Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I'm not kidding. Violet is all-time awful, right up there with that fuckin Star Wars fighting game, Batman Forever, and My Friend Peppa Pig.

I remember my friend renting that Star Wars fighting game and because we were like 10 at the time, we found it really funny that there was a character named "Hoar". Aside from that, the only other thing I remember about that game is that there was a woman who had a mechanical arm. Oh, and I think Mara Jade was also one of the characters in it? That's about all that comes to mind.

To be more on topic, I think I'm almost done with my playthrough of Salt and Sanctuary and I really enjoyed the game overall. Not perfect and it's more or less "Dark Souls 1 but 2D" but it was fun and I'd recommend checking it out, especially if it goes on sale again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
yeah obviously the release cycle is poo poo but it was pretty annoying when i was trying to find out if the game was worth playing or not. this has been a problem in pokemon for like a decade now and everyone knows it, why reiterate it every time

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pikmin 2's caves are great and I am thrilled they're back in 4

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Raserys posted:

yeah obviously the release cycle is poo poo but it was pretty annoying when i was trying to find out if the game was worth playing or not. this has been a problem in pokemon for like a decade now and everyone knows it, why reiterate it every time

I like it and I think it's worth playing. :colbert: Scarvi are the best Pokemon games since Black and White.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Should I play Fire Emblem Three Houses or Engage?

I haven't played the series since the 3DS.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

They are pretty different games.

Engage is a more standard Fire Emblem game but is heavily built around cameos and nostalgia. It is however pretty tightly designed and fun to play. Three Houses is more of its own thing (school sim + Fire Emblem + route splits) and is probably the more interesting game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
To enjoy Three Houses, you have to enjoy the part of the game where you're not in combat - where you run around a big area, talking to people, using facilities to raise different stats or getting items, etc. If you don't like that sort of thing you're probably going to get frustrated with the time it takes to do that part of the game.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

It cannot possibly be that difficult for Nintendo to port Wii / Gamecube games to the switch, can it?
Despite owning half a dozen gamecubes, 3 Wiis and 2 WiiUs I'd pay $100 for Fire Emblem Path of Radiance / Radiant Dawn for the switch.

That being said, my 10-year-old gave up on Engage after about a week because he thought it was too hard. I think he finished Three Houses and he finished 2 of them on the 3DS.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

gonna +1 what ImpAtom said (though i disagree phrasing it as "heavily built around cameos and nostalgia"), though i will add i think 3H is better for total newcomers to the series so i suppose it depends on how long you played/remember of the 3DS games. IMO Three Houses has the better story and worldbuilding, Engage has the better gameplay and is more streamlined...cointoss honestly imo, though i lean Engage

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

otter posted:

That being said, my 10-year-old gave up on Engage after about a week because he thought it was too hard. I think he finished Three Houses and he finished 2 of them on the 3DS.

Engage even on normal is quite tricky, i think my 3H Blue Lions run on Hard was easier than Engage on Normal lol

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

otter posted:

It cannot possibly be that difficult for Nintendo to port Wii / Gamecube games to the switch, can it?
Despite owning half a dozen gamecubes, 3 Wiis and 2 WiiUs I'd pay $100 for Fire Emblem Path of Radiance / Radiant Dawn for the switch.

Pikmin 1 + 2 are running in the same code wrapper/Not Emulator thing that Mario 3D All Stars used, so they certainly could drop in other GameCube/Wii games. I fully expect this to happen for F-Zero GX.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

jackhunter64 posted:

Pikmin 1 + 2 are running in the same code wrapper/Not Emulator thing that Mario 3D All Stars used, so they certainly could drop in other GameCube/Wii games. I fully expect this to happen for F-Zero GX.

I don't get why Nintendo isn't doing this.
Take a small team dedicated to the project and have them do a Super Select program. New GCN/Wii release each month or two for $40 each. They can just print money that way unless it's an issue of having to pay original devs or something.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Regy Rusty posted:

Pikmin 2's caves are great and I am thrilled they're back in 4

Same, but then I have always liked the exploration part of Pikmin more than the time and army management part, though I was never against the time limit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In the case of Fire Emblem it might be because the US version of the game made changes that IIRC ended up making the save transfer to the sequel kind of break so it might require more effort than just slapping an .iso in.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Another thing that makes me for Pikmin 2 caves is to see a whole new generation of gamers going "WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS BULLSHIT?!" on twitter.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

ImpAtom posted:

In the case of Fire Emblem it might be because the US version of the game made changes that IIRC ended up making the save transfer to the sequel kind of break so it might require more effort than just slapping an .iso in.

