Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

Jill is definitely a little muted as a character. Her arc is fine. Good even. I’m not sure what it is. Possibly just the VA not managing the 11/10 performance Cid and Clive are makes her seem a little bland.

Would you say her performance is a little chilly? Perhaps a bit cold? Maybe that she comes off as an Ice Queen? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Are there any notable spots for grinding AP in mid-game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

Are there any notable spots for grinding AP in mid-game?

Just do sidequests. Some of the renown rewards are huge chunks of AP

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Renown ranks can also give a huge amounts of AP.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

ImpAtom posted:

Just do sidequests. Some of the renown rewards are huge chunks of AP

So just keep my path up, nice to know. Thanks.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I am surprised (mc4)
Nobody mentioned Bahamut is finally equal ri Donald Duck.

I mean he's not. For one, Donald actually got his spell off.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
There are so many shithead NPCs that I literally wish Clive had a portable tattoo machine, just brand all these idiot fuckers and let them reap their own rewards

Game succeeds in message, great job everybody

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

It's a combination of a muted VA performance and her character just being treated weirdly. By which I specifically mean that there is an endless list of cutscenes where things are happening that she should be reacting to, and other characters should react to her as well, but they don't. The most glaring example of this is (spoilers for between getting the 3rd and 4th eikon) When you meet Lord Byron (who rules btw, favorite character so far), he has 0 reaction towards Jill and she to him really and that was extremely perplexing. Surely, as Jill was a ward of the Rosaliths, they would have met and spent time together. Given Byron's character there's no way he wouldn't have doted on this surrogate niece. And yet, nothing. This kind of thing happens a lot where Jill is just in the background not doing or saying anything about events that are directly relevant to her and happening right then and there.

Also don't even get me started on how mad I was around this time when I opened that character web thing at Vivians only to see that Jill and Clive were "travelling companions."

I wonder if they had originally intended for Clive to be travelling alone more often, and then changed things up when people were disappointed about not having a party.

I got a note at some point that she had written with her reaction to a side quest, that made it seem like she wasn't present for what happened, even though she totally was.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just met his Mid character and I love her. Just a simple yes or no, does she ever come with you on adventures

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I just met his Mid character and I love her. Just a simple yes or no, does she ever come with you on adventures

Yesish

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Jetrauben posted:

I will say (second mothercrystal spoilers) Jill neither being playable during the Iron Kingdoms digression or getting the starring moment to actually destroy the Mothercrystal and instead collapsing due to exhaustion after having spent all her energies protecting you... is certainly a CHOICE, and not one I'm a fan of. When Joshua gets a little playable segment as a kid, you'd think they could have given Jill her own playable mini-sequence for her to resolve her own issues.

Yes, I know her nemesis ultimately is just kind of a rando dude who can't even use magic and would make a bad boss, but it felt weirdly half-baked.

And as I said, I don't know why - given that she can be such a constant presence - they didn't include mechanics to direct her attacks and sync up with them like they did with Torgal. She actually does a fair bit of damage per strike or spell, you just can't plan around it or integrate it into your battle plans in any way. Not that you need to, per se, given how much of a joke the average mooks are.

I dunno, one of the more challenging opponents in the game for my money is just one of those big empire dudes with a cannon. One of the harder hunts was 3 Ironblood axes at once. The Ironbloods had this weird heavy presence in the early game where they were these rough burly bastards dive tackling guys off their birds and beating to death barehanded, they were the original threat to Roseria and in the modern day hold dozens of women as prisoners of war, they have designs on brutal conquest on the entire continent, the poo poo they did to Jill is most of her character. You sneak through the back half of the fire dungeon and fight a hallways worth of them and then that's basically it. They are done then, Jill is out of cool.

They... could done a bit more, is all. I think.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

postmodifier posted:

There are so many shithead NPCs that I literally wish Clive had a portable tattoo machine, just brand all these idiot fuckers and let them reap their own rewards

Game succeeds in message, great job everybody

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jetrauben posted:

I recall a fair bit of irritation about how bro-y the game presented itself as. Of course, it's also SoP, which is just a wild and weird game in general, so I expect at least some of it is literally just having to play Jack.

EDIT: anyways, basically, yeah, I think a good chunk of the annoyance around XV, XVI and representation re: gender I've seen can be summed up by opinions like this:
https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1673340484993835022?s=20

I'm glad we've all come around on Lightning.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Does the Empires Bearer Suicide Squads ever even come up again at any point past the intro?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

gently caress lightning, give me a Beefa MC

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The part where Clive infiltrates the Empire and gets a job driving a forklift and you have to do a whole eight hour shift in real-time really sucked!!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Quick question about Eikon weapons. I have the materials I need to craft the earth one, but it isn't showing up at all. When I look it up online, it says I'm past the point in the story I need to be and I have the earth crystal. This also happened with the fire one, where it only appeared after I had the stuff to make the lightning weapon. Is this a glitch or am I just missing something?

edit: nevermind, it shows up now.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 26, 2023

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Caidin posted:

I dunno, one of the more challenging opponents in the game for my money is just one of those big empire dudes with a cannon. One of the harder hunts was 3 Ironblood axes at once. The Ironbloods had this weird heavy presence in the early game where they were these rough burly bastards dive tackling guys off their birds and beating to death barehanded, they were the original threat to Roseria and in the modern day hold dozens of women as prisoners of war, they have designs on brutal conquest on the entire continent, the poo poo they did to Jill is most of her character. You sneak through the back half of the fire dungeon and fight a hallways worth of them and then that's basically it. They are done then, Jill is out of cool.

