Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

tiaz posted:

while we're claiming credit for things I think this got lost in the noise of the coup Or Whatever That Was

no news is, uh, something? I wonder if Chef Boyar P is going to make it to hide out in Africa.

this owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1673458234563207171
:troll:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

lol As if he knows that's Chamberlain, or who Chamberlain even is.

I'd say more like the other way around. "Prepared England for WW2" by giving Germany enough time and slack to take over most of Europe, completely spin up the war machine and railway system, and become the war crimes gold standard instead of actually standing up to fascists. The lack of military aid from America and Britain early on was pretty shameful. There's been some talk about getting enough fighter planes ready and stuff, but what won the war in the end was boots on the ground.

It is much more complicated than you are portraying it as here though. Britain and France were absolutely not politically ready to go to war in 1938 and had not started rearming in a serious manner. After Hitler broke the Munich agreement and outright annexed Czechoslovakia these attitudes began to change. Chamberlain did not attempt to stick to his earlier appeasement policy and began seriously ramping up military production and spending as well as war preparations for Britain.

e: Wages of Destruction by Adam Tooze actually looks into this quite a bit and one thing emphasized there is just how much this British military buildup was for one outdoing Germany and would overtake Germany given time and that this was viewed with great concern by German industrial and military leaders who realized the implications of it. Hitler framed it as a betrayal by Chamberlain, British warmongering that was masterminded by Roosevelt the "puppet of Wall street bankers and international jewry"

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 27, 2023

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Randarkman posted:

e: Wages of Destruction by Adam Tooze actually looks into this quite a bit and one thing emphasized there is just how much this British military buildup was for one outdoing Germany and would overtake Germany given time and that this was viewed with great concern by German industrial and military leaders who realized the implications of it. Hitler framed it as a betrayal by Chamberlain, British warmongering that was masterminded by Roosevelt the "puppet of Wall street bankers and international jewry"

This sounds familiar but I can't say why... :thunk:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Comstar posted:

Germany was vastly weaker and would have been fighting through fortifications and without the Chech arms industry. So err no.

I think Turtledove did a series on it happening but I think everything goes * worse* somehow.

Yeah The War That Came Early. Premise is Germany invades Czechoslovakia in 1938, and Germany’s weaker state means France isn’t knocked out. Some interesting ideas like Spanish Civil War continuing, the Holocaust not happening, but overall a bad series that goes way too long and feels padded. Some chapters are just a generic Russian pilot going on a bombing mission then returning home, no plot impact or interesting things happening.

Randarkman posted:

It is much more complicated than you are portraying it as here though. Britain and France were absolutely not politically ready to go to war in 1938 and had not started rearming in a serious manner. After Hitler broke the Munich agreement and outright annexed Czechoslovakia these attitudes began to decisively change and Chamberlain did not attempt to stick to his earlier appeasement policy and began seriously ramping up military production and spending as well as war preparations for Britain.

Yeah that’s a good summary. In retrospect yes UK, France, Poland, & Czechs should have dogpiled Germany but public opinion was very against the idea of committing themselves to another war when losses in WWI had been appalling for almost no gain. They weren’t receptive to pleas from leaders that war was necessary when that had been such a lie last time.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The War That Came Early ended with general atomic warfare that wasn't advanced enough to be a MAD scenario. Basically the belligerents use nukes like regular bombs and by the end of the war a bunch of cities were nuked even in the US. It's a fun series and I recommend Turtledove highly because he fills a niche which is "what if a professional historian that also is a professional author had to write a 12 year old's idea of X" and it's insanely fun. It's not GOOD but it is very very fun. He spends his days now being a very angry leftist old man on Twitter and trolling nazis.

My favorite Turtledove series is the alternate history WW2 where the confederacy is nazi Germany and it just goes off the rails crazy but in a way which is insistently logical to its universe's own rules and canon.

There's also the Turtledove series where WW2 stops because aliens invade and humanity united to fight off the alien menace and it has Erwin Rommel commanding troops while riding as cavalry

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 27, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

HonorableTB posted:

The War That Came Early ended with general atomic warfare that wasn't advanced enough to be a MAD scenario. Basically the belligerents use nukes like regular bombs and by the end of the war a bunch of cities were nuked even in the US. It's a fun series and I recommend Turtledove highly. He spends his days now being a very angry leftist old man on Twitter and trolling nazis

I believe you’re thinking of a different series, The Hot War.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I believe you’re thinking of a different series, The Hot War.

