Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Atreiden posted:

Anyone suggesting this as some kind of 5D chess move should be ignored.

Russia is playing XD chess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

FlamingLiberal posted:

The problem is that these propagandists are never going to be prepared to respond to a strange situation like this one, and on top of that there has not been a clear message from Moscow on what the line is supposed to be

Indeed, I will say that consistency in their presence is important regardless of whether they had anything to say. Even if the major propagandists were in the field, they can setup a professional looking shot near a field or in a city street, briefly explain they are elsewhere for XYZ project, and provide some kind of vapid commentary to establish that they are not panicking. You had one guy reporting from a moving vehicle and this lady being MIA. Not a reassuring look.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Morrow posted:

Putin really doesn't respond well to things he's not in control of. You get the idea that he's a decisive authority because usually he's the one stirring poo poo, but whenever he's in his own crisis mode he will usually procrastinate as much as possible. The early days of the war, really the whole war, are a Great example of that: the initial strategy didn't work and it took months to pivot away from the idea of a lightning assault on Kyiv. Even now he's really just procrastinating on the whole war when it's pretty clear that Russia will buckle before Ukraine does.

Also Russia can barely hold and supply the front it’s currently engaged on and just straight up doesn’t have the resources to extend that any further. Adding an entirely new and separate front a few hundred km away from their existing supply lines and bases is beyond stupid, especially given that Ukrainian has much much shorter internal lines of communications. Which tbh means the Russians will probably try it.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 27, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Meanwhile:
https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1673747895562936337
(A pizza place)

At least 3 dead (including a child), 42 injured including 3 foreigners.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/revishvilig/status/1673727162480832516

Time to find out if Wagner will just dissolve or resist.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

"Some sources" is definitely what I'm putting all my trust on, especially if it's unspecified Syrian sources.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

lagidnam posted:

I can see that, Prigozhin wanted to push back but in doing so nearly toppled the whole country. Russia is like one of those saloons in the old Bugs Bunny cartoons, a flat front with 2 pieces of plywood in the back so it doesn't fall over.

A sort of Potemkin Saloon…

e;fb five thousand pages ago

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Nenonen posted:

"Some sources" is definitely what I'm putting all my trust on, especially if it's unspecified Syrian sources.

I don't think anyone's expecting you to replan your entire life around it, unless you're working for Wagner in Syria I guess?

https://twitter.com/AlexKhrebet/status/1673732756918923266

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Chalks posted:

https://twitter.com/revishvilig/status/1673727162480832516

Time to find out if Wagner will just dissolve or resist.

No listed source even on the telegram screenshot? Yeah

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

The next call of duty and battlefield titles sure are getting some free writing inspiration from all of this wackiness

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

awesome-express posted:

The next call of duty and battlefield titles sure are getting some free writing inspiration from all of this wackiness

It was already hard to play Modern Warfare 2 when we were supposed to believe that Russia had enough lift capacity to invade the entire east coast. Now they need to model the games with the Russian army being complete boobs about everything.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
been an amazing week of people discovering that you can find a russian telegram channel that says literally anything at all

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
hell if you can't find one saying whatever you're trying to find you can just pay one to say it, too

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

hell if you can't find one saying whatever you're trying to find you can just pay one to say it, too

I'm glad I'm not the only one asking "why the gently caress should I believe or even care what any given Telegram channel says?"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

been an amazing week of people discovering that you can find a russian telegram channel that says literally anything at all

It is good that anonymous Russian tg channel boom has died before pandemic because good lord the amount of "JUST HEARD FROM MY FRIEND FROM FSB" bullshit would have melted untrained western observers

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sorry guys gonna have to wait on an official statement from Putin on this one

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Everyone's always talking about how bad Russia has performed in this war but honestly are they really doing that bad? Sure the blitzkrieg into Kyiv was a total failure but they seem to be holding their own against a military that has gotten a ton of high end western hardware and training.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
can we start probating people for posting the most dogshit telegram rumors when its obvious that they haven't done even 10 seconds of due dilligence about the poo poo they're linking in here because it's been really ridiculous lately

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

It is good that anonymous Russian tg channel boom has died before pandemic because good lord the amount of "JUST HEARD FROM MY FRIEND FROM FSB" bullshit would have melted untrained western observers

This "I'm totally an IC insider u guise" LARPing is how QAnon got started. But because westerners were largely unfamiliar with telegram it was fertile ground again.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

can we start probating people for posting the most dogshit telegram rumors when its obvious that they haven't done even 10 seconds of due dilligence about the poo poo they're linking in here because it's been really ridiculous lately

When I get the same thing on my feed from 3 journalists and a strategic studies professor, I basically pick the first one to post here if he's not already being discussed.

