Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So the actual video is just about FF16's NPCs all being unlikely shitheads. Which was perfectly recoverable in Divinity Original Sin, so it's probably workable here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Violet_Sky posted:

Yeah those kinds of negative videos started to weigh on me during covid and never let up. I think the issue is that they never really seem to call for action beyond "games industry bad". I get that capitalism gotta capitalism but what exactly can the viewer do? Most people don't care about the poor working conditions in the entertainment industry. Hell, look how many people whined about the writer's strike "ruining their shows".

This was also me. It sucks because Podquisition got me through some really lovely times, but the overwhelming negativity just became too much, especially on top of COVID and everything. I think you hit the nail on the head. I feel bad because Stephanie has seemed so much happier since transitioning and it's genuinely awesome to see.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Motto posted:

I simply can't trust a critic who could call a time spent with Cid "miserable"

Hey she said Cid was the exception.

And I myself will never get tired of her dunking on Activision and the like. And it should never ever stop. But while more positive videos like last weeks would be nice. Sterling also seems tp have become chained to the negativity rewarding algorithms

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Steph used to be one of few people with relatively mainstream success who held the industry's feet to the fire. But there's other, better produced and more in-depth stuff out there, while she's stuck basically doing a repeat of previous greatest hits moments. I haven't unsubbed but I haven't bothered with a single video in years, there's just nothing them about that compels a watch any more. Like watching a band you used to like become a cover band for their own songs.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I am simply going to keep enjoying playing FF16 and hooting and hollering every time I get a max charge Bahamut Megaflare off and rain death down upon my enemies instead of watching a review that sounds kinda mid (not to be confused with Mid, who is cool).

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
did she do her own investigations or does she summarize other people's work <- genuine question

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Here's a fun video about a really cool Tetris match.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In the year 2023, Street Fighter 6 has a greater claim to being an RPG than Final Fantasy XVI.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In the year 2023, Street Fighter 6 has a greater claim to being an RPG than Final Fantasy XVI.

Stronger female characters, too. :smugdog:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

fun hater posted:

did she do her own investigations or does she summarize other people's work <- genuine question
She played the game herself and spoke about her own experiences with the sidequests.
Sterling may be negative, but I dont see her as an information regurgitator.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dawgstar posted:

Stronger female characters, too. :smugdog:

Over half the cast is non-white.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

fun hater posted:

The industry news stuff was, unless it was a smaller creator she had begun beefing with, just talking about other sites' news articles. I don't know of any AAA game dev stories ever being broken from the channel.

I make that sound bad: on a few occasions she'd dig into low-tier asset flippers or scummy devs and they tended to take this very personally, which was why she got in the muck as someone with a bit more reach than most of them could scare off or take down.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

claw game handjob posted:

The industry news stuff was, unless it was a smaller creator she had begun beefing with, just talking about other sites' news articles. I don't know of any AAA game dev stories ever being broken from the channel.

She has spoken of having direct anonymous sources in many of the more worker-oriented videos, but I don’t know of her breaking any story

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Pigbuster posted:

New Iron Pineapple dumpster diving. The third game, Tanthious, is one of the funniest ones he's ever played imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N0FdGM8c_I

are there any other youtubers doing quick indie game reviews like this? I love the 7th guests writeups on demos in the steam thread, and would love to see more people try to cover this stuff.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i, too, have direct anonymous sources

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Alaois posted:

i, too, have direct anonymous sources

Like mother like child

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

tinaun posted:

are there any other youtubers doing quick indie game reviews like this? I love the 7th guests writeups on demos in the steam thread, and would love to see more people try to cover this stuff.

DoshDoshington is a new favorite of mine. He's mainly known for his fun gimmick Factorio playthroughs, like this one of the mod that lets you jump trains off of ramps, but where he really shines is when he spotlights extremely obscure indie games. He has an impressively high tolerance for janky mechanics and unfairly difficult nonsense, making him a perfect ambassador for these games that put off just about everyone else, digging through them to unearth the fascinating gems they contain.

His newest one goes over a particularly weird dev:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-XaVVGLLts

His video on Marrow is focused on just the one game, but it's the ultimate example of his superhuman tolerance. Throughout the video he dissects his own enjoyment of the game, trying to puzzle out how he can like such an agonizing experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO6veXSfeXw

And here's a faster-paced one going through various potion-making games which are much less obscure than the previous but he still gives great insight. Contains the only time I've seen him outright dislike a game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0sIBsp-d6A

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 27, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ibblebibble posted:

I am simply going to keep enjoying playing FF16 and hooting and hollering every time I get a max charge Bahamut Megaflare off and rain death down upon my enemies instead of watching a review that sounds kinda mid (not to be confused with Mid, who is cool).

wait does FF16 bring back Mid, everyone's* favorite character from FF5?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
I miss when Super Bunnyhop would review random games he got in his inbox, that was a fun segment.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I miss when super bunnyhop did literally anything

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Schwarzwald posted:

In the same way it “brings back” Cid, sure. It’s not the same character obviously but shares a lot of similarities

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is an extremely silly and fun video. 40 lightning bolts versus 40 ragavans: playing magic decks that contain only one card
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAkFMdFsj1U&hd=1

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nuebot posted:

It was more about how people who complain about reviews do so from the dumbest and impossible position ever; basically the cyclical argument that if a reviewer hasn't provably finished a game (however long that takes) then they didn't "really" review it and are just lying for attention.

i don't think this point is helped much by them making a video a couple weeks later in which you can pinpoint the exact minute of FFXVI where they stopped playing to write a tv broadcast-length critique about a story they're still in the early chapters of.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's good to realize you don't like a game and stop playing it. Healthier than turning into a Diablo 4 thread poster.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Augus posted:

i don't think this point is helped much by them making a video a couple weeks later in which you can pinpoint the exact minute of FFXVI where they stopped playing to write a tv broadcast-length critique about a story they're still in the early chapters of.

