Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

I've done it in a pinch for my SPD when there was no other option. It's works but it's not as flexible or stable as a proper mount.

I use a boom arm and multi clamp, and can set it up basically how I like. Currently over my bass drum on the ride cymbal side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

HappyCamperGL posted:

I've done it in a pinch for my SPD when there was no other option. It's works but it's not as flexible or stable as a proper mount.

I use a boom arm and multi clamp, and can set it up basically how I like. Currently over my bass drum on the ride cymbal side.

Thanks for the information.

It sucks that the official stands and clamps will cost pretty much the same as I paid for the DTX itself so I might need to do some more research before pulling the trigger. And yeah Yamaha hardware is rock solid so it’s not money down the drain but still…

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
After 2.5 years of no drums (moved across country, now in an apartment), I got an electronic kit again!

Picked up the TD07KV as I needed something pretty compact. It’s cool - I def miss the bell on the ride from my old TD6SX, and I feel like that one had a wider variety of sounds (though lots of garbage), but the sound editing features of the TD07 module are pretty amazing all things considered. Cranking up the room mic, blending in some Tom OH and adding verb to the snare made such a difference.

The HH pedal is poo poo though. Doesn’t seem to have any adjustment spring, it’s just a floppy loose thing that has no resistance, just bounces up and down. Might need to track down a better one because Lmao, I love that I can’t even lightly rest my foot without triggering closed.

Eventually gotta figure out how to arrange the rooms so I can run my VSTs with this, but for now it’s exercise I’ve been desperately missing.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Slothful Bong posted:

Cranking up the room mic, blending in some Tom OH and adding verb to the snare made such a difference.

Wow, I didn't realize the TD07 could do all that. I don't think my TD4 could do that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tangentially related to drumming at best, but this is cool. Drummer in my little bros band saved a ladies life in between sets at a show this past weekend.

https://journalstar.com/entertainme...e525a961bc.html

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
That is pretty cool, and :lol: at them saying being a drummer helped them hit 120bpm chest compressions :drum:

Unrelated, I finally stumbled across one simple short video that teaches you everything you need to know to be a professional drummer:

https://i.imgur.com/J2heNP2.mp4

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Hello drum thread. Don't know where to start looking for this, but I'm interested in getting some sort of rig that I can use to practice double bass drums, and that I can just slide in under my desk so I can practice when I'm doing stuff on the computer. Any suggestions would be welcome, and I'm located in the US. Basically I think I'm looking for something similar to what is pictured here:

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Hello drum thread. Don't know where to start looking for this, but I'm interested in getting some sort of rig that I can use to practice double bass drums, and that I can just slide in under my desk so I can practice when I'm doing stuff on the computer. Any suggestions would be welcome, and I'm located in the US. Basically I think I'm looking for something similar to what is pictured here:

bass drum practice pad + double bass pedal

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Drumeo sells a thing for a kick practice pad, but it needs their beaters for it because the pad actually sits right by the clamp on pedals if that makes sense.

Might work for what you are after?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Yeah that would work I'm sure. Thanks, I suspected that I just needed something like pedals and a practice pad but figured I'd ask just in case.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
My only concern is how you are sitting at the desk. Try to match it as best you can. Not only for practice but also to reduce injuring yourself.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Hi friends.

Just starting out. Ive had a few kits before (Im one of those weirdos that has all the instruments because I cant find people who play things I like to play).

Following OPs advice, I picked up a practically new mapex mars craigslist kit and am having a bit of trouble on rudiments.

Basically if I am holding the sticks the same in both hands, like french or whatever, my non dominant hand has two problems. A lot of lateral stick movement off the rebound of a hit (just doing 2 roll on each hand trying to have my fingers do the throw on the rebound). Like just swinging wildly from left to right, the stick doesn’t rebound vertically as it does in my dominant hand. And the butt of the stick is often getting caught up on some part of my body (hip, thigh, etc). Pushing my elbows out further seems pretty awkward. Am I sitting too low? Do I need to have more surface area on my non dom grip? Does this just “go away”? After lots of practice?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Basic Poster posted:

Hi friends.