Would you prefer it if I posted all of them? What would be best here. It's a rumour, no poo poo, being discussed by a bunch of people with far better credentials than anyone commenting in this thread. What threshold does it have to reach, on an individual basis, or will pure quantity of people discussing it do?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Chalks posted:

Sorry guys gonna have to wait on an official statement from Putin on this one

Don't be salty, I believe you had sincere intention. But there is so much dis- and misinformation going on, you should try to check if it's more than an anonymous rumour. If not, simply call it an unsourced rumour. :)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Chalks posted:

When I get the same thing on my feed from 3 journalists and a strategic studies professor, I basically pick the first one to post here if he's not already being discussed.

Would you prefer it if I posted all of them? What would be best here. It's a rumour, no poo poo, being discussed by a bunch of people with far better credentials than anyone commenting in this thread. What threshold does it have to reach, on an individual basis, or will pure quantity of people discussing it do?

I won't probe for posting rumour tweets (unless someone would accompany that with anxiety posting, thats a paddling and a timeout), but this thread has some standards so I expect everyone to at least spend 30 seconds of clickthrough to check if the source leads anywhere reputable.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Charliegrs posted:

Everyone's always talking about how bad Russia has performed in this war but honestly are they really doing that bad? Sure the blitzkrieg into Kyiv was a total failure but they seem to be holding their own against a military that has gotten a ton of high end western hardware and training.

Not to be pedantic, but it's hard to use words like "good" or "bad" when it comes to militaries. It's not really helpful. But what we do "know" or have seen:

Russia started a war of conquest against a country they planned on decapitating and then occupying, without an army large enough to occupy said country. Their military is noticeably less competent than we've been led to believe for 40 years, and their path to "victory" is a stalemate that will kill 100k+ of their standing army and god knows how much equipment.

Their intelligence, tactics, and strategy have all been head-scratching awful. The fact that they are effective at all is a reflection of sheer numbers more than competence.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Charliegrs posted:

I think part of the issue here is that what with the disparity of their budgets, size, and air superiority by all rights they should really be doing much better than "holding their own." It's like if Rocky was going up against one of the cast members of Big Bang Theory - if Rocky was described as "holding his own" in that match, you'd be talking about how holy poo poo the dude has gone all the way downhill.

Furthermore, Ukraine didn't HAVE much if anything in the way of high-end Western hardware when everything kicked off, and even now while they've gotten a bunch of Western gear it'd be hard to describe the majority of their army as Western equipped - a small core of impactful Western stuff has gotten over but it's still a bit piecemeal and up until very recently the support has mostly been support stuff like HIMARS or Patriots, which is important but isn't the raw mass of heavy equipment you need to push an offensive. They have formed and are using the heavy formations of Western tanks and IFVs but we've yet to see them decisively engaged, so bit of a question mark how much impact that will have.

With regards to their training as discussed their training is interesting in that the younger generation has been getting Western-style training and values while their higher ranks are still frequently Soviet holdovers - and that was before the war. With the onset of the war you get trainers where you can find them to process your new recruits, and that means a lot of older Soviet guys mixed in with more Western training styles.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

I won't probe for that (unless someone would accompany that with anxiety posting, thats a paddling and a timeout), but this thread has some standards so I expect everyone to at least spend 30 seconds of clickthrough to check if the source leads anywhere reputable.

What happened was I saw this thing appear on my feed 4 times being discussed by a bunch of reputable people, and posted it here after scrolling through some of the conversations and checking the last couple of pages to make sure it hadn't already been posted.

I subsequently posted a second tweet on the topic, would that one have been better? Like it's a Kyiv Independent reporter citing a report on Al Hadath, citing "sources". I don't really feel like that's a more solid source, but it's got more layers of people thinking it's worth discussing evident in the tweet? I guess I should also have posted my original thing in the sub-tweet form from Phillips P. OBrien like I originally found it?

What is the expectation for how a rumour should be posted here? Given that much of the information we know about the Wagner situation over the past week has been in this form and there are credible people discussing it

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Chalks posted:

What happened was I saw this thing appear on my feed 4 times being discussed by a bunch of reputable people, and posted it here after scrolling through some of the conversations and checking the last couple of pages to make sure it hadn't already been posted.