Ah crap you're right! My mistake

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Coolguye posted:

this entire situation so surreal it's starting to feel like one of those "time travelers are real" jokes to me.

like, there are so many ways this could have gone. if the point here was to get his boys and his people out of the line of fire and away from the incompetence, he could have, for example, seized an airfield, stolen a bunch of planes, and hosed back off to africa. that would've been bad, but ultimately the russian regime probably would've been able to spin and control that internally, calling prig a coward and his boys deserters. prig also would've been (generally) fine. wagner would have continued to exist and they could still kick other petty warlords around for diamonds in africa.

instead, he chose to go full armed mutiny. that itself is bonkers. it amplified the damage to the regime by like 10x by showing that internal security was a complete tire fire and internal unity is a pipe dream. it provided... actually very little in terms of overall benefit to wagner and prig unless he was interested in fully seizing the reigns of government, which he made pretty clear from the first word that he wasn't super interested in doing.

then, instead of sacking moscow and at LEAST securing his own safety and position, he STOPPED. not WAS STOPPED, he simply STOPPED. this amplified the damage to wagner by like 10x by keeping them firmly at the mercy of the regime, and again provided... basically nothing as far as we can tell. ok, sure, families were threatened. well tbh if they had just seized an airfield and a bunch of cargo planes to gtfo, they could've used the extra time and energy to help get families to ground. or just NOT DONE ANYTHING for another week or two while they moved assets and prepared for the correct time to strike, denying the regime this pressure point. even then, the regime also has its image further deflated because it did not, in fact, defeat the enemy. it even loses much of the benefit of its plan of absorbing the professional soldiers from wagner, because those dogs have already bitten them once.

like folks in the thread were pointing out while this was going on, there was basically no way this ended "well". putin is a piece of poo poo and if he had his position bolstered by a victory, that is bad. prig is a piece of poo poo and if he gains anything, that is also bad. them fighting puts innocents in the direct line of fire, which is yet more bad.

but the way this turned out, literally nobody won. putin has lost an immense amount, both in ""prestige"" and also materially by missing out on the opportunity to get actual soldiers back into ukraine. wagner has lost everything, and its lustily neo-nazi upper crust is pretty much all persona non grata in one of the only power structures that tolerated them. and, critically, almost nobody had to die in the crossfire. some russian aviators got vaporized when they were just confused grunts following orders, and each one of those are tragedies, but we could have had hundreds or thousands of unarmed civilians get fragged here. instead it was about a dozen soldiers.

this entire thing is like Jigsaw giving you two terrible choices on a coin flip, but when it flips the coin, it lands on its side. then the doll gets pissed off, reflips, and it happens again. then the doll goes to pure on wordless fury, and it happens a third time. it finally just bursts into flames and the door to its trap room unlocks without further comment.

there's a FEW historical events i can think of as crazy as this but this post is long enough as is.

Pretty much. I had alot of misgivings about the viability of the 2023 Ukrainian Spring Offensives, they're giving the Russian lines of defense way too much time to prepare. At best, it was going to be ugly. At it was, it's going to be slow and grinding and only achieve limited objectives. But in a Just Defensive War, with Russia sanctioned and unable to import complex components, and Ukraine being fed millions of dollars of old milsurp and fully mobilizing its population, Ukraine

But the collapse of Wagner as a coherent fighting force, and the chaos this is going to render to Russian regulars, is an enormous opportunity for Ukraine and makes their odds far more optimistic. And the more decisive a Ukrainian victory, the less room there is for future political revanchism.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
If someone is going to read anything Turtledove they should start with The Guns of the South, because if they don't find it entertaining to read about time traveling racist south Africans bringing AK-47s to the Confederacy then they really won't like anything he's written

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 27, 2023

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Toxic Mental posted:

Great threads but I have some bad news. I saw in a tweet that there was a Nazi symbol in Ukraine. So who is the real villain here? Who’s to say

My man, it's really loving bad that this is the case, but we are in the situation where we do not have a choice. It's either allow one group of psychotic right wing imperialists rewrite national borders and carry out purges, or prop up another set of ethnonationalists who will use their successful prosecution of a Just War to rise to political prominence.

