Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Little Green Men was a lot of fun, but there was something very very odd about the makeup. They looked patchy and pasty and you could see the lines where the prosthetics met the face.

Not sure what was up with that. Maybe the close-ups? I dunno because Nog looked weird on the station too so maybe just something with how they filmed this one episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, Starfleet should be maintaining a military reserve fleet.

They do, it's called Starfleet!!

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So member species of the Federation have their own fleets, with the exception of humans because of Star Fleet. Do those fleets ever get involved in wars?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Some member species have their own fleets. It seems like it's up to individual planets how much they want Starfleet to handle things and if they want to maintain their own stuff.

That said, I doubt they have war-ready stuff past any additional local system defense. Exploratory ships like the Vulcan science ship we saw in LDS have self-defense weapons and capability, but they didn't seem to have much more than that. It's likely expected of members that international relations be under the aegis of the Federation and proper projected military power be the province of Starfleet.

(And if having their own science ships count, we've seen humans running their own civilian ships too - both demilitarised oberths, and non-starfleet ones like the Raven. Although the Raven looked very Starfleet, that's probably just because of all the cross-pollination of designs in Sol)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 27, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Bashir was totally going to gently caress that hologram.

Glad they also covered holodeck law.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

MikeJF posted:

(And if having their own science ships count, we've seen humans running their own civilian ships too - both demilitarised oberths, and non-starfleet ones like the Raven. Although the Raven looked very Starfleet, that's probably just because of all the cross-pollination of designs in Sol)

I think thread cannon is that LCARS is open source on GitHub, so anyone in the federation can fork it and install it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Halfway through ENT s3 and I think I've solved the Archer problem: Scott Bakula is horribly miscast. Bakula is an extremely nice guy, he can only radiate nice guy vibes. He'd've been a wonderful chill, nurturing Picard-style captain but instead he's an throw-em-in-an-airlock, withhold-the-pain-medicine Sisko-style captain. Bakula cannot sell "I'm am doing what must be done" at all.

They also shouldn't have put in my mind the idea of a series where Keith Carradine is captain of NX-01, because he can pull off that style of captain.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

The Federation Charter is not a suicide pact. It was originally founded as basically a Space NATO of five worlds at war with the Romulans who realized they had to combine resources or get conquered. And thus, Starfleet's peaceful exploration ships have enough firepower to glass a planet.

Considering the types of assholes they keep constantly encountering while doing peaceful exploration missions, that's just mission requirement.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, I kinda prefer that. This is a superior future political system, let's not have writers throw in a lazy copy of the american political system, let's just let it be something we don't need to get into but that future experts smarter than any of us designed.

There's a problem with that: there's nothing smarter than anyone has already designed. There's not a whole lot of combinations of how to make a government work and most of them are clearly right out the window based on everything else that's been mentioned in the show (there being an explicit president rules out a parliamentary system, etc.). There's a strong central figure or there isn't. People elect representation or they don't. And so on and so on.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Sash! posted:

There's a problem with that: there's nothing smarter than anyone has already designed. There's not a whole lot of combinations of how to make a government work and most of them are clearly right out the window based on everything else that's been mentioned in the show (there being an explicit president rules out a parliamentary system, etc.). There's a strong central figure or there isn't. People elect representation or they don't. And so on and so on.

There are countries that have both a president as head of state and a prime minister as head of the legislature, like Italy, though I imagine Italy is probably not the country you'd want to look to for models on how to build a stable, representative federal republic

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The federation Althing.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

zoux posted:

Halfway through ENT s3 and I think I've solved the Archer problem: Scott Bakula is horribly miscast. Bakula is an extremely nice guy, he can only radiate nice guy vibes. He'd've been a wonderful chill, nurturing Picard-style captain but instead he's an throw-em-in-an-airlock, withhold-the-pain-medicine Sisko-style captain. Bakula cannot sell "I'm am doing what must be done" at all.

They also shouldn't have put in my mind the idea of a series where Keith Carradine is captain of NX-01, because he can pull off that style of captain.