I subsequently posted a second tweet on the topic, would that one have been better? Like it's a Kyiv Independent reporter citing a report on Al Hadath, citing "sources". I don't really feel like that's a more solid source, but it's got more layers of people thinking it's worth discussing evident in the tweet? I guess I should also have posted my original thing in the sub-tweet form from Phillips P. OBrien like I originally found it?

What is the expectation for how a rumour should be posted here? Given that much of the information we know about the Wagner situation over the past week has been in this form and there are credible people discussing it

To me the main problem with the initial Tweet quoting a Telegram is that it was so sketchy. I don't know Giorgi Revishvili or how reliable he is. Nor does the quote specify anything particular. "If true a HUGE development" is a troubling wording if you have no means of telling if it's true.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Charliegrs posted:

They have certainly wildly underperformed analyst's expectations in basically every area, especially at the beginning of the war. They vastly outnumbered and outgunned the Ukrainians. If they had prepared their troops even a little and had an even slightly unified command structure at the outset I suspect things might have gone very differently. Things the Russian military has done reasonably competently have been air defense, dropping massive amounts of artillery on everything in front of them, and currently they seem to be defending well prepared and mined positions reasonably effectively. After their ill-conceived and ill-executed dash to Kyiv at the beginning of the war, the only offensive they've successfully launched was last summer when they dropped massive amounts of artillery on everything that stood in their way around Severodonetsk. That's not really a viable strategy for them anymore due to artillery ammunition constraints. Their winter offensive was pretty much a complete shitshow of poorly organized attacks. The Russian air forces have been fairly good at keeping Ukrainian air operations very high constrained, and if Ukrainian ground based air defenses ever run out of ammunition or otherwise become incapacitated, the Russian air force could do a whole lot more.

Fancy western hardware really doesn't matter that much. Sure it is largely technically superior to soviet or Russian designs, but basically a tank is a tank and a SAM is a SAM. If any tank or IFV/APC runs over a mine, they are out of action. If they take a direct hit from an anti-tank missile, they are probably out of action. In western equipment, the crew and the vehicle are more likely to survive that hit than in the Russian stuff, but the vehicle, whether a T-55 or an Abrams is gonna be out of commission. Probably permanently and with a dead crew in the case of the t-55 and for a few weeks and with a living but shaken crew in the Abrams or Bradley. Western stuff has better sensors, optics, and comms gear which might be hugely and decisively helpful in a big open tank battle, but it doesn't do jack poo poo against a minefield watched by concealed infantry and pre-sighted, drone-corrected artillery.

Even more than that, what makes western (and especially the US) equipment seem so much better is that the militaries using it have generally had years of training for the individual crews and the decades of institutional knowledge behind that. Give a bunch of Abrams to poorly trained Saudi's with bad morale and Houthi's seem to be able to blow them up just fine. The Ukrainians using all that fancy equipment have only had a few months to train with it, and many of them were civilians until six or eight months ago. They may have great morale and are smart guys, but practice and experience are very time-dependent.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 27, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Charliegrs posted:

A ton... of western hardware that amounts to like 5% of what the U.S. military spends yearly on hardware and other stuff

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

To be clear 'holding their own' in this situation is absurdly bad. They should have had every advantage in the world and capitalized on none of it.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Nenonen posted:

To me the main problem with the initial Tweet quoting a Telegram is that it was so sketchy. I don't know Giorgi Revishvili or how reliable he is. Nor does the quote specify anything particular. "If true a HUGE development" is a troubling wording if you have no means of telling if it's true.

Would multiple tweet sources be helpful for that sort of thing? I feel like it's kinda obnoxious to post like, 3 embeds that are all basically exactly the same info to give it more weight. Also feel kinda the same with subtweets, if someone I consider legitimate subtweets a rumour (which is what happened here) I'll do a quick search to see if other people are talking about it then post that original tweet. I can see how it lends more credibility to post a tweet that's subtweeting a tweet that's got a screenshot of a message about a rumour in it but like... ick.

Also on rumours like this all the other sources you find when searching are just citation onions that don't actually add anything besides just being credible people talking about it. Here's Meduza reporting that Kommersant is reporting that Al-Hadath is reporting that an unnamed source told them about the raid. I could post that, but then someone will immediately reply with some arcane knowledge that Meduza is known as unreliable or something which seems to happen 50% of the time when ever I search for a topic and pick a search result rather than someone I've posted before.

