Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Trying to expand my understanding of different classes, and wanted to make sure I'm reading the Alchemist rules correctly.

1- I end up with 8 alchemy recipes at the end of first level, 4 for the Alchemical Crafting feat, 2 free with the formula book I get, and 2 that come with my research field

2- At character creation, assuming I have an Int bonus of +4, I get 5 Infused Reagents a day. Each Infused Reagent can be used w/ Advanced Alchemy to create 2 temporary alchemical items that last a day, but I can effectively refresh every day. I'm assuming this is the way to balance between Alchemists having infinite items or having to burn all their treasure on stocking their bombs?

3- As such, I could have a starting loadout of 6 alchemical fires, 2 elixirs of life, and 2 of whatever (mutagens, antidotes, etc)

4- My bomb throwing skill is based of Dex, so having that at +3 is the best I can start with, and a total attack modifier of +6 ? I'm sort of relying on pathbuilder for that number and I'm not 100% sure where it's coming from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The +6 is based from your stat (dex), as well as your proficiency bonus, which, at level 1, would be 3 total. Proficiency is your level (1) plus a certain number depending on your proficiency rank (Alchemists start at trained for bombs, which is +2).

Therefore, 3 from dex, 3 from proficiency equals six.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Trying to expand my understanding of different classes, and wanted to make sure I'm reading the Alchemist rules correctly.

1- I end up with 8 alchemy recipes at the end of first level, 4 for the Alchemical Crafting feat, 2 free with the formula book I get, and 2 that come with my research field

2- At character creation, assuming I have an Int bonus of +4, I get 5 Infused Reagents a day. Each Infused Reagent can be used w/ Advanced Alchemy to create 2 temporary alchemical items that last a day, but I can effectively refresh every day. I'm assuming this is the way to balance between Alchemists having infinite items or having to burn all their treasure on stocking their bombs?

3- As such, I could have a starting loadout of 6 alchemical fires, 2 elixirs of life, and 2 of whatever (mutagens, antidotes, etc)

4- My bomb throwing skill is based of Dex, so having that at +3 is the best I can start with, and a total attack modifier of +6 ? I'm sort of relying on pathbuilder for that number and I'm not 100% sure where it's coming from

1) You might have missed that the 2 that come from your research field are 'signature' items.

2) Basically. Just keep in mind you can save some of those daily infusions to use with Quick Alchemy during the day.

3) You can prepare 3 signature items with a single infusion instead of the normal 2.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

gracias

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
If it helps, think of the infused items as, effectively, "spell slots", alchemist style.

If you prepare them in advance, like a Wizard, your slots are worth 2 'spells', and 3 'spells' if they're signature items.

If you don't prepare in advance, and select them on the spot, like a sorcerer, each slot is worth 1 'spell' - but at later levels, you can take feats that are effectively 'metamagic' for your alchemist 'spells' and which only work when used this way.

Separately, you can use the normal downtime crafting rules to make regular, permanent, and not infused versions of the same items you know formulae for. Think of this as, essentially, the Alchemist's answer to scribing 'scrolls' of their 'spells'.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Chevy Slyme posted:

If it helps, think of the infused items as, effectively, "spell slots", alchemist style.

If you prepare them in advance, like a Wizard, your slots are worth 2 'spells', and 3 'spells' if they're signature items.

If you don't prepare in advance, and select them on the spot, like a sorcerer, each slot is worth 1 'spell' - but at later levels, you can take feats that are effectively 'metamagic' for your alchemist 'spells' and which only work when used this way.

Separately, you can use the normal downtime crafting rules to make regular, permanent, and not infused versions of the same items you know formulae for. Think of this as, essentially, the Alchemist's answer to scribing 'scrolls' of their 'spells'.

