Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I wonder if there's a company like Grom audio that has a kit for the Cyanne - I have one of their units in my lexus and I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
got a bit further down the path - I was on a roll so I didn't take too many pics -

I bent up a aluminum strap and drilled a pinhole in it - the correct way would be to find another longer screw and mechanically fasten it to the aluminum strap - I wound up using my safety wire again and lashing the board to the aluminum plate - I used an existing bolt to fasten the aluminum to the radio frame -

not shown, because there was only one point of connection from the board to the radio frame itself, my slotted pot extension could have potentially fallen out - I had a little delrin spacer- I measured up the shaft on the bluetooth unit and drilled it out to be a snug press fit, then cut it to size, about 1/8", put it on the shaft, lined up my slotted extension, then moved the spacer forward to capture the slot - by the time I was done I was pretty impressed with myself - I'll grab a pic when I disassemble next.

so much room for activities.

didn't get so lucky with this, had to drill it out to accept the plug

I'm going to take the advice to wire this to the the ignition switch - I just have to find a good key-on hot source to pull from, and I think I'm just going to be easy on myself and put the light on the headlight circuit. I may even go nuts and do a green bulb a-la Christine.

I packed and screwed this all together for a test - my first impressions is this fucker is going to be loud, and I really like that - the sound wasn't as tinny as I thought it would be, and I can imagine that its going to be a bit better once its in the car, and the insulation of the dash and firewall come in to play as randomidiot said painterofcrap suggested.

I'm pretty sure I can get my power routing dialed in tonight - BUT

I went to go move the car this am for the gardeners and the fuckin thing wont start - feels like a fuel issue... UGH

in other news, I need to stop loving with buicks and deal with this:

me and the kid started puling more of it apart over fathers day and I can tell he's really ready to get it going again.

after all he's kinda grown up with it

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

randomidiot posted:

I would suggest a spacer to move the speakers back a little - the cone being up against the metal will not only make them sound crappy, it'll rip the surrounds up. Normally the cone fires outward.

But if you wire the speakers backwards (negative to positive, positive to negative), they SHOULD fire backwards, which should keep the cones from hitting the metal. As long as both speakers are wired the same, you shouldn't notice much difference unless you really crank it up. There's always going to be a little bit of rebound, but the primary direction the cones will be moving will be backwards.

I'd wire it to ignition power, the bluetooth should take a few seconds to connect. You can usually configure your phone as to whether or not it'll resume playback once connected, though that's not always reliable.

As for a box - the bulk is behind the dash, that's usually enough. Doors aren't exactly sealed well, and that's where most speakers wind up. GM and a lot of imports used to just stick little 4" or 4x6" speakers in the dash or at the very bottom of the dash with nothing behind them; you're not going for sound quality here, you just want to hear it, right?

Additionally, I would mount the speakers to a plate, then mount that plate to the radio box. You're going to lose what little bass you have with no separation between front and rear of the speakers (that gap between the speakers.) It doesn't have to be much. Sheetmetal or masonite. Just something to block air moving rear to front of the speaker. Basically, the two sides of the speaker need to be separated, but not by a lot. Just enough to make the path long enough to not cancel out the pressure waves. Mind you, with 4x6...

All in all, not a bad job, particularly for a first attempt.

I'd attempt something like this on my original AM radio in my Olds, except the dash has already been trimmed a bit for a more modern 3-hole radio. I can probably fix that, though - it's plastic. I also have another dash piece that's cut for a DIN radio.

I fully support this sort of mod. Original is nice, but making a car pleasurable to use means it will get used!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
So I finished it... for now, and I didn't take any pics, I was on a sick one - I was also out doing some super secret stuff today-

my father in law took this vid, he's just as vested in this project as I am - he's very much a car guy and couldn't believe this little product existed and was as cheap as it was.

I did wind up mounting the speakers with a space between the front of the unit, I also found a nice piece of foam that I cut to size and stuffed the unit with.

The trouble is that I couldn't find a key on circuit without going outside the car, I thought I did, but I think I may have fried a wire and I didn't have the right terminals, or small enough hands. in 54 they realized how easy it was to steal these cars and put in some protection on the ignition switch - I really do hope I never have an issue with that switch because its DEEP up in there and protected pretty well - its not as easy as hot-shoeing it. Obviously I could find a circuit that goes to the starter for key-on, but I didn't feel like coming in to the car with a power line, so I did what I could to get it up in there and going for the weekend, I just put a switch on the bottom of the unit that takes always-on power that the radio used to use, I wired the light and power to the unit to the same switch.

I want to change this eventually, but I just had the switch and it was such an easy thing- so I wound up cutting corners because I just wanted to get the thing back in there and hear it actually in the car, I also needed to get it buttoned up because the homies are coming over tomorrow to put the new engine in the roadster.

