Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
With the Saudi stuff I feel like we're just at the beginning of another cycle of a league getting big money injections and trying to raise its profile by signing big names. It happened with MLS, it happened with China, it happened with the smaller Gulf states like Qatar on a smaller scale, I even remember it happening with the Russian league when it was flush with oil cash. Every time what's happened is some older players go to pick up big paychecks at the end of their career, a few younger players go there to waste some years of their career from some combination of sketchy agent shenanigans, wanting the big payouts, or falling for the hype that this is the league of the future, and after a few years it all dies down again when everybody remembers that the best players want to be playing for prestige clubs in the Champions League instead of competing for nothing in a Mickey Mouse league, and eventually the people injecting all the money get impatient, stop throwing their money in a big hole, and discover that actually the league isn't sustainable or popular without huge ongoing cash injections. Maybe this is the time that finally breaks the trend and Saudi Arabia becomes the new heart of world football, but I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Is there any chance the Saudis bribe their way into being allowed into UEFA/Champions League?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Average Lettuce posted:

Is there any chance the Saudis bribe their way into being allowed into UEFA/Champions League?

Can they out-bribe the Israelis?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Paperhouse posted:

It's literally 4 hours away in a car ffs. Imagine not going to the best club in the world and winning everything because you're a bit too far away from your mam. Buy them a house in Manchester, buy them one halfway between Manchester and London as well, why not
Imagine wanting to play for City.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
hosed up thing to imagine

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Who doesn’t want to be the next Kalvin Phillips?

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Big shoes to fill for sure

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
That's treble winner Kalvin Phillips to you

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Big shorts to fill for sure

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

city bid rejected already apparently lol

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

UnderFreddy posted:

city bid rejected already apparently lol

Was a bit of a silly bid when we already had 75+15 turned down, and are reportedly returning with a 3rd bid.

That said, I think City have probably turned his head, and have it in the bag. They would never submit a bid on a player who is going to pick Arsenal over them. That would be beyond even Boehly's tolerance for humiliation.

Wouldn't be surprised to see that we have pulled out of the race for Rice, rather than go in another bid, and are turning our attention to Caicedo.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Average Lettuce posted:

My guess is they ensure plenty of spots for the AFC in this new FIFA Club World Cup.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

do foreign players live in a gated community outside Riyadh where they can have western lives and their wives aren’t considered chattel or is it very :d2a:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

vyelkin posted:

With the Saudi stuff I feel like we're just at the beginning of another cycle of a league getting big money injections and trying to raise its profile by signing big names. It happened with MLS, it happened with China, it happened with the smaller Gulf states like Qatar on a smaller scale, I even remember it happening with the Russian league when it was flush with oil cash. Every time what's happened is some older players go to pick up big paychecks at the end of their career, a few younger players go there to waste some years of their career from some combination of sketchy agent shenanigans, wanting the big payouts, or falling for the hype that this is the league of the future, and after a few years it all dies down again when everybody remembers that the best players want to be playing for prestige clubs in the Champions League instead of competing for nothing in a Mickey Mouse league, and eventually the people injecting all the money get impatient, stop throwing their money in a big hole, and discover that actually the league isn't sustainable or popular without huge ongoing cash injections. Maybe this is the time that finally breaks the trend and Saudi Arabia becomes the new heart of world football, but I doubt it.

The Saudis seem to have more money than the past groups of oligarchs who have dumped money into football. They also seem to think that sportswashing is actually something that confers a benefit on them, so they may actually have the determination to Lee going with this. I just don’t see how a bunch of stars playing in the desert for teams with no known history outside of Saudi Arabia will ever be interesting viewing. Seems like their money would be better spent hosting events and sponsoring/buying teams.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

emjayo posted:

do foreign players live in a gated community outside Riyadh where they can have western lives and their wives aren’t considered chattel or is it very :d2a:

there's no loving way they're going to be subject to those insane rear end laws lol be fr

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

tbp posted:

there's no loving way they're going to be subject to those insane rear end laws lol be fr

i bet they live in a house, a very big house, in the kingdom

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Perhaps they and their WAGs could all live in one big house and it could be televised and viewers could vote to boot out individuals after every match day