That's a good point. I'm sure a few smart kids at Nintendo could figure a way to make it have a virtual memory card in the game save and trick the old game.

I also think they need to release Mother 3 on the switch /nso. I'm about 3 1/2 hours into it right now and it's pretty good. Finally getting some use out of the analogue pocket.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

otter posted:

Even though Dolphin does a great job with GC/Wii emulation, it's a product of two decades of work. I'd hardly call GC/Wii emulation "easy", though it's easier than PS3 and 360. Also the Switch doesn't have enough CPU performance to fully emulate the Wii CPU, so they have to do this hybrid model where they natively compile the game code but emulate the GC/Wii GPU.

That said, porting is probably fairly straightforward and Nintendo certainly has the sources for first-party developed titles (though I'm less certain about only first-party published ones). Either way I'm sure Nintendo wants to do full QA passes so there's still a good bit of labor involved for lengthier titles.

otter posted:

Take a small team dedicated to the project and have them do a Super Select program. New GCN/Wii release each month or two for $40 each.
I don't think they like money.

There was a time I would've been a fan of this, but given that Dolphin runs great on the Steam Deck, ROG Ally, etc., I'm totally content playing old Nintendo games there instead.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ImpAtom posted:

There's also the fact that both PoR and RD sold like dogshit so there's probably a lot of suits at Nintendo who are convinced that the games wouldn't sell on Switch. Hang how popular Ike is.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

otter posted:

So far they've done
Mario Sunshine
Pikmin 1 and 2
Metroid Prime

I'm sure there are more coming from Nintendo. Of course there are more from not Nintendo, like Baten kaitos, monkey ball, etc

GameCube ports are all a matter of release schedule more than any difficult porting them. They probably have 3 or 4 complete ones unannounced

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I don't think they like money.
It seems like this is true some times.
With regard to porting the games to the switch, it would be "easier" for Nintendo to do it than anyone since they know all the secrets of their original systems and they in theory, have the original code saved somewhere. I'm sure there are a lot of games in which someone went "Hey, let's save 500 mb of space on this archive and dump all this code since the game already shipped 2 years ago" and they are kicking themselves for it.I'm sure they have a de-compiling tool they could use though. I think there was a major tide change for game companies who originally considered a game to be something that would come out in August and be forgotten about by next August. What was the big change? Maybe Mario 3?

Radiant Dawn is the one I didn't buy because I had seen it at Gamestop and thought, "Oh cool, I'll get that after I get paid" (I was doing contracting at the time instead of "career" work) and the next week that gamestop closed.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

So far they've done
Mario Sunshine
Pikmin 1 and 2
Metroid Prime

I'm sure there are more coming from Nintendo. Of course there are more from not Nintendo, like Baten kaitos, monkey ball, etc

GameCube ports are all a matter of release schedule more than any difficult porting them. They probably have 3 or 4 complete ones unannounced

Speaking of GameCube games, does anyone know which versions of Metal Gear Solid Konami is porting?

Given the file sizes, I'm pretty sure it's the mgs HD collection for ps3, but i can't be certain.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Inzombiac posted:

One thing I would add to this- although i found the outside battle stuff on three houses to get a bit old- in Engage you still have that stuff, and you miss out on mechanical benefits for not doing it. This is v bad imo because that content is at best empty and bland and at worse (depending how allergic you are to anime tropes and 'fan service') loving cringe. There are no character stakes and so the gameplay just feels abstract to the point where I wish it would have interesting theming.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Science_enthusiast posted:

One thing I would add to this- although i found the outside battle stuff on three houses to get a bit old- in Engage you still have that stuff, and you miss out on mechanical benefits for not doing it. This is v bad imo because that content is at best empty and bland and at worse (depending how allergic you are to anime tropes and 'fan service') loving cringe. There are no character stakes and so the gameplay just feels abstract to the point where I wish it would have interesting theming.

this motherfucker let Sommie be lonely. your execution is at dawn

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I got so bored of 3h on release before even finishing the one route, that after that and echoes I thought maybe I had fallen off of liking fire emblem but I loved engage and it’s made me replay and play other entries again

