Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

PathAsc posted:

Just lol forever that there are ~mechanics~ to stunning the dumbest adds ever added to this game, and they put them in almost every activity. Champs were, are, and will continue to be buggy trash until the game ends..

Champs are fine OP, seems like a skill issue. I hate mechanics in my video game, I just want to hold shoot button down and move foward. They're also not particularly buggy outside of weird strand/stasis interactions occasionally, it just seems like you don't understand them. If you're new, that's ok it comes in time. If you're not, lmao.

Verdugo posted:

Stupid logic is ... Because Bungie said "play how you want" six years ago and I can't use whatever weapon I want to stun. So I will bitch about champs endlessly since Bungie is FORCING me to equip a different weapon! Or just ignore the stun mechanic and try to steamroll through champions with varying degrees of success.

Waaaa why can't i use anything I want when I want, I have to engage with content and explore different aspects of the game like all these new guns and class abilities and cool new ways to kill things that they keep giving me every season!

I wonder if vision can change in six years...

This doesn't even matter in stuff short of Master content, you're complaining about nothing. How are Champs affecting your legend nightfalls or lost sectors op? Seems like another skill issue. Fore a rocket and move on with your life.

Also, with strand, you can now use anything you want for guns because you can stun everything with suspend :shrug:

Majere posted:

I can see how they would add to build variety to keep your loadout from getting stale...try new weapons, etc but I still go back to the same handful of guns anyway, even after they added subclass ways to stun.

This guy gets it. You have so many ways to deal with Champs. You can still use almost anything you want.

The amount of whining in this thread is ridiculous and highly amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MJeff posted:

Champions used to be annoying because of how specific the requirements were but they're so easy to deal with now. If you can't find a way to make your loadout effectively deal with two kinds of champions across the artifact, the subclass keywords and several exotics that are really good outside of their anti-champion capabilities, particularly when there's two very easily obtainable things in the game that pretty much deal with all three kinds of champion entirely on their own (Riptide and Suspend), uh, I dunno. Seems like a you problem.

Last season I used strand hunter and it dealt with everything the game threw at me. This season I had to actually plan a load out and am using arc hunter, an AR, and a chill clip fusion. It's not as huge of a deal as idiot pubbies think it is where they use double primaries and complain about it

I also didn't really take effort to grind out the chill clip, I just did a night or two of crucible before lightfall and focused the fusion rifle from shaxx until I got something workable.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

MJeff posted:

Champions used to be annoying because of how specific the requirements were but they're so easy to deal with now. If you can't find a way to make your loadout effectively deal with two kinds of champions across the artifact, the subclass keywords and several exotics that are really good outside of their anti-champion capabilities, particularly when there's two very easily obtainable things in the game that pretty much deal with all three kinds of champion entirely on their own (Riptide and Suspend), uh, I dunno. Seems like a you problem.

Having so many means to deal with Champions just makes them more pointless and boring. They launched as dumb lock and key design and now that we just have two or three keys on us at all times almost by default champions feel even less interesting.

Having to deal with a mini boss or encounter using a specific tactic or element is fine but they just flooded content with the same boring enemies.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

sunday at work posted:

Having so many means to deal with Champions just makes them more pointless and boring. They launched as dumb lock and key design and now that we just have two or three keys on us at all times almost by default champions feel even less interesting.

Having to deal with a mini boss or encounter using a specific tactic or element is fine but they just flooded content with the same boring enemies.

I strongly disagree. In a LLS, you can find yourself in a room with, say, a Barrier Servitor, an Overload Captain and four or five rank and file enemies. The Barrier can shield the Overload, but if you try to focus the Barrier, it will bail out into cover to shield itself while the Overload attacks you and the whole time you have the rank and files harassing you. That's a serious situation and you have to know how you're going to deal with it before you start the activity or getting through it is going to be like pulling teeth. In an activity like that where the point is to get through it quickly, champions are the main hurdle.

And the keywords give you more options to experiment and find the best route for yourself to deal with them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

sunday at work posted:

Every encounter is the same enemies wether they’re red bars or yellow bars or champs it’s simply poo poo you shoot at.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't really agree that there's so many ways to deal with champions that you don't have to think about it and it become boring. But that's almost like saying "there's so many ways to deal precision damage it's boring"

Like if you have an overload champion in the mix you still need to counter it and focus it down.

