Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Escobarbarian posted:

Starting to think everyone who said the sidequests get good later was a liar I’m on 49% and they’re still like “pick up some linen for me”

I have not minded the sidequests at all even through the early game, I'm not sure where all the complaints are coming from. I mean, there's nothing earth-shattering going on, it's just random errands, but it's fun to get a little more immersion. And the sidequests in the area around the capital seemed really important for letting you know the political situation.

Finished the end of the first act last night, and I'm a bit at a loss at what they're doing with the story. Clive was trying to find the hooded man (who I really do not remember ever seeing in the prologue -- I even went back to watch the first Ifrit cutscene again but Clive just sees a man made of fire right before he transforms.) And even after Clive realizes it was him, Cid's still telling him to find this hooded Fire Dominant (who I totally called was Joshua), but then as soon as Jill wakes up, it feels like it's forgotten entirely in favor of blowing up the mothercrystal. (Also feel like there should have been some build-up for this reveal -- it feels like out of nowhere, Cid's just like "by the way, here's something that upends the entire structure of society, and it's definitely true.")

Also not sure how I feel about the time jump just yet. I feel like there should have been a lot of happenings in the last five years that we should have seen -- the fallout from the mothercrystal, the movement of the empire's armies, the death of the resistance, trying to find the hooded man again -- but then again I've only played the first little mission so far. I just don't have a good sense of what the story is about. Originally Clive was trying to find the guy who killed his brother, but we knew that was a red herring all along. Then maybe we were gonna try to help Cid emancipate the bearers, but then the end of Act 1 happened. Now I guess we're trying to emancipate the bearers still, but overthrowing three separate regimes of slavers is a pretty tall order, and also there's the weird alien things at the end of Act 1 and what the gently caress are they trying to do? I dunno, it just feels kinda meandering so far. I'm eager to figure out what the goal is gonna be, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I have not minded the sidequests at all even through the early game, I'm not sure where all the complaints are coming from. I mean, there's nothing earth-shattering going on, it's just random errands, but it's fun to get a little more immersion. And the sidequests in the area around the capital seemed really important for letting you know the political situation.

Finished the end of the first act last night, and I'm a bit at a loss at what they're doing with the story. Clive was trying to find the hooded man (who I really do not remember ever seeing in the prologue -- I even went back to watch the first Ifrit cutscene again but Clive just sees a man made of fire right before he transforms.) And even after Clive realizes it was him, Cid's still telling him to find this hooded Fire Dominant (who I totally called was Joshua), but then as soon as Jill wakes up, it feels like it's forgotten entirely in favor of blowing up the mothercrystal. (Also feel like there should have been some build-up for this reveal -- it feels like out of nowhere, Cid's just like "by the way, here's something that upends the entire structure of society, and it's definitely true.")

Also not sure how I feel about the time jump just yet. I feel like there should have been a lot of happenings in the last five years that we should have seen -- the fallout from the mothercrystal, the movement of the empire's armies, the death of the resistance, trying to find the hooded man again -- but then again I've only played the first little mission so far. I just don't have a good sense of what the story is about. Originally Clive was trying to find the guy who killed his brother, but we knew that was a red herring all along. Then maybe we were gonna try to help Cid emancipate the bearers, but then the end of Act 1 happened. Now I guess we're trying to emancipate the bearers still, but overthrowing three separate regimes of slavers is a pretty tall order, and also there's the weird alien things at the end of Act 1 and what the gently caress are they trying to do? I dunno, it just feels kinda meandering so far. I'm eager to figure out what the goal is gonna be, you know?

Clive blamed the 'hooded man' for what happened because he couldn't face what he did. After he first transforms into Ifrit he realized 'oh gently caress, it was me' and gets all into despair. Cid tells him "Fine, maybe it was you, maybe it wasn't, but *I* saw a hooded man too so at very least he exists. So go and find the dude and figure out if you really did it, and if it was then kill yourself or learn to move forward." Clive leaps onto the possibility and is finally forced to directly confront that, yes, it was him, he did it, there's no pushing that aside. Clive had to confront the fact that he actually killed a whole lot of people because he lost control, even if he didn't intend to.