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I basically didn't care about any character from engage. Three houses had characters that were at least somewhat interesting. Engage is nothing but wall to wall anime trope person who has That One Thing they care about and nothing else.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Raserys posted:

whenever someone talks about how they liked scarlet/violet they have to put like 5 asterisks on it to clarify that they disapprove of the pokemon production cycle and have good unsullied taste

I liked scarlet, no qualifiers

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

the Engage overlap between outside battle stuff that matters for mechanical skill and outside battle stuff with "loving cringe anime tropes" begins and ends with exercising at most. everything else is either menu-based micromanagement, or purely for supports. like i'm not going to defend Engage supports as not overall being rather weak but it's very easy to avoid the Somniel stuff that affects them and instead only refine/engrave/inherit skills/etc

e: cooking too now that i think about it but it takes like 10 seconds so w/e

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My main issue with Violet is they were lazy with naming all the Paradox Pokemon "Iron X", while Scarlet got much cooler and more varied names.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah but have you considered that Purple > Red?

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

hatty posted:

:hmmwrong:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

hatty posted:

Purple, cyber aesthetics, actual motorcycle.
Violet stays winning I haven't played either

Also, I was going to buy FE Engage but it turns out I own 3H already. It was in a weird novelty case in the back of a cabinet. No idea where the original box went.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

TotK question: ~100 hours in, I've managed to find most of the important gear without assistance, but there are no major landmarks left to check, and I'm still missing two big ones: the goddamn Hylian Shield, and the Zonaite armor chest piece. I'd like to know their general whereabouts (not exact locations).

Also - possibly related - is the tiny island over Lookout Landing just an extra historical tablet, or is it something more?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I always follow two tenants for Pokemon.

1) I always pick the "second" version (I skipped gens 5-7, so for me that meant Blue/Silver/Sapphire/Pearl/Shield/Violet).

2) I always pick the grass starter. Luckily, in 6 out of 9 gens the grass starter has been the coolest (Gen 4 is a three-way tie so have fun guessing the other two gens).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Optimist Prime posted:

TotK question: ~100 hours in, I've managed to find most of the important gear without assistance, but there are no major landmarks left to check, and I'm still missing two big ones: the goddamn Hylian Shield, and the Zonaite armor chest piece. I'd like to know their general whereabouts (not exact locations).

Also - possibly related - is the tiny island over Lookout Landing just an extra historical tablet, or is it something more?

Hylian Shield: Same general location it was in BOTW but different specifics. If you've already been to that area you'll need to explore more thoroughly.

Zonaite armor: I don't remember where the chest is specifically but all 3 of those are on the three completely unique sky islands with their own unique type of puzzles. So look for the one of those that you haven't found armor on.

Tiny island: Thats the island where the tablet that fell into lookout landing and started that side quest came from. Apparently you can actually reach that island (it's extremely high up) but its tablet already fell so there is nothing on it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also here you go for you SMRPG fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKdkWTbUkIQ

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Hylian Shield: Same general location it was in BOTW but different specifics. If you've already been to that area you'll need to explore more thoroughly.

Zonaite armor: I don't remember where the chest is specifically but all 3 of those are on the three completely unique sky islands with their own unique type of puzzles. So look for the one of those that you haven't found armor on.
Thanks, I had a feeling I just missed them before. I'll take another look.

quote:

Tiny island: Thats the island where the tablet that fell into lookout landing and started that side quest came from. Apparently you can actually reach that island (it's extremely high up) but its tablet already fell so there is nothing on it.
:ughh:

Well, at least I can stop trying to fly there.

E: found the armor in the first place I looked. Of course it was on Mission Impossible Island, just really, really well-hidden.

Optimist Prime fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

otter posted:

Take a small team dedicated to the project and have them do a Super Select program. New GCN/Wii release each month or two for $40 each. They can just print money that way unless it's an issue of having to pay original devs or something.

There is at least a bit of work adapting the old gamecube controller scheme to Switch peripherals. Not just making the alternate assignments work, but also the on-screen graphics showing controller buttons and text is updated to reflect this. I recently played Pikmin 2 on my old Wii and I would say that the new Switch conversion while overpriced is a lot more than just an emulator wrapper. I don't know if they've actually added any uprezzed assets or texture maps, but the game looks fantastic in HD. Still I wish there was a way to play Pikmin with an OG wavebird.

The Thousand Year Door on Switch : when?