Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Stay safe, Arn.

Also, why the hell am I so intrigued as to what's in that goddamn letter, Major?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
A-chan B-ko-chan Expedition Log

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Same, Ralph. Same.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

While we’re waiting for the next chapter of Bardiche Hotel, here’s a one-off Q-Rais did a bit ago (read: he did a test chapter to see how it’d perform, it didn’t, he didn’t keep drawing it), After School Ghost Stories

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "104 - Jucika And The Skimpy Skirt"

"105 - Jucika And The Costume Ball"

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "104 - Jucika And The Skimpy Skirt"

Men just can't resist Jucika's rear end.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary :drac:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Doomykins posted:

Jucika And The Horse's rear end

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 12/28-30/50

The Jack Dempsey-Tommy Gibbons fight was in 1923, so Owl's been hanging on to that one for a while. A "six-way" cold tablet was one that supposedly relieved six symptoms of a cold. And yeah, having a raw egg in your beer is a thing, although not so much in these salmonella-suspicious days.

Archie 8/24/47

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

$10 in 1947 is worth $136.38 today. :cheers:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Archie 8/24/47

A waiters union as well!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Turn on your monitor

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Selachian posted:

Archie 8/24/47

Making the connies and bohemies on the beach screech since 1946

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yuk yuk women amirite?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Drimble Wedge posted:

$10 in 1947 is worth $136.38 today. :cheers:

That's about what a low to mid-range aloha shirt costs!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yuk yuk women amirite?

I am oddly reminded of an early episode of Mad Men, where there's a kid's birthday party at their house, and Don Draper seemed half aware of what the gently caress is going on; there's a scene with all the parents drinking, and one husband telling a joke about who to save if you have only one lifevest and your wife and lawyer are both drowning. Of course you save the lawyer! And everyone laughs, save one couple and Don. And later we see that couple alone where the husband is consoling the wife about the joke, and it's this quiet sweet moment compared to the rest of the party with the kids screeching and parroting their parents' talk about sleeping on the sofa/getting hit for not having dinner on the table and the parents clearly disliking their spouses. Save for that one couple. And I think that's why Don loving bogarts outta the party.

I remember growing up with parents that were antagonistic to each other for various reasons, but early on there was still some public affection. Still the most affectionate parents I ever saw were the loving Simpsons or the Bundys.

LOL wimmin be shopping and wanting us men to eat like rabbits! Wimmin are not good for much! They make us Manly Men go to loving operas and it sucks! Life would be so much better without a woman around to boss us around, just have one to cook and clean! So hire a maid, and then we can just live like real men, only men!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It always warms my heart in Arlo and Janis when the punchline is "wow, this guy LOVES his wife!"

The clear adoration in Zits between the parents is great too. And Wallace. And Phoebe. And Valiant. Noticing a real trend here.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Doomykins posted:

It always warms my heart in Arlo and Janis when the punchline is "wow, this guy LOVES his wife!"

The clear adoration in Zits between the parents is great too. And Wallace. And Phoebe. And Valiant. Noticing a real trend here.

Don't forget Hagar and Helga.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

At least with The Lockhorns you know that being a bickering couple is their shtick and that the comic is usually more funny than it is depressing. Dustin, as others have pointed out before, is stuck in 1950s "take my wife, please!" and "women be shopping!" bullshit.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Lockhorns is also way cleverer about it than anything else still doing that bit in the 2020s, and in the fiction of the comic they make it clear that their mutual scorn is exceptional. I've really come around on that strip and it's now one of my favorites. Amusingly, although technically a legacy strip, one of the two cartoonists, Bunny Hoest, is the wife of its original creator.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Yeah, the vibe with the Lockhorns is more like... mutual annoyance at both of their foibles. You and I both hate this thing about me.

That Dustin is just "I can't believe my wife wants to talk to me, what grievous sin did I commit to be saddled with this". There's no shared relationship or basis. Just "wimmin, amirite?" For a queer Millennial like me, that reads a little different than intended.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s pretty sad that people born in a certain era got married because they felt they had to in order to participate in society, and that they resent anyone who wasn’t subjected to that expectation. Fortunately they won’t be around for much longer.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Samovar posted:

Also, why the hell am I so intrigued as to what's in that goddamn letter, Major?

Well, you did ask. Our Boarding House (March 13-15, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (May 19-21, 1921)

Dok's Dippy Trenchfoot (October 20, 1914)

Little Lefty (October 4-5, 1938 (the 3rd fell victim to technical difficulties))

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

WORLD'S BIGGEST BIRD MEETS WORLD'S SMALLEST DEER

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 16: Hell on Wheels Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

I hope to good God we never meet Tom's PVC guy, but you know that a name-drop like that is a real Chekhov's gun and by Chekhov I mean the lad who wrote The Cherry Orchard and not the lad who flew the Minnellium Falcorn in Space Trek because, as I have learned today, there was no "h" in that one.
Note that Billie did get a Toto Toilet at the end of last years Brian's Insides mini-comic:

The_Other fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 28, 2023

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s pretty sad that people born in a certain era got married because they felt they had to in order to participate in society, and that they resent anyone who wasn’t subjected to that expectation. Fortunately they won’t be around for much longer.

I'm 34 and know many people close to my age like this. I don't think it's going anywhere lol.

Been in many situations with usually adamantly masculine, "real men" who seem to take issue with the fact that I don't desire to be married or have kids. It really seems to bother people. I work in construction so you get some pretty rigid ideas on how men should live

Unrelated question, where do I read mary worth without having to deal with comics kingdom? Their stupid "you've reached your monthly max of free comics" seems to pop up for no reason whatsoever these days.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

^^^ Right here! vvv

Doomykins posted:

No that was Mr Boop.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mark Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"...for a couple months at least."

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Murdstone posted:

Marky Worth

Don't you dare give this guy a heart attack just as he finds his dog, Mary Worth writer(s).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I think the thing that keeps sending me about Kevin & Kell is that the only joke format Holbrook knows is "I'm doing thing." "For x normal reason?" "No for y silly reason."

Which is fine but it basically means these characters all feel like they're as new to their own universe as we are. Like predator school looking out the window and being all "the herbivores are in our playground." "To play on our equipment?" "No, to eat the leaves!

Great but like you all know herbivores eat plants. It's the only thing you know about them.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

The wording in the first panel translates more to something like "psychotherapy is a good fit for everyone", but I feel that that phrasing would make less sense in the "therapy can help anyone" meaning. It's not a very strong pun in Finnish, I'd say.

ANSU needs more scanning.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qljW_lIgvUU

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mark Worth

That's a weird nickname for your penis, Saul.

(Also, why's he suddenly worried about his penis? What a weird strip.)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

:haw: *jazz hands*

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

I know Crimestoppers is generally both useless and paranoid, but this one is extra useless. (and seems like a good way to lose your registration paper)

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

RE: People's comments on the Lockhorns, I think it helps that from what I read in an interview once, the Hoests genuinely loved each other. So the jokes get to be jokes instead of an outlet for the artist's simmering contempt for their actual spouse.

Computoon: Origins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse