Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Randalor posted:

Wait, Shroud of the Avatar was actually released? Am I understanding that correctly? I remember hearing about the initial kickstarter, then it just kinda fell out of the news. I figured it just kinda died with a whimper.

Release date of like 5 years ago on Steam! I don't know if it was free-to-play then but it is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Player homes are now going to be instanced, I mean yeah that makes sense but Citizens always touted how Star Citizen doesn't do instances.

Also confirmed they are introducing the massive Hull-C trading ship with zero thought about how that might effect the economy or even be used. It's just another ship with no purpose being dumped into the game and it's probably fly the same as a light fighter.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Randalor posted:

Wait, Shroud of the Avatar was actually released? Am I understanding that correctly? I remember hearing about the initial kickstarter, then it just kinda fell out of the news. I figured it just kinda died with a whimper.

Yep, it released and no one cared about it but a handful of whales. https://store.steampowered.com/app/326160/Shroud_of_the_Avatar_Forsaken_Virtues/

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I think I have it in my steam library for some reason, I dl'd and had a look, and.... have not touched it for years.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

But because star citizen doesn't pay for marketing, distribution, publishing, or doors, each dollar in Star Citizen is again magnified five-fold (according to the VP of marketing)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's pretty sad and funny that this is likely the closest thing to a confirmation anyone will get about ToW being canned. I wonder if SQ42 being pulled from the store is an early indicator of the same fate? It seems unlikely, given how they're still sending those nothingburger updates out, but they've just straight up lied like that before.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Popete posted:

Player homes are now going to be instanced, I mean yeah that makes sense but Citizens always touted how Star Citizen doesn't do instances.

No shortcuts ever! Except in this one case.

What does "Pyro still needs server meshing" even mean? Is the mythical meshing system going to be enabled/disabled on a per star system basis?

To be honest the notes from the bar citizen seem a bit more grounded in gamedev reality: instances, pre-fabs, ToW being shelved, and generally answering "no, you won't be able to do that" instead of the usual vitamin-fueled shlock :trustme:

truly these are the end days :ohdear:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

cmdrk posted:

What does "Pyro still needs server meshing" even mean? Is the mythical meshing system going to be enabled/disabled on a per star system basis?

I'm pretty sure it means that, for them to be able to get Pyro working, they first need to get server meshing working.

As in, they have no sensible session management where the player state can be stored and restored as you transition from one system being handled by one server to a second system being handled by a second server. At least not without incurring a (gasp! dramatic strings! psycho chords!) loading screen.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
"___ still needs Server Meshing" is CIG-speak for "Yeah, we definitely can't make this work the way we were told to do it, so we're just going to not do it until our bosses forget what they said and tell us they want it done a completely different way, or until we can get a better job somewhere else."

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

It also feels like they've managed to code themselves into a game world management state where you can't really transition between severs (or even instances?) without doing a full game reload.

There have been a few famous instances of games working that way, often for very silly reasons, like Force Unleashed 1, where changing outfits meant you had to reload the map… (not the player model — the entire game level). Or the-game-I-can-never-remember-the-name-of that tried to compete with Unreal 2, but somehow managed to fail because the whole thing was running in JIT-compiled Java, and any time you loaded a level… or reloaded a save… or did anything really, the whole game had to re-compile with new parameters to reflect the current map state. :suicide101:
Even as bad as Unreal 2 was, at least it rested on a solid engine rather than that nonsense.

I wouldn't be shocked to learn that in their attempts to cram huge “persistent” levels into Cryengine, they've managed to break the world state to such a degree that they've caused the same thing to occur there.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's the part I don't get why and Citizens have asked the same question. Why can't they just have Pyro be another server instance you load into from the main menu? They should be able to do that (unless Pyro isn't complete of course) but CIG seems completely resistant to the idea of introducing another system until Server Meshing is implemented.

