Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

Jillchat There's a giant crystal thing you can see to the north from the northern coast of sanbreque that never comes up in the game. I feel like that plus whatever the deal is with leviathan plus some backstory about jill and the north is a pretty likely thing to do in DLC. Not that it's much of a defense of how the base game handled it

The deal with Leviathan is that it was Lost during the same event that destroyed the lost mothercrystal that is now that giant rear end gap in the ocean. That seems to have basically ended its existence, though of course DLC could bring it back.

We see Titan go Lost too after Kupka eats the mothercrystal. So the basics of what happened are Leviathan was involved in the battle that wrecked the mothercrystal, ate the crystal, became some sort of hellish water abomination, and then burned itself out.

It isn't really confirmed due to the timeline but odds are pretty good that Kupka doing what he did might mean there would never have been another Titan Dominant either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bland posted:

oh we're just posting unmarked spoilers now? that's cool

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4034447&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#pti6

Might be worth moving conversations to the actual spoiler thread considering how many black bars we're getting.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Edit: I'll take this over to spoiler chat then.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I just completed the point of no return, first mother crystal and have to echo the Jill sentiment. Clive is great and obviously the focus, but with as much as Cid chews scenery, Jill is a stark contrast in how just sort of “there” she is. Hoping I get to see more from her as things progress

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Do they ever explain who sent the head to Hugo?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gimme a Cid prequel where we get to see the no doubt wild stories of how there's someone in every corner of Valisthea who either a) owes him a favor, b) is his ex, or c) both.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Barnabas.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Bland posted:

oh we're just posting unmarked spoilers now? that's cool

Yeah I learned some pretty big stuff.

Zedsdeadbaby, if you were trying to punish me for for bringing up female representation in your video game, you got me good I guess.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

don’t know if it’s said outright but the clear insinuation is that it was barnabas intentionally riling him up to sic on the rebels and then rosaria

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Update:

Arist posted:

If I don't hear the phrase "mummer's farce" I'm going to be very cross

HELL FUCKIN' YEAH

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Just played from the 2nd crystal to getting the 4th set of iconic powers. drat that was good. The loving drums before fighting Hugo were amazing, and both the big boss fights were really cool and fun. The game is very good.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Introvert Jill can’t stop getting dragged for just being there and listening

Jill thinks I don't notice her poo poo-eating grin in some scenes (usually when Clive's getting embarrassed) or how the first thing she usually does after a boss or something is go pet Torgal

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can't get over how good this game looks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I can't get over how good this game looks.

I am deeply amused how FFXVI opinions seem to cover all spectrums.

I've heard it is sleek and modern but also is like a PS2 game in design
It's ugly and bland and also it looks great
The combat is simple and basic and also it's too complex/'finger-puzzle'
The characters are too grim but also too lighthearted

Pretty much the only thing anyone agrees on is that the game is too easy and even then you have people playing on Story Mode and equipping the help accessories.

That and that Cid is hot as gently caress.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cid is hot as gently caress, but also FF16 is my game of the year.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much the only thing anyone agrees on is that the game is too easy and even then you have people playing on Story Mode and equipping the help accessories.

I'm loving old and broken, ok?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Klungar posted:

I'm loving old and broken, ok?!

Sorry, I didn't mean that to come across as a "lol get gut" thing.

I said come in! posted:

Cid is hot as gently caress, but also FF16 is my game of the year.

FF16 isn't even my RPG released by Square-Enix GotY though I did enjoy it a lot. (Octopath 2 I just liked more.)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
*activates the mode that plays the game for me*

Whoa too easy there’s no way I could fix this

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Arist posted:

Update:

HELL FUCKIN' YEAH

I love that basically every fantasy property for the past several years has collectively realized what a fun phrase this is. I don't even remember where I first heard it but I notice it all the time now lol.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I love that basically every fantasy property for the past several years has collectively realized what a fun phrase this is. I don't even remember where I first heard it but I notice it all the time now lol.