I just have to dive deeper to find a key-on circuit, look at a diagram or something -OR- I need to figure out if the unit draws power even with the switch off, which I think is easy if someone was to explain it to me, but honestly, I'm still daunted by some wiring projects and I don't even know what to search to get some info on how I could test that. It's only in the last few years that I've really taken the time to dive in to wiring and now that I have the right tools, methods and terminals, I actually really enjoyed it, where as early 2000's lobsterboyx would have been terrified to even use a test light or multimeter.

honestly what I want is half of the original style configuration - I'd love it if it was always hot so I could listen to it with a key-off condition, but with the dial light wired to headlights on. my biggest fear is a parasitic draw from this unit that would kill my battery if I didn't drive it for a few days - but wiring this configuration would be dead easy, but wiring it like this would take approximately 1 R&R of the unit, a butt joint, a foot of wire, a ring terminal and less than 5 minutes time.

Sound: It's 2x better than what I had, the form factor, if I ignore my main power switch, is so much better, being able to turn it up or down with the original knob gives me the warm and fuzzies. I took it around blasting as wide of a range music. I do love good sound, but as I've been hollering, the types of stuff I listen to dont require much to sound good.

Its not tinny at all, its slightly hollow and it can be overly loud.

Roadster update tomorrow

and that sale with the v8-60 took a cool turn, I was asked to basically run the sale when it comes to - this means I can basically take payment in hot rod parts like a new frame with most of its components, and that v8-60 and possibly more flathead v8's... and some tools.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
for measuring power consumption: your multimeter probably has (at least) two current settings, one that's like a few tens or hundreds of mA and one that's 10A or something like that. you want the 10A one to start with. usually you have to move the red probe to another position to use that setting, and there's usually a fuse in the meter.

anyway, unplug the +12V supply wire to the radio, and put your meter in-line with it. meaning, 12V power source ------> (red) multimeter (black) ------> radio power input. that way, all the power going to the radio passes through the meter, and is measured. you can see how much power it's using when bumpin' it, then you can turn it off and see what the power consumption is when off, if any. if the meter probes are backwards, the only difference it'll make is the meter will show a negative current. so getting the direction right isn't too important.

the lower scale (400mA on my meter, so 0.4 A) would be more accurate, but on many meters it's not fused. so, if you accidentally draw more current than that through the meter, you can damage it (the meter). if you know that you are measuring a much smaller current than that, you can switch the scale and leads on your meter to use that more sensitive setting. just be careful that it won't wake up when power is connected or something. i would definitely want to watch it while connected to the higher current setting to make sure it's safe to use the lower current setting.

if you wanted to have it turn on/off with the volume pot, maybe you could replace one of the pots you are using with one that has a built-in switch. or, maybe you could add a sort of cam lobe that activates a microswitch in there.

come to think of it, instead of chopping up the original potentiometer (for, uh, next time i guess) maybe someone could 3D print you whatever shaft adapter you need. if you like the microswitch idea, maybe the cam lobe could be integrated into the design of that adapter.

anyway, at this point i'm rambling. it's cool to see all the little project progress you keep making! i gotta fix my cars too....

Raluek fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 24, 2023

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Raluek posted:

expert level stuff

There will be a next time, as a matter of fact, when my 48 comes back, it will be getting the same treatment - I love having tunes coming from the dash as it should - so there will absolutely be another one of these in the immediate future.

Re- chopping up the old pot - thats a fantastic Idea - I'm going to have to look a bit closer at the next one to see if thats possible - the only good thing about the 48 is that all of its electronics are a bit more accessible, and I know for certain there's more than a few key-on circuits that are easier to tap than the wagon.

heres a few more photos of the install on it -

aside from the bakelite failing on the push buttons, the dial and bezel cleaned up really nicely.

I had to bind up the buttons because they were getting stuck in and I had accidentally compromised the release mechanism by using one a crucial part as the main mount for my bracket - oh well - last thing I needed was little fingers pushing the buttons and having them stuck in there, with the only way to release them being remove and disassemble the radio - I just cut a peice of aluminum stock to size and self-tapped them in place - the buttons can no longer get pushed.

heres the "collar" I made out of the plastic to keep the pot from slipping off

I also sourced a brighter dial light and installed that

Not shown is the main switch and internal wiring to it because I was too excited to get it in there and test it - for the next I'll document it more carefully

in other news:

https://i.imgur.com/toLtYYNh.mp4

me and some buddies got the new engine in the car friday in about 4.5 hours - so far so good - it runs really nicely with no knocking and only a slight rear main seal leak - not bad for a $200 motor with polished parts and a rattlecan rebuild...

Still needs to be tuned on a bit, but overall it did pretty good, all of a sudden my son is scared of it when its running so I won't get a real test and tune until I have a day off and he's at school - we got it close enough for jazz and it really couldn't have gone smoother. These engines are really cold bloooded and really run a million times better when they get some heat in them - I drove it maybe a mile or two on friday after we got it in there and sure enough it started running better about a block from my house coming home that night. I also need to re-install the windshield becuase driving it with no windshield or glasses is nearly impossible.

now I just need to figure out what to do with this broken beast

I also realized that engine had been sleeved, and it was an .080 over sleeve job too - may be time for the big good-night for this little guy.

