Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Introducing
Visions of Malice June 29

30+ missions conducted in a simulation with an AI VO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZCv6TYeJR0

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's baffling to me how badly D3 publisher is bungling the localization / handling the international fanbase. No word if / how / when EDF6 will be released in the west for almost an entire year after release. It's almost as bad as the Falcom situation really.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Got my hopes up for a second that just maybe there was news of a Western release. But nope. I would be content with even a PlayStation release initially and would probably buy it again later on PC.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
There's a 20th anniversary event on the 26th so let's see how it goes.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

FrickenMoron posted:

It's baffling to me how badly D3 publisher is bungling the localization / handling the international fanbase. No word if / how / when EDF6 will be released in the west for almost an entire year after release. It's almost as bad as the Falcom situation really.

EDF5 was the same way.

On the plus side: I think EDF6/DLC1/DLC2 release timeline is pretty similar to EDF5/DLC1/DLC2, and North America got EDF5 about 6 months after DLC2!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
EDF5 PC got it's first pack 2 weeks after release and then another after two weeks. Did I mention it took a year for the PC release to come out? I was way off. Year and half.
I want them to spread it out more this time. Give it month, drat. I didn't beat the game until after the second pack came out and people were mostly playing the second pack, making the first a real hassle. I figured people were only playing the first pack because it was so hard to get the second's weapons upgraded due to difficulty.

EDF5 got it's first pack 4 in months and second after another. It makes sense to spread it out, not because there is more content. Missions having an actual storyline helps a lot as well.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 23, 2023

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I just wanna fire laser satellites at giant insects, y’all. I’ve been in Spritefall withdrawls for yearsman I need my Air Raider goodness.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I have so much passion and camaraderie. Give me EDF6!!!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://twitter.com/EDF_OFFICIAL_EN/status/1673344871472541698

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
where da pc port at

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

I, Butthole posted:

where da pc port at

hhhhnnnfgffghhhhhhh i wanna shoot a bug so loving bad

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Shine posted:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Shine posted:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://twitter.com/AVahne/status/1673667148311408644

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Shine posted:

This, even though I already shot them with the jp import version.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Shine posted:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Shine posted:

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Just start playing 5 on my steam deck and it’s a delight. Decided to make myself play air raider too because it’s dumb and I keep dying on normal but I’ll get there eventually.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Shine posted:

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Air Raider is the closest any game has gotten to the idea of a low fantasy Sorcerer-Lord. You can lay waste to entire armies, call down hellfire and death and pestilence, rend the ground and sky, etc, etc.

But as soon as one plucky fucker gets within 20 feet of you, you are doomed.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

doomed to kill them with your Vulcan or vehicle or ZE-GUNs maybe

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The fact that 5 introduced an airstrike option that reloaded quickly enough that you could use it as your primary weapon was peak class design.

Shame about caves.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
caves are always a shame, really.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Bussamove posted:

The fact that 5 introduced an airstrike option that reloaded quickly enough that you could use it as your primary weapon was peak class design.

Shame about caves.

Yeah I came around to the idea when I realised I had a gun that fired a bigger sky gun, still doesn't help my survive but it's fun while I'm being eaten alive.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
EDF6 has some absolutely EVIL cave missions especially on inferno.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Well surely at least they gave Air Raider some neat new toys to make them easier and less painfully un-fun like 5s were, right?

… right…?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Drones work in caves so thats something at least.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

All I’m saying is if anything can punch through several hundred meters of rock and dirt to obliterate ants it’s Spritefall.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Bussamove posted:

Well surely at least they gave Air Raider some neat new toys to make them easier and less painfully un-fun like 5s were, right?

… right…?
They might have removed them and given to Ranger, cause if any class needs a buff at the expense of all others, it is the boring one.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Cave missions are almost universally boring garbage and are the single design pain point that they've never managed to make fun and engaging. I can't think of a single cave mission in the past 4 games that I remember being cool, and several that I remember being uniquely poo poo.

Uniquely punishing Air Raiders aside, they also cripple the cool mobility tricks that make Wing Diver and Fencer fun classes.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I like cave missions when I can bring in a weapon with bouncing projectiles.

Tunnel does a 90 degree turn and there are bugs on my radar? Just shoot the wall until they all go away.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Limpet Splendour and a couple of ZE guns always made the tunnel sections entertaining if not necessarily good.

The stupid spider robot was always bad though.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
All I can say is that the cave missions in 6 are memorable but probably not for the right reasons. 90% of them have much much less forced walking segments with npcs though. The ones that do usually are short, I can only think of one that was painfully long.

Air raider no longer has turrets, those went to the ranger. I think the drones can make up for it in caves though. The crawler is still dumb though.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

The crawler in 6 feels way jankier since every pebble in the road jerks you around. Drone air raids underground are both hilarious and insanely dangerous as they love to get stuck on the overhead rocks and stuff and just pelt the surrounding area with their payloads. The drones are also crazy strong in general, though there are certain enemies that can give drone users real problems. My go-to drones fly up to the enemies then magdump a shotgun into their face point blank and can rack up some serious damage while my backpack slot drones function like a turret that follows me and stunlocks anything that gets close.

I can't wait for the English version so I can actually understand what's going on.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

LeFishy posted:

Limpet Splendour and a couple of ZE guns always made the tunnel sections entertaining if not necessarily good.

The stupid spider robot was always bad though.
Spiderbot was fun if you dumped your turrets on it so it sprayed endless flames.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Also the enemy flamethrower drones are the goddamn worst.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I like cave missions as air raider because you get to bring c4 and a vehicle and make big explosions. It's a great exercise in trying not to kill your teammates

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
It is nutty to me that we haven't seen Sandlot try to push out an "EDF Survivors" game, perfect thematic fit I reckon.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FrickenMoron posted:

All I can say is that the cave missions in 6 are memorable but probably not for the right reasons. 90% of them have much much less forced walking segments with npcs though. The ones that do usually are short, I can only think of one that was painfully long.

Air raider no longer has turrets, those went to the ranger. I think the drones can make up for it in caves though. The crawler is still dumb though.

Ranger can already shoot the cyber Vallak until it dies. Why couldn't they let ranger carry landmines and C4 in the motorcyle slot instead of nerfing the guy who actually needs turrets, or can summon the vehichles most fun to shove turrets onto. While being able to summon motorcycles for him was nice (Because I could keep up with/revive air raiders faster!) what the actual gently caress?

And I actually like ranger, because of the simple joys of infinity range rockets breaking spawners and ships while fencer is still dashing towards them, or thanking god all shotguns have penetration now when it is cave mission time. But when I actually did any multiplayer I liked helping Air Raiders have a better life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Shunting some weird utility stuff from the EDF5-pattern ultra explosionmancer tech wizard air raider to the very effective but boring ranger makes sense outside of the context of dumb cave missions.