Seems like it would be an easy win for CIG if they managed to finally put out a second star system even if it was a separate server. Perhaps their back end couldn't handle managing character state between the two systems for whatever reason, like you would have two separate characters one for Stanton and one for Pyro.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Only Kindness posted:

Hey, that's not a feline with a vision-correcting lens! Whoo izzat noww?

(I feel to get the full impact we have to learn all the dramatis personae.)

This is one of the original Star Citizen Defenders. He was there long before the cat.

And I feel they will both still be posting long after everyone else is gone.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

What was ToW?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It was basically a battlefield game style combined arms mode where you would have ships and tanks and infantry all fighting on a relatively smaller map. My understanding was they could never get it running playably performance wise.

Doesn't sound ominous for the larger project at all

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Remember that Star Citizen is being billed as an MMO and they couldn't get a 20v20 Battlefield knock off to run well.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

That's the part I don't get why and Citizens have asked the same question. Why can't they just have Pyro be another server instance you load into from the main menu? They should be able to do that (unless Pyro isn't complete of course) but CIG seems completely resistant to the idea of introducing another system until Server Meshing is implemented.

Seems like it would be an easy win for CIG if they managed to finally put out a second star system even if it was a separate server. Perhaps their back end couldn't handle managing character state between the two systems for whatever reason, like you would have two separate characters one for Stanton and one for Pyro.

The argument the backers have deceived themselves into believing is that because it's an alpha they are not players but testers. And CIG wants to test server meshing so there is no point in releasing Pyro by itself until they are ready to test the meshing. Sure, they could have it in another server instance. Hell, they could have any of the multiple systems they surely have ready but have not shown because *spoilers* in other instance, but that wouldn't test the new networking tech.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Joke Miriam posted:

What was ToW?

it was the game mode that was basically a sure-fire-win for the engine they chose

since the engine was built specifically (before they hosed with it) to do all the things they wanted to do in TOW

smaller battles between ground forces and some vehicle combat mixed in, like a battle you would see any day of the week in a battlefield or arma game

it was also used as a big marketing platform, and where they also hired streamers specifically for marketing of TOW (the streamers were all totally organized though and now paid in any way shape or form don't check our TOS)

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Popete posted:

Also confirmed they are introducing the massive Hull-C trading ship with zero thought about how that might effect the economy or even be used. It's just another ship with no purpose being dumped into the game and it's probably fly the same as a light fighter.

Lol, still no info on SQ404, it’s looking more and more like a space-court issue.

Also I’m really shocked that ToW has been cancelled, I really believed that the broom closet labeled “Arena Commander Features Team” was going to pull off a miracle.

Overall it’s just more nothing though. “Give us your money and get a glacial drip feed on non-content”. They haven’t even put a second river in the game yet.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Their incompetence is so impressive we can’t even theorycraft why a simple solution is not in place

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

JugbandDude posted:

Their incompetence is so impressive we can’t even theorycraft why a simple solution is not in place

It's true. Notice how the only confirmed info we have about this weird SuitsYouSir42 vanishing situation is what it's not, and the original reason given (price change) didn't pass the smell test back then, and is positively rancid now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star Citizen is extremely ambitious on paper, and the staff from what can be found on LinkedIn, and people on Twitter claiming to work at CIG, is that the staff is very inexperienced and not up to the task of being able to deliver on the proposed vision of the game. Only very junior / entry level people are being hired, even at management roles, when in reality a game of this scope needs almost exclusively senior level people, but that costs a lot of money.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That is.what is astounding. It defies all logical and illogical thinking.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Star Citizen is extremely ambitious on paper, and the staff from what can be found on LinkedIn, and people on Twitter claiming to work at CIG, is that the staff is very inexperienced and not up to the task of being able to deliver on the proposed vision of the game. Only very junior / entry level people are being hired, even at management roles, when in reality a game of this scope needs almost exclusively senior level people, but that costs a lot of money.