The least you, and the rest of this stupid loving thread could do, is not celebrate death and bloodshed and buy into some of the worse loving narratives amongst the Ukrainian Right (like Ukraine fighting off hordes of Orks) and pretend there are no Nazis amongst the Ukrainians. After all, talk is Cheap.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

My man, it's really loving bad that this is the case, but we are in the situation where we do not have a choice. It's either allow one group of psychotic right wing imperialists rewrite national borders and carry out purges, or prop up another set of ethnonationalists who will use their successful prosecution of a Just War to rise to political prominence.

The least you, and the rest of this stupid loving thread could do, is not celebrate death and bloodshed and buy into some of the worse loving narratives amongst the Ukrainian Right (like Ukraine fighting off hordes of Orks) and pretend there are no Nazis amongst the Ukrainians. After all, talk is Cheap.

whoosh

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Whoah

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

if you have evidence for your assertion that Ukrainian nazis are rising to prominence in a politically useful way or currently prominent I would be curious to see it

I don't think the thread gestalt is "there are no nazis in Ukraine", more like "the ones that exist have been successfully suppressed, and there are more (both total and per capita) in Russia and particularly Wagner"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Some interesting ideas [...], but overall a bad series that goes way too long and feels padded. Some chapters are just [...] no plot impact or interesting things happening.

yeah they already said it was a Turtledove book

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Harry Turtledove books are basically pulp trash tv for history nerds. Have you ever wanted to know what it would be like for there to be a time traveling history police saving different timelines from totalitarianism through the zeitgeist influence of board games? Harry Turtledove has you covered in his young adult smash hit The Gladiator

E: Turtledove has been one of my favorite authors since I was a teenager because his books are something I can just turn my brain off and go "wooo that's cool!" to, and it definitely helps that he's hard left. I've met him a few times and he's really fun in person too. Anyways back to Ukraine

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 27, 2023

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

What bad thing did the bad Ukrainians do lately that we should condemn? Given the complex history of symbology in that corner what a patch means to one person may mean something else entirely to another. But I'm certainly willing to consider what the bad patch wearers did lately that deserves scrutiny. Did they do bad things? Ah, they are resisting. OK. Good to know.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Go back and read the post again in a sarcastic valley girl accent. you have missed a trick.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Harry Turtledove has precisely two virtues as an alt history writer: he can consistently put out several thousand pages a year, and he's not a Nazi.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

Harry Turtledove has precisely two virtues as an alt history writer: he can consistently put out several thousand pages a year, and he's not a Nazi.

that not a nazi part is a pretty high bar if youre talking about alt history unfortunately

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I don’t even think I can probe that guy with a clear conscience, he’s just too loving dumb. Wow. That’s a special post.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

I don’t even think I can probe that guy with a clear conscience, he’s just too loving dumb. Wow. That’s a special post.

he got the right spirit, he's just a lil confused /s

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

lol you loving loser

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

Ok, I've got a hot take that I think explains what's really going on with the deal and why it makes sense for the 3 parties involved: Putin, Prigozen & his mercs, and Lukashenko...

We know Lukashenko doesn't have enough political power in Belarus to force the reluctant military to invade Ukraine -- even though Putin REALLY wants him to. Belarus has 62K active troops, and 334K in reserve, and Putin knows it would put a LOT more pressure on Ukraine if he could get those forces making incursions along their northern boarder.

Anyhow, it sounds like Putin has now confirmed that all of the mercs who followed Prigozen into Russia will indeed be given the option to either enroll in the military or go with Prigozen to Belarus. If that's true, then we can probably expect Prigozen to show up in Belarus with a couple thousand mercs behind him. I think Lukashenko dreamed up this whole deal as a way to leverage Prigozen and his mercs into coming to Belarus to stabilize his regime for him.

Ok, so that sounds like a good deal for Lukashenko, but why would Putin just let these traitorous mercs off the hook when he could easily bring them all in for processing, disarm and separate them, and then march them into execution chambers one-by-one? Because, with a bit of luck, Wagner may bolster Lukashenko's political power enough for him to finally assert control over the military and bring that chess piece into play. That would be a massive win for Putin if it plays out that way, and a brilliant way to get rid of a couple thousand men he can no longer trust to keep around.

Of course, its probably a coin toss whether Prigozen actually helps Lukashenko or just coups him and takes over Belarus for himself. But that outcome would be just as good for Putin as he'd just be trading out a puppet who was too weak to control the military for another who probably could. And yes, Prigozen would probably become a puppet if he couped Belarus because the moment he makes his move he'll be just another regional warlord (like Kadyrov and all the others) who needs Putin's support to maintain control. And Putin will happily empower Prigozen and the rest of his mercs to plunder and extort Belarus -- so long as they can send their military south into Ukraine. This would be the ultimate outcome for Prigozen and Wagner, and it's probably why the deal made sense for him. That, along with it being a better alternative to certain death.

Now, Lukashenko obviously has to understand how risky it is bringing Wagner in to shore up his political power, but this might have looked like his best play if he thought his back was already against the wall. Plus nobody can act like he's just some useless puppet anymore... Now he gets to say that it was his plan that stopped Wagner from invading Moscow and razing the Kremlin, his plan that saved Putin from getting couped, and his plan that prevented Russia collapsing and Balkanizing into a dozen warlord states. He was a good boy, and maybe that will be enough for Putin to keep him alive.

Am I nuts, or does this actually explain the logic behind the deal? I've been trying think about it like a Russian and may have injured my brain in the process.

Stunt-Puffin fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 27, 2023

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

whyd they capitalize "Cheap"?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Nah I thought that's why Lukashenko stuck his nose in as well. Whether Putin or Prigozhin know his intentions or agree is another matter.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Renreeja posted:

whyd they capitalize "Cheap"?

Enhydra lutris alt spotted

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Toxic Mental posted:

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015
I think people have been far too quick to dismiss Prigozhin's position as a foolish one or one that is totally ignorant of the risks he now faces from Russian assassination. My honest understanding of what has happened is that Prigozhin basically succeeded in his coup, and has managed to secure at least a very short term reprieve for his forces that were about to be subordinated and/or purged by the MoD. I don't really see a reason to doubt the missile strike on Wagner's base, and I think that it was in response to Prigozhin's preparations that concentrated his forces inside Russia and also that it was the trigger for his do or die casting of the dice. I think the march on Moscow gave Prigozhin the possibility of negotiating terms on fairly equal terms with his many friends within Putin's inner circle, and that they decided that giving in to his limited terms was a better idea than a bloody fight for Moscow.

I think the Wagner forces knew they were probably done for in Russia, but that by following Prigozhin, there was a chance of getting out with their power intact, and they've secured that with Belarus as a stopping point before they exfiltrate to Africa, where they can turn one of the Wagner-supported states like Mali or the Central African Republic into a Wagner puppet state where Prigozhin can at least hope to hold off Russian reprisals through control of state apparatus. Obviously Putin must denounce the agreement he made to spare Moscow as soon as the threat has past, but until there is real evidence that Wagner has ceased to exist globally, I don't think his declarations that they will be dissolved mean anything, and his speech saying that they were merely mislead innocents seems to be cover for allowing them to flee that upholds the deal he made under the duress of Wagner potentially toppling the regime. I don't really know if any of this is right, but it seems consilient with what's happened so far and seems better than just saying "Prigozhin is an idiot who didn't know he might get killed for trying to conquer Russia." Time will tell what happens to Wagner, but if they retreat with their arms to Belarus and then slowly make their way to Africa, then it seems like Prigozhin won.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

At 400 degrees I let it sit and sear for 6 minutes before flipping, then let it cook for another 5 minutes. Pulled it off for a nice medium-rare with a good crust on the outside, very juicy. I meant to do them rare but this was the first time I've used the basket air-fryer so next time I'll take them off a few minutes earlier.

Is that a cast iron air fryer grate? Do you let it preheat? Do you flip them or not? Sorry to continue the derail but I must know!

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 27, 2023

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Could it be that invading another country leading to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people is a bad thing?

No, it is the invaded people who are wrong.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Stunt-Puffin posted:

We know Lukashenko doesn't have enough political power in Belarus to force the reluctant military to invade Ukraine -- even though Putin REALLY wants him to. Belarus has 62K active troops, and 334K in reserve, and Putin knows it would put a LOT more pressure on Ukraine if he could get those forces making incursions along their northern boarder.

Stunt-Puffin posted:

If that's true, then we can probably expect Prigozen to show up in Belarus with a couple thousand mercs behind him. I think Lukashenko dreamed up this whole deal as a way to leverage Prigozen and his mercs into coming to Belarus to stabilize his regime for him.

What chance has Prigozhen and a couple thousand mercs to influence Belarus' 62K active troops to invade Ukraine, a move they have staunchly refused since the beginning? Serious question.

