Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

I read it along the lines of "if you're so good at debating/rhetoric that you can win a debate regardless of the substance of your arguement, then that doesn't mean any of your ideas are actually better than your opponents", but I am not a zen master so..

e: terrible page topper, debate comic to make up for it:

Clean Your Teeth has a new favorite as of 08:01 on Jun 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Messer Papero

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

NAG posted:

The Swamp Queen (1/4)

The Swamp Queen (2/4)

In today's episode, Jace plays with matches!

CW: mild gore, kidnapping, implied abuse

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Boba Pearl posted:

I don't get the debating one, why is it a loss to use rhetoric to win a debate? Is it that the very concept of a debate is flawed?

Clean Your Teeth posted:

I read it along the lines of "if you're so good at debating/rhetoric that you can win a debate regardless of the substance of your arguement, then that doesn't mean any of your ideas are actually better than your opponents", but I am not a zen master so..

e: terrible page topper, debate comic to make up for it:

Zhuangzi was pretty sceptical about people's ability to create and communicate knowledge through reasoned debate and discourse - and yes, he's aware that this is kind of a strange stance for him, as a writer and philosopher, to take. A lot of his stories are trying to show how useless it is to go around saying that you've got life all figured out with logic and facts - instead of insisting on your perspective, you should steer by the torch of slippery doubt and go along with things in a wuwei fashion. That is, you should live your life effortlessly, not analysing and reasoning and stressing every step, but making decisions intuitively and with a sense of humour. Be like water, my friend.

There's also a general thread in Chinese thought of this period that the overly glib and persuasive should not be trusted. Even schools with fundamental philosophical differences can agree on criticising such behaviour - Loki wouldn't have made many friends in ancient China. Or maybe he would have - the dislike exists because there were examples available to be criticised. There was, for example, the famous lawyer Deng Xi - he was so talented that it's said he could win a case on one side, switch sides, and win the case from the other side. Now these days this is kind of the professional standard for lawyers because you've got to be properly neutral, but in ancient China this was a sign of poor moral fibre! Ripping a quote from wikipedia, Deng Xi could "argue a right to be wrong and a wrong to be right, [for whom] right and wrong had no fixed standard, and 'yea' and nay' changed every day.... What he wished to win always won, and whom he desired to punish was always punished."

Here's a famous example of his sophistry:

quote:

The Wei River was extremely high. A person from the house of a rich man of Zheng drowned. Someone found the body. The rich man asked to buy it back. The man demanded very much money. The rich man told Deng Xi about it. Deng Xi said, “Calm down. There's certainly no one else he can sell the body to.” The man who found the body was troubled by this and told Deng Xi about it. Deng Xi replied to him by saying, “Calm down. There's certainly nowhere else they can buy the body.”

Did he really say that? Was he really like that? No one knows, his history gotten written by people who didn't like him.

I'm going on a bit, but there's one more famous example of ancient Chinese sophistry people might find funny: did you know white horses aren't horses?

quote:

Is "a white horse is not horse" assertible?

Advocate: It is.

Objector: How?

Advocate: "Horse" is that by means of which one names the shape. "White" is that by means of which one names the color. What names the color is not what names the shape. Hence, one may say "white horse is not horse."

Objector: If there are white horses, one cannot say that there are no horses. If one cannot say that there are no horses, doesn't that mean that there are horses? For there to be white horses is for there to be horses. How could it be that the white ones are not horses?

Advocate: If one wants horses, that extends to yellow or black horses. But if one wants white horses, that does not extend to yellow or black horses. Suppose that white horses were horses. Then what one wants [in the two cases] would be the same. If what one wants were the same, then 'white' would not differ from 'horse.' If what one wants does not differ, then how is it that yellow or black horses are acceptable in one case and unacceptable in the other case? It is clear that acceptable and unacceptable are mutually contrary. Hence, yellow and black horses are the same, one can respond that there are horses, but one cannot respond that there are white horses. Thus, it is evident that white horses are not horses.

— "2:白馬論", 公孫龍子

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_a_white_horse_is_not_a_horse

Hope that provides some context for why Zhuangzi's ragging on debaters.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Takako-san chapter 5

Takako-san chapter 6

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Emzedoh posted:

I'm going on a bit, but there's one more famous example of ancient Chinese sophistry people might find funny: did you know white horses aren't horses?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_a_white_horse_is_not_a_horse

Hope that provides some context for why Zhuangzi's ragging on debaters.
This all comes down to the ambiguity of the phrase "a white horse is not horse". If he's saying the set Hw is not contained within the set H then his logic is gibberish. If he's saying that the set Hw does not equal the set H ("white horses" does not equal "horses") then he's absolutely correct. If he's deliberately using the ambiguity of language to imply the first but argue the second for a dumb gotcha then I frequently encountered and also unfortunately briefly was that guy in college and he can go gently caress himself.