I don't think it's a money thing, early on they hired a bunch of Crytek employees who would have been very familiar with the engine by now I believe they've all left probably because they realized what Chris Roberts was proposing wasn't going to be feasible. I doubt any senior experienced game devs would go work for CIG so their recruiting pool is down to graduates looking for their first job in the industry.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Popete posted:

I don't think it's a money thing, early on they hired a bunch of Crytek employees who would have been very familiar with the engine by now I believe they've all left probably because they realized what Chris Roberts was proposing wasn't going to be feasible. I doubt any senior experienced game devs would go work for CIG so their recruiting pool is down to graduates looking for their first job in the industry.

Yep, I think you nailed it. No one with AAA game experience would join this team. If you’re looking to join a massive AAA project as a very experience senior level game dev, you’re joining something like Rockstar to work on GTAVI.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

A small but profoundly immersive and diegetic experience unique to SC in the whole gaming industry AFAIK posted:

Giving something (as opposed to trading something) to another player has always been a convoluted process in games. Always far from diegetic.
Either you need to drop something on the floor for them to pick up, or use a trade window, or some shared container.

But I dangled an item in front of my friend with a tractor beam, and was surprised he could pick it up, straight from the beam.
It felt so intuitive, so organic, so natural that it was both diegetic and immersive.

I didn't need to tell him where the droped object was, or flash my head-torch at it, or jump around next to it. I didn't need to tell him which locker to open.
I simply held the item in front of him, as one would in real life.

This simple act blew my mind. It was the first time I could do that in a video game.

I was showing him how to use a multi-tool with a med attachment, and the "B" function. So first, I dangled the multitool in front of him, and he took it. Equipped it, and tried to fire it. Then I dangled the medical attachment and he took that, and seemed to have pulled the attachment from his hand directly into the multitool via "I", cuz that felt like an intuitive thing to do.

I was taken aback how natural it all felt. I did not need to explain how the attachment looked like in order for him to pick it out from a box. Neither did I need to explain to him what and why it was. The order in which I gave him the items was self-evident to their purpose.

The fact that something was right in front of his nose meant I didn't need to hope that he saw what I wrote in order to react.

So amusing how this is something we take for granted in RL, but in a video game this feels absolutely amaze-balls.

quote:

A lot of people aren't going to understand why it is significant but yes, that sort of player to player interaction is very rare in video games. I'll be thrilled the day we can just pass something to another player and they take it from our hands.

quote:

Not using a tractor beam, but a similar experience. I was helping a new player, we were on my Corsair floating in space and both in need of a drink. I grabbed the flask tucked behind an item on my counter, took a sip then placed it on the table. He grabbed it and took a sip as well. It dawned on me that I had never shared the same beverage with another player before, maybe in all my gaming experience ever! It felt very natural, but I also realized how impressive it was within a game.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
This is the last video Starfleet Dental uploaded. Over 9 years old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZHElERa0JA

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/6pWMcbc.mp4

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Junk Puncher posted:

I personally miss the days before we saw the fraud behind the curtain. When the Goons were all in, forming guilds, building a fleet and a war chest, theorycrafting, creating elaborate org flowcharts, and drawing lines in the sand. It was all decent production quality for what turned out to be a daydream.

Most of all I miss the You must be a Something Awful Platinum Member to view this message.

I still fire up this video from time to time because it makes me laugh so god drat much. What a time it was back then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc7ywfd1qe8

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

orcane posted:

Ok seriously now. My favourite thing were pgabz videos.

