Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Biolab combat mosquito joined the team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

What if girkin leads the next revolution

Lmfao

zone
Dec 6, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lmfao

Girkin isn't leading anything except in shitposting and bitching from his apartment. He has no influence in the halls of power, no money, and no loyalists among the army. At best he serves as the mouthpiece of the FSB when it comes to the goings on in the war at present.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

zone posted:

Girkin isn't leading anything except in shitposting and bitching from his apartment. He has no influence in the halls of power, no money, and no loyalists among the army. At best he serves as the mouthpiece of the FSB when it comes to the goings on in the war at present.

The key was the lmao at the end

But I also feel like girkin woulda been the guy to lead the fake false flag revolution. Not prigohzin.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

No its a stainless composite, and I do flip them but only once! I put them in and don't touch them at all until it's time to flip and at the same time I flip, i do another quick spray of oil down to get that nice sizzling sear on that side of the meat and let the juices distribute downward from there

e: yes I let it preheat to 400 because it'll cause a good sizzle but won't create smoke and helps you regulate the internal meat temp a bit easier because you don't have to account for induction cooking while it's preheating - invaluable if youre cooking two steaks at two different styles. My fiancee likes it rare, i like it medium-rare

Thanks! And Celsius next time please. Я не Америкос.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

spankmeister posted:

it’s like 200, that one is easy

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Hasn't there been a reassessment of Nevile Chamberlain from "naive appeaser" to someone whose actions are defensible in the context of preparing Britain for war? WW2 isn't my strong suit.

My understanding is that neither side was truly "ready" for war, but the Germans getting there quickly. Chamberlain definitely kept the UK preparing for war in the interim, but Czechoslovakia could probably have held out for awhile if Britain and France had chosen to intervene on their behalf. Even the invasion of Poland left the German Army in a vulnerable position supply-wise that could have been exploited had the Allies actually pressed into the Ruhr in earnest during the Phony War period.

In short, surrendering the modern Czechoslovakian forts without a fight, as well as tons of valuable Czech equipment, was a huge boon to the German war machine that probably outweighed the extra time for Britain and France.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

it’s like 200, that one is easy

Also, just google "400 f to c", takes 2 seconds.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Grammarchist posted:

In short, surrendering the modern Czechoslovakian forts without a fight, as well as tons of valuable Czech equipment, was a huge boon to the German war machine that probably outweighed the extra time for Britain and France.

The thing is appeasement at Munich wasn't a delaying tactic, Chamberlain at least, and the public, followed it because they believed it would avert war. There was no political mandate for war, and public opinion was decidedly against war, and in Britain also largely sympathetic to German resentment over Versailles and wanting to encompass areas with substantial german populations.

After Hitler broke the terms of the agreement and showed that appeasement hadn't and wouldn't work is when attitudes harden, Chamberlain in particular was furious and then vigorously set about pursuing rearmament, including tapping into American finance and production.To reiterate appeasement was not a delaying tactic to buy time, but when it failed it was largely understood that any further German aggression would be met with force and Britain and France accelerated rearmament programs towards this end.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 27, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Простите))

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lmfao

That would be quite a pickle.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Zathril posted:

That would be quite a pickle.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

It bears saying that Russia has such a derth of leadership, that people can just bandy around a silly far-right blogger as someone to lead. Even if it's just a joke.

Sort of like saying: what if Catturd2 could be the next president? But halfway serious.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Randarkman posted:

The thing is appeasement at Munich wasn't a delaying tactic, Chamberlain at least, and the public, followed it because they believed it would avert war. There was no political mandate for war, and public opinion was decidedly against war, and in Britain also largely sympathetic to German resentment over Versailles and wanting to encompass areas with substantial german populations.

After Hitler broke the terms of the agreement and showed that appeasement hadn't and wouldn't work is when attitudes harden, Chamberlain in particular was furious and then vigorously set about pursuing rearmament, including tapping into American finance and production.To reiterate appeasement was not a delaying tactic to buy time, but when it failed it was largely understood that any further German aggression would be met with force and Britain and France accelerated rearmament programs towards this end.

