Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Anyone else ever noticed that for a peaceful, cooperative organization that promotes peace and enlightenment, the Federation sure is in and wins a lot of wars and military operations?

The Federation is that old, retired gunslinger that is reluctant to use his skills but when push comes to shove will gun down entire gangs to save the town.

The Federation is surrounded on pretty much all sides by multiple flavors of violent empires. It makes perfect sense that they'd get pretty good at ending wars when almost all of their neighbors like to start poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

To maintain peace you must prepare for war.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Arivia posted:

It’s a show written by Americans for an American audience.

Pretty rad, right?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

8one6 posted:

The Federation is that old, retired gunslinger that is reluctant to use his skills but when push comes to shove will gun down entire gangs to save the town.

The Federation is surrounded on pretty much all sides by multiple flavors of violent empires. It makes perfect sense that they'd get pretty good at ending wars when almost all of their neighbors like to start poo poo.

Space CIA starts the wars with Klingons and Romulans to drum up public support for the poor defenseless Federation who strategically only has one ship within 6 days reach, while also causing mass casualties for the opposing side.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
All of these are acceptable reasons, but at the same time I wish the aliens would lean into anti-Federation propaganda more than they do. I know it happens sometimes where an ambassador or alien captain will call out the hypocrisy of Federation values versus how they act, but it almost feels like it should be a central theme of the show, especially as more series lean into "pew pew pew lasers" over "scan scan scan science".

Like, Wrath of Khan works so well for me and is so much better than Into Darkness because it's not about the Federation. It's about Kirk. There's no war here, no border disputes or conflict of interests between factions expanding into one another. There's no grand conspiracy that will shake stability in the Quadrant or wipe out all sentient life. It's just a space grudge that has far reaching implications, but isn't explicitly an existential threat.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Anyone else ever noticed that for a peaceful, cooperative organization that promotes peace and enlightenment, the Federation sure is in and wins a lot of wars and military operations?

Given that all their neighbors are expansionist militaristic empires, and despite that they maintained peace with the Romulan Empire for more than two hundred years and were apparently only at war with the Klingon Empire in two very brief conflicts, I think the Federation deserves some credit for keeping the peace.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

DaveWoo posted:

Just finished the Kira/Dukat episode early in Season 4 and... I dunno, this kinder, gentler version of Dukat isn't really working for me.

Edit: Just started the next episode - I think I remember there being a fair bit of controversy when this one first aired.

He's pretty much masking, although he's not realised it yet. He has a delusion of being a noble person, and doesn't understand why other people don't share it because of possibly being a genuine narcissist. Kira just refuses to let him sell her that illusion. At least that's how I read it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Federation Charter is not a suicide pact. It was originally founded as basically a Space NATO of five worlds at war with the Romulans who realized they had to combine resources or get conquered. And thus, Starfleet's peaceful exploration ships have enough firepower to glass a planet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also it's implied that the Federation is much larger than their enemies in those wars. If they'd maintained US-level military the wars would've been over instantly, but as is they keep their defence level relatively low, which is still enough to handily win.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
In Gul Dukat voice: Diplomacy enforced by a starship that can glass a planet is hardly diplomacy at all. Would you agree, commander? He's just incredibly jealous.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh please anyone can glass half a planet.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The shows rarely ever gave us a proper demonstration of how powerful 24th century tech could be, or how superior the Federation is to most of its neighbors. One good example is The Wounded when the USS Phoenix goes rogue and shits all over the Cardassian ships trying to stop it. Or for a slightly dumber example, the Voyager episode where the Prometheus obliterates a D'Deridex.

The scene in The Die is Cast also comes to mind, where the 20-ship Romulan/Cardassian fleet bombards the planet and destroys 30% of the planetary crust in a single volley, before they find out the Dominion is the biggest shark in the water.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

FuturePastNow posted:

The scene in The Die is Cast also comes to mind, where the 20-ship Romulan/Cardassian fleet bombards the planet and destroys 30% of the planetary crust in a single volley, before they find out the Dominion is the biggest shark in the water.

That was loving hilarious.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Atlas Hugged posted:

That was loving hilarious.

It's an amazing scene. The moment they realize they are completely hosed.

quote:

PILOT: The first barrage has hit the surface...

TAIN: Effect?

PILOT: Thirty percent of the planetary crust destroyed on opening volley... No change in lifeform readings.

TAIN: What? That's impossible. Some of them had to be killed.

PILOT: Our sensor readings have been confirmed by three other warbirds. There has been no change in the number of life-signs on the surface.

GARAK: It's a ruse. They're using an automated transponder to send back false sensor readings. The planet's deserted.

TAIN: Colonel, signal the fleet to --

PILOT: Colonel -- there are ships coming out of the nebula.

LOVOK: What type of ships?

PILOT: Jem'Hadar fighters.

TAIN: How many?

The pilot looks at her console, then reacts in shock.

TAIN: I asked you a question.