That helps a ton

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
having just survived level 1-2 as alchemist i would suggest that you don't try saving reagents for quick alchemy yet, you just don't get enough to make it through a day without running out of tools and being very sad about how awful your chassis is

imo don't waste your time with minor elixirs of life, they're terrible and your reagents are precious. elixirs of life get ok later on with higher versions, but the minor ones are very bad; a pack of cantrip cards of stabilize will do far more than you can with them (or antidote if you know for a fact you're going into a fromsoft poison swamp makes a much better buff). minor mutagens suffer from a similar problem, their duration is obnoxiously short enough its hard to use them to pre-buff and there's no Quick Bomber equivalent to use them in combat. every time i spent reagents on minor mutagens or elixirs of life they felt completely wasted (albeit i'm not playing a mutagenist, they almost certainly want to make at least a couple because the free action to activate one they drank earlier gets around the duration problem). mutagens are fine by level 3, because they get 10 minute duration so you can even get multiple encounters out of one if your party doesn't need to stop to Treat Wounds

alchemist fire is alright but bottled lightning is my bet for most widely useful standard bomb as flat-footed is always great no matter the target and against anything alive the skunk bomb is fantastic to the point of OP at level 1 (hell, even when i played a wizard my most OP move at level 1 was summoning a skunk to use its attack, and that's a 3 action spell i could do a couple times a day, a level 1 alchemist could pack 4 or 6 skunk bombs easy)

don't worry about your signature field yet, they don't diverge much until you get field research and by then the problems with elixirs of life and mutagens are gone (hell, you can even make an auto-injector for mutagens by then)

e: also, don't forget that alchemical bombs are just martial weapons. if you have dex based martials (or a fighter with any dex at all) on your team they can make good use of them. the only thing better than turn 1 bottled lightning or skunk bomb is turn 1 both (and ofc, if you go with a couple doses of giant centipede venom its always going to be more effective on whatever weapon your fighter is wielding than your own)

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 24, 2023

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Meanwhile I just unga bunga and power attack with my halberd :cool:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Mutagen alchemist is fun but at level 1 - 3 you're just a underpowered martial and it's an absolute slog. Plus if you don't like being the party favor handler and handing out goodies then you're really going to be cross.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Right now I'm looking at the bomber archetype for my alchemist. I'm playing in Pathfinder Society organized play, and the 1-4 adventures thus far feel pretty tuned to "provide a straightforward adventure for folks to get their feet wet in the world of TTRPG"

I have a wrestling-focused fighter and an angelic sorcerer, and figure I'd round out my available troupe with a ranged damage dealer for nights where the table ends up being short on that.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Looking at the changelog, it seems like there is support for Foundry v11 for Pathfinder 2e. Has anyone tried upgrading yet? Did it break everything?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

VikingofRock posted:

Looking at the changelog, it seems like there is support for Foundry v11 for Pathfinder 2e. Has anyone tried upgrading yet? Did it break everything?

I'll give it a shot and report back.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

VikingofRock posted:

The pf2e foundry discord (a great resource) says it’s in beta and I’m not willing to trust my players’ game to a beta.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
We're playing a one-shot tomorrow with characters starting at level 3, I rolled an Alchemist Bomber and after I got done with the basics I'm left with 59 gold to spend however I want in prep. Any tips on cool stuff to spend it on? I'm deliberately not going with the Alchemical Crossbow since I feel like swapping between 1 and 2 hands constantly is probably not worth it in the long run, and I have Wizard free archetype for extra ranged options if I can't use bombs.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

VikingofRock posted:

Updated on my local version but not on Forge yet. Most modules work as expected. the PDF parser doesn't work yet. Everything seems functional. I haven't noticed too much difference.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah so far so good on mine, I run a dockerized version on a local server. I run pretty light on mods, but everything seems to be working ok.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Clerical Terrors posted:

I'm deliberately not going with the Alchemical Crossbow since I feel like swapping between 1 and 2 hands constantly is probably not worth it in the long run, and I have Wizard free archetype for extra ranged options if I can't use bombs.

