Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So what does tea reading about 'states can't sue for indirect damages' foretell for student debt relief? Can the courts rule 'no you can't forgive debt'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

killer_robot posted:

So what does tea reading about 'states can't sue for indirect damages' foretell for student debt relief? Can the courts rule 'no you can't forgive debt'?

The modern Court can and will torture logical reasoning to get the result they want. I've given up the fiction they taught us in lawschool about the SCOTUS living by stare decisis and their decisions just be minor tweaks to new fact patterns that can be distinguished from previous holdings.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nitrousoxide posted:

The modern Court can and will torture logical reasoning to get the result they want. I've given up the fiction they taught us in lawschool about the SCOTUS living by stare decisis and their decisions just be minor tweaks to new fact patterns that can be distinguished from previous holdings.

One thing that isn't talked about is that congress is letting the Court get away with this. This judicial calvinball could be put to a stop rapidly if Congress were capable of either passing new laws to explicitly repeal the judicial fiats the Court is enacting, or capable of appointing more members to the Court and thus putting the Calvinball members into the minority.

But Congress isn't capable of doing either due to gridlock and Republicans, so the Court is unchecked with no effective limits on its power beyond public shaming. And so we are where we are.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Name Change posted:

4) The scrutiny and growing pressure for reform isn't good for the long-term power of the institution. You don't want to go down as the guy who hosed up the Good Ol Boys gravy train network for everyone else, even just by strengthening disclosure requirements.

the people who are asking to stop looking probably know one of their idiot friends messed up and could open them up to SOMETHING whether its criminal or civil or whatever.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Mooseontheloose posted:

the people who are asking to stop looking probably know one of their idiot friends messed up and could open them up to SOMETHING whether its criminal or civil or whatever.

There is video evidence of thomas or alito taking a sack of cash from one of their billionaire "buddies" on one of those outings, you know the one thing they said is actual evidence of bribery that actually counts for certain.

I mean that would be the one thing I could see actually causing changes to happen if that exists and comes out.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

killer_robot posted:

It means that when abortion is outlawed at the federal level states can’t sue.

Same for any “fugitive” act laws.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Oh. Even better >_<

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

killer_robot posted:

The courts can rule whatever they want. However, this is likely a signal to the states that the courts aren't necessarily going to play along with them making up the thinnest possible pretenses to drag half of federal law into the courtroom.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/22/22-1145/269676/20230623120226789_Sosa%20Amicus%20in%20Support%20of%20Petitioner%20FINAL.pdf

quote:

BRIEF OF AMICI CURIAE DAVID SOSA, DAVID SOSA, DAVID SOSA, DAVID SOSA, & THE INSTITUTE FOR JUSTICE IN SUPPORT OF PETITIONER DAVID SOSA

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I've had clients arrested for sharing the same name and similar date of birth by local police in Georgia. The entire 11th circuit being ok with taking multiple days to confirm the actual presence of the subject of a warrant is hosed up. I hope David Sosa gets his petition granted so that David Sosa, David Sosa, David Sosa and David Sosa (and ~915 other David Sosas) can go to Disney without fear.

With this court, they'll probably apply the 11th's decision to every circuit though :sigh:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Slaan posted:

I've had clients arrested for sharing the same name and similar date of birth by local police in Georgia. The entire 11th circuit being ok with taking multiple days to confirm the actual presence of the subject of a warrant is hosed up. I hope David Sosa gets his petition granted so that David Sosa, David Sosa, David Sosa and David Sosa (and ~915 other David Sosas) can go to Disney without fear.

With this court, they'll probably apply the 11th's decision to every circuit though :sigh:

Are there really so many David Sosa's in America?

I realize there are more than 330 million Americans, but even so, there being 919 David Sosa's doesn't sound right.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yep. You would be amazed. I used to work for the U.S. Passport Agency with the Dept of State. We had to ID people with the same name and birthday all the time by ging down to place of birth or even deeper. Less common names are more common than one would think.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hell, when I was still managing bars, we'd run into this all the time. We'd scan a card to get a name for the tab, 90% of cards would default to Lastname/Firstname. It was exceedingly common to see things like Smith/John, but at least once a month we'd have 2 folks in with the same exact name and have to figure out another way to differentiate between their tabs. Rarely a problem that couldn't be dealt with, but the funniest was when it was 2 Russian last names that went over the character limit, apparently 2 brothers, who both started tabs and rang up an absolutely ridiculous number of drinks. Luckily they were cool once we explained that we had no good way to differentiate and didn't realize until it was too late, so we just merged and split in 50%.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Saying someone is “one in a million” means there are like at least over three hundred others like them in the US and ~8000 in the world.