I hope pgabz is okay :ohdear:

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

cmdrk posted:

truly these are the end days :ohdear:

Actually these are the early days

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Popete posted:

quote:

Pyro still needs server meshing

quote:

CIG wants to get server meshing figured out before rolling in new systems
:gary:

quote:

ToW assets aren't coming in Arena Commander and ToW is shelved
:yarg:

quote:

CIG doesn't have a projection on how the Hull-C will affect the economy yet
Tony Z hard at work on his quasarnomics, I see. :discourse:

quote:

Player housing and ownership will be a thing, but it's expected to be instanced. You could have any number of people owning "Flat 23 B" in a hab tower.
So much for "no cheating", physicalisation, and those city buildings being anything else than carboard models.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 28, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So when Star Citizen limps over the finish line, and it's just a bog-standard MMO with instances, loading screens and all the other standard game trappings, will the worshippers of Croberts call it the greatest game ever that had to make sacrifices, or will they be incensed that CIG didn't create the most groundbreaking game ever that was a perfect sci-fi life simulator?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Randalor posted:

So when Star Citizen limps over the finish line, and it's just a bog-standard MMO with instances, loading screens and all the other standard game trappings, will the worshippers of Croberts call it the greatest game ever that had to make sacrifices, or will they be incensed that CIG didn't create the most groundbreaking game ever that was a perfect sci-fi life simulator?

When?

*If* that ever happens (release bog-standard MMO with instances, loading screens and all the other standard game trappings) the worshippers will call it the most ground-breaking game ever made precisely because it is not faking anything and didn't have to sacrifice a thing. Loading screens? You fudster, those are not loading screens, they are time-shifted gameplay linkers. Instances? gently caress you! They are clearly pan-harmonized quanta spaces. Pay-to-win? Firstly, what is "winning"? and secondly, what is "paying"?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Seriously hard to imagine that a stable, fleshed out game will ever come of this.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Can you prove that the paying was 100% the cause of the winning? Would a catatonic schizophrenic backer who bought the most expensive ships be able to win against the best SC twitch streamer? I think not! Unless it is 100% then it is not pay-to-win

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

trucutru posted:

When?

*If* that ever happens (release bog-standard MMO with instances, loading screens and all the other standard game trappings) the worshippers will call it the most ground-breaking game ever made precisely because it is not faking anything and didn't have to sacrifice a thing. Loading screens? You fudster, those are not loading screens, they are time-shifted gameplay linkers. Instances? gently caress you! They are clearly pan-harmonized quanta spaces. Pay-to-win? Firstly, what is "winning"? and secondly, what is "paying"?

No, no, they WILL eventually take whatever steaming pile of drek they have, shovel it out the door and say that the game is "finished" and they are moving on to better things all while running with all the cash as fast as they can to the plane to fly them to a country with no extradition treaty in place. I hear Cuba is lovely this time of the year.

Eventually the money well will start to dry up, and when it does, they'll cut their losses, "release" the "final" "build" of the "game" and say they fulfilled their end of the deal. Sure Croberts will never be able to work again, but gently caress it, at that much money, he'll never need to work again anyways.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Randalor posted:

Sure Croberts will never be able to work again, but gently caress it, at that much money, he'll never need to work again anyways.

I'm not sure he's ever worked at all.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

Hey remember that time he tried to play that video game once. For a CEO that's a lot of work right there. Easily worth a few million!

Although funnily it does sort of sound like he's doing a bunch of -very slow inconsistent- work, making everything needing to be approved by him. I mean it's work that's make the final product delayed massively and far worse that it has any right to be, but works, work.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

Well, "work" in the sense of having his name attached to a project. And I mean, he did work back in the days of Wing Commander, he did have a reputation to use as a foundation for this scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

FishMcCool posted:

:gary:

:yarg:

Tony Z hard at work on his quasarnomics, I see. :discourse:

So much for "no cheating", physicalisation, and those city buildings being anything else than carboard models.

Question as I’m just catching up on the latest news. And also never really understood half the made up terms cig uses

Is this new news saying that star citizen will NEVER do what they said it will. So you can’t land on any planet and see all 1000 of your friends waiting for you in your new condo to congratulate you on your new promotion to star lord emperor ?

And instead you’ll have 10 groups 100 friends staring at each other in their own little instances world , and discussing how cool it is to not see everyone while on discord because the in game comms are completely broken by the time this is at all possible ?

Just checkin