in further news, I fixed up my chair -

if you recall:

now it has a nice foot rest ring:

and the head rest is now 100% less broken

I wanted to do the ring for support of the legs, I hate these casters with a passion but I still need to be a bit more careful with the legs - there is a swivel mech built in to this chair which I'm going to try to slick up so it turns a bit more freely, other than that, I think its going to really help my seated posture, and its shockingly comfy as is.

further than that - looks like I'm running this sale now...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is it not an option to resleeve the block without cutting the block itself even further? Granted, this is on a larger engine that I think is sleeved even when new, but they just machine the sleeve down to paper-thin and knock it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-CT3lXD4Xs&t=205s

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
With these its about cost to benefit ratio - I have 3 of these motors, this one is the worst off of the 3, considering you can buy a running engine for <$500, and with better options like the "B" motor, even at the $100 I listed this for is kinda cheeky - the clutch, flywheel, cam and lifters in this engine could be worth that, but otherwise - its almost not worth anyones time unless a guy would just want to gently caress around with one of these engines - I also got another offer for 2 more free motors of unknown origin... I've said it before but I don't really want to become a collector of these things, as fun as they are, I really just want to build one or two very nice heavily built blocks, one overhead, one flathead.

then there's this dumb mini V8 I've spoken for... so clearing out the junked 4 bangers is higher on my list.

for now this thing is just chillin in my driveway, and I'm counting the hours until my wife starts to complain about it blocking the path for my sons bicycle/scooter/pedal car exploits. I want to build one or two more of these stands, pictured on the right

They were built by a guy who called himself Lowkey in the 50s-70s - not terribly difficult to build but the large notch in one side of the uprights seems a bit out of my woodworking tool capabilities.

Ideally each engine would have one of these stands, then I'd have one of the freight train engine stands as my build stand.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Do you need the notch for the full height of that side or could you cut a chunk out for as much clearance as needed leaving the bottom to hold things together? Another easy option would be blocks added to the surface on both sides to have a recessed "notch" between them.

code:
===    ===
==========

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
that works too - it does need the full height because there is a bump out in the oil pan for the oil pump - you can see that bump out here:

the flange that the oil pan bolts to is the surface that supports the motor on this stand, the block idea is cool too - I think mr. lowkey did this to reduce weight of the actual cart as well..

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

LobsterboyX posted:

They were built by a guy who called himself Lowkey in the 50s-70s - not terribly difficult to build but the large notch in one side of the uprights seems a bit out of my woodworking tool capabilities.

Ideally each engine would have one of these stands, then I'd have one of the freight train engine stands as my build stand.

Do you have a tablesaw? I'm no wood genius, but seems like you could set the blade height to the tallest part of the notch, run the upright through once, then drop the blade height a little, move the fence in a little, make another pass on either side of the first groove, and keep doing that until you rough out the shape of the curve, then knock down whatever remains with a chisel and sand it smooth. There's almost certainly an easier way but that's how my caveman carpentry brain imagines doing it.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004
I’d just make it with three bits of timber. Two short ones with the end cut at an angle, sistered to a longer one behind.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

With these its about cost to benefit ratio - I have 3 of these motors, this one is the worst off of the 3, considering you can buy a running engine for <$500, and with better options like the "B" motor, even at the $100 I listed this for is kinda cheeky - the clutch, flywheel, cam and lifters in this engine could be worth that, but otherwise - its almost not worth anyones time unless a guy would just want to gently caress around with one of these engines - I also got another offer for 2 more free motors of unknown origin... I've said it before but I don't really want to become a collector of these things, as fun as they are, I really just want to build one or two very nice heavily built blocks, one overhead, one flathead.

Makes sense if they're still that plentiful and cheap to get your hands on.

NoSpoon posted:

I’d just make it with three bits of timber. Two short ones with the end cut at an angle, sistered to a longer one behind.

This. Closest thing to a downside is that you'd use slightly more lumber and the stand would be slightly wider to accommodate it, but that'd be way less time than forming a notch like that.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

That notch looks like it was done with a very large industrial router bit of some sort - it's too symmetrical and clean for someone to do that curve on purpose, unless they had access to a big woodshop or were particularly bored. The three-peice idea NoSpoon mentioned is the quick and dirty option. Out of curiosity, what is the width x depth of the cut?

ought ten posted:

Do you have a tablesaw? I'm no wood genius, but seems like you could set the blade height to the tallest part of the notch, run the upright through once, then drop the blade height a little, move the fence in a little, make another pass on either side of the first groove, and keep doing that until you rough out the shape of the curve, then knock down whatever remains with a chisel and sand it smooth. There's almost certainly an easier way but that's how my caveman carpentry brain imagines doing it.