Yeah, in hindsight it's impossibly obvious that once the Nazis were in power they were only getting removed through violence and the sooner the better, whether it took the form of a German civil war, Austria and Italy vs Germany and Ethiopia, or Entente & Czechoslovakians vs the Germans and, well,

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah that’s a good summary. In retrospect yes UK, France, Poland, & Czechs should have dogpiled Germany...

Yeah... One can sympathize with wanting to be on the other side of a partition for once, but, well, they've certainly learned their lesson and lets leave it at that.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1673583861094137856
Into the prison you go, my lads.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Oldsmobile posted:

It bears saying that Russia has such a derth of leadership, that people can just bandy around a silly far-right blogger as someone to lead. Even if it's just a joke.

Sort of like saying: what if Catturd2 could be the next president? But halfway serious.

In fairness we did, uh, kind of do that. "Reality TV actor becomes president" was obviously absurd prior to 2016.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

zone posted:

Girkin isn't leading anything except in shitposting and bitching from his apartment.

Where is his apartment anyway? Gonna lol when it turns out to be next door to Gonzalo Lira's.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Zero VGS posted:

Where is his apartment anyway? Gonna lol when it turns out to be next door to Gonzalo Lira's.

He has an apartment in Moscow.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

zone posted:

He has an apartment in Moscow.

And he called Putin a loser? That does seem like Gonzalo-tier situational awareness.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
My theory is that Lukashenko figured out that Pergozin will give him better protection than Moscow because they're losing the war, and without support he'll be overthrown and executed. Having a really professional band of terrorists to squash any and all rebellion would be in his best interest*

*Until Pergozin wants to become President in name too

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ha, i always kinda assumed Girkin was posting from the separatist republics

kru
Oct 5, 2003

tiaz posted:

In fairness we did, uh, kind of do that. "Reality TV actor becomes president" was obviously absurd prior to 2016.

I dunno if this is a Reagan joke or not

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

HonorableTB posted:

There's also the Turtledove series where WW2 stops because aliens invade and humanity united to fight off the alien menace and it has Erwin Rommel commanding troops while riding as cavalry
worldwar. the entire series is on audible and i listened to it late last year. i like your characterization of it, it's not a good series of books, but it is a fun imagination exercise. the big problem with worldwar at least (i haven't read any of turtledove's other books) is that he does an absolutely terrible job of making you care about any characters. in most books, you see big events as they happen and you can get caught up not just in the external drama, but also the internal turmoil that the characters have. in worldwar, you are mostly shown big events from miles away, either figuratively because it's Jaeger blathering about the big fight yesterday to one of his tank crew or listening to Otto Skorzene recount some stupid bullshit he pulled, or literally because it's Mutt Daniels and he's watching a nuke go off from outside the blast zone.

there were exactly 2 characters in 4 books that made me feel anything, and the only one i felt any sympathy or empathy for was, ironically, an alien tank driver. Ussmak deserved better. :(

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 27, 2023

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1673605533733879809?s=20

MAKE UP YOUR loving MINDS!

Jesus. Clowncar country.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lmfao

I wouldn't write Girkin off. I mean the mere fact he is still alive after talking all the poo poo he does suggests a great deal of clout with someone. And there's no doubt that he one day will probably cash that in. He is likely to be even less successful than Prigozhin though, unless a truly remarkable collapse occurs.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

beer_war posted:

Jesus. Clowncar country.

The contradictions in Russian policy are reaching a critical mass.
It will not take too long for Putin to have to face the fact his neighbour Belarus he gave nukes is now sheltering a nazi traitor and possibly allowing Wagner to base its army there.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

beer_war posted:

Jesus. Clowncar country.