I firmly believe Trip Tucker and Jonathan Archer should have switched actors from day one. No other changes necessary.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

They also should have kept original concept of the true grit space trucker Mayweather instead of hiring that cheese cake who could barely act.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think the whole empire power level thing is being influenced by the one race, one planet, one empire (and one climate) thing that sci fi often does. Like, the Klingon empire is all Klingons from Qonos or if you're lucky from some subordinate colony. There are no other species or centres of power, just a monolithic empire. So because the Federation manages to have multiple species and planets (mostly off screen), they must be bigger.
It's kinda boring too, having more complex antagonists would really add to the setting, just like the DS9 exploration of Klingon society did.

Also the worst example is the religion exhibition in Babylon 5 where the aliens show off their unified planetary religion, and the humans pull out a whole bunch of different Earth religions because of course we are so complex and the aliens would never be.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

They also should have kept original concept of the true grit space trucker Mayweather instead of hiring that cheese cake who could barely act.

I'm sure there were plenty of good looking black actors out there who could have pulled off the long haul Git-R-Dun trucker ideal. You can do both if you find the right guy.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Soul Dentist posted:

I firmly believe Trip Tucker and Jonathan Archer should have switched actors from day one. No other changes necessary.

Maybe then the Berman mandated "sexual tension" between Archer and T'Pol in season 2 would have actually worked instead of being awkward and weird.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm sure there were plenty of good looking black actors out there who could have pulled off the long haul Git-R-Dun trucker ideal. You can do both if you find the right guy.
Mayweather should basically have been Parker from Alien. He knows his poo poo and has been in space longer than the rest of the crew combined, but he has to take orders from these dirt-grubbers just because he doesn't have the right number of stripes on his sleeve, or a dad who got him the big chair. Oh hey, conflict potential!

But nope, we get the guy who smiles a lot and not much else.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

He's better than I remember but yeah, he ain't great. And the whole idea of a human spacefaring industry outside of starfleet, one that uses busted up old and slow ships and undertake months or years long voyages, is super interesting! They just don't explore it enough.

I also don't like the idea of the Xindi, idk why they made them a pentad of species (all of whom are apparently closer to one another genetically than we are to chimpanzees, except that some of them are literally insects and lizards), Just make them one or maybe two species, or do something like The Covenant. As they are presented though, they're just confusing. Maybe there's a point to them that I haven't reached - I just saw the episode where they gaslit the poo poo out of the xindi weapon designer - but there's no narrative value added to the different species. You can do factionalism within a single species.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, Mayweather should've known all these tricks and hacks from working on a real freighter that horrify Trip and his shiny new engine.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

T'pol/Tucker in season 4 actually was a sweet romance though and probably the best effort on the series, so I'm happy Trineer ended up where he did

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Dignity posted:

T'pol/Tucker in season 4 actually was a sweet romance though and probably the best effort on the series, so I'm happy Trineer ended up where he did

Dead in a holodeck sim?

I will not be watching These Are the Voyages, btw.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mayweather should've been the most vital guy on the ship, their guide to space. Especially early on when they don't trust T'Pol so aren't going to listen to her.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

zoux posted:

Dead in a holodeck sim?

I never have!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
gently caress Mayweather, marry Trip, kill Hoshi

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Xindi are really slapdash creations that were written very quickly in order to make the show into a response to 9/11, and the show doesn't really have that much of an idea of what it wants to say, the writers are just working through their feelings with no idea what they'll come up with. Archer has to go into Xindi territory with a bunch of marines to give the Xindi a talking to about how Earth's really great, and a lot of the Xindi are reasonable, but the Reptilians are just evil.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

Dead in a holodeck sim?

Trip faked his death to go work for Section 31 to weaken Romulan interests after the conclusion of the war. It's canon.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
And then he and T'Pol hosed off to Vulcan and had a couple of kids.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If I were the Xindi, I would've simply shown up with my completed death star and reduced the earth into a debris field instead of sending over an amuse bouche of a micro death star to angry up the humans' blood.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fighting Trousers posted:

And then he and T'Pol hosed off to Vulcan and had a couple of kids.