I'm like 99% sure GRRM just made it up

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You kids say the game is easy and I'm over here dying all the time! I went into the arcade mode to refight Garuda and got my rear end beat lmao

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I’m playing on story and it’s easy and breezy and honestly that’s the best way to play a JRPG.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

SettingSun posted:

You kids say the game is easy and I'm over here dying all the time! I went into the arcade mode to refight Garuda and got my rear end beat lmao

I've certainly died a few times too, I think the sentiment that it's easy is because Souls has poisoned the narrative a bit and certain gamers want to be punished for failure, this game just fills up all your potions and is like "get back out there and get that guy, you can do it!" and I'm totally down with that.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Playable eikon 5 setting up a lvl 4 megaflare into gigaflare feels so drat good

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I want to swap out eikon 3 for eikon 4 because I hate eikon 3's circle move, but I'm still 5K short of mastering Judgement Bolt and like hell am I giving up my gently caress off nuke button.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I grew to like eikon 3's circle move for big packs but I don't miss it too much since I swapped out 3 for 5.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Nevermind.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

AcidCat posted:

I've certainly died a few times too, I think the sentiment that it's easy is because Souls has poisoned the narrative a bit and certain gamers want to be punished for failure, this game just fills up all your potions and is like "get back out there and get that guy, you can do it!" and I'm totally down with that.

Fwiw Elden ring effectively does the exact same thing

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Really effective psychological trick having your score tick down to 0 when you die in arcade mode.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Warden posted:

Clive, kiss your childhood friend /traveling companion.

I wonder if the story might have originally been written without the third timeskip

Clive and Jill pining after each other for eight years into their mid thirties despite living on a boat together is funny

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"Introvert Jill" is funny to me because when the game does let her talk to people it's immediately clear she's better at it than Clive

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I’m no game designer/programmer, but I feel like the game should run a lot better than it does. It looks good, but not that good. It’s also nowhere near as expansive as something like Xenoblade Chronicles 3 or TotK, which both still run around 30fps despite everything else they’re pulling off.

It kind of reminds me of Stranger of Paradise and I wonder if the same inefficiencies that tanked the performance in that title are also at play here.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

mycot posted:

I'm like 99% sure GRRM just made it up

Yeah, looks that way. Mumming and mummer's plays have been a thing for a very long time but he seems to be the first one to jam "farce" in there.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Almost Smart posted:

I’m no game designer/programmer, but I feel like the game should run a lot better than it does. It looks good, but not that good. It’s also nowhere near as expansive as something like Xenoblade Chronicles 3 or TotK, which both still run around 30fps despite everything else they’re pulling off.

It kind of reminds me of Stranger of Paradise and I wonder if the same inefficiencies that tanked the performance in that title are also at play here.

Could be new engine quirks and inefficiencies. According to Yoshi-P, 16 is using a brand new engine, whereas something like XBC3 is using a highly refined (and decade old) version of the XBCX engine.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

"Introvert Jill" is funny to me because when the game does let her talk to people it's immediately clear she's better at it than Clive

I am an introvert and work in a field involving a lot of communications between people & I am far more effective at my job than the extroverts purely because I am not just making a bunch of noise for no reason. It totally scans imo

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

More whole game context general jillchat I liked the suggestion someone had earlier that the dynamic where jill was pretending to be clive's owner pre-timeskip was interesting and maybe could/should have just been extended post-timeskip. Maybe I missed something but really it's kind of strange that to my memory no rear end in a top hat bigot people post timeskip call out clive for being a branded/runaway branded considering the giant obvious scar where his brand was

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Almost Smart posted:

Those Switch games run at sub 30fps at 720p and look way worse than FF16

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Almost Smart posted:

XBC3 and TOTK do not look nearly as good as you think they do when you play them on a 4K screen especially. There’s so many janky low res textures that carry those games and not nearly as many particle effects. Having your rendering being capped at 1080p docked with no upscaling helps a lot too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flavahbeast posted:

I wonder if the story might have originally been written without the third timeskip

Clive and Jill pining after each other for eight years into their mid thirties despite living on a boat together is funny

Lol I did think this was pretty hilarious

You've been traveling and living together for five years and you're still awkwardly dancing around your attraction to one another? Really? They're 33 and 30 now and still act like awkward teenagers around each other. I'm not even sure this is a criticism so much as it is really funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I choose to believe Clive and Jill are just socially stunted weirdos.