Are unique mini-bosses and mechanics more interesting? Certainly. Champions are a decent way to stretch out stuff like strikes that they can't really churn out with a ton of unique encounters that they can fine tune to be engaging at all difficulties. Champions aren't my favorite mechanic, but I feel like nightfalls would be less interesting/challenging without them.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
I still kind of prefer to use the weapon type counters to champions since I'm never sure if I'll always have the other methods available to me when I really need them. It's great that you can suspend unstoppables, but my warlock is a threadling build, not a suspend build, so "you have to use this build instead of that one" is just a different form of "you have to use this weapon instead of that one" to him. It's still good to have more options available now though, of course.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Halibut Barn posted:

I still kind of prefer to use the weapon type counters to champions since I'm never sure if I'll always have the other methods available to me when I really need them. It's great that you can suspend unstoppables, but my warlock is a threadling build, not a suspend build, so "you have to use this build instead of that one" is just a different form of "you have to use this weapon instead of that one" to him. It's still good to have more options available now though, of course.

I haven't tried it yet but I bet you could make a really fun Threadling build that incorporates suspend with Mindspun Invocation and that fragment that charges your class ability for killing suspended enemies. Suspend dudes, cast rift, worms eat the suspended guys, recharge rift, start over.

Or if you wanna keep Threadling Grenade, you can use The Wanderer instead and suspend with Tangles. Point is there's a lot of ways to incorporate multiple aspects of your subclass into your build to keep yourself versatile and able to handle multiple situations while still having a specific power fantasy (i.e. attack with many worms).

MJeff fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 27, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't think I've even thought about champions since the subclasses were updated to deal with them. Like, no more than Hive Knight shields/barrier or Exploder Shanks. At a certain point complaining that Unstoppables need stunning is a bit of a "well no poo poo" situation. Have people played other shooters? Shield enemies, enemies immune besides weakpoints (eg tormentors), enemies that need to be hit with certain elements, these are all *really basic* shooter things.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

More so than Champions, I think it would have been really nice if we had gotten a refresh/more additions to the base enemy factions over time. The Fallen got Brigs and the Vex the spicy Chickens with Beyond Light, we have Lightbearer Hive from Witchqueen and then Tormentors from Lightfall.
Just give us more of that stuff, I don't care about champions one way or the other but new enemy types in the mix are interesting.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Infected posted:

More so than Champions, I think it would have been really nice if we had gotten a refresh/more additions to the base enemy factions over time. The Fallen got Brigs and the Vex the spicy Chickens with Beyond Light, we have Lightbearer Hive from Witchqueen and then Tormentors from Lightfall.
Just give us more of that stuff, I don't care about champions one way or the other but new enemy types in the mix are interesting.

It’d also be a bit more interesting if they’d do more armor/color variations on factions. They’ve done it a bit with Calus’ legionaries… but you’re telling me every faction of Elksni are hardcore set on those pallets of purple fabric from Costco they left Riis with?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

It’d also be a bit more interesting if they’d do more armor/color variations on factions. They’ve done it a bit with Calus’ legionaries… but you’re telling me every faction of Elksni are hardcore set on those pallets of purple fabric from Costco they left Riis with?

They did this in D1 but there was a lot of consolidation in D2. We beat the poo poo out of the various houses so much they all consolidated into the House of Dusk and then later Eramis made House of Salvation. All the Cabal factions were replaced with Red Legion, then Shadow Legion.

You'll still get some variation with the Hive and Vex depending on where you are.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Moon hive and vex look different from other hive and vex. Europa fallen are wearing cold-weather gear. Throne world hive are also unique (I guess that makes the hive the most variable race?). Plus the Shadow Legion, that's all the variants I can think of

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Infected posted:

TWID: Champion Tormentors

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waroduce posted:

Waaaa why can't i use anything I want when I want, I have to engage with content and explore different aspects of the game like all these new guns and class abilities and cool new ways to kill things that they keep giving me every season!