She did say she would do a full review later on. So I am assuming she wants to finish it. (and she did seem to enjoy the main story more than the side content)

Her beef with the villains not being as villainous as random townsfolk sounds hilarious tho.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Just posting the new Cybershell video entirely for the ad-read bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKdkWTbUkIQ

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Schwarzwald posted:

I just met this character. I didn't know she was a character in a previous FF, is that true?

She Kool Aid Man'd into the game out of nowhere and I already love her

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

KingKalamari posted:

Just posting the new Cybershell video entirely for the ad-read bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKdkWTbUkIQ

Salute to my fellow goon cybers hell

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I just met this character. I didn't know she was a character in a previous FF, is that true?

She Kool Aid Man'd into the game out of nowhere and I already love her

she's the same character in the sense that cid is the same character

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

New Iron Pineapple dumpster diving. The third game, Tanthious, is one of the funniest ones he's ever played imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N0FdGM8c_I

genuine lol also ty to the guy posting new cybershell.

Grassy Knowles posted:

She has spoken of having direct anonymous sources in many of the more worker-oriented videos, but I don’t know of her breaking any story

hmm. i think talking to people on the inside after a story has broke and the "floodgates open" kind of still serves a purpose in discussions of industry abuse but i think its tacky to consistently be rehashing other peoples work for profit. obv this doesnt apply to game reviews bc that would be insane

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

fun hater posted:

genuine lol also ty to the guy posting new cybershell.

hmm. i think talking to people on the inside after a story has broke and the "floodgates open" kind of still serves a purpose in discussions of industry abuse but i think its tacky to consistently be rehashing other peoples work for profit. obv this doesnt apply to game reviews bc that would be insane

Presenting information from inside sources is not "rehashing other peoples work" lmao

Anyway I also stopped watching their videos years ago because there's only so many times you can cover the same industry issues before it all gets too repetitive. The Duke D'Hardcore videos were fun though, more things like that would have been good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DeafNote posted:

She did say she would do a full review later on. So I am assuming she wants to finish it. (and she did seem to enjoy the main story more than the side content)

Her beef with the villains not being as villainous as random townsfolk sounds hilarious tho.

even only taking account the content that she’s seen already it’s not a very good read on the story, lots of selective memory going on.
like everything she said only applies to two villages which are basically in the equivalent of the confederate south, and even there you meet a number of sympathizers who help you out. Clive is also posing as an ordinary branded in order to sneak behind enemy lines which is why he’s not going around picking fights.

I also find her criticism of the literal slavers as being unrealistically cruel and exploitative to be really politically stupid.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

DeafNote posted:

She played the game herself and spoke about her own experiences with the sidequests.
Sterling may be negative, but I dont see her as an information regurgitator.

Hasn't that been most of her career? Regurgitating industry news and giving her take on it? Dunno about now since I unsubscribed ages ago, but that's just not a profitable video type anymore and probably the biggest reason why her channel's been slowly tanking in subscribers after the initial drop when she came out.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Weird Sandwich posted:

Presenting information from inside sources is not "rehashing other peoples work" lmao

thats literally what i said..........lol

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
There's definitely some criticism to be made about how ffxvi portrays the branded in this sort of overloaded x men way where it's filling the roles of several different types of prejudice, -phobia, and slavery all at once. I don't think that there's a valid critique that says any of the slaveholders or people who live among them are unrealistically cruel. I know that Stephanie's not an American but you should probably know a bit about how slavery is now and was in recent memory before making that kind of claim.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's good to realize you don't like a game and stop playing it. Healthier than turning into a Diablo 4 thread poster.

I got free D2R/D3 Switch codes from a friend and D2R is exactly the game I remember it being (with graphics that my brain upgraded to the remaster's long before it came out) and D3 is a weird loving thing where you don't actually swing a melee weapon and it just boosts your stats

Even if D4 wasn't made by a pack of assholes I don't know how I could possibly buy it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Impermanent posted:

There's definitely some criticism to be made about how ffxvi portrays the branded in this sort of overloaded x men way where it's filling the roles of several different types of prejudice, -phobia, and slavery all at once. I don't think that there's a valid critique that says any of the slaveholders or people who live among them are unrealistically cruel. I know that Stephanie's not an American but you should probably know a bit about how slavery is now and was in recent memory before making that kind of claim.
That's not the argument being made in the video.

edit: This thread is fully engaged once again in arguing about a video half the people haven't watched about a game even more of the arguers have not played.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 28, 2023

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
What is the argument then, I was just responding to what people posted in the thread

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Yeah I feel like way too many people for whatever reason persist in continuing to play games they hate and then getting really mad about how much they don't like them. I get it for people like streamers or reviewers where you whole job is to churn out content and opinions on games and that can breed a sense of obligation to finishing a thing in order to give your complete thoughts even if you know early on you actively hate it, but if you're just a rando then like, just stop playing the thing you don't like??? You can leave, hit da bricks, etc. Hell if you do it fast enough you can wring a refund out of Steam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

That's not the argument being made in the video.

edit: This thread is fully engaged once again in arguing about a video half the people haven't watched about a game even more of the arguers have not played.

it is one of the points made in the video
I watched the full video and have played more of the game than Sterling has