Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

[cardio fitness level number not going up voice] I have Long Covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

i can barely not roll my ankle hiking I don't understand the lunatics running on the trails

run until you get hurt. its likely you wont get hurt rhe first time running so you'll think you're sweet

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

post hole digger posted:

[cardio fitness level number not going up voice] I have Long Covid.

jokes aside

i did get covid like a year and a half ago and i don't think i've fully recovered cardiovascularly until VERY recently (confirmed by doctors visits)

like i'd get winded climbing the stairs, and i had been healthy before that

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

did my first 5x5 workout today. used the app from stronglifts.com to recommend starting weights and chose the beginner level since it’s been a while.

started at 110 lb squats and it wasn’t too bad at all but def broke a sweat

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 26, 2023

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Share Bear posted:

first day of summer binches who is still out there

who wants to get started

I have failed utterly at the gym

but thats because ive been focusing on running (its terrible dont) and am working toward a half marathon. did 6 miles trail run yesterday in the foothills which is a PR for at least 5+ years probably 8 or more. was also about 700 ft of climbing which aint much but also aint nothing.

im feeling good about it :shobon:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

I have failed utterly at the gym

but thats because ive been focusing on running (its terrible dont) and am working toward a half marathon. did 6 miles trail run yesterday in the foothills which is a PR for at least 5+ years probably 8 or more. was also about 700 ft of climbing which aint much but also aint nothing.

im feeling good about it :shobon:

that's great, a friend of mine runs, its def a lifestyle but it works out great for the people who love it, keep it up

polyester concept posted:

did my first 5x5 workout today. used the app from stronglifts.com to recommend starting weights and chose the beginner level since it’s been a while.

also excellent

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Hell yeah, you’ll probably get super sore in a day or two but don’t let it discourage you, it won’t happen every time

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hell yeah. Hope it's the first sweat of many!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

stronglifts is good poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

all my lifts are weaklifts.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

akadajet posted:

all my lifts are weaklifts.

I was once like you friend, and then I discovered strong lifts dot com

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

But actually my lifts have been bad lately :(. We moved recently and my old neighborhood gym membership lapsed before that and it didn’t make sense to renew so I haven’t had a good workout in awhile

We signed up for a new club and I think I’m gonna try to come up with a machine-focused routine. I know it isn’t as good as free weights but I enjoy it more

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Share Bear posted:

also excellent

ADINSX posted:

Hell yeah, you’ll probably get super sore in a day or two but don’t let it discourage you, it won’t happen every time

LanceHunter posted:

Hell yeah. Hope it's the first sweat of many!

echinopsis posted:

ty everyone

i kinda like the feeling of DOMS because my dumb rear end needs a constant physical reminder that I am making progress and not to gently caress up

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
perhaps it will help motivate you if i share my meager progress at stronglifts 5x5! this is over about 5 months. the noob gains are all exhausted now though so it's getting much harder to add weight on the bar. i am pretty fat at 5'9" 210lbs, not sure if that makes things easier or harder for me. while i do have previous experience lifting weights, i was never any good at it, i didn't do compound barbell movements, and it was almost 10 years ago. so i started with the bar and kept adding weight as the app instructed

squat 5x5 45lbs to 200lbs. but gently caress me i can't get 5 clean sets of 205. having to back off a bit here and work on form
bench press 5x5 45lbs to 150lbs. still improving my form here. i love bench but i'm bad at activating my chest, i feel it mostly in my arms
deadlift 1x5 65lbs to 225lbs. i can do more but i worry about hurting my lower back and deadlifts are exhausting after squats
overhead press 5x5 45lbs to 100lbs. i love this exercise but it is hard as gently caress
barbell row 5x5 65lbs to 135lbs. i hate this exercise. i can go higher but i'm cheating when i do. might replace this with another row idk