Is arguing with a scroll better or worse than arguing with a jpeg?

Splicer has a new favorite as of 10:29 on Jun 27, 2023

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Probably case three - I prefer to think he's just loving with people. The trolling was certainly successful - you can find refutations, or at least complaints, in quite a few other thinkers from the time period.

Anyway, arguing with a jpeg makes you a goon; arguing with a scroll makes you a scholar.

Edit: haha, check out this self-description (via Zhuangzi anyway) I found on his wikipedia page:

quote:

When young, I studied the way of the former kings. When I grew up, I understood the practice of kindness and duty. I united the same and different, separated hard from white, made so the not-so and admissible the inadmissible. I confounded the wits of the hundred schools and exhausted the eloquence of countless speakers. I took myself to have reached the ultimate.

Edit edit: His other hits include "When no thing is not the pointed-out, to point out is not to point out," and "There is no 1 in 2." Definitely a troll.

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 10:38 on Jun 27, 2023

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Valhalla

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Turns out all you have to do to get a reputation as a silver-tongued trickster is to never let anyone else finish a sentence.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

NAG posted:

The Swamp Queen (2/4)

In today's episode, Jace plays with matches!

CW: mild gore, kidnapping, implied abuse

Pls keep posting - this is great!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Previously on Don't Look Back: Honestly, I only caught two song quotes, on pages 5 and 6. I think that rate will go up over time. As will the nudity rate. Spoilered images have mostly nipples, although I think there's some dongs later too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Emzedoh posted:

Anyway, arguing with a jpeg makes you a goon; arguing with a scroll makes you a scholar.
:wotwot:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Tall Penguin

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: Mammon's ability to breathe liquid metal is very popular at parties

quote:

Retribution

Alt: We're sure he'll be fine

quote:

“I heard among my travels whispered rumors – spurious, I am almost certain – that nearly all Ki Rata techniques could be doubled in power and intensity by a particularly skilled master. The idea alone is so ludicrous as to be silly. To start, who among the whole wheel would need to harness the use of that scale of destructive power?”

-Musko Reeve, Manual of Hands and Feet

Really kind of Solomon to avoid going for the obvious nut shot

Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

NAG posted:

The Swamp Queen (1/4)

Hope this ends with all the humans devoured!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tree Bucket posted:

I agree. Now to check what thread I'm in.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Pls keep posting - this is great!

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it! I'll post the next part tomorrow.

Tree Bucket posted:

Get your popcorn ready

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

NAG posted:

Get your peoplecorn ready

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

ANSU

The Accidental Space Spy

Hempuli posted:

327 - Higher
328 - Watch out!
329 - About cwrills
330 - Scythe

331 - About The Flying Land

332 - A dangerous beast

333 - Did him no favors

Spells cast: 5
Alien species seen: 104 (+2; swimming flowers and deep growths)
:biotruths:: 23 (+1 plants on the Flying Island)
Talking character deaths: 40
Deaths overall: 73+

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Peoplecorn

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

The "pop" in popcorn is actually abbreviated from the latin "populus", meaning "people" :pseudo:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Purple People Popcorn Eater could be your new username, claim it.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Prince Valiant in the Days of king Arthur (Nov 5-12, 1939)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That's a rookie mistake there Val, you never break opsec inside an enemy controlled jail.

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon
How could Val's santa hat disguise have failed?!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hope he at least used protection

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

oh my god

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

I'm her

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Owl at Home posted:

Prince Valiant in the Days of king Arthur (Nov 5-12, 1939)

A story where Val doesn't effortlessly succeed?! :monocle:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kit Walker posted:

Alt: We're sure he'll be fine
Oh wow, it feels like Solomon's really going 100% all out. Sure hope this kills the guy in one hit, or they're in for some trouble!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lmao

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Oh wow, it feels like Solomon's really going 100% all out. Sure hope this kills the guy in one hit, or they're in for some trouble!

He has yet to unleash his twenty point "fingers and toes" technique.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Do not ask about the twenty-one point, twenty-one digit technique.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

the holy poopacy posted:

A story where Val doesn't effortlessly succeed?! :monocle:

I'm just gonna say, buddy who ran the castle that was sacked by the Huns was kind of a lovely boss. Maybe if you'd acted like this was an actual siege, instead of partying every night, you wouldn't have had to all effectively commit suicide.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Well they went to their end in style, sacrifices have to be made.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
You can't call yourself a real troubadour if you're not willing to commit to a murder-suicide pact with all your buddies and their wives. #JustTroubadourThings

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

By popular demand posted:

Well they went to their end in style, sacrifices have to be made.

It's what separates us from the barbarians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
rear end may not be Thorsby’s strongest work, but gotta admit, I’m really looking forward to reading about the evolutionary advantages of believing in magic so much that it can distort the person’s body/kill them and if it’s tied to the upside down zone.

Or if my theory above is incorrect and it’s something else entirely.