:lol:

Soooo Wagner itself are innocent and patriots, but many brave highways were dug up and pilots were lost, but the troops that were joining Wagner are traitors and Wagner led a terrible coup, but Wagner leaders will be allowed to leave for Belarus, but the Russian people that supported Wagner are the real patriots for resisting Wagner, and Wagner were good patriots who were just tricked by ??? :shepface:

Like I know the whole goal is just throw so much bullshit no one knows what is going on, but gently caress me does this idiot poo poo explain why for 24 hours a coup was going down and the Russian people collectively shrugged and went about their day. This poo poo is utterly goddamn stupid and mind breaking.

Like the level of galaxy brain you need to be on to even keep up with the moving parts is :psyduck: of who is supposedly loyal or traitorous or not. The loving Romulans in Star Trek would ask why is this so convoluted

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 27, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

beer_war posted:

Jesus. Clowncar country.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Autisanal Cheese posted:

I wouldn't write Girkin off. I mean the mere fact he is still alive after talking all the poo poo he does suggests a great deal of clout with someone. And there's no doubt that he one day will probably cash that in. He is likely to be even less successful than Prigozhin though, unless a truly remarkable collapse occurs.

He has an umbrella protecting him in the FSB, probably someone high up enough that he can't simply be punished for mouthing off without offending whoever his guarantor is. Probably also an oligarch with ties to the FSB as well.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What is the significance of sending russian troops on leave to belarus? I understand they are allied to putin, but why would they be sent there specifically?

Jippa fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 27, 2023

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jippa posted:

What is the significance of sending russian troops on leave to belarus? I understand they are allied to putin, but why would they be sent their specifically?

Because Luka has a very vulgar manly penis and it impressed Prig apparently enough to surrender

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Jippa posted:

What is the significance of sending russian troops on leave to belarus? I understand they are allied to putin, but why would they be sent there specifically?

Batka is secretly taking all Putin's toys. He's got his soldiers, his nukes and now his mercenaries. One day it will be Suprise Motherfucker! and Poot has nothing left.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

beer_war posted:

Jesus. Clowncar country.

:lol:
incredibly pathetic state that jails father of a girl that drew anti-war drawing in school and is too weak and corrupt to investigate armed insurrectionists that shot down several military airplanes

just showing to any future wannabe warlord that Putin is only strong enough to stop unarmed civilians

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 27, 2023

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Honestly just go the way of the UK pigs and say you don't investigate crimes retrospectively, if it's inconvenient

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

beer_war posted:

Jesus. Clowncar country.

NGL, at this point I'm kinda half-serious in wanting someone, anyone, to invade Russia, just to make things run according to logic. Yes, even China- I'm sure they would at least be able to set up a functioning dictatorship, instead of whatever kleptocratic clown mafia that's running Russia at the moment. gently caress, once this war is over, let's start arming the Mongols instead, fund a new Khan and have them take over.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

My man, it's really loving bad that this is the case, but we are in the situation where we do not have a choice. It's either allow one group of psychotic right wing imperialists rewrite national borders and carry out purges, or prop up another set of ethnonationalists who will use their successful prosecution of a Just War to rise to political prominence.

The least you, and the rest of this stupid loving thread could do, is not celebrate death and bloodshed and buy into some of the worse loving narratives amongst the Ukrainian Right (like Ukraine fighting off hordes of Orks) and pretend there are no Nazis amongst the Ukrainians. After all, talk is Cheap.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Quoting just because lol and lmao

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Does Prig want to be the King of Heaven (Russia), would he settle for Hell (Belrus) or does he just want to be rich and powerful?

Like, what does he actually want in life?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Comstar posted:

Does Prig want to be the King of Heaven (Russia), would he settle for Hell (Belrus) or does he just want to be rich and powerful?

Like, what does he actually want in life?
To crush his enemies, see them driven before him, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

He probably wanted money and influence, but currently he just wants to have pure tea, clean door handles, clean underpants and skull without any additional holes.

Edit, in other news:

Ukrainians are deliberately running their Leopards over mines because... they're afraid they will be destroyed? When your copium is so convoluted and stupid that even fellow propagandists call you out on it.
https://twitter.com/TheKremlinYap/status/1673616034555736064

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
This must be the new 'all donated Javelins and Stingers were sold on the black market' line of propaganda.