Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

ImpAtom posted:

I guess I am confused because NK's entire post was about the voice acting? Like it came right after them praising how good Atlus dubs are and said the superior dub would be the one that has that line. It was a specific comment about voice acting.

If I'm misunderstanding I apologize but I guess I am not seeing it.

It is literally a response to one of his lines and presumably the line readings are relevant or else what does it have to do with dubs in the first place?

Yukari's written line being "Stupei Ace Defective" has literally nothing to do with Vic, the dub actor who previously voiced Junpei. That is literally all there is to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neeksy posted:

Yukari's written line being "Stupei Ace Defective" has literally nothing to do with Vic, the dub actor who previously voiced Junpei. That is literally all there is to it.

Yeah, sorry, I guess I assume dub is about the actual VAing not the written line. My bad then.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

It is ok to like something even if terrible people were involved in making it.

Yeah, and like especially for videogame voice actors, the common person is gonna be like me and not even know any of them in the first place

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Gonna be honest like 80% of the good voice acting comes from Grant George, Liam O'Brien, Tara Platt and Yuri Lownethal-Fuuka has been named, but honestly Ken is also pretty dire too

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

P3's dub was also not properly de-essed, so Mitsuru fries the audio a lot of the time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah people say Mitsuru has a lisp but I think it's actually just that the sibilance for most characters is ridiculously pronounced and she gets the worst of it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Junpei posted:

Gonna be honest like 80% of the good voice acting comes from Grant George, Liam O'Brien, Tara Platt and Yuri Lownethal-Fuuka has been named, but honestly Ken is also pretty dire too

Anecdote, so take it for what it's worth, but at the time I remember somebody saying that Fuuka had to be better in the original Japanese and somebody who spoke Japanese replied "Not really."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Junpei posted:

I've said it before but I honestly don't think Liam was bringing his A game in P3. As a Naruto fan at the time, his early Gaara was also pretty dire. But he also clearly got better in both roles with time so.

Platt as Mitsuru I'll miss the most. Mitsuru was always my favorite and her VA was a big part of that. The composed, prim and proper lady who just bellows OUTTA MY WAY in battle was perfect. I'm sure the new lady will be fine but I'll still miss her.

I wonder if they would even dare replace the entire English cast for a Persona 4 remake?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 27, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

They've already replaced the VAs for Teddie, Chie, Kanji, Naoto, Margaret, and Rise, might as well start over :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

NikkolasKing posted:

I've said it before but I honestly don't think Liam was bringing his A game in P3. As a Naruto fan at the time, his early Gaara was also pretty dire. But he also clearly got better in both roles with time so.

Platt as Mitsuru I'll miss the most. Mitsuru was always my favorite and her VA was a big part of that. The composed, prim and proper lady who just bellows OUTTA MY WAY in battle was perfect. I'm sure the new lady will be fine but I'll still miss her.

I wonder if they would even dare replace the entire English cast for a Persona 4 remake?

At this point, when I heard Platt, all I hear is Edelgard. And Zero and Alice. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yaeh the english dub cast of persona 4 is already a ship of theseus situation

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I have to say I like the original english VA for Chie, not that the replacement is bad, but the relative naturalism really worked well with the character.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did they ever say who Naoto's original VA was?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dawgstar posted:

Did they ever say who Naoto's original VA was?

No, but the VA (Anna Graves) eventually promoted having voiced the role for an appearance at a con, so we do now know who it was.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Neeksy posted:

I have to say I like the original english VA for Chie, not that the replacement is bad, but the relative naturalism really worked well with the character.

She was the best VA in history. Nobody else even comes close.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

They've already replaced the VAs for Teddie, Chie, Kanji, Naoto, Margaret, and Rise, might as well start over :v:

Naoto was even recast twice!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Junpei posted:

Michelle Ruff is also good, in my opinion.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IMO the stinkers in the P3 lineup are Aigis and to a lesser extent Fuuka. TBH I'm not particularly upset that Strassman's apparently a QAnon fanatic because I don't think she's actually very good as a VA.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Old Teddie reminds me of Richard Horvtiz.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Commander Keene posted:

IMO the stinkers in the P3 lineup are Aigis and to a lesser extent Fuuka. TBH I'm not particularly upset that Strassman's apparently a QAnon fanatic because I don't think she's actually very good as a VA.

She also voiced Nanako and I think she did a fantastic job, absolutely hated learning that about her.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think Strassman is a decent VA (terrible person though, not defending any of that) but she has like 2 voices and thats it. She plays a ton of random bit parts in WoW and it is always instantly obvious that it's her no matter if she's voicing a human or a little owl creature.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Strassman's Aigis ftw. Shame she sucks tho.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

She also voiced Nanako and I think she did a fantastic job, absolutely hated learning that about her.
I didn't like her performance as Nanako either, she just didn't convincingly sound like a kid to me. IMO her best role that I'm familiar with was the crazy Summoner asterisk holder in Bravely Default. Apparently it wasn't much of an act for her :v:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah I thought she was good as both Aigis and Nanako.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think Strassman is a decent VA (terrible person though, not defending any of that) but she has like 2 voices and thats it. She plays a ton of random bit parts in WoW and it is always instantly obvious that it's her no matter if she's voicing a human or a little owl creature.