Just starting out. Ive had a few kits before (Im one of those weirdos that has all the instruments because I cant find people who play things I like to play).

Following OPs advice, I picked up a practically new mapex mars craigslist kit and am having a bit of trouble on rudiments.

Basically if I am holding the sticks the same in both hands, like french or whatever, my non dominant hand has two problems. A lot of lateral stick movement off the rebound of a hit (just doing 2 roll on each hand trying to have my fingers do the throw on the rebound). Like just swinging wildly from left to right, the stick doesn’t rebound vertically as it does in my dominant hand. And the butt of the stick is often getting caught up on some part of my body (hip, thigh, etc). Pushing my elbows out further seems pretty awkward. Am I sitting too low? Do I need to have more surface area on my non dom grip? Does this just “go away”? After lots of practice?

post a video of your issue

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Jazz Marimba posted:

post a video of your issue

This is probably the best way to get help over the internet, and one of the primary reasons most of us recommend taking at least a handful of in-person lessons for people just starting out so there's someone sitting there who can just see you and correct issues with form or technique.

In general, based on what you describe, are you starting your rudiment practice with each hand individually? Assuming you're right handed, this lets you keep a closer eye on your left hand/stick and try to correct any differences from the right side. Having a mirror set up so you can see yourself from the side also helps.

You mentioned starting out with matched grip (good), but French is when your thumbs are both pointed straight up. This is good for speed and finesse and is used in timpani playing, but usually not something a beginner learns first. Rotating your wrists so your thumbs are facing each other is German grip and is used for MAX POWER and is what most people start out on. Rotating your hands up a bit so your thumbs are 45-ish degrees up is American grip and is what most 'regular'/rock drummers end up using a lot of the time.

How much of your stick is visible out of the bottom of your hand? It's usually not more than a few inches, if it is you may be holding the stick too far up. This can vary by stick, usually you'll find the stick's balance point on one finger, then grip it between your thumb and forefinger just behind that point.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Thanks all. Yep as soon as I got the first reply I ordered a web cam to take video. Don’t have much use for one otherwise. Gets here tuesday.

I am looking for an in person teacher to get me started in some basic techniques as well. Basically going off yt and some drum books I have for stealing patterns for bass.

I am gripping some vic firth sticks with my thumb between the flag and the H and as you say pivoting between the thumb and index and using the pinky/middle to flick back for the second hit of a rudiment roll. Definitely more of a problem with the left as the stick sort of rotates about the z axis when gripped in the thumb/index pivot.

I do think the throne is too low. The snare skin is below my thigh top which I think is causing some collisions with my hip and stick

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I can almost guarantee your throne is too low. Sit nice and high and move your drums up to meet you imo

sit up high and bring your snare up to around waist height

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 7, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I am not sure where to put this but I splurged on an electronic drumkit (I can't play an acoustic set anywhere right now and want to be able to send files back and forth for recording purposes with ease).

I ordered from a UK company and it slipped my mind that the standard voltage there is 240. I am getting a step-down voltage plug/converter to use 120. Will that gently caress up the kit? I've emailed the company but they're closed til Monday, so I want to be sure I'm not risking damaging the kit by cutting the voltage.

If this is an absolutely moronic question, spare me the ridicule and tell me everything will be okay and that I didn't just buy something that will be useless for me in the US.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The kit will be running off DC voltage anyways. I would take a look at the provided power supply and note the specs: input voltage, output voltage and max current.
It's extremely likely that the supply can already accept 78V-264V as input. In that case, you're good.

If not, find an identically specd supply (same output voltage and current) for your input voltage.
Transformer works, but getting the right DC supply is probably easier, smaller, and lighter.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 20, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Oh poo poo, I didn't see the minimum of 100 volts for the input voltage.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Yes the wall warts will usually take from 110-220v 50/60hz and you will probably only need an adapter which transforms the physical aspect of the plug from uk to us standard.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTQ0JWOWoPo

TheCondor
Oct 30, 2010
So I bought these old ludwigs years ago for cheap.