'Cause I kind of have a suspicion that having Priggler and mercs show up on their doorstep may make them even less happy with Lukashenko and his ambitions.

ETA: And honestly, it doesn't seem Lukashenko really wants to attack Ukraine very badly at all. I suspect that Putin endures the situation because while Lukashenko may not be helping, his existence is keeping Belarus in a tolerable stasis. They're not helping Russia, but they also aren't helping Ukraine.

Filox fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 27, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

There are no neo-Nazis or extreme right wingers that could have risen to political prominence remaining, you goof. And even before the war, their influence in the military was very diluted if it existed at all. This being said, if you search around pretty much everywhere in Europe and America, you'll probably find at least a few neo-Nazis. That neo-Nazis still exist and roam freely in our day and age is disturbing enough to me as it is, when they should be filling jail cells instead. Right now all I really care about is POCCNR being driven out on their asses from Ukraine and as much of their army being destroyed and rendered combat ineffective as possible, so they can't repeat this stunt in another Baltic state or somewhere in Central Asia or Africa. We'll worry about the problem of nationalism and extremism after the war for survival is done first.

Also an interesting thing you might want to know; the average mobik is there to get paid (compare the offered salaries, combat pay, and bonuses to what the poorer parts of Russia make)and to loot. And there's quite a bit of that going on because payments are either delayed or insufficient more often than not. Something more cynical on this front from the side of Russia is that most of the unfortunates killed and maimed aren't from Moscow and St Petersburg, they're from either the poorer parts of Russia with few to no prospects, or conscripts from the occupied territories of the so-called LNR and DNR, because mass casualties in either of the two mentioned above would raise a huge outcry at home. This (lack of pay) was a problem even among Wanker SS mercenaries. Officers supplement their income by squeezing huge bribes out of their mobiks for any possible reason, particularly if they want to go on leave.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Is that a cast iron air fryer grate? Do you let it preheat? Do you flip them or not? Sorry to continue the derail but I must know!

No its a stainless composite, and I do flip them but only once! I put them in and don't touch them at all until it's time to flip and at the same time I flip, i do another quick spray of oil down to get that nice sizzling sear on that side of the meat and let the juices distribute downward from there

e: yes I let it preheat to 400 because it'll cause a good sizzle but won't create smoke and helps you regulate the internal meat temp a bit easier because you don't have to account for induction cooking while it's preheating - invaluable if youre cooking two steaks at two different styles. My fiancee likes it rare, i like it medium-rare

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Anypne have the previous version to this... where they're putting the hat ON Prigozhin...?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Some chapters are just a generic Russian pilot going on a bombing mission then returning home, no plot impact or interesting things happening.

That's how you know its Turtledove!

HonorableTB posted:

My favorite Turtledove series is the alternate history WW2 where the confederacy is nazi Germany and it just goes off the rails crazy but in a way which is insistently logical to its universe's own rules and canon.

General Custer invades Canada and separatist mormons in Utah begin a campaign of suicide bombing. The books go places for sure.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

tiaz posted:

if you have evidence for your assertion that Ukrainian nazis are rising to prominence in a politically useful way or currently prominent I would be curious to see it

I don't think the thread gestalt is "there are no nazis in Ukraine", more like "the ones that exist have been successfully suppressed, and there are more (both total and per capita) in Russia and particularly Wagner"

Carth Dookie posted:

Go back and read the post again in a sarcastic valley girl accent. you have missed a trick.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Cable Guy posted:

Anypne have the previous version to this... where they're putting the hat ON Prigozhin...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

That's how you know its Turtledove!

General Custer invades Canada and separatist mormons in Utah begin a campaign of suicide bombing. The books go places for sure.

The US has multiple actual-no-poo poo Socialist presidents in that universe, it would have made for one hell of a fun HBO miniseries tbh

E: the US occupies Canada to compensate for losing the southern states and the Confederacy takes over part of northern Mexico and has influence over most of the Caribbean meanwhile the US allies with imperial Germany against France and Britain, and Russia is doing somethign I don't remember. Philadelphia gets nuked and the holocaust happens in the southern US but instead of jewish people its black people. Complete anime plot

E2: Harry Turtledove also wrote a one-off about Joseph Stalin but instead he's American and his name is Joe Steele and he defeats Roosevelt in an underhanded way to turn the US into the United Soviet States of America lmao

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 27, 2023