This could work but I would NOT attempt it unless incorporating a sled or jig of some sort. Doing that many tablesaw cuts freestyle in that orientation (long side of a lightweight workpiece against the blade, short side on the fence) gives me the heebie jeebies. :anttony:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I had a tablesaw - it was a 1946 craftsman to match my drill press and band saw - it was just too drat dangerous, large and heavy - also, I'm really not a wood guy - I spoke with my buddy this afternoon whos a cabinet maker and studio carpenter - he said he'd make those cuts with a skillsaw then hit it on the belt sander untl the kerf went away - he ended the conversation with "when you send me the measurements, how many do you want?" - so I guess he'll be making me some with studio wood!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

There you go, that’s the real solution.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ought ten posted:

There you go, that’s the real solution.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
well, I've very much been enjoying having my roadster back..

some minor issues, its got a very nasty oil leak - I believe this can be fixed by re-doing the rear main seal, which is as simple as dropping the pan, putting a new seal in and really slathering that area up with RTV.

the other issue is that when I went to adjust my clutch, I realized that this arm was toast.

Ordered a new one for $5 and a day later we're back on the road.

and as with any time this happens, the other ones get jealous.

I was loving having my radio going - I drove to work on wed morning, took it out to lunch, got done with my poo poo early and decided to take the scenic route home - well I didn't make it a block from my office when it just crapped out -

As soon as it happened I knew exactly what it was, it was the same problem I had a few months ago when it crapped out at the top of the hill - the fuel pump had been acting up, I pulled the filter and that literally gave me a few months of work -

Another tow home and I ripped this thing out.

before covid I had replaced this - I'd estimate about a 4.5-5 year life out of this crap - back when I did this, there was a shortage of these pumps, as with all this crap it is a very small time frame for this specific pump - mid 53 to mid 55, big v8 only. So the only pump I could get was this no-name aftermarket unit that was incredibly expensive, around 200 bucks.

As I was waiting or the tow truck I started calling around and found a really nice rebuilt AC branded pump for 130 + a $100 core charge - the company I got it from is very reputable and didn't gouge.

differences are minor, but at least its the real deal and not an aftermarket - I'm thinking about putting a helper electric on it somewhere, but honestly they're just as hateful as a malfunctioning mechanical - trouble with fuel pumps on these old cars is that the pressures need to be very very low - even the most expensive pump that outputs the correct PSI for these old carbs is still just a lovely unit that is loud and possibly just as unreliable.

At least I have an OG one to rebuild myself in the future.

in other news - I've done a soft open on an etsy store and sold a few shirts... still waiting to release it to the masses, but all in all I think its working.

https://i.imgur.com/QSK0FKj.mp4

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Awesome hat. Did you get it from boxes of chocolate frosted sugar bombs?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Love the $20 gold piece from Max Fleischer's wild interpretation of Snow White, starring Cab Calloway in the rotoscope!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-6_EBw6T8

(Love how Mickey Mouse lives in Bimbo's drawers)

drat

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 3, 2023

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Love the $20 gold piece from Max Fleischer's wild interpretation of Snow White, starring Cab Calloway in the rotoscope!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-6_EBw6T8

(Love how Mickey Mouse lives in Bimbo's drawers)

drat

drat you got my number... yeah, its one of my favorite clips of cartoon ever! The first time I saw it I think altered my brain like an acid trip. If I had thought it out a bit better, or if I ever want to do my other arm, it might be a full tribute to pre-code cartoons.

Captain McAllister posted:

Awesome hat. Did you get it from boxes of chocolate frosted sugar bombs?

its actually part of my new mantra for summer - Silly boy summer is in full effect with me

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Do yourself a favor; Get this printed and framed.

Goddamn that’s a good shot. :3:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e: nvm maybe I shouldn't admit to that

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

randomidiot posted:

e: nvm maybe I shouldn't admit to that

inquiring minds need to know...

they opened up an auction preview for some intense vintage disney memorabilia so we had to go check it out - https://vegalleries.com/releases/the-joel-magee-disneyland-collection

here's one of the original Autopia cars - pretty bad rear end - I posted earlier in the thread about when I got to meet Bob Gurr

here he is being a total bad rear end, and here's a bunch of info about him https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Gurr

he's stil with us and is very active in so cal at all kinds of events, cars, disney stuff, vintage - the guy is amazing.

they also have the best original poster collection ever...

they also had a few of the animatronic birds from the tiki room

and the hitchiking ghosts

in other news, I was in the 4th of july parade again

and I've been driving the drat car everywhere

and I registered it for the race in late september

fingers crossed it holds together until then

I got the fuel pump in the wagon

and after several trips to the auto parts store, I finally got the belts right and a bit tighter.

Taking it on a memorial cruise for a friend that passed away tomorrow - hopefully wont have to come home on a tow truck.

So we enrolled our kid in the same pre-school I went to back in the 80s, back then it was a pretty cool place that was built on a former estate property, they were just scraping by back then and would take donations from parents, they always had these awesome aluminum trikes that I loved so much - there were only a few of them but I remember that it was a race to get out to the yard and get one of these - they were super fast and responsive and felt the best - ff to the early 2000's and I'm now a vintage bike collector - my mom and I were looking at some old pics and it unlocked the memory of riding these bad rear end trikes - I found out what they were pretty quickly, but being an adult, what the hell did I need a kids trike for, back to the "fugetaboutit" zone you go. Fast forward to last year when we enrolled him in school - the school is bougie as hell now, the original director is still there and she recognized me as soon as I walked thru the door - I guess I'm one of about 4 alumni to return with their own kids as most of the people I grew up with have left the area for "more affordable" digs... ugh....

anyway, one of the only vestiges that remained there were my precious aluminum tricycles. the same ones I rode 35+ years ago.. in talking more to some of the teachers, another old familiar face has been "upkeeping" these for years - as a kid favorite, they have bought new ones, refreshed old ones and have maintained a fleet of them since I left all those years ago.