If I can get them serviceable I want to learn how to play them since I finally have a good space to set up a whole kit. The main problem I see is the bottom bearing edges on the bass and toms don't look so good, they were pretty ratty to begin with and I doubt sitting unused in a basement helped any. I tried to get some pictures of the worst spots:

The top edges look significantly better, just a few small gaps but the spot in the second picture worries me:

Can those bottom edges be repaired? Should I just not bother and keep the resonator heads off/will that cause any problems if I'm just starting out?

Someone hacked this tab mount together at some point, I think they drilled some new holes to mount it up. I really don't like it, if I want to change this without drilling more holes am I stuck looking for used spare parts of whatever was on there originally?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'd be tempted to ignore the bottom bearing edges for now and just not bother skinning them for that old-school feel (and much less hassle.) I spent years without reso heads on my export just so that I could nest it for easy storage and transport, it does change the sound but it's a choice rather than being strictly worse.

If you want them done properly the best thing is probably going to be to find a local drum maker (or someone else super confident with what they're doing) to cut new bearing edges, shortening the depth of the toms slightly.

With the mount you might get lucky and find an alternate mount that has the same hole spacing but you're more likely to need new holes, yeah. You can fill the old ones but you'll have gaps in the wrap, unless the plate of your new mount has the same or larger footprint. Probably not an enormous concern for an old fixer-upper first learning kit, but worth considering I suppose. Or you could look at a rims mounting system and avoid holes altogether.

Overall it looks like a cool kit to play around with though, that wrap is wild.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I upgraded my drum throne from the cheapest PDP that GC sells to a nice Roland sculpted one. Big difference.
Similarly, I upgraded from the cheapest Yamaha kick pedal to a DW 5000 single yesterday. Again, big difference!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TotalLossBrain posted:

I upgraded my drum throne from the cheapest PDP that GC sells to a nice Roland sculpted one. Big difference.

The most important drum in your kit is the one that you sit on :redass: I recently lost my rehearsal space so I can't play at the moment, but my Pork Pie throne has been holding up for years now. Just a basic circular one. The only thing I've ever heard against sculpted seats is that it gives less support under your legs which can make certain styles of playing more difficult. Probably still a pretty personal choice though.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I am in love with that kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRVE_-th1EI

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cavs has gotten so loving good these last few years, he's one of my favorite drummers now.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

TheCondor posted:

So I bought these old ludwigs years ago for cheap.

If I can get them serviceable I want to learn how to play them since I finally have a good space to set up a whole kit. The main problem I see is the bottom bearing edges on the bass and toms don't look so good, they were pretty ratty to begin with and I doubt sitting unused in a basement helped any. I tried to get some pictures of the worst spots:

The top edges look significantly better, just a few small gaps but the spot in the second picture worries me:

Can those bottom edges be repaired? Should I just not bother and keep the resonator heads off/will that cause any problems if I'm just starting out?

Someone hacked this tab mount together at some point, I think they drilled some new holes to mount it up. I really don't like it, if I want to change this without drilling more holes am I stuck looking for used spare parts of whatever was on there originally?

Worse than the chewed up state of the bearing edges is the wood ply seems to be pulling apart. This is ultimately fatal once it progresses too far. You can absolutely learn to play on them as concert toms if the top edges are still fine. IF you know someone with a wood lathe and a chuck large enough to mount these you might be able to spin a 1/2 inch or so off of them, or just go to town with a file.