This is kinda why I don't care much for Laura Bailey. I've heard "Rise" in a billion things, and if it isn't Rise, it's the Lust voice. That's about it.

But in all fairness, this describes oh so many VAs. I guess it just depends how much you like them to begin with. It's 2023, I first played Xenosaga 1 in 2003, and it introduced me to so many YAs I would be hearing in almost everything else I watched that was dubbed. Kirk Thornton, Michael lMcConnohie, Richard Epcar - if it was dubbed anywhere from like the 90s to now, they're probably in it, and you'll know them immediately. This is what some dub haters really harp on, how anime (or "anime games") dubbing is this pretty small pool of folks you'll hear repeatedly. It never bugged me but just saying there's a ton of VAs who don't exactly have the best range.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Laura Bailey is good, can't relate

Also Bailey has a ton of range lmao

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah like just off the top my head, play Infamous Second Son, her Fetch is pretty far removed from her Rise

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Junpei posted:

Yeah like just off the top my head, play Infamous Second Son, her Fetch is pretty far removed from her Rise

I didn't really care for Second Son but it has been a while. I didn't remember her being in it, though. so maybe you're right.

But from other video games, she was two main characters in Star Ocean 4 and both of them were just Rise. Yes, you could argue "that's Star Ocean 4" but Persona 4 is decidedly not SO4 and she didn't exactly do anything different there, either. But if she can and does mix it up now and then, fine, I'll concede that. I haven't heard everything with her.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

there's a lot of VAs who have good range but also do the same voice for about 80% of their roles

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Old Teddie reminds me of Richard Horvtiz.

Wanna reply to this though because relevant to my Xenosaga reference. Old Teddie was Dave Wittenberg and he fuckin' rules. He is definitely a man with range.

They gave S. Teedie in Golden this really distorted voice with no trace of Riegel at all while OG Shadow Teddie by Wittenberg was nice and creepily natural.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=594fTGInaME&t=737s

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
a lot of VAs also get pigeonholed as one role regardless of their range

Like, Richard Epcar can play things other than bombastic himbos and clueless goons, but no one ever asks him to.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A good VA isn't necessarily defined by their range either. Tara Platt has a very similar voice throughout most of her roles, but she does a very good job differentiating them in subtle ways. Like Mitsuru and Edelgard and Miriel and Temari all have the same voice, but there's just something slightly different about all of them.

Of course you get the people who just have staggering ranges like Cherami Leigh.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ApplesandOranges posted:

A good VA isn't necessarily defined by their range either. Tara Platt has a very similar voice throughout most of her roles, but she does a very good job differentiating them in subtle ways. Like Mitsuru and Edelgard and Miriel and Temari all have the same voice, but there's just something slightly different about all of them.

Of course you get the people who just have staggering ranges like Cherami Leigh.
It's funny you say that about Platt, because I use her as an example of being able to create a different "voice" for her characters, due to the fact that I never would have called that she played both Mitsuru and Elizabeth in Persona 3 based on the voices alone. They still sound almost nothing alike even now that I know that.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

there's a lot of VAs who have good range but also do the same voice for about 80% of their roles

I suppose it's in the name to be fair, but I don't think I've ever been disappointed to hear Steve Blum show up in something even though it's clearly just Steve Blum in like 90% of the roles.

Laura Bailey is one of the all time greats imo and has played a bunch of my favorites, I don't think I'd ever even put her in the conversation for being a bad VA

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I suppose it's in the name to be fair, but I don't think I've ever been disappointed to hear Steve Blum show up in something even though it's clearly just Steve Blum in like 90% of the roles.

Laura Bailey is one of the all time greats imo and has played a bunch of my favorites, I don't think I'd ever even put her in the conversation for being a bad VA

Yeah, I don't think Blum actually has different voices. It's always just Steve but that's what the directors want, which also gives us the 'they're always <role>' complaint.

And part of the reason Bailey was in everything was because she's so good. The last thing I heard her in was Magik in Midnight Suns and she was great there sort of doing a Russian accent.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The one VA I'd put into 'variable' territory would be Wendee Lee. She's in a ton of stuff but how well she does has been very up-and-down.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I don't think Blum actually has different voices.

there was an old demo tape of his making the rounds years ago. his range is fine and in particular his high pitched “guilmon from digimon” register is almost unrecognizable. but it was the gravelly voice that everyone wanted

Kale
May 14, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

Tara Platt who was the old voice of Mitsuru comes to mind. She does one voice/character type VERY well which is the authoritative female character.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

ApplesandOranges posted:

The one VA I'd put into 'variable' territory would be Wendee Lee. She's in a ton of stuff but how well she does has been very up-and-down.

They keep casting her to play kids and teenagers and she just can’t. She’s absolutely fine playing adults — I loved her in Cowboy Bebop and Megas XLR (which probably dates me), but every time the direction calls for innocent or cutesy it just sounds so affected from her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kale posted:

Tara Platt who was the old voice of Mitsuru comes to mind. She does one voice/character type VERY well which is the authoritative female character.

She's also Elizabeth though and she nails that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

If they want some voice actors with crazy range, they should rope in Frank Welker and Charles Martinet.