I started showing some interest in them and she said that they wanted to sell off a handful of the more worked over ones, and a ton of parts.

so I bought the nicest one for my kid

https://i.imgur.com/5JV1YIh.mp4

there is not a ton of info about these online, but this one is pretty concise : http://classiccycleus.com/home/anthony-brothers-convert-o-trike/

quote:

Anthony Brothers Convert-O-Trike

Relatively unchanged for 65 years, the Convert-O-Tricycle is one sweet ride (and still available).
Made top to bottom out of cast aluminum, these tricycles are built to last. The rear deck can be removed quite easily and replaced with just one of the rear wheels, creating a tough little bike. Pedaling and balancing in bicycle mode is a bit tricky given that the pedals are directly attached to the front wheel (pedaling action will fight steering input and vice-versa).
Industrial engineer Tony Anthony (his parents really did name their son Anthony Anthony) developed his invention in the late 1940′s while working for the family refrigeration business.
Since the Convert-O-Trikes have remained the same for so long, it’s nearly impossible to judge the exact vintage by outward appearances. Based on the previous owner’s recollection, we happen to know that this particular trike is from the 1960′s

So this site looks pretty dated, but it says they are still available, but in a brief search I was able to find that the company may have gone out of biz in the late 2000's or early 2010s - this story is also backed up by vintage loving dads who have reached out to me after posting this video of my kid riding his.

My wife was the one who picked out this one as the best and she said there is a ton more they have that they want to get rid of as well as a ton of parts - perhaps I may be buying them all..... I have to see if I have time to get over there this week and look at them.

so in short - I bought my kid a bike that I may have ridden myself over 35 years ago that was designed in the 40s and most likely produced in the 50s or 60s - a very lobsterboyx story indeed.

also in researching they made a "low boy" or big wheel version of them too

these have extreme value and are apparently very rare - and it may be projection, but I could have sworn the school had one or two of these as well as a kid, but the memory is so foggy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2248419163...ABk9SR_SR1YenYg

in closing, in keeping with the kid theme, my indoctrination of my child really knows no bounds, maybe he'll hate me for it, but I think he'll be better off

slingshots, wooden forts, aluminum tricycles, big lollypops, sailor outfits, hot rods, 1950s station wagons, old cartoons... this hat.... you know, that kind of stuff

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 9, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

they also have the best original poster collection ever...

I'm not much of a disney fan but these rule.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I love it all

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

a very lobsterboyx story indeed.

They always deliver, I love that.

My kid was also a legacy preschooler at his first school, same one Vanessa went to 40 years ago. It wasn’t common there either. They did not have any cool trikes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Those trikes are fricking cool.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I still have my son’s trike, which I trash-picked before he was born: 1950’s Murray; built like a tank - when I was close to 400-lbs back then, I could glide on it with nary a sag, wobble or squeak.

These trikes are far larger. I wanna ride.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I too have tried this out and it supports my weight, and I'm ~3 bills - if the cranks were just slightly bigger, I'd be about it! - some local friends of ours were over and saw it, they had to have one so I took them over to the school and grabbed these snaps...

My friends grabbed one that was in pretty good shape, and I'm super proud of my wife for picking literally the cream of the crop of them for our kiddo. after our friends got theirs for their daughter, I counted 10.75 of them - one was missing a rear wheel, one had a broken rear axle(?) and one was a bare frame.

almost 40 years of hard daily use by kids 3-5y/o really takes a toll on these I guess - however all, minus the parts bikes, were still usable and functional, pretty incredible. I'd say you could absolutely cobble together maybe 7-8 nice ones from this -

The school has become pretty... flexy... if I'd dare use that term, fancy fund raisers, pay to play kind of stuff, insanely high tuition... I think it might be kinda flexy of me to just buy all of them and either flip them or resto a few of them and sell them for bigger bucks...

I'm so close to spending some time to scale up an adult sized version of this thing. I was watching him ride it the other day and thought, man, it almost looks like he's on a less intense penny farthing (early big wheel bicycle, bully!) -

Speaking of designing fun, wheel'd things that I really want to exist...

In addition to riding his Anthony bros and his regular bike

he also rides a scooter... and I want to scooter with him... but they dont make off the shelf big people scooters, or at least they dont look how I think they should look, so I did a quick study of myself, and opened up my old book of standards and started designing this thing

as a product of the 80s, we all had one of these at one point, BMX was hot as hell and I had handmedown after handmedowns incuding my red GT BMX scooter - they fetch pretty high prices now and when I actually looked up specs on them, and in fact they aren't that big, I was just way smaller. Also in some research it seems that while some big wheel scooters do exist, they don't look as stout as I want them to be, and there are some higher end ones are absurdly expensive that seem to be catered more to urban dog mushing and or off road down hill extreme scootering - I don't even want to talk about the razor style ones...

what about one that could be for overweight creative dads that are grasping at straws of their 80s and 90s youth- just to knock around the neighborhood or go off a curb or something, or try a flat land trick that will inevitably lead to a broken bone.