As far as mounting goes there are lots of options that don't require drills. Several manufacturers make mount systems that attach to the tuning lugs, Pearl's are probably the most common. You can also use cheap snare stands.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Pretty sick drum cover of Dragon off the new KGLW album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cioL-EOAhWk

I'd been wanting to get some double kick pedals for a while now, but this album has, uhh, kicked that desire into overdrive. Currently using a Tama dyna sync single pedal, but don't really want to drop the cash to swap that for a double. What do people like? DW 5000 seems like a pretty common choice and maybe easier to find used locally.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Pretty sick drum cover of Dragon off the new KGLW album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cioL-EOAhWk

I'd been wanting to get some double kick pedals for a while now, but this album has, uhh, kicked that desire into overdrive. Currently using a Tama dyna sync single pedal, but don't really want to drop the cash to swap that for a double. What do people like? DW 5000 seems like a pretty common choice and maybe easier to find used locally.

I have a Dyna Sync and I don’t think I’d use anything else at this point. Maaaybe a Yamaha FP 9 but that’s almost as pricey.

Not a fan of DW chain drives personally, feels very different than the Dyna Sync

Maybe check out a Speed Cobra?

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 24, 2023

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I'm this close to buying this kit. Anyone heard of it before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xahKBoPY42k

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I just recovered my drumkit from my parents' house after

fuk

thirteen years of living in places where I had no place to set them up and nobody to play with besides. anyway an inlaw musician has a spare room in his new place and we're going to try to see if we can make a Music or two

The shells look good, no delamination, but I've got weird poo poo missing like a couple rim clamps and probably could use a few new heads and such.

What are good online vendors these days? does lone star percussion still exist?

I'm also going to finally play the one (1) 8 inch splash cymbal that I was mistakenly sent out of the blue by some Amazon picker ten years ago.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 14, 2023

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Sweetwater is great. You can even email them questions they'll reply without it being a sales pitch.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Great. Also I see LSP closed down at the end of last year, boo to that.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

What are good online vendors these days? does lone star percussion still exist?

For the past day I've been wracking my brain to try to remember the company with King Kong playing a gong as a logo. I want to say they're based out of New York?

When I was regularly buying accessories and mallets and whatnot 15 years ago they were the best but fuuuuck I can't remember the company's name anymore!

E: HALLELUJAH I finally remembered. https://www.steveweissmusic.com/. Seems like they're still going strong!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Everyone pour out some fertilizer today for ex-Pavement drummer Gary Young, aka Plantman. If you haven't listened to this song several hundred times over the past few decades, you're doing it wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQiSgWGAc24

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
we did it. We played a Music.

I am essentially a non talented child at drumming now. The timidity... it's insane.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Just discovered something weird and cool about my playing.

Was recording a song in 3/4 @ 115bpm, and I do a little fill for the last two bars of each riff that’s a snare/cymbal hit each beat, and a fast double kick.

I was certain I was doing 6 kicks per beat, but looking at the midi surprised the poo poo out of me. Every single beat was a septuplet, spaced evenly. That means I was alternating feet on the ones and somehow not loving it up!

Then I went down a rabbit hole of septuplet patterns in drums, and seems like they’re not used too often. Gonna learn some as I love the push of it at slower speeds.

Slothful Bong fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 25, 2023

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Slothful Bong posted:

Just discovered something weird and cool about my playing.

Was recording a song in 3/4 @ 115bpm, and I do a little fill for the last two bars of each riff that’s a snare/cymbal hit each beat, and a fast double kick.

I was certain I was doing 6 kicks per beat, but looking at the midi surprised the poo poo out of me. Every single beat was a septuplet, spaced evenly. That means I was alternating feet on the ones and somehow not loving it up!

Then I went down a rabbit hole of septuplet patterns in drums, and seems like they’re not used too often. Gonna learn some as I love the push of it at slower speeds.

I can indeed confirm that septuplets are not at all common in most music. But I personally love 5-lets and 7-lets so I say let ‘em fly!

It takes a lot of musicians a lot of practice to get a consistent 5-let or septuplet so if it comes naturally to you I’d suggest leaning into it. Maybe even write a song using it prominently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

If you are looking to kill 45 minutes, this is a good vid. No running commentary, no annoying music or intros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0piiuDFfCo