They... could done a bit more, is all. I think.

Yeah I'd agree with all of that, to be honest, the Ironblood are bizarrely token. I'd honestly much rather have less tromping around Sanbreque and Rosaria and more interaction with them - they're strangely underdeveloped for such a presence, and feel mostly like something invoked to give Jill trauma.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Heh. I mean I'm still kinda eh on Lightning, but mostly just disappointed. But that belongs back in the other thread.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

SerSpook posted:

Quick question about Eikon weapons. I have the materials I need to craft the earth one, but it isn't showing up at all. When I look it up online, it says I'm past the point in the story I need to be and I have the earth crystal. This also happened with the fire one, where it only appeared after I had the stuff to make the lightning weapon. Is this a glitch or am I just missing something?

You Upgrade them from the previous weapon. I think. Look at the "upgrade" menu instead of the "craft" menu.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

(more whole game ruminating) I guess I feel like ultimately they sacrificed quite a lot of other more interesting directions in order to do the obligatory final fantasy killing god climax.

Just feels like their hearts weren't really in it, the earlier game of thrones esque stuff had more passion yet feels incomplete because it's all effectively dropped once odin and ultima hijack the story

Caidin posted:

Does the Empires Bearer Suicide Squads ever even come up again at any point past the intro?

Maybe it gets mentioned once or twice? But I think the honest answer is no

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

You Upgrade them from the previous weapon. I think. Look at the "upgrade" menu instead of the "craft" menu.

No, it was in the crafting menu, not upgrading, though you aren't wrong about the rest of it. It just kind of showed up now. I went very slightly further in the main story, so either the little bit of information I found online was wrong, or it's just a very weird glitch. Based on what I think triggered it, I think the information I'd found was wrong.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah sometimes blackthorne just takes a bit longer than you'd think to update his crafting menu

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It's because he's a SNES character

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just fought three guys dressed all in black whose most dangerous attack is them all rushing at you weapons extended....

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Question regarding the third Eikon you get.

Am I supposed to be able to equip Ifrit? I purchased Ignition and Wykes, however, when I navigate to Gear and Eikons Ifrit isn’t listed.

Feeling like I’m either missing something obvious, or I’m supposed to master the skills and equip them into either Garuda or Phoenix.

Edit: Nevermind as soon as I posted this I clicked into Phoenix and saw the skills were listed there…

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

JackDarko posted:

Question regarding the third Eikon you get.

Am I supposed to be able to equip Ifrit? I purchased Ignition and Wykes, however, when I navigate to Gear and Eikons Ifrit isn’t listed.

Feeling like I’m either missing something obvious, or I’m supposed to master the skills and equip them into either Garuda or Phoenix.

Ifrit shares an Eikon slot with Phoenix and you can equip its abilities onto Phoenix freely without having to master them first. Ifrit also does not have its own Eikonic Feat, so you can really just consider it bonus Phoenix abilities.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I’m in Dalimil and the PS5 dashboard claims I’m 83% done. Is this about to get EXTREMELY rushed or does sidequesting inflate that value :shepface:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Captain Oblivious posted:

I’m in Dalimil and the PS5 dashboard claims I’m 83% done. Is this about to get EXTREMELY rushed or does sidequesting inflate that value :shepface:

I am past that and my dashboard says 59% & I’ve also been doing every side quest, so maybe it’s making it up

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The dashboard operates on vibes

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm p sure that's for individual quests

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Yeah I'm a little past that and it says 47% lol.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I am past that and my dashboard says 59% & I’ve also been doing every side quest, so maybe it’s making it up

:psyduck:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I'm p sure that's for individual quests

Yeah, I think it's how far you are into a specific quest (or other segment of the game). I've seen other games do it like that, even though it's kinda weird.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

54% and about the same point, I have no idea how it's tracking this lmao

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m just before that and I’m at 65% lmao

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Arist posted:

54% and about the same point, I have no idea how it's tracking this lmao

My only guess is that it is tracking your current main quest/segment? I’m pre-Oriflamme and was just told by the Dame to meet Cid/Jill at an abandoned chapel and it’s saying 83% for me.

Basically - percentages are meaningless.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it's completion of your current 'task' ie quest

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Are we all looking at the same stat on the home screen? Because there's one next to the quest name that's progression through whatever quest you're on, and there's another in the bottom right corner that's total progression through the game.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I've never played a FF game before. Would this be a good one to start with? I see mixed things about this.

I dislike turn-based combat, which has me interested in FF16! And I guess it's a standalone story?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Yeah there’s 2 % meters, one that shows your current quest progression and one that shows your main story progression and current playtime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

smoobles posted:

I've never played a FF game before. Would this be a good one to start with? I see mixed things about this.

I dislike turn-based combat, which has me interested in FF16! And I guess it's a standalone story?

Every numbered mainline Final Fantasy is a standalone story so yeah this one's completely standalone.

Do you like Devil May Cry-style combat (though simplified compared to actual DMC) and over-the-top spectacle in your main story? How do you feel about accents from across the UK? If you like the above, you'll have a good time.