WELL now I can dream a bit harder..

needed to be super robust so I called out 1" tubing - IDK about wall thickness, 20" bmx wheels, fork and fork geometry (18 degree rake I believe, but I'm not sure if it will be as conducive to scootering as it is to bmx) - you know, I'm just a designer not an engineer. Also a loop-tail, because wheelie.

stronger

milti- functional gussets with speed holes

Anyway - I have a buddy who said I can come over and we can build this - I have to play with a few things like deck height and the rear dropouts, then I'll pull some actual build drawings from this. I know its going to be pricy to even build one, but it may be worth it in the long run, said friend that wants to help me with this project has quite a shop and has provisions to set up a frame table to possibly make multiples of these, or at least we prototype a few of them. I did these over 2 months ago, so we'll see how far this goes. I just have to spend the time

speaking of time... The time came for me to liberate my spoils from this sale I'm running..

just kidding, I really want this thing, but I'd be in divorce court if I brought home another car, so I just brought another engine instead.

it came with the manual

also just kidding, this 1940's dykes book is pretty incredible, more on this later

its got some trick chrome stuff - this after steel wool

once again leading me to believe that this is something a bit more special than your run of the mill engine.. more investigation needs to happen -

plan? well I really enjoyed doing up my banger - so I may just do the same to this thing and wait on the next project.

I tried to put the distributor on and it wasn't quite right - I may be missing something, or theres some weird interchange stuff... I have to get to the bottom of it.

There was a lot today - my wagon petered out 3 blocks from home after a 50 mile drive, I hit up the neighborhood boys and we went to grab it with a tow strap and bring it home. I just got done with the fuel pump, so I think the carb is junked up - i just parked it - its too loving hot to drive a car with no ac right now anyway. oh and...

whats worse, the tire or the leaking wheel cylinder.. YOU BE THE JUDGE

I gotta go back in this thread and find where I talked about the v8-60, I never thought I'd have one, let alone a tricked out one like this..

but end on a positive note..

I actually figured out how to open an etsy store and load it with direct to print shirts..

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DanoramaCity

This has been a fun project - its easy to sell stuff on here, but the stickers are a bit more of a PITA than the shirts..

Pretty cool system they've developed here - I learned this from a friend who was more than generous to share the info with me

I can elaborate if anyone cares - also, didn't post this to gleam orders from you guys - the profit margins on these are so slim, I'm still wondering if the time spent has been worth it - I just wanted to share! and some of you guys have already ordered!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Everyone go to the Etsy store.

Raise your prices.

I see 'adult' scooters all the time on good days - in Lancaster, PA, where the Amish kids ride them:

https://www.amishtoybox.com/collections/amish-scooters

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

As far as tire vs brake cylinder, looks like you might be running a touch underinflated.

But I'd definitely try to fix both at the same time. If money is an issue, then the brake cylinder first, but the brake fluid isn't great for tires. I had a brake cylinder pop on my 80 F-150 on my way home from school one day, and managed to get it home between engine braking, what was left of the brakes (dual circuit thankfully) and the parking brake (not... my brightest idea). And of course the master cylinder failed shortly after, since the pedal was going to the floor (and thus, piston going way further in than normal).

There's something way way back in the cobwebs of what little bit of brain I still have that's telling me my kindergarten had those same trikes in the early 80s.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Aw yea ordered some goodies but I was too slow for the used cars stickers so you should probably do another batch of them… :D

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Well, selling stuff has been amazing, I hope all of you guys that ordered stuff like it, and thank you!

I have some really fun ones in the works.. keep your eyes peeled.

I finished up the Estate sale and there was so much stuff it was overwhelming, its not 100% over, but we're taking a bit of a break to re-group

on the very last day before the sale I found this

its a 64 Triumph T100- this bike was literally scattered all over the garage, I peiced it together as best I could, it didn't sell and the guy told me to make an offer - I really don't need this, I dont ride anymore and its too incomplete to really flip... it would take someone who really loves them to grab this...

this motor I got is cleaning up really well - this had to be in a rod or something because theres a lot of cool chrome stuff on it..

there's so little info online about these motors, they really were the bastards of the bunch - I did however meet a guy whos father LITERALLY wrote the book about these engines - the book itself is out of print and the fella has no want to do a re-print

https://www.macsautoparts.com/the-v8-60-ford-s-little-powerhouse-228-pages-47-66827-1.html

so I got some info about head studs, and off the bat I can tell that every aspect of this engine is going to be like this, talk to the guy, he gives me the specs on them and an outdated Avveeco part number, call Avveeco, they have no clue, give them the spec on the particular stud, they shoot me back the same number I gave them just with a different prefix, they dont have any stock of them so now I have the right number - and literally have to go thru tons of fastener sites until I found enough of them - application calls for 34 of them, they're sold in boxes of 10 - OK so finally find them, get them shipped and theyre just right - if it was a model a thing, it would literally be one call away and they would be at my door in a day or two. Thrill of the hunt I guess..

