Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

most of the stylized cartoony sfv characters look better than the ultra high def sf6 ones

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it looked like poo poo when the modelers got weirdly horny in all the female fighter skins tho

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't even have a story mode, yeah? Or a weird truncated version?

Yeah, the story mode was free DLC released like 5 months after launch. Launch SFV just felt blatantly unfinished and it's pretty understandable why that left a bad impression on people and caused them to lose interest.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it looked like poo poo when the modelers got weirdly horny in all the female fighter skins tho

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
i would believe there is a world where street fighter is modernized without continuing a lineage of comic booky/perverse/exaggerated design but hell, capcoms got a lane, and they've stuck to it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
more comic books imo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The SF UDON books are surprisingly pretty good imo.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm gonna vote for anime/manga, as Kennedy would have done if he had been around to witness the anime renaissance of the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Had he had a steel Cutie Honey lunchbox, as I have, history would have taken a different course.

I've been meaning to read more of the Udon comics, picked up the earliest collections recently. Pretty cool for sure.

(edit: yes he would be wearing the lunchbox like a helmet to deflect the sniper's bullets, I'm not a forensics guy)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 27, 2023

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i liked the costumes a lot in V tbh, they had fun ones

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lol; If you're not attacking, drive impacts just knock you back a bit, right? It's only if you're attacking the DI punches through that you get hurt and rocked? He just wouldn't stop spamming pokes.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jack B Nimble posted:

Lol; If you're not attacking, drive impacts just knock you back a bit, right? It's only if you're attacking the DI punches through that you get hurt and rocked? He just wouldn't stop spamming pokes.

specifically noncancellable pokes. you can see the gears turning in my brain when hes just whiffing moves in front of me and im like "are you serious? are you giving this incredible gift to me?"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
There's also a good handful of moves that can just go 'gently caress you' through DI in various ways, but... Zangief has those. I think he has multiple, thanks to both having command grabs and superarmor.

He and Marisa are the only characters I dread using DI on because of that, they've got so many options to punish you for it that they might do it without noticing. At least Chun and Honda have to read you to counter you.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Orv
May 4, 2011

Vermain posted:

capcom will reveal they designed modern specifically with DSP in mind and i will be forced to fling my body into the sea

Waves have throw immunity

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
The funniest part of the dsp clip is that he reacts to the DI frame 1 with raging, before the attack connects he's fully throwing his hands in the air. His reactions are actually mad good but he only uses them to complain

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jack B Nimble posted:

if you expect a DI you just use a DI-safe poke and then cancel on reaction into your own counter-DI and get a nasty high damage combo out of it
the fact that he complained about the other player spamming DI and yet never once planned for / expected it enough to actually do this is pretty dumb

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
The final form of SFV is a really good game IMO. The final form of its netcode still isn't very good though!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Finally managed to hit plat with a 42% win rate. If I can do it anyone can.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Trykt posted:

The final form of SFV is a really good game IMO. The final form of its netcode still isn't very good though!

the new team did really great things with what they had and made the final version a lot better

the netcode was poo poo but the new characters and balance changes made it a lot more playable

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Meanwhile, my own confidence in doing decent as a potential Marisa main is... kinda sinking lower? I tried the combo stuff and gently caress I need to practice timing. And/or Modern mode.

Doesn't help that I might be SUPER UNDERLEVELED in World Tour somehow. Level 31, and this Shadaloo-lookin' cardboard head is at 37 while having GNARLY anti-airs and a generally oppressive behavior. Is this a stats thing or a "git gud" thing?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/rats__baby/status/1673167795297873925

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Vengarr posted:

I think there was a planned 3rd part where you stop JP for reals and it either got cut for time or moved to DLC. Using all your contacts and masters across the globe to snuff out his plans. Networking is the true strength

Yeah, I think the third part got moved to the DLC, and it makes sense with the DLC characters in Season 1. You get Rashid, who helped saved the day in SFV, but failed to save his friend, just like you. Then there's Ed, who was given a lot of power but decided to carve out his own path. And then there's Akuma, who also has sought out strength for strength's sake, and we all know how that's turned out for him. All three are going to have a lot to say to your character, and I'll bet that they'll be a lot more involved in the DLC story than most of the other masters were.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah, DSP was just begging to be hit with random DIs. I assume he's a long-time Gief player, so I get that some of that is probably just engrained muscle memory (because I do the same thing with Chun sometimes), but at some point you'd think he'd go "man, I keep getting caught by these seemingly random DIs, maybe I should stop trying to poke at him!"