Also Jill wakes up and goes with Clive on the mission to Phoenix Gate to find out what really happened. After that is figured out they go back to Cid and he's like "Yep, this is how it is" and considering he's been straight with them so far they agree with him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phenotype posted:

The build-up to that is subtle, but it's there. They show you in a few different ways that magic drains lifeforce in this world. First, a key feature of the Deadlands is that they've been drained of aether, which is both what fuels magic and what allows living things to, well, live, so nothing can grow in those areas and you can't use magic at all. Then they introduce the Crystals' Curse, which happens as a Bearer or Dominant starts to run out of their own lifeforce to power their magic and they gradually petrify--it's the Blight on a human scale. And if the Mothercrystals are huge wellsprings of magic, and magic drains aether... then what are the Mothercrystals really doing?

It's not really spelled out or directly hinted at before the reveal, but the clues are all there.

Also about the hooded man: he's there in the prologue, the first time Clive has a headache.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Clive blamed the 'hooded man' for what happened because he couldn't face what he did. After he first transforms into Ifrit he realized 'oh gently caress, it was me' and gets all into despair. Cid tells him "Fine, maybe it was you, maybe it wasn't, but *I* saw a hooded man too so at very least he exists. So go and find the dude and figure out if you really did it, and if it was then kill yourself or learn to move forward." Clive leaps onto the possibility and is finally forced to directly confront that, yes, it was him, he did it, there's no pushing that aside. Clive had to confront the fact that he actually killed a whole lot of people because he lost control, even if he didn't intend to.

Also Jill wakes up and goes with Clive on the mission to Phoenix Gate to find out what really happened. After that is figured out they go back to Cid and he's like "Yep, this is how it is" and considering he's been straight with them so far they agree with him.

Sure, but once Clive comes to terms with the fact that he was the one who turned into Ifrit, they just stop worrying about the hooded man entirely. I guess events kinda moved quickly from there, but I still thought that was one of the plot threads that were still active, finding the hooded man and seeing what he knows.

And I'm not suggesting that they should have disbelieved Cid, or that it doesn't make sense from the worldbuilding we've seen, I'm just saying it kinda came out of nowhere. Maybe on an earlier mission we find a weird macguffin and then after they do some tests Cid's like "yep, this proves my theory." As it is, he's just done this whole research project entirely offscreen, which feels kinda weird.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Hey, here's a dumb entirely unrelated question: So on the Home screen, you'll have a game highlighted, and if you press down a couple times you can pick from a handful of videos from other Playstation users that it thinks are related to your gameplay, and if you click on one it'll play right there. Is there any way to scroll through a larger amount of these? All my suggested videos for Street Fighter are people playing World Tour mode, but it would be cool if I could get actual ranked gameplay vids to show up instead. It just tells me to go to Youtube if I want more, though. Would like to be able to quickly put on a video if I have to get up to feed the dog n cat, or while I'm making food or coffee.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Shoutout to the incredibly thirsty NPC hanging out at the home base

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Trying to get some Diablo 4 in with fridgelina but stuck at the queue to log in for ages. How can I get a refund for this joke of a game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

man nurse posted:

Shoutout to the incredibly thirsty NPC hanging out at the home base

She is my favorite NPC.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Phenotype posted:

You've completely glossed over entire, pivotal scenes here.

First of all, yes, the hooded man does appear in the prologue, you missed him, it's right after the Dragoon fight. Second, Cid does say to go find the hooded man, and then Jill wakes up, and then they go find out by heading to Phoenix Gate. Like, the hooded man showed up, he was there, he pulled down his hood and it was "Clive". Clive made his peace with "the hooded man" after this, it was all dealt with and over once Clive got his Limit Break, and instead he shifted his focus to help out Bearers because he no longer wanted to die. Then Cid tells him, using Clive's own words, that destroying the Mothercrystals is necessary for what Clive wants: a world where people can live on their own terms. The Mothercrystals Are Bad is the literal first thing the game says when you boot it up.

Like, this is not difficult. Clive wants a better world. To make a better world: Bearers need to be emancipated and given rights and Mothercrystals need to be destroyed. There's your goal. Clearly the freaky alien things are also a concern but there's nothing they can proactively do about that at the moment.

Terper fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 27, 2023

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I will no longer complain about the side quests after i did the best one in the game before the point of no return one of the small towns on the way to Oriflamme has a little girl who needs help finding her pet. It’s incredible and the comedic timing of the “quest accomplished” music layered over her crying is loving perfection. Annnnd there’s a quest nearby that ends up with a rich noble piece of poo poo being eaten by a wolf so yea.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Terper posted:

You've completely glossed over entire, pivotal scenes here.

First of all, yes, the hooded man does appear in the prologue, you missed him, it's right after the Dragoon fight. Second, Cid does say to go find the hooded man, and then Jill wakes up, and then they go find out by heading to Phoenix Gate. Like, the hooded man showed up, he was there, he pulled down his hood and it was "Clive". Clive made his peace with "the hooded man" after this and decided it was no longer something worth going after, instead shifting his focus to help out Bearers. Then Cid tells him, using Clive's own words, that destroying the Mothercrystals is necessary for what Clive wants: a world where people can live on their own terms. The Mothercrystals Are Bad is the literal first thing the game says when you boot it up.

Like, this is not difficult. Clive wants a better world. To make a better world: Bearers need to be emancipated and given rights and Mothercrystals need to be destroyed. There's your goal. Clearly the freaky alien things are also a concern but there's nothing they can proactively do about that at the moment.

There are two hooded men. They look the same because it suits the narrative better.

Joshua is walking around in a hood, but Clive is also seeing a hooded man that seems to be some vision connected to Ultima and whatever its plan is for Clive with the whole Mythos thing he keeps being called. He saw this vision in the prologue, before Joshua ever started wearing one and before he had gone Ifrit and caused all the deaths.

As he starts to put the pieces of that night together, Clive believes this second hooded man is actually a representation of his denial and guilt over Phoenix Gate and all in his head.

When he accepts responsibility, he thinks that the hooded man mystery is solved. At this point he does seem to forget both that he saw the man before any of that happened, and that Cid and many other people saw him too though.

(I'm a bit further than Phenotype but nothing in this post comes from after where he is.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 27, 2023

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

There are two hooded men. They look the same because it suits the narrative better.

Joshua is walking around in a hood, but Clive is also seeing a hooded man that seems to be some vision connected to Ultima and whatever its plan is for Clive with the whole Mythos thing he keeps being called. He saw this vision in the prologue, before Joshua ever started wearing one and before he had gone Ifrit and caused all the deaths.

As he starts to put the pieces of that night together, Clive believes this second hooded man is actually a representation of his denial and guilt over Phoenix Gate and all in his head.

When he accepts responsibility, he thinks that the hooded man mystery is solved. At this point he does seem to forget both that he saw the man before any of that happened, and that Cid and many other people saw him too though.

(I'm a bit further than Phenotype but nothing in this post comes from after where he is.)

Yes, there are two, but both are real. The hooded man Clive sees is physical. Both Jill and Cid see him, because he has a physical form and is not just a vision of Clive's. That's not Joshua they saw before the fight with Garuda or when they're heading into Phoenix Gate. The hooded man mystery is solved, strange details notwithstanding, because Clive never sees Joshua before the first Mothercrystal.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

Isn't there like a Final Fantasy thread for this

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yes, you're in it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Today I've seen someone complain about talking about an FF game in the FF thread and a PS5 game in the PS5 thread.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Can't really blame anyone for mistaking chat about the first discussion-worthy PS5 exclusive since Returnal as off-topic noise. If you've been reading this thread for the last two years you might've gotten the impression that this thread is for counting the zero PS5 games

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's always been funny to me that even though the PS5 basically has like 15 exclusives, most of them are are also on PS4 and therefore sullied in the minds of the masses.

Now we finally have a true PS5 exclusive and it runs at about 15-60fps and also is going to be on PC.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think vvv said this but it’s nice playing a game that is linear in the way of MOVE FORWARD FIGHTING THINGS TO THE NEXT COOL CUTSCENE without having to make a million decisions, find your way if you get lost, worry about builds blah blah blah. You can just boot up FF16 and make meaningful progress and it rules.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

the PS5 basically has like 15 exclusives

quote:

most of them are are also on PS4

What do you think the word exclusive means exactly

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Kilometers Davis posted:

I think vvv said this but it’s nice playing a game that is linear in the way of MOVE FORWARD FIGHTING THINGS TO THE NEXT COOL CUTSCENE without having to make a million decisions, find your way if you get lost, worry about builds blah blah blah. You can just boot up FF16 and make meaningful progress and it rules.

:yeah:

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah, part of my gamer brain wants to complain about how streamlined it all is, but honestly it's working for me and it's fun, so shut up gamer brain.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Kinda wish it felt like the economy mattered even a bit.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

History Comes Inside! posted:

The worst is 10 minutes of cutscenes followed by the map screen where all you can do is select the one unlocked location where you get treated to 10 more minutes of cutscenes

Yeah it rules

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Arist posted:

Yes, you're in it

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, that's what throws me a bit, he can't decide "Oh, the hooded man was me all along" when he's had Cid and Gav chasing down an actual other person this whole time. Although I guess once he comes to terms with himself, he decides it's just some random hooded fiery guy doin his own thing.

Couch Life posted:

y'know, I only realized there was an actual FF16 thread after I posted this, and it seemed lame to double post or whatever, but I can move my musings there. This has felt a lot like the official FF16 for the last week tho lol.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Couch Life posted:

Yes the ps5 thread for this ps5 game, welcome!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

no more talking about ps5 games, this thread is only for talking about the PS5 Home Screen, how hot the fan is, and controller ergonomics

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yes, it does rules, loaded it up for an hour did a tough hunt and sone tiny plot progess, nothing big or epic, just foundation laying. It owns

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Fix posted:

Kinda wish it felt like the economy mattered even a bit.

The econony of pulling off the sickest slick poo poo fight moves does matter

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Terper posted:

Then Cid tells him, using Clive's own words, that destroying the Mothercrystals is necessary for what Clive wants: a world where people can live on their own terms. The Mothercrystals Are Bad is the literal first thing the game says when you boot it up.

Right on, but it seemed like a very long shot even when (post act 1 spoilers) Cid had the Hideaway built up with his giant network of connections, but now we're suddenly five years later and it looks like we're running a much more ramshackle operation and not getting anywhere, to the point where the very first mission has the Bearers saying "why are you even bothering, it just ends up hurting us when you try to free people." I still get the sense that there's another big status quo shift coming that shakes up the apparent rut that we've been in, and it makes me feel like I still don't really have a handle on the plot.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Lol

https://www.veryaligaming.com/sony-reward-nfts-game-achievements/

Lmao

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t remember who said it but “the xp accessories are pointless because the level cap is 50 before ng+” is a wildly wrong take, I’ve had them both equipped since the earliest point you can get them and after doing literally all the side quests and hunts I’m only just about to hit 50 as I go into the final area.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I did an A-rank hunt once and gained two levels from it without the ring, I'm still presumably a ways off from the ending and don't even have the ring yet, but I can't imagine it's super necessary.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

they have a whole department of people coming up with stupid patents all the time. it's mostly so if any other studio thinks of doing it, they have to pay sony money. there are endless stupid video game patents out there, never to be used. it was filed in December 2021.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Arist posted:

I did an A-rank hunt once and gained two levels from it without the ring, I'm still presumably a ways off from the ending and don't even have the ring yet, but I can't imagine it's super necessary.

Yeah the xp rewards for those are fixed (they scale with the accessories like all other xp but they’re otherwise the same whatever level you do them at) so if you brute force your way through high level ones while you’re low level it’s comparatively shitloads of xp.

Tbf there’s a lot that could be said about levelling being completely superfluous anyway but that’s a different conversation.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The NFTs have yet to interfere with any of the games I play so I can't feel as mad about their existence as I probably should be.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Somewhat related to that, the pausing to show your stats went up the exact same amount as the last 30 times you leveled up gets old

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

FireWorksWell posted:

Somewhat related to that, the pausing to show your stats went up the exact same amount as the last 30 times you leveled up gets old

My stats/level have *seemed* to matter exactly once, when I took on a level 50 hunt at level 20 something and it managed to one hit kill me at some point in my first attempt, possibly because I just didn’t have enough hp from lack of stats but I guess it could also have just been an attack that’s a one hit kill regardless.

Killed it the second attempt though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

If you're talking about Atlas (I think was the name anyway) yeah that one hit like a truck and I was low 30s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hateful and disgusting