So here comes the first issue:

https://i.imgur.com/xqCXICv.mp4

huzzah! I think it will be ok with a bit of thread sealer and just keep things light, its not completely hogged out but its pretty loosey goosey

Since I don't know poo poo about this stuff, the engine came with this Harman Collins dual point jobber - apparently these came on military applications and were pretty saughtafter, I mentioned that the engine came with this little adapter thing (orange) for the Harman and his response was "thats worth more than its weight in gold" so.. kid gloves.

The rabbit hole opens deeper - joining facebook groups is a sure fire way to get in trouble, an ad for parts in WI, posted without much info by what looks to be a young kid got me kinda bubbly - I responded and his words were "Call my grandma, heres her number XXX-XXX-XXXX"

here's the pic

so... my heart gets pumping - call the lady and wind up having a really fantastic conversation - typical story, husband passed, what to do with all this stuff... I was able to make a deal on something at least:

its the matching intake to the heads on my motor... hasn't been made since 1955.. woah.

So here's the trouble, shes not tech savvy and there's bad reception in the pole barn where this stuff lives... its literally eating away at my soul because there's so much stuff there, and im sure more than whats pictured.. but she literally cant transmit the info to me .. I want to make this deal happen first, but then after that, I really need to either go there myself, which really isn't in the cards right now, or send someone to just facetime and go thru the stuff. So if your near Madison WI and want to bust a mission for some old hot rod parts, lemme know!

Anyway - the saga continues on the 48 buick - I took my kid to go check it out and it looks in pretty lousy shape -

The guy told me that there is someone coming to fix the bumper and rear valence this past weekend, I haven't followed up with him as of now, but I'm planning to call him up tomorrow and rattle his cage. I saw my transmission on the bench and while its mostly complete, there were a few components unbolted sitting next to it, it was orderly and looked clean and freshly rebuilt, so that didn't bug me too much, but he assured me that he'll be detailing the car and the bumper issue will be fixed for not a dollar more than our initial price quote... we'll see.

A few nights ago I was speaking to a friend on the phone about historical stuff and he mentioned that he found something that I may like and that he wanted to give it to me - the next day turned out to be pretty lovely for us and I wasn't able to go to his house and pick it up, but I called him and told him what was going on and he came over and dropped it off on my front porch

come home to find this piece of railroad track - I've wanted something like this for ages, but its always alluded me - its a perfect anvil or tool for metal shaping ect - just good to have a big old hunk of iron sitting around.

anyway, turns out he was at the right place at the right time and a road crew was digging up a street near his home in an older part of LA, and he saw this laying in the dirt - asked the road crew if he could have it and they said sure - it was under a service box that was being replaced, which is why its so not dirty or caked in cement or anything like that from the looks of it, it looks like they had cut it from the rest of the line decades ago, and placed the box directly over the top of it without removing it - I did some quick looking and sure enough, this is an original part of the pacific electric red car track.

kinda meaningless, but still cool nonetheless - I know where there's 5-6 8' lengths of this track that are used as fence posts around an abandoned lot - they are driven super deep and my feeble attempts at removing them were laughable - they're behind a shop that does large scale printing for events, and I just know that they were from a sub that connected a row of industrial buildings together - one day I gotta see about maybe trying to pull one with my car..

This thing has been giving me headaches...

So even after I changed the pump out, it did it again - I had just gotten back form a 50-60 mile drive, stopped at 7-11 for a slurpee, hit the road again and the fucker died 3 blocks from my house - I was so pissed, I just locked it and left it there and walked home-
had to bust a mission once it cooled off to go tow the car home, I rounded up the neighborhood boys and we all went down there, I used a tow strap to pull it behind my lexus with one of the kids steering - i kept looking back to see him and he was grinning ear to ear, he's only 17 and he's always said he loves my cars ect - this time was the first time I let him really interact with it and to be blunt, I've done a very good and bad thing with it - good because hes interested in old cars, bad because he wont leave me alone about it - I cant be mad tho, we have to keep it going!

I pulled the carb and took it to a buddy to look over, clean as a whistle inside - no problems there - I get fuel pressure just fine, but this always happens when the car is cooled off - weird thing is I couldn't start it the last time it did this... anyway, put the carb back on and it fired up - not quick, but it did. I think either this pump is bad, I'm boiling the fuel in the carb or a line is sucking air somewhere - I ordered a phoneallic spacer for the carb so I can hopefully rule out the vapor lock issue.. maybe I should just add a little inline fuel pressure gauge too.. I just want to avoid running an electric fuel pump which may have to be the next step... I hate electric fuel pumps.

this am it didn't start easy - took lots of cranking and pumping

Anyway - Friday was fun

Car is running so good - I just have to keep myself under control so I don't break it before the race - I'm so glad its back..