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

DELETE CASCADE posted:

perhaps it will help motivate you if i share my meager progress at stronglifts 5x5! this is over about 5 months. the noob gains are all exhausted now though so it's getting much harder to add weight on the bar. i am pretty fat at 5'9" 210lbs, not sure if that makes things easier or harder for me. while i do have previous experience lifting weights, i was never any good at it, i didn't do compound barbell movements, and it was almost 10 years ago. so i started with the bar and kept adding weight as the app instructed

squat 5x5 45lbs to 200lbs. but gently caress me i can't get 5 clean sets of 205. having to back off a bit here and work on form
bench press 5x5 45lbs to 150lbs. still improving my form here. i love bench but i'm bad at activating my chest, i feel it mostly in my arms
deadlift 1x5 65lbs to 225lbs. i can do more but i worry about hurting my lower back and deadlifts are exhausting after squats
overhead press 5x5 45lbs to 100lbs. i love this exercise but it is hard as gently caress
barbell row 5x5 65lbs to 135lbs. i hate this exercise. i can go higher but i'm cheating when i do. might replace this with another row idk

hey those are almost exactly my numbers! are you still on stronglifts? i switched from greyskull to a barbell medicine program that does more volume and introduces the concept of RPE and i've really enjoyed it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
still on it but open to alternatives, will check that out! i don't know that i should consider myself "intermediate" based on my body weight, but i've heard that stronglifts is not necessarily the "sa/reddit/online forum approved" program anymore, but then neither is starting strength and that worked for tons of people too

i'm familiar with the idea of RPE but not sure how good i am at estimating it. but i think i can estimate RIR and they're supposedly convertable

mehdi the stronglifts guy sends good emails that reference actual research papers instead of blogs, i like that. he's on the dogmatic side though. i've been starting to throw in the occasional isolation exercise or machine, just to make sure i'm recruiting all my muscles correctly. i mean, i'm seeing results, my quads are getting thicc as fucc from squatting 3x a week, but i'm concerned that i've only gotten this far through sheer effort, rather than truly proper form that will carry me forward to higher weights

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

If you’re having trouble activating your chest try dumbbell benchpress instead of barbell. Plus as an added bonus you can do them without a spot

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ty everyone

i kinda like the feeling of DOMS because my dumb rear end needs a constant physical reminder that I am making progress and not to gently caress up

same. I mean it’s bad but good. a reminder you’ve done something worth hurting for

it’s better than the pain of regret when you’re hungover and remember what you did the night before lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the book by the dude who made stronglifts an ok read, and does emphasise the value in strength training specifically

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

are you talking about the starting strength book by mark rippetoe? he's an awesome strength coach

stronglifts itt i believe refers to mehdi's stronglifts.com which is a very similar program but not the same. mehdi has his own articles that i think are good reads too. he's a computer toucher so maybe that's why i like his style

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I mean mehdi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a simple set of compound lifts with a very simple
set of rules

I mean it’s perfect because it’s so straightforward and if someone gets interested enough to learn more and make it more complex then sweet but the simple techniques and rules taught at the start are enough to be radically life transforming

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

echinopsis posted:

a simple set of compound lifts with a very simple
set of rules

I mean it’s perfect because it’s so straightforward and if someone gets interested enough to learn more and make it more complex then sweet but the simple techniques and rules taught at the start are enough to be radically life transforming

thats what most of the programs are, there is some terminology involved that takes a while to get used to. alex bromley has done a review of a bunch of these if you want more information about them, he breaks down pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RHiipYqTwc&list=PLxGDE-_rnbvPe-BkZFRczZpGKRGO-lDnL

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

DELETE CASCADE posted:

did 5x5 at 205 today after weeks of trying. turns out i just needed to post about it?

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

DELETE CASCADE posted:

did 5x5 at 205 today after weeks of trying. turns out i just needed to post about it?

hell yeah :justpost: :justpr:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I bought a scale for the first time in my adult life!!!