PILOT: One hundred fifty.

There's an earlier scene in that episode where they discuss the plan, which includes this detail:

quote:

TAIN (to Garak): Our plan is to wait until we've entered orbit of the Founders' planet, then decloak and begin a massive bombardment.

LOVOK: Computer analysis indicates that the planet's crust will be destroyed within one hour, and the mantle within five.

Destroy the mantle of a planet in five hours? No problem!

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Hasn't it been shown that the Federation tends to do badly in any war against the Klingons though?
Yesterday's Enterprise comes to mind, and the Klingon war arc in DS9. And that's not even counting Disco.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Hasn't it been shown that the Federation tends to do badly in any war against the Klingons though?
Yesterday's Enterprise comes to mind, and the Klingon war arc in DS9. And that's not even counting Disco.

It's been a while, but I seem to recall the Federation-Klingon war in DS9 essentially reaching a stalemate and the cease-fire happened after the Martok changeling was revealed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

The shows rarely ever gave us a proper demonstration of how powerful 24th century tech could be, or how superior the Federation is to most of its neighbors. One good example is The Wounded when the USS Phoenix goes rogue and shits all over the Cardassian ships trying to stop it. Or for a slightly dumber example, the Voyager episode where the Prometheus obliterates a D'Deridex.

Lol if one fast rock hitting a planet causes a million years extinction event, what does sci-fi blasts obliterating 30% of the crust do?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Timby posted:

It's been a while, but I seem to recall the Federation-Klingon war in DS9 essentially reaching a stalemate and the cease-fire happened after the Martok changeling was revealed.

Yeah, the Klingons kicked their asses in the opening waves of the war but that was basically preparation and first strike advantage and it didn't last long enough for anything else. The war never really had a chance to move past the initial stages because the Federation got Martok exposed pretty quickly.

FuturePastNow posted:

The shows rarely ever gave us a proper demonstration of how powerful 24th century tech could be, or how superior the Federation is to most of its neighbors. One good example is The Wounded when the USS Phoenix goes rogue and shits all over the Cardassian ships trying to stop it.

It was always implied that the Cardiassians were hilariously outmatched by the Federation in the big picture and the only reason the Federation didn't completely stomp them was a lack of will on the Federation's side to go to full war footing.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 26, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
OK the Defiant firing on a Klingon Bird of Prey and it doing summersaults is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen in a Trek show.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

Or for a slightly dumber example, the Voyager episode where the Prometheus obliterates a D'Deridex.

This episode never fails to make me laugh, though.

“The secondary gyrodyne relays in the propulsion field inter-matrix have depolarized."
"In English!"
"I'm just reading what it says here!"

“You hit the wrong ship!"
"It wasn't my fault!"
"Well, then whose fault was it, the torpedo's?! You're supposed to tell it what to do!"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Quark and Garak comparing the Federation to root beer is such a nice little exchange. One of my favorites so far.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Now I'm wondering what Earth's government is called. I mean, each Federation member world has its own government, they're also just members of the Federation. But I don't think it's ever explicitly mentioned that Earth and the human polity has an actual government.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think the Federation president and Council are also the defacto government of Earth, since that's where it's located.
For instance during the DS9 episode where Red Squad try to stage a coup on Earth, we see the Federation president but I don't recall them ever mentioning an Earth president or government.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

V-Men posted:

Now I'm wondering what Earth's government is called. I mean, each Federation member world has its own government, they're also just members of the Federation. But I don't think it's ever explicitly mentioned that Earth and the human polity has an actual government.

It’s just called United Earth. Has a notable space probe agency

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Homeland badmiral was probably pretty smug after the invasion of Betazed and death tolls approaching billions.

Honestly post-Dominion war it's malpractice for the Federation to keep pushing this idea of peaceful exploration over public safety and security. Like how many times has humanity almost been wiped out, and that's just on the handful of ships that we've seen. Set that post-scarcity manufacturing base to "kill".

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I guess it'd be like if the United States government and the UN swapped importance.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

V-Men posted:

United Earth

This is their emblem during Enterprise and in the early days of the Federation through to discovery

This seemed to be their flag during TUC, they also used use just the 'sun-over-planet' as an emblem.

In the 24th they've switched back to the old logo but without the squashy map

In the 32nd century after Earth and Titan reestablish peaceful contact they apparently federate as 'United Earth and Titan' and seem to rejoin the Federation under that name at the end of S4.

The logo used in ENT actually fell out some earth-in-a-wreath logos we saw in early TOS before the Federation was established. Enterprise basically retconned that to be a UE logo.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 26, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Starship Down is an absolute highlight of the series so far. I love me a good submarine episode.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Starship Down and Civil Defense are way up there as my favorite episodes of DS9. Maybe not the BEST, but everybody has a plot, tons of great interactions, terrific stories, they rule.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I just rewatched the DS9 episode of Lower Decks and it makes so much more sense now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
it's tuvix time!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, the Klingons kicked their asses in the opening waves of the war but that was basically preparation and first strike advantage and it didn't last long enough for anything else. The war never really had a chance to move past the initial stages because the Federation got Martok exposed pretty quickly.