Saturday was an amazing car show - I of course didn't take any pics, other than this that was taken of us - next to my club brothers historic car - this thing raced at Bonneville and all the speed trials from 1946-50

The show was super amazing, held at John Wayne airport, the home of the original Santa Ana Drag strip - such a cool show held at an air museum - planes and choppers taking off really close by - such a clean event.

Your car has to be accepted to be at the show, and typically I don't really care to take my cars to stuff like this, but as soon as I got there I instantly regretted not taking my car to it.

here's my buddy Mike's coverage of the event https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SigDTf72GcA&t=1968s - if you care to watch these vids, you will find me in more than a few of them...

Sunday was also fun, we kept the "transportation" theme going and went to visit the Queen Mary, also no photos taken outside of this

The last time I was there was 6 or 7 years ago for a wedding, it was also the last time I've had anything to drink more than a beer.. story on that for another day. - the ship has always been a favorite of mine, its a beautiful time capsule and something thats just so special to go aboard and explore it and stay there. The story of the ship over the last few decades has been pretty sad - its been operated by independent hospitality companies who have systematically let any kind of maintenance on this thing lapse, every few years they come up with a new plan for this or that, but I have to say, this is a logistical nightmare.. from bedbug infestations, torn up and dirty carpet, awful flourecent lighting, super crappy rooms that were just slapped together... they've really done a number on this thing... but apparently at the begining of '23 the city of long beach has stepped up and has been investing heavily in to the restoration and preservation of the ship. To me, it really didn't look like it - there were a few things that had been replaced, but this is beyond the worst I've ever seen it, its dank, rusty and really in bad shape - According to some news stories I've heard about it, the real damage happened over the last 5 years - putting it outside the time that I had last visited it... so hopefully they can get their poo poo together. One of my wifes friends took her family there the previous weekend and abruptly left because they found bedbugs.. so.. lets hope they can clean up their act...

Also note theres a submarine parked next to it - this was put there when I was in high school

Here's an embarrassing photo of me inside it in 2011

quote:

In November 2012, the vessel was discovered to have flooding and as a result was listing 24 degrees to the starboard side.[5] It was closed to the public in 2015, by which time the pressure hull had ruptured and raccoons had taken up residence on board.[2] By 2021, when control of the Queen Mary returned to Long Beach, the city was attempting to have the submarine removed.[6]

I spoke to an employee about it and his exact words were "no one knows who actually owns it, its completely full of water, and its so rusted that they are saying that if they were to tow it out, it would rip in half, and its basically as sturdy as a wet piece of cardboard" - yikes...

Anyway - so I'm pretty bummed, my little guy actually broke his leg on Monday - he was at a play place with my wife and some friends, he was fooling around, jumping and dancing in an area that had some foam blocks - I guess he jumped off one (only about a foot high) and twisted, he landed while still twisting and his foot planted, and his body kept spinning, giving him a radial fracture near his ankle - obviously this caused him great pain - but honestly he's been taking it like a champ - we got him to urgent care later that day for an x-ray - sure enough-

next day we took him to his first Orthopedic visit - met a great doc that will be ours henceforth.. Luckily this is an incredibly common fracture called "Toddlers Fracture" and sadly we got ours at the tail end of it "being a thing" for kids - their bones are strong enough to withstand this stuff by 4 and he's 3 - because its common, they don't do casts on them anymore, just wear a support boot when he tries to walk, which he hasn't yet - doc says this usually takes 3-4 weeks to heal up so not a super long turn around time -

Its just super crazy, because this little dare devil was jumping off stuff all the time, riding bikes and running hard, but just that little twist got him - I was the same way, I knew the Ortho by a first name basis - Mountain bike accidents, skateboard accidents - you name it - its a bummer, but a part of growing up -

he said he wanted to sit in his car today - too painful for him to pedal it, but you can see what he thinks of his situation...

Thats all for now!

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 28, 2023

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

LobsterboyX posted:

So here's the trouble, shes not tech savvy and there's bad reception in the pole barn where this stuff lives... its literally eating away at my soul because there's so much stuff there, and im sure more than whats pictured.. but she literally cant transmit the info to me .. I want to make this deal happen first, but then after that, I really need to either go there myself, which really isn't in the cards right now, or send someone to just facetime and go thru the stuff. So if your near Madison WI and want to bust a mission for some old hot rod parts, lemme know!

... uhm... I have the next weekend or two tied up but I might be of service here.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

mekilljoydammit posted:

... uhm... I have the next weekend or two tied up but I might be of service here.

Yeah, I'm about 2 hours from Madison. Not exactly around the corner, but if something needs to happen I might be able to help.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Got my stickers earlier this week, the letter was a great touch.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DrChu posted:

Same, I have a few friends who will be sporting these soon. Is it ok to photocopy the letter to pass to them along with the sticker?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've got family and friends in Madison plus my Dad (3 hours away) is usually looking for reason to go look at cool old stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
The exact location is Montello Wi - if this helps anyone I said Madison because it looked like the largest, closest city.

DrChu posted:

Midjack posted:

Same, I have a few friends who will be sporting these soon. Is it ok to photocopy the letter to pass to them along with the sticker?

Thanks - The letter was just an afterthought and I made it up completely! so please, feel free!