It isn't that bad. Reloading a weapon automatically puts both hands on it, just make sure it isn't loaded when you throw bombs.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Gonna be playing a pathfinder campaign and my idea for a build was a rogue thief that tries to fight nonlethally. I don't want to gimp my lethal options too much, it's mostly flavor. What are some good ideas for feats etc and the build?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

dex_sda posted:

Gonna be playing a pathfinder campaign and my idea for a build was a rogue thief that tries to fight nonlethally. I don't want to gimp my lethal options too much, it's mostly flavor. What are some good ideas for feats etc and the build?

https://2e.aonprd.com/Traits.aspx?ID=188

Thematically a sap would be perfect for a rogue! Or just punch mans.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Jarvisi posted:

https://2e.aonprd.com/Traits.aspx?ID=188

Thematically a sap would be perfect for a rogue! Or just punch mans.

Rogue comes trained with the sap and unarmed attacks as standard, too.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Yeah! Non-lethal weapons would be the easiest step. If you want to help out your party without directly doing damage or set up sneak attacks even easier for yourself, the Ruffian racket might be a nice alternative! Because Ruffians key of strength, you can easily go for athletics to trip or grab opponents with your free hand while bonking them with your sap. Add in a splash of intimidation and you'll be able to help out in a lot of ways without doing damage yourself.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Could also take a dedication in a fitting Archetype, like Monk, Martial Artist, Weapon Improviser, Wrestler.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Megazver posted:

Could also take a dedication in a fitting Archetype, like Monk, Martial Artist, Weapon Improviser, Wrestler.

Bounty Hunter archetype gives access to Tools Of The Trade at level 4, which removes the nonlethal penalty for all weapons.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

A nonlethal parkour guy brawler sounds quite fun but I do prefer the Thief archetype. Might just take the subpar strength and roll with it.

Nonlethal damage seems to be the same as lethal damage except it heals faster (rarely a problem) and of course a big difference when it hits 0. Or am I off base here.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 27, 2023

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

dex_sda posted:

A nonlethal parkour guy brawler sounds quite fun but I do prefer the Thief archetype. Might just take the subpar strength and roll with it.

Nonlethal damage seems to be the same as lethal damage except it heals faster (rarely a problem) and of course a big difference when it hits 0. Or am I off base here.

Mostly true, but also some enemies are explicitly immune to nonlethal (undead and constructs come to kind), so be ready with something else.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah I'll have a rapier or something for emergencies or people who really need to get got.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

There's a question: if you have a weapon that deals nonlethal damage, is there a way to deliver lethal damage with it? In the real world if you hit someone enough times with a sap they die. Feels like there's room for a homebrew where you can do lethal damage but with a penalty to hit as you're having to aim a lot more carefully.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Lamuella posted:

There's a question: if you have a weapon that deals nonlethal damage, is there a way to deliver lethal damage with it? In the real world if you hit someone enough times with a sap they die. Feels like there's room for a homebrew where you can do lethal damage but with a penalty to hit as you're having to aim a lot more carefully.

The Nonlethal trait already has that baked in.

quote:

An effect with this trait is not inherently deadly. Damage from a nonlethal effect knocks a creature out rather than killing it. You can use a nonlethal weapon to make a lethal attack with a –2 circumstance penalty.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

dex_sda posted:

Yeah I'll have a rapier or something for emergencies or people who really need to get got.

Since you'd need to keep multiple weapons invested with runes and poo poo and since switching between weapons is a hassle in PF2e, it might be easier to learn a feat that lets you do lethal/nonlethal as you choose without penalties.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Megazver posted:

Since you'd need to keep multiple weapons invested with runes and poo poo and since switching between weapons is a hassle in PF2e, it might be easier to learn a feat that lets you do lethal/nonlethal as you choose without penalties.

What kind of a feat would that be?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

dex_sda posted:

What kind of a feat would that be?

As mentioned above, Tools of the Trade for the Bounty Hunter. With this you could probably use whatever lethal weapon you want (chainsaw, cough) nonlethally.

https://2e.aonprd.com/Feats.aspx?ID=1915

quote:

You're well-versed in weapons that allow you to bring bounties in alive. You are trained with the following weapons: bola, sap, and whip. You gain access to bolas. Whenever you gain a class feature that grants you expert or greater proficiency in a given weapon or weapons, you also gain that proficiency in the weapons listed.