It was always implied that the Cardiassians were hilariously outmatched by the Federation in the big picture and the only reason the Federation didn't completely stomp them was a lack of will on the Federation's side to go to full war footing.

The Federation seems matched by, and maybe even slightly outgunned by the Romulans and the Breen. However, both of those species dislike direct conflict, which actually makes a lot of sense considering the scale of destruction wrought by even a single vessel.

The Klingons seem to be a bit weaker than the federation in the TNG/DS9 era. The Klingons that are upset about the peace have somewhat of a point, in that regard. They make up for that by their enthusiasm, and actually being good at fighting when not lead by idiots.

The Cardasssians seem a match for the Klingons in firepower and cruelty, but not so tactically. The Federation-Cardasssian war having lasted as long is a bit of a mystery, but I think it is implied that multiple truces and peace attempts by the Federation were exploited by the Cardasssians. They're an empire in decline, if not broken.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 27, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

thotsky posted:

The Federation-Cardasssian war having lasted as long is a bit of a mystery, but I think it is implied that multiple truces and peace attempts by the Federation were exploited by the Cardasssians. They're an empire in decline, if not broken.

I think it's also implied that the Cardassians put a lot of resources into the war and it was their main focus where as for the federation it was just one of many boarder conflict that if you have boarders as big as the Federation you just have to sometimes deal with.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I think the Federation president and Council are also the defacto government of Earth, since that's where it's located.
For instance during the DS9 episode where Red Squad try to stage a coup on Earth, we see the Federation president but I don't recall them ever mentioning an Earth president or government.

The early drafts of Homefront apparently went into more detail about how much authority the Federation president has over Earth and mentioned United Earth, but it was all cut for time and to streamline the story.

It's kinda funny that, after so many episodes, we still don't really know anything about how the Federation government works - there's never been an episode that's established how the Federation council or the president is elected, or what sort of authority they have over member worlds.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

dr_rat posted:

I think it's also implied that the Cardassians put a lot of resources into the war and it was their main focus where as for the federation it was just one of many boarder conflict that if you have boarders as big as the Federation you just have to sometimes deal with.

The Federation suffered plenty of losses, most of the captains we follow took part in the conflict, and Statrfleet Command is very invested in making the treaty work, so it's not like it was a small deal, but the fallout seems to be that the Cardasssians are bloodied, counting their blessings with how things shook out, but essentially unbowed. Maybe a kind of what-if the war in the pacific ended with a truce rather than the occupation of Japan.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

It's kinda funny that, after so many episodes, we still don't really know anything about how the Federation government works - there's never been an episode that's established how the Federation council or the president is elected, or what sort of authority they have over member worlds.

I think this is the reason that when the old novel continuity did a book about the newly elected President (because the author wanted to do The West Wing In Space), it was actually a surprise hit and turned her into one of the more popular recurring characters for a while. People were just happy to see anything about the Federation political structure.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angry Salami posted:

Honestly, I kinda prefer that. This is a superior future political system, let's not have writers throw in a lazy copy of the american political system, let's just let it be something we don't need to get into but that future experts smarter than any of us designed.

thotsky posted:

The Federation seems matched by, and maybe even slightly outgunned by the Romulans and the Breen. However, both of those species dislike direct conflict, which actually makes a lot of sense considering the scale of destruction wrought by even a single vessel.

Eh, I always got the impression that the Romulans were never anywhere near going to win in an outright firefight war - they were the civilisation closest to the Federation tech-wise and with powerful ships, but they aren't big enough as an empire to have defeated the Federation. Which is why they're often working to undermine and weaken them. But with high-tech cloaking ships they could do so much damage that it's not something the Federation would ever be willing to go at.

I don't know that the Breen were anywhere near equal to the Federation in power - when they entered the war, they tipped the scales pretty heavily (although a lot of that was because of their special weapon) but they didn't have so much of an effect that it's like they could've taken the Federation solo. It seems like it's probably another case where they're technologically equal and highly militarised, but their civilisation isn't large enough to directly outgun the Federation.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 27, 2023

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

disaster pastor posted:

I think this is the reason that when the old novel continuity did a book about the newly elected President (because the author wanted to do The West Wing In Space), it was actually a surprise hit and turned her into one of the more popular recurring characters for a while. People were just happy to see anything about the Federation political structure.

Lol "West Wing in Star Trek" was like catnip to high-school-age me, I loved that book.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Yeah, the federation seems to be larger than most of the other empires, possibly quite a bit larger, but Starfleet is not really a standing army and I don't think its military might is proportional to the size of the Federation. I think we can assume the Federation is unwilling to be on war footing unless the threat is existential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, Starfleet should be maintaining a military reserve fleet.