Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

I like the castle a lot and am definitely gonna get it, but I wish they did more with the rockwall. Just a little texture on it or something instead of just the flat angled brick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I got the McLaren two pack from my brother to help me stay focused on something while I recover from my latest health setback. 586 pieces for $35 is a pretty good deal. Speed Champions is low key one of my favorite themes now and I’m not even a car person, the builds are just so much fun.

Also eyeing the big 90 years of Lego pack with all the microbuilds because it also comes with a bunch of random bricks in fun colors. I want to try my hand at some simple and goofy MOCs like other people in the thread have done.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
The McLarens are very cool and fun, I'm glad I got them. They were too intricate for my kid, which surprised me- he didn't enjoy the really specific build progress that takes a while to make sense.

And yeah, the price is great. Compare it with the upcoming Ahsoka ship - it should have 4 minifigs which is great, but is 599 pieces for $70. I laugh at that while deep down I know the second they do a Thrawn TIE Defender I'm going to be pounding down the door to relive my mid 90s fantasy

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
yeah the speed champions just keep getting better. excited for the next set of releases

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I bought one of the Lego Missions sets for $15 on clearance for my daughter because she gets easily bored with just instructions. Got to say its a great idea for small kids. She enjoyed the fact she gets to customize and play with the sets while building. I don't know what will happen to the set when we are done and would definitely not pay full price but I like the idea so far.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
The speed champions line has been killing it the last few years. I did the pagani a few weeks ago, and building the rear made me say ‘holy poo poo’ a couple of times. They are almost as good as carb’s cars. I’ve been putting off the rest of this year’s SC sets because I don’t have room but I’m thinking I need to break down a few things so I can build the McLaren pack.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What’s weird is that Lego has both this years and last years Speed Champions on retail shelves at the same time and they raised the price this year $5.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Can anyone share the link to the sets being retired this year? Another adult friend of mine has caught the bug

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Flyinglemur posted:

Can anyone share the link to the sets being retired this year? Another adult friend of mine has caught the bug

https://www.brickfanatics.com/every-lego-set-retiring-in-2023-june-update

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Thanks!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Better get the Tallneck if you don't have it yet, even if you're not a Horizon fan.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Taeke posted:

Better get the Tallneck if you don't have it yet, even if you're not a Horizon fan.

Seconding

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Can confirm. It's such a gorgeous display peace.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

2882 pieces
$699

I know technic sets usually don’t follow the same price-to-piece ratio as normal sets but wow

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Power functions?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah it does

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
At that loving size I would hope it could actually do useful work

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You can use it to pick up small LEGO boxes full of LEGO and move them a couple feet.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

RatHat posted:

2882 pieces
$699

Lol

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Carrot Top looks appropriately perplexed.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i built the delorean and it was a fun build but some of the technic parts are annoying as poo poo.

has anyone else had bad quality control in their sets lately? i swear every set i open has at least 1 wrong piece or a missing piece these days

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Sunk Dunk posted:

i built the delorean and it was a fun build but some of the technic parts are annoying as poo poo.

has anyone else had bad quality control in their sets lately? i swear every set i open has at least 1 wrong piece or a missing piece these days

For me the biggest QC issue I've noticed is quality of pieces themselves. Bricks don't fit at neatly together as they used to and I keep finding really obvious sprue marks on bricks. I'm having to build orientated to hide them, and a couple of times I've had to get my hobby knife and shave them off.

Noticed it more in regular sets than the 18+ ones.

It's frustrating because Lego has gone up in price massively but hasn't improved at all in years. Stickers, shoddy coverage on prints (especially minifigure printing), colour consistency
are all still issues and now as well the bricks themselves feel and look cheaper.

I used to buy every set I wanted and now I'm being selective and I've basically abandoned the idea of modding most sets because the passion just isn't there for me anymore.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

loving Sandra leaving her lego kits in the office kitchen again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My most recent complaint is windshields having scratches out of the box. They're mixing them in with the parts bags now and they come out looking like they got play wear.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

xzzy posted:

My most recent complaint is windshields having scratches out of the box. They're mixing them in with the parts bags now and they come out looking like they got play wear.

:same:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But rubber bands? They get their very own cardboard box. :v:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I built the Ecto-1 recently and all the window pieces were in an unsealed bag (not the same type of bag as the pieces) while the two rubber bands for the engine were in a special taped cardboard box.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

xzzy posted:

My buzz lightyear canopy had a big scratch in it. :/

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Flyinglemur posted:

Just placed my first order with YWOBB. Hoping it will get here by my birthday in August and that I actually get what I ordered. Will be my first non-Lego kit. Fingers crossed

And it got here today! I haven't gone through the box entirely but it looks like there's a whole lot of pieces in here

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

RatHat posted:

2882 pieces
$699

I know technic sets usually don’t follow the same price-to-piece ratio as normal sets but wow

Ugh, I love me some cranes but I hate phone apps.

Sent from Awful.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
what an odd looking model (crane and guy)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess dunking on lego's yuppie product shots is a new thread group activity? :v:

(Kid looking like he put his wig on backwards)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

xzzy posted:

I guess dunking on lego's yuppie product shots is a new thread group activity? :v:

(Kid looking like he put his wig on backwards)

They're called bangs, old man

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I demand all Lego product photography feature someone dressed as Zack the Lego Maniac.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
All of y'all with canopy and windscreen scratches, have you tried polishing them out? I know toothpaste gets recommended as a cheap option that everyone has on hand, but there's a product called Polywatch that's specifically made for polishing scratches out of clear plastic (typically acrylic watch crystals, hence the name). I've never used it on Lego cause I only thought about this now, but it does work well at its intended purpose.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My only real part complaint is the flat tile 6x6 which just has obvious mold marks and Lego insists on using it in places where it is very obvious and it detracts from the model.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

smackfu posted:

My only real part complaint is the flat tile 6x6 which just has obvious mold marks and Lego insists on using it in places where it is very obvious and it detracts from the model.

Yeah. And it always looks like a different color. flat tile is redundant lol

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah. And it always looks like a different color. flat tile is redundant lol

Well, if you think of "flat" as referring to the lack of gloss, it's a perfect description of both the element and problem with it.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 28, 2023

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I got a shipping notice from Wicked Brick and for a moment I thought I won their anniversary contest. Then I scrolled down and saw it was my May the 4th order i completely forgot about. Two freebies included so that was a nice surprise too, probably why I placed the order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Huh... here's some weird and kind of disappointing leaks. It looks like mid July is going to be a triple dip GWP rehash with the Blacktron Cruiser and Bionicle sets both being available from the 11th to the 15th, both having the same price threshold of $220... which seems pretty weird. The Fun & Funky VIP pack seems to be coming back too at a $50 threshold. There's also going to be 2x VIP points on Harry Potter, City, Friends, and Technic.

The Flowerpot is also coming back but only for Europe, Middle East, and Africa.

And from the 21st to of July until August 6th there will be a new Creativity 12-in-1 GWP. The next Houses of the World mini-modular is a Scandinavian style house and should be available sometime in August.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 28, 2023