Instead he'd rather just be a big scrub baby and embarrass himself on stream

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

omg its perfect

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
found a funny gimmick with stompy kicks on gief
https://i.imgur.com/lL8AQNP.mp4

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

anime was right posted:

found a funny gimmick with stompy kicks on gief
https://i.imgur.com/lL8AQNP.mp4

Zangief is obese; BMI 39.8.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 27, 2023

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Duck and Cover posted:

Zangief is obese; BMI 39.8.

I weep for the man that calls that guy obese

Enjoy your pile driver

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

I weep for the man that calls that guy obese

Enjoy your pile driver

He's 7 feet and 399 pounds. It's not my fault that is BMI of 39.8 and obese is anything over 30. You can't change the truth by pile driving me!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Why BMI is a lovely measurement that only has value at the population level, Exhibit K

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Xand_Man posted:

Why BMI is a lovely measurement that only has value at the population level, Exhibit K

that's just what someone with a BMI of 39.8 would say

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

For all this talk about JP being the most broken character in SF6 ever, I'm seeing zero JPs in top spots of all these tournaments.

Regrettable Drunk
Nov 18, 2012
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct_JkTrMhhV/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Masters ranks character distribution. Interesting to see Deejay storming up to the third spot. He was 9th on the 12th of June.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

For all this talk about JP being the most broken character in SF6 ever, I'm seeing zero JPs in top spots of all these tournaments.

...Because he's not?

Like get on him at all and he has a DI and a slow rear end knock back

He can't take a punch up close at all.

I actually think JP is fine from the new characters

Luke and Manon are the monsters

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jack Trades posted:

I've got basically no JP experience so far, but I feel like he's a character that struggles to get back momentum after he loses it. He has very little in the way of tools that get him the space he does so well with if he's already getting boxed in. But, if a JP good enough to get him into that sweet spot goes up against a player that's not good enough against him to get him out of it, he's gonna clean house, so he absolutely dominates in lower-skill environments.

...interestingly, it's a very similar feeling I have about Manon, and I wonder if there's something about that. Their rough 'classic' equivalents, Dhalsim and Zangief, eventually got moves that dealt with the limitations of their classic gameplay approach; Dhalsim got escape options and Zangief got ways to punish jump-ins. JP and Manon feel like their greatest problems might just be that they haven't been around long enough to evolve those tools yet.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I have a question that might be dumb, but...

How do you guys know when to start inputting the next move in a combo? Practicing cammy combos last night and trying not to just spam wildly, but understand exactly when the game wants me to do a cannon strike after a heavy attack or whatever. Is there a rule of thumb for when to move on to the next part of a combo? Or is it something you just have to get a feel for every time?

Regrettable Drunk
Nov 18, 2012
If you go to training in the display settings there is an option to turn on combo timing. That will show you when you about the move. Then it's muscle memory.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I've been a little stressed/busy last few days so haven't been able to put in much labbing or competitive play, mainly because my concentration has been shot. So, I've been grinding out world tour a bit to relax and I kind of can't tell what Capcom's thought process is with the endgame. Opportunities to level up just kind of disappear, and there's a huge gulf between Fighty Mighty opponents. I think world tour is really good at being a tutorial for the most part, but it kind of encourages playing dumb and exploiting the AI if you're just grinding stuff out and I think its easy to cement bad habits that way.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jeremor posted:

I have a question that might be dumb, but...

How do you guys know when to start inputting the next move in a combo? Practicing cammy combos last night and trying not to just spam wildly, but understand exactly when the game wants me to do a cannon strike after a heavy attack or whatever. Is there a rule of thumb for when to move on to the next part of a combo? Or is it something you just have to get a feel for every time?

You want to know if the thing you're doing is a cancel or a link. When doing st.HP into spiral arrow, you "cancel" the recovery frames of the punch so you want to input the special move asap. cr.HP into st.LK (and things like Spiral Arrow into Cannon Strike juggles) is a link which means you need to wait for cr.HP to recover before st.LK can connect.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i liked the costumes a lot in V tbh, they had fun ones

Yeah a lot of the characters looked pretty awful at first, but there was a lot of really good alternate costumes in SFv that helped a lot

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

most of the stylized cartoony sfv characters look better than the ultra high def sf6 ones
and it looks 1000x better than sf4's ugly rear end 3d

???

Uh, boot up SFIV and it still loving holds up pretty well, because of the art style

SFV looks ROUGH

SFVI is like one of the best looking fgs I've ever seen, right up there with Strive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah I feel like in terms of presentation, 6 has finally completely nailed it for the 3d era of fighting games. I think it's really up there with 3rd strike. Even the music, the UI, everything - Street Fighter finally has its swagger back.