I normally hate smart devices in the home but I figured that something that I can pull data from would be nice, so I just went with whatever smart scale Wirecutter suggested. And man is it able to infer lots of stuff! Lean body mass, bone mass, protein, visceral fat; lots of numbers to watch go up or down. Hopefully this'll help me get back to where I was pre-therapy inducing job and pandemic levels of me.

However -- I wonder how reliable these inferred numbers are. Is there any point to looking at non-weight metrics on a consumer device like this or is it a gimmick that ends up being not much better than statistical noise?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DELETE CASCADE posted:

let’s go

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Dijkstracula posted:

I normally hate smart devices in the home but I figured that something that I can pull data from would be nice, so I just went with whatever smart scale Wirecutter suggested. And man is it able to infer lots of stuff! Lean body mass, bone mass, protein, visceral fat; lots of numbers to watch go up or down. Hopefully this'll help me get back to where I was pre-therapy inducing job and pandemic levels of me.

However -- I wonder how reliable these inferred numbers are. Is there any point to looking at non-weight metrics on a consumer device like this or is it a gimmick that ends up being not much better than statistical noise?

the general advice is that they're good for trends, but not so much for actual numbers. if it says your muscle mass is going up and your body fat is going down, that's actually happening, but don't get too attached to the 15% or whatever

this understanding is a decade+ old, though, so i wouldn't be too surprised if they're better now

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

ok that sounds reasonable, I don’t really have specific context for most of the numbers anyway so “number go up/down” is about all I’d be going on anyway, ty

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Dijkstracula posted:

Sounds like snake oil op. Unless maybe you're filling out a bunch of additional information in an app?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

boss af

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

At the gym they had this scale where you would stand barefoot and hold these handles that would apparently send a slight electric current through and measure the time it took and from that determine fat, muscle whatever. Does it work like that? Are there handles?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

Sounds like snake oil op. Unless maybe you're filling out a bunch of additional information in an app?

I told it only my age, gender, and height

ADINSX posted:

At the gym they had this scale where you would stand barefoot and hold these handles that would apparently send a slight electric current through and measure the time it took and from that determine fat, muscle whatever. Does it work like that? Are there handles?

no handles but looks like it has electrode coating so maybe a similar idea

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's definitely a similar idea, that's how those work

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

oof, my hammies

i really really gotta get back to being consistent with my workout days so I don't hurt so bad two days later. a week before returning to a muscle group sucks.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Picked back up in Greyskull LP after coming over from a more dumbbell-centric program. It's been great. It's crazy how tired I am at the end of the day after doing the heavier compound lifts compared to a bunch of dumbbell work.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dijkstracula posted:

I told it only my age, gender, and height

no handles but looks like it has electrode coating so maybe a similar idea

So bioelectrical impedance analysis analysis (BIA) measures of body fat can be really good or really bad. I had a cheap handheld unit that was supposed to do that to measure body fat, and it was giving me numbers that were at least 30% lower than they should have been. (This was especially bad as it was a time when I had just moved, was a lot more idle, and was stress eating; so I wasn't getting a true gauge of just how much fat was building up.)

I eventually got a Withings scale, though, which uses the same method but has a better build. It's numbers are still not perfect, but they're usually within a few percentage points of the results I get when I do a DEXA scan (which is the gold standard for body composition measurements). The most important thing is to just make sure you're always measuring at the same time of day and on an empty stomach (and preferably after having used the bathroom).

That Wyze scale looks like they're copying Withings, and at 20% of the price. So I don't know if they're cutting corners on things that matter to the measurement or if they're mostly the same quality but just saving on branding (and probably pirating some of Withings' R&D).

All that said, still better than having no scale at all. Keeping track of your data can really show you how you are progressing.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

this is the one i have. ive never had a dexa test so i have no idea how accurate it is; if any of yall have thoughts about it i'd love to hear em

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Body fat measurement is a lot more imprecise than people generally realize. This series goes into quite a bit of detail, but if you just want practical advise see the final part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i think you still have to do hydrostatic to really get a good measurement.