There are a lot of humans.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Are there really so many David Sosa's in America?

I realize there are more than 330 million Americans, but even so, there being 919 David Sosa's doesn't sound right.

The brief calls out that there are over 17,000 John Roberts in the US. There are a lot of people in the US and the scale can really gently caress up perceptions.

See also just how "unique" fingerprinting is.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Slaan posted:

Yep. You would be amazed. I used to work for the U.S. Passport Agency with the Dept of State. We had to ID people with the same name and birthday all the time by ging down to place of birth or even deeper. Less common names are more common than one would think.

And of course for extra fun, databases sometimes have typos and mistakes and variations in spelling, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if someplace official had my patronymic listed as a middle-name (which I don't do, but who knows what I had in my papers when immigrating a pre-teen?), for example.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

OddObserver posted:

And of course for extra fun, databases sometimes have typos and mistakes and variations in spelling, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if someplace official had my patronymic listed as a middle-name (which I don't do, but who knows what I had in my papers when immigrating a pre-teen?), for example.

I believe the no-fly list in the US has also had a ton of issues with people being denied flights due to sharing a name with someone on the list.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
My buddy from college Osama Bin Laden really got hosed by that other Osama Bin Laden. Thanks, Osama.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Shooting Blanks posted:

I believe the no-fly list in the US has also had a ton of issues with people being denied flights due to sharing a name with someone on the list.

One of those people was a certain T Kennedy. Turns out names don't even need to completely match.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Shooting Blanks posted:

Khalid El-Masri was kidnapped, tortured, and imprisoned for four months by the CIA because he shared a name with an al qaeda member

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Court declines to intervene in the challenge for skirt mandate in an NC charte school.

Surprising but very nice.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1673696004179197953?t=D0xdEGO8GFabnH8WVx0xqw&s=19

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
moore v harper dropped, and well, i'll just let amy howe from scotusblog sum it up:

quote:

In this major election case, a group of Republican legislators from North Carolina argued that the “independent state legislature” theory – the idea that the Constitution’s elections clause gives state legislatures nearly unfettered authority to regulate federal elections, without interference from state courts – barred the North Carolina Supreme Court from setting aside a congressional map adopted by the state’s legislature. In April, the North Carolina Supreme Court, with a new 5-2 Republican majority, reversed its earlier ruling, holding that it lacked the power to review the challenges to the map. The court first holds that it has the power to review the case despite the subsequent NC Supreme Court decision. The court next holds that the elections clause "does not insulate state legislatures from the ordinary exercise of state judicial review." "The reasoning we unanimously embraced in Smiley [v. Holm] commands our continued respect," Roberts writes. "A state legislature may not 'create congressional districts independently of' requirements imposed 'by the state constitution with respect to the enactment of laws.'" The court says at the end that when they are interpreting state law, "state courts may not so exceed the bounds of ordinary judicial review as to unconstitutionally intrude upon" the legislature's role under the elections clause. But the Supreme Court is not deciding whether that happened in this case.

6-3, roberts, sotomayor, kagan, kavanaugh, barrett, jackson vs thomas, alito, and gorsuch against. basically sounds like a "knock this poo poo off you idiots" ruling, tbh. ends any thread of that independent state legislature poo poo, at least

Craig K fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 27, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Good

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

6-3, but thomas's dissent was "why is this even here it's moot as hell", so 7-2 against ISL theory, i guess

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
That's a shockingly good ruling. Wow.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Trump's theories on how he could overturn an election have all pretty much been swatted down in the courts right with this one? This would have theoretically allowed a state legislature to ignore the state constitution on how to apportion electors and let them override the will of the people. With this ruling they can't do that either.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So we're likely to get the student loan rulings on Thursday then? I'm guessing it'll probably be the last thing they announce.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

There Bias Two posted:

So we're likely to get the student loan rulings on Thursday then? I'm guessing it'll probably be the last thing they announce.

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1673698336728129537

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

They’re going to drop affirmative action and/or student loans on their way out of town

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Craig K posted:

6-3, but thomas's dissent was "why is this even here it's moot as hell", so 7-2 against ISL theory, i guess

This is an odd summary which makes it sound like Thomas wrote a separate dissent only about mootness.

There’s only one dissenting opinion in this case, by Thomas, and it has three parts: first he says the case is moot, then he agrees with the ISL theory, then he casts doubt on whether the federal courts can review state election law at all. Gorsuch joins that in full; Alito only joins the first part. So yeah, it’s 7-2 against the ISL, but of all people it’s Alito joining the majority on the merits.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So since the USSC said that courts do have the right to review congressional maps (among other things), how long until the NCSC reviews the matter of controversy?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cimber posted:

So since the USSC said that courts do have the right to review congressional maps (among other things), how long until the NCSC reviews the matter of controversy?

Never - the case is in fact moot. However the problem there is that if the Supreme Court always had to dismiss a case when the current specific controversy becomes moot they wouldn’t actually decide anything so they often just gloss over that sometimes.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

rjmccall posted:

This is an odd summary which makes it sound like Thomas wrote a separate dissent only about mootness.

There’s only one dissenting opinion in this case, by Thomas, and it has three parts: first he says the case is moot, then he agrees with the ISL theory, then he casts doubt on whether the federal courts can review state election law at all. Gorsuch joins that in full; Alito only joins the first part. So yeah, it’s 7-2 against the ISL, but of all people it’s Alito joining the majority on the merits.

apologies i misread, you've got it

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

Never - the case is in fact moot. However the problem there is that if the Supreme Court always had to dismiss a case when the current specific controversy becomes moot they wouldn’t actually decide anything so they often just gloss over that sometimes.

Well, the case was made moot because the NCSC said "Oh, we don't actually have the right to review this stuff." The USSC said "Yeah actually, you do have the right, don't listen to those legislators talking out their asses."

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Counterman v Colorado is a cyberstalking case where Counterman made hundreds of burner Facebook accounts to harass a local woman. His messages were very stalker-y, and some of them imagined harm to her, but the closest they got to being direct threats seems to have been saying “Die.” Colorado criminalizes “[r]epeatedly… mak[ing] any form of communication with another person… in a manner that would cause a reasonable person to suffer serious emotional distress”; the question is whether this is constitutional under the first amendment. Everyone accepts that there’s an exception to the freedom of speech for “true threats”, but what is the mens rea standard for threatening speech? There are four options: there could be no requirement of mens rea, as Colorado argues, and it should be sufficient to prove that a reasonable person would find the speech threatening; or there could be a requirement of recklessness, a conscious disregard for the risk of harm; or there could be a requirement of knowledge of almost certain harm; or there could be a requirement of purpose, a conscious intent to cause harm. Previous rulings about other exceptions have required mens rea, but the standard differs: incitement requires intent, but defamation requires only recklessness. The majority (Kagan, Roberts, Alito, Kavanaugh, Jackson) argues that mens rea is necessary to avoid chilling speech, but that recklessness is a sufficient standard for most of these first amendment exceptions, and incitement is specifically an exception because of its natural proximity to political speech. Sotomayor and Gorsuch would not reach this question because Counterman’s behavior should not be understood as pure speech and so should have a lower standard; they are also concerned about setting the mens rea as low as recklessness, and Sotomayor (alone) goes so far as to argue intent is the right standard. Barrett and Thomas would not require mens rea at all, and Thomas writes separately to complain about NYT v Sullivan.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 27, 2023

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

rjmccall posted:

Just as Roberts is a (not really) loser for the conservative court getting all the power but losing its prestige, so too is a Thomas a (not really) loser for no longer being able to make a mark with his insane 8-1 dissents lambasting the court for not going far enough to repeal civil rights or recognize the rights of vice principals to cavity search schoolgirls etc.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cimber posted:

Well, the case was made moot because the NCSC said "Oh, we don't actually have the right to review this stuff." The USSC said "Yeah actually, you do have the right, don't listen to those legislators talking out their asses."

I thought that was a second case but I guess technically not because the NCSC just went back and undid their previous decision?

The shenanigans with this case are very confusing.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

They’re going to drop affirmative action and/or student loans on their way out of town
Yeah, they like to do that. They're already on their billionaire friends planes to a tropical island before the opinions are public so they're nowhere near the fallout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, they like to do that. They're already on their billionaire friends planes to a tropical island before the opinions are public so they're nowhere near the fallout.
Oddly when they killed Roe last year it wasn’t the final week of the term