In addition, you take no penalty when making a nonlethal attack with a weapon without the nonlethal trait.

There are probably more, I don't have an exhaustive knowledge of the entire corpus of PF2e Feats.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Alternatively, the monk or martial artist archetype will give you a 1d6 attack that can be lethal or nonlethal for no penalty as your first feat and you can pick up a stance for a better unarmed strike at level 4, there are a bunch of good options there.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Piell posted:

Alternatively, the monk or martial artist archetype will give you a 1d6 attack that can be lethal or nonlethal for no penalty as your first feat and you can pick up a stance for a better unarmed strike at level 4, there are a bunch of good options there.

This seems like a pretty legit idea.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
There's also the Merciful rune for later, if you want a nonlethal weapon but dislike the aesthetics of just hitting people with a sap.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

dex_sda posted:

This seems like a pretty legit idea.

It also eventually gives you access to flurry of blows, which is really drat good on a rogue with opportune backstab and preparation.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Hey everyone, I'm doing my very first tabletop and very first pathfinder. I've been doing CRPG D&D for decades now so it's not like I'm inexperienced. Really looking forward to it. I'm going to be running a sword and board Fighter with warfare lore who focuses on intimidate, crafting (quick repair is gonna be a godsend) and athletics for the most part. Party is two fighters, a wizard, and a cleric.

We are beginning our first session of Ruins of Azlant tomorrow. I'm really excited and am coming here for some advice.

I want to reiterate. I do not want outright spoilers or potentially game-breaking knowledge. I'm not afraid of a total party wipe anything like that. We're all slaves to dice. But anything to think about, perk picks to potentially really avoid or would be useful (but not spoiler territory. Obviously, water based stuff is -not- a spoiler) for the campaign would be appreciated. I'm thinking that Underwater Marauder by level 8 is definitely gonna be a thing at least.

Fighter stuff: Combat assessment seems like a pretty strong perk, and "unfortunately" I picked exacting strike instead. I'm thinking of retraining to it the first moment I can. Has anyone gotten any milage out of it?

Also how many shields should I be lugging around in general? Toughness early or later?

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 28, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Are you sure you’re playing Ruins of Azlant? That was an adventure path for Pathfinder 1e, so either you’re mixed up or your GM is using a conversion of some kind, in which case people aren’t guaranteed to be able to give you helpful advice.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Arivia posted:

Are you sure you’re playing Ruins of Azlant? That was an adventure path for Pathfinder 1e, so either you’re mixed up or your GM is using a conversion of some kind, in which case people aren’t guaranteed to be able to give you helpful advice.

Yeah sorry to clarify, it's Ruins of Azlant but converted to 2E.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay so the things that immediately come to mind are to keep Athletics as high as possible at all times, since swimming and underwater hazards are going to be a big part of things as you mentioned.

Pathfinder 2e is tough, especially at low levels. Play smart - with two fighters, there’s no reason for only one of you to be jumping right in and tanking everything. On a related note, making an attack with all three actions you have in one round is almost never worth it. Conversely take Toughness right now, the extra tankiness will help a lot.

Your shield is unlikely to be what stops an adventuring day. I personally wouldn’t bother carrying more than one, maybe a second if you’re really worried.

e: also to be clear in case I came off badly, nothing wrong with doing ruins of azlant in 2e. Since you mentioned you were new I just wanted to make sure you were asking for the right advice so we wouldn’t mess you up.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Unless your GM is really good and has ran a lot of Pathfinder 2e I would be very leery of homebrew, especially if they have a lot of background in other sloppier (mathwise) systems.

I hope they understand and trust the encounter guidelines in the GM Guide because the #1 New To Pathfinder 2e horror story is "my GM decided to create encounters based on their prior assumptions from other systems and now we're all dead". One level + 4 guy is way deadlier than 4 equal level guys, that kind of thing.