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I would like to see a bunch of English footballers having to live in a country where it's a production to buy alcohol, even for rich expats, but I'm sure the league owners will try to keep the players in their own little world and have something set up.

https://gulfbusiness.com/saudi-tourism-official-clarifies-countrys-stand-on-alcohol-consumption/

And most of the players going over to Saudi Arabia are older and probably past the partying stage, so whatever inconveniences there are will probably get shrugged off and they'll just run their contracts down and retire.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can't wait for different clubs based at different ends of the Neom building to be described as a derby by some retired Sky commentator

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I think the Saudis probably care about the following:

-winning Asian continental cups
-dick waving among local rivals/families and/or the wider Arab world
-spectacle for the people in Saudi Arabia

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

The Saudis seem to have more money than the past groups of oligarchs who have dumped money into football. They also seem to think that sportswashing is actually something that confers a benefit on them, so they may actually have the determination to Lee going with this. I just don’t see how a bunch of stars playing in the desert for teams with no known history outside of Saudi Arabia will ever be interesting viewing. Seems like their money would be better spent hosting events and sponsoring/buying teams.

They definitely have more money and more motivation when it comes to sportswashing, that's why they're making moves in so many areas at once like taking over golf and trying to get the World Cup and so on. That could be different. But I don't think shoveling billions of dollars into the Saudi league is going to accomplish what they think it will, and after a few years they'll realize that and it will die like the rest of the oligarch money projects outside big leagues have in the past. Anzhi Makhachkala didn't stop because the owner ran out of money, it stopped because they didn't win the champions league within two years and he got bored and decided to stop lighting his money on fire. The fact that the Saudis have even more money than that guy doesn't mean they won't come to the same conclusion when signing 38-year-old Ballon d'Or winners on nine-figure contracts doesn't make the Saudi Pro League more popular than the Premier League overnight.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

The fact that the Saudis have even more money than that guy doesn't mean they won't come to the same conclusion when signing 38-year-old Ballon d'Or winners on nine-figure contracts doesn't make the Saudi Pro League more popular than the Premier League overnight.

I haven't even seen a Saudi League highlight outside of things posted here to lol at Ronald. I don't think the world sees this as anything more than idle curiosity and oogling the money being bandied about. In five years we'll be probably be going "whatever happened to Ruben Neves" much like we have every once in a while with Oscar.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

I haven't even seen a Saudi League highlight outside of things posted here to lol at Ronald. I don't think the world sees this as anything more than idle curiosity and oogling the money being bandied about. In five years we'll be probably be going "whatever happened to Ruben Neves" much like we have every once in a while with Oscar.

Yeah the real legacy will be people who have a favourite player that ended up in Saudi Arabia grumbling about it forever, the way I'm still annoyed that Hulk wasted his prime footballing years in Russia and China.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1673677747896418307?s=19

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
sue them for breach of contract David

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Not much of a contract if you can sign it and the other party goes 'lol just kidding'

Time to do all the winston bogarde moves

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
finally some good news

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Not much of a contract if you can sign it and the other party goes 'lol just kidding'

Time to do all the winston bogarde moves

He can live up the next 3 days until his contract expires however he'd like.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Double postin'

The rumor is that Inter's representatives are in Manchester to finalize Onana's move to United. Played for ten Hag at Ajax, loves a diet pill, seems cool and good.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

elbkaida posted:

-dick waving among local rivals/families and/or the wider Arab world

this is haram

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
FM Wonderkid from 2012 Mateo Kovacic to Manchester City is a Done Deal

https://twitter.com/ManCity/status/1673738941088907275

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Can’t wait to see Pep coach him into a world beater out of loving nowhere

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Out of nowhere is quite a stretch for a guy who has won the Champions League four (4) times.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I just don't get that guy. What does he do?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

notaspy posted:

I just don't get that guy. What does he do?

He kicks footballs for big teams. And Chelsea.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Vegetable posted:

Can’t wait to see Pep coach him into a world beater out of loving nowhere

he's already good and will probably thrive outside of the chelsea shitshow

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He’s proof that you can be middling at your job and still be wildly successful

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vegetable posted:

He’s proof that you can be middling at your job and still be wildly successful