEnergy posted:

A tiny speck like the one in the photo isn't "jamming debris" though, that's a daily reality of carrying around a device. If the screen can't handle barely perceptible specks then it's a design or materials problem. The article says the device was barely used and there was no obvious cause. You're reaching.

Just saying you don't actually know what was in there and any foldable phone screen is going to suffer damage, possibility catastrophic, if there is sharp debris caught between the sides. Sometimes it doesn't hurt the OLED and just puts dimples in the screen protector, sometimes it does exactly what you see there.

It's pretty much the same as how sometimes you can drop a phone and it will kill the screen and sometimes it shrugs it off.

Ron has, to put it lightly, been a loving abysmal phone reviewer for a few years now and I don't really trust his rigor around how he actually used it or how he evaluated what caused the damage. He loving hates phones, nearly universally at this point, and I have no idea why he gets those assignments anymore.

I remember when he reviewed the OnePlus Pad. The byline is verbatim "I did not know they still made displays this bad."

I have the device, I have NO loving CLUE what he's talking about. It's literally the one of the best LCDs I've seen in the segment and beats the ever loving poo poo out of my iPad Mini 6 display. Every other review praises the display, but not good old Ron. He said it made him "physically uncomfortable" without actually even trying to capture his extreme reaction in actual metrics because it's not like we don't have objective means to measure displays.

He's jaded and hates his job it feels like, it comes through on his reviews.

I also find it funny he complained about the raised bezel on the Oppo Find N considering what happened here. Can't win I guess.

As near as I can tell, Are hasn't even reviewed any of the Z Flip/Fold devices since the original (And I'll point out the Z Flip article title says that he thinks he hates Flip phones.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 27, 2023

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I don't have a great understanding of the intricacies of 2-factor authentication but if you use it make sure you have the backup codes. My Pixel 4 straight died this morning after a "device corrupt" message. I tried to reactivate my old Pixel 3 and it wanted to send me a text message for my 2FA but obviously my phone was dead.

Thankfully a few months back I had downloaded my Google account 2FA backup codes, and so I was able to successfully authenticate my device.

This may be old hat you goons but hopefully it helps someone.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Welp it's been about two years on this cheapo Moto G Power and it's probably time for a new phone -- my wife informs me that I will be getting a new phone for my birthday, and I can either suggest a model or get what she picks for me, so is the Pixel still the way to go for an acceptable Android experience?

Hughmoris posted:

I don't have a great understanding of the intricacies of 2-factor authentication but if you use it make sure you have the backup codes. My Pixel 4 straight died this morning after a "device corrupt" message. I tried to reactivate my old Pixel 3 and it wanted to send me a text message for my 2FA but obviously my phone was dead.

Thankfully a few months back I had downloaded my Google account 2FA backup codes, and so I was able to successfully authenticate my device.

This may be old hat you goons but hopefully it helps someone.

I'm a weird bastard who spends a lot of time janitoring so this may be uninteresting to most people, but I use syncthing to sync a keepass database across my desktop, laptop, and phone. KeePassXC (Linux) and KeePassDX (Android) handle TOTP fine, so I can do 2-factor from any device and if my phone shits out, nothing is lost. In fact I set this whole thing up specifically because I was afraid of losing my phone and not being able to find my backup codes (also managing paper backup codes for a dozen accounts is a hassle)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

Welp it's been about two years on this cheapo Moto G Power and it's probably time for a new phone -- my wife informs me that I will be getting a new phone for my birthday, and I can either suggest a model or get what she picks for me, so is the Pixel still the way to go for an acceptable Android experience?

It depends on how you define your terms, but for me the answer would definitely be yes. Samsung is the other big choice, but I personally have multiple issues with them and don't consider their phones an option. I like my Galaxy Watch 5 a lot, but I don't want one of their phones.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It depends on how you define your terms, but for me the answer would definitely be yes. Samsung is the other big choice, but I personally have multiple issues with them and don't consider their phones an option. I like my Galaxy Watch 5 a lot, but I don't want one of their phones.

Is the 7a ok? I prefer a smaller phone, given the option.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

It should be. The 6a I got my dad is a nice little phone that I was tempted to keep and give him my 6 instead. AFAIK the 7a is pretty similar.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

The S23 is the best "small" phone around. Having said that, it retails for considerably more and it doesn't seem to be a particularly great time for Android phone ~deals~ in the US (did the oversupply get cleared out or something?).

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Regular Samsung S23 is a small (even smaller than a 7a) premium device. Is it a better phone than a 7a, in some areas yeah. Don't know if it's a few hundred dollars better unless you're really picky about display quality and SOC performance.

Either will be lightyears better than a Moto G.

E: I think the S23 is 100 dollars off on Amazon right now. Still expensive tho.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In non-folding news, joy of joys the latest OnePlus update restored the ability to dismiss notifications with one swipe from either direction!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

In non-folding news, joy of joys the latest OnePlus update restored the ability to dismiss notifications with one swipe from either direction!

That and the fact they're currently on the most recent security patch (on the 11 anyways) makes me wonder if OnePlus is...trying... to be better?

I say this and now the thing won't be updated until September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Better than my S23 Ultra still being on May.

One of the other prior OxygenOS updates fixed my home control issues so I'm actually pretty happy with the OnePlus 11 at this point other then lacking of Pixel exclusive features.