Posting rumours here without getting pounced on is a minefield and I'd love to know how to judge it better.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 27, 2023

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

A military that they still outnumber and outgun by a very significant margin. If the US invaded Canada and got bogged down south of Toronto and hadn't made any meaningful progress after a year and, in fact, had gotten thrown back in places then yeah, you could absolutely say they were doing a bad job.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Moon Slayer posted:

A military that they still outnumber and outgun by a very significant margin. If the US invaded Canada and got bogged down south of Toronto and hadn't made any meaningful progress after a year and, in fact, had gotten thrown back in places then yeah, you could absolutely say they were doing a bad job.

It's still wild to me that Russia's GDP is about on par with Canada's, and Canada actually has a bigger budget.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

I won't probe for posting rumour tweets (unless someone would accompany that with anxiety posting, thats a paddling and a timeout), but this thread has some standards so I expect everyone to at least spend 30 seconds of clickthrough to check if the source leads anywhere reputable.

just hold it to the same standard as twitter posting at least

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

Would multiple tweet sources be helpful for that sort of thing? I feel like it's kinda obnoxious to post like, 3 embeds that are all basically exactly the same info to give it more weight. Also feel kinda the same with subtweets, if someone I consider legitimate subtweets a rumour (which is what happened here) I'll do a quick search to see if other people are talking about it then post that original tweet. I can see how it lends more credibility to post a tweet that's subtweeting a tweet that's got a screenshot of a message about a rumour in it but like... ick.

Also on rumours like this all the other sources you find when searching are just citation onions that don't actually add anything besides just being credible people talking about it. Here's Meduza reporting that Kommersant is reporting that Al-Hadath is reporting that an unnamed source told them about the raid. I could post that, but then someone will immediately reply with some arcane knowledge that Meduza is known as unreliable or something which seems to happen 50% of the time when ever I search for a topic I see being discussed a lot and pick a search result to post.

Posting rumours here without getting pounced on is a minefield and I'd love to know how to judge which tweets to pick

This discussion probably would have never happened if you had just gone with your second source. A Saudi Arabian news channel citing "some sources" is at least a step up from some guy nobody knows doing so

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It is at a minimum beneficial to identify and characterize the context and credibility of any mediating sources. If you've got three mediators, say who they are and why they make the claim more credible.

You should also give as much info about the root source as possible. Both are necessary.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 27, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Libluini posted:

This discussion probably would have never happened if you had just gone with your second source. A Saudi Arabian news channel citing "some sources" is at least a step up from some guy nobody knows doing so

for instance here is now meduza characterizes the same thing:

yes that definitely would've been 1000 times better to post than the no context no source telegram rumor tweet

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Ok, thanks and sorry for the derail.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

for instance here is now meduza characterizes the same thing:

yes that definitely would've been 1000 times better to post than the no context no source telegram rumor tweet

Right, though even with this ---- well, Kommersant is about as close to respectable as remains in Russia, I can probably guess the Saudi's angle, but I don't know what sort of publication Al-Hadath is....

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Luka's retelling of the events makes it sound like a high school drama:
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1673678797328064516

Meanwhile the air raids have really stepped up, its pretty much been daily since the coup I think?
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1673767546867134464

I also can't believe Prigozhin left these fine folks out to dry:
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1673803622142836737

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I have been watching this for about a week now but with mil bloggers on both sides commenting on it, I think it's worth bringing up. Ukrainian SoF units have been operating on the eastern side of what remains of the Antonivka bridge over the past week in the village of Dachi. Posters have shown some sketchy tweets about combat footage in that area, and up till today it was only the unreliable pro-Ukranian accounts tweeting about this, but it is safe to say that the Ukrainian presence is real and it is permanent at this point. The thing that piques my interest is that both sides are now talking about pontoon assets being seen/located in the area and in Nova Khakova and that some may already have been thrown up.

Example: https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1673400883894272000?s=20

Rybar's daily update today indicates that Ru aviation and drone operators have tried to hit these positions but the Ukrainians have moved SAM and EW assets close enough to make it difficult for the Russians to work on this problem. Rybar also claims that they have information that the Ukrainian 93rd was being pulled out of Chasiv Yar (Bakhmut sector) and in the process of redeploying in the Kherson region.

This all may be just a ploy to keep the Russians honest and not strip the left bank of the Dnipro of all troops and I remain skeptical that the Ukranians would try a cross-river operation of any significance given the risks, but the possibility of that is no longer at zero I think.