This

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Another thing I like about ENT is the light continuity. You can pretty much watch any episode of a given season of DS9/VOY/TNG in any order and not notice, but in ENT little things linger. LIke when Reed gets his leg impaled, next week he's still dealing with the rehab. Lots of other little things too that ground the time line. You have no idea how much time elapses between eps 8 and 9 of s4 TNG or what the crew did in the interim (besides attend a conference that they are now returning from to find that not all is as it seems back on the USS Enterprise), but each ENT episode feels like it follows the one prior.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

zoux posted:

If I were the Xindi, I would've simply shown up with my completed death star and reduced the earth into a debris field instead of sending over an amuse bouche of a micro death star to angry up the humans' blood.

That I never understood; It could have simply been some random Earth colony and the weapon fires and fails catastrophically when doing so, so they need to make a bigger and better one. And ENT gets that refit and goes to investigate and pursue.

They also should have introduced the Picard-canonized NX-1 refit for that season. "Make the ship stronger, larger and have more weapon systems so you now get an aux hull for marine group, a larger hangar for assault shuttles, and more phasers".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They were clearly trying to do a 9/11 thing, they even try to turn Tucker into a Xindiphobe Iraq War supporter but it doesn't really land, and it introduces the huge logical gap of "why would you surprise attack earth to no material effect". The Japanese at least were trying to destroy the pacific fleet when they attacked Pearl Harbor, the Xindi were just doing earth a favor by reducing the amount of Florida.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

That I never understood; It could have simply been some random Earth colony and the weapon fires and fails catastrophically when doing so, so they need to make a bigger and better one. And ENT gets that refit and goes to investigate and pursue.

They also should have introduced the Picard-canonized NX-1 refit for that season. "Make the ship stronger, larger and have more weapon systems so you now get an aux hull for marine group, a larger hangar for assault shuttles, and more phasers".

The NX-01 refit apparently didn't even exist until years after Enterprise got cancelled and was done up to lend credence to that whole "What we would have done in Season 5" stuff that folks like Manny Coto and Brannon Braga started jawing about. I'm happy the refit is canon now, but it if was gonna be in Enterprise... they'd have put it in Enterprise.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

zoux posted:

Another thing I like about ENT is the light continuity. You can pretty much watch any episode of a given season of DS9/VOY/TNG in any order and not notice, but in ENT little things linger. LIke when Reed gets his leg impaled, next week he's still dealing with the rehab. Lots of other little things too that ground the time line. You have no idea how much time elapses between eps 8 and 9 of s4 TNG or what the crew did in the interim (besides attend a conference that they are now returning from to find that not all is as it seems back on the USS Enterprise), but each ENT episode feels like it follows the one prior.

I dunno why people say Reed never has a personality, they're super consistent in portryayong him as a repressed lil navy gay who desperately wants to die in the line of duty to a comical degree, he rocks

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/TheTrekCentral/status/1673693212634955778

Whoops, time to update the OP I guess...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sash! posted:

One must have a King or a Parliament. There is no other option. Also, this New World thing will blow over. Latest fad. Now pass me a tobacco.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

The NX-01 refit apparently didn't even exist until years after Enterprise got cancelled and was done up to lend credence to that whole "What we would have done in Season 5" stuff that folks like Manny Coto and Brannon Braga started jawing about. I'm happy the refit is canon now, but it if was gonna be in Enterprise... they'd have put it in Enterprise.

Yeah hindsight is 20/20 but also they say in the show that "Enterprise gets a refit from exploration missions to combat missions", so it would have been a great place to introduce the "traditional Enterprise look".

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

No Dignity posted:

Trip is low-key the second best character on the show after T’Pol. He’s got a much better arc than Archer, shows actual growth, and is just naturally more charismatic than Captain GWB. He’s great.

1. T’Pol
2. Trip
3. Phlox
4. Everyone else

I’m not counting recurring characters, otherwise Shran would of course be at the top.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think that's low key I think that's widely accepted.

They did a Hoshi episode and because it was about a girl that means it had to be about a love interest! I guess it's cool that they didn't do exactly Beauty and the Beast, just mostly Beauty and the Beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

zoux posted:

You can pretty much watch any episode of a given season of DS9 in any order and not notice, but

:goofy:

Also I think Phlox is now my favorite doctor

E: surpassing Pulaski