They gave Crimson (with an artifact) and Thunderlord (inherently) the ability to fight Champs so I don't even have to do this lmao

Only thing that's changed is they removed my giant aoe punch attack and I just have shoulder charges forever. Give me that back Bungie

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Which big aoe punch attack? Cause arc titan still has that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxyclean posted:

Which big aoe punch attack? Cause arc titan still has that.

Just the standard ol arc punch it used to have. I just see shoulder charge, buttslam, and the kamehameha now unless I'm missing something super obvious. I've bought everything from Ikora as well

Think it used to be storm fist? Or is it just still there but rolled into something and I'm not noticing?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Lib and let die posted:

Barrier to destroy the pauldrons, unstoppable for the chasing, overload to get them out of the slam attack and disruption blast.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

And once you kill them? That’s right,

Dark bearer ghosts

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't believe storm fist was ever in Destiny 2

Looks like before arc 3.0 the third titan melee was "frontal assault", with the description "Strike an enemy with this melee ability to reload your weapon and increase both your weapon stability and weapon damage."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

I don't believe storm fist was ever in Destiny 2

Looks like before arc 3.0 the third titan melee was "frontal assault", with the description "Strike an enemy with this melee ability to reload your weapon and increase both your weapon stability and weapon damage."

Lol I think I called it storm fist the entire time I played anyway

Anyway I'd like that back also please thanks, I don't like things that are new and different even if it's objectively better

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Lib and let die posted:

Outside of the absolute top end of content that would just add another easy way to stun and completely neuter them. So sure bring on the Overload Tormentor, he'll die to Thunderlord just like before.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol I think I called it storm fist the entire time I played anyway

Anyway I'd like that back also please thanks, I don't like things that are new and different even if it's objectively better

did you try the cannon brace yet?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lib and let die posted:

did you try the cannon brace yet?

I don't have it yet sadly, I've been lazy about getting my light level up

Jotunn/Dunemarchers in Iron Banner was a pretty funny gently caress you though

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Lmao https://twitter.com/djxyz0/status/1673456338033164289?s=46&t=DT925tMY54SwGEv9vbPHUw

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

life_source posted:

Barrier to destroy the pauldrons, unstoppable for the chasing, overload to get them out of the slam attack and disruption blast.

That sounds like total dogshit to so my guy, and we all know there's no way in hell anyone at bungo has the skill to code that in, and not instantly explode the servers.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

champions are tolerable but they suck rear end

it's 100% possible to have manageable mechanics that are also tedious, repetitive, and/or annoying

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I think at this point we have more faction variation than D1 had. In d1, the different factions were largely just recolors and very not noticeable, in D2 all the factions are different models with different elements to them.

Fallen
Snow Fallen
Spiky Fallen

Vex
Tree Vex
Old Vex
New Vex

Red Legion
Blue Legion
Loyalists
Shadow Legion

Hive
Snow Hive
Red Hive
Light Hive

Taken

Scorn

RocketRaygun fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 27, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Champion screebs.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

we need more tree fallen, imho

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
We haven't seen what House of Light Fallen look like beyond civilians, and I assume the Spider's spiky bois are still slinkin' around.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Lib and let die posted:

we need more tree fallen, imho

but how can we be sure that we've heard them

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ah gently caress i meant vex

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

a vexing mistake

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Kith posted:

a vexing mistake

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Destiny 2 Lightfall: A Vexing Mistake

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

theysayheygreg posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Destiny 2 Lightfall: A Vexing Mistake

:hmmyes:

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Awww hell yeah I love spiders bois

Yeah I guess there’s more than I thought there were when you lay it out like that.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i'm sorry, your honor, what i said was, the three fallen

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I've been out for awhile but I like whales and cutscenes, if I were to get back into the game now, how hard would I have to grind to finish the season rewards on time? I'm pretty tempted but worried it's too late to complete it when FF16 exists too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Xalidur posted:

I've been out for awhile but I like whales and cutscenes, if I were to get back into the game now, how hard would I have to grind to finish the season rewards on time? I'm pretty tempted but worried it's too late to complete it when FF16 exists too.

Season has just under 2 months left, plenty of time to work on it.