Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Day 3 of DIY: gently caress I hate breadboard jumpers, also my first breadboard 'patch' didnt do anything but make the Schmidt trigger chip real hot :( Hope I didn't fry it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

xzzy posted:

I appreciate their media campaign accurately portraying the sounds I'd get out of it though.

https://youtu.be/tT1w9p_O17s

It really shows what synth hardware enthusiasts can expect to hear.

(Also I love that “shreds” videos are still around in TYOOL 2023 in spirit)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wanna see and hear him do the worm

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's now becoming a daily routine to have an improvised rave in the park through my IEM's. :allears:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

Day 3 of DIY: gently caress I hate breadboard jumpers, also my first breadboard 'patch' didnt do anything but make the Schmidt trigger chip real hot :( Hope I didn't fry it.
I know that feeling.
Like winding a motor for a class project. "I made it dual function. It spins AND heats(maybe a bit too much)"
Now yah get to practice troubleshooting.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

B33rChiller posted:

I know that feeling.
Like winding a motor for a class project. "I made it dual function. It spins AND heats(maybe a bit too much)"
Now yah get to practice troubleshooting.

I bought two VCO kits so I swapped the chip and sure enough I fried the first one. At least they're cheap!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Im trying to solder two three-pin transistors that are right next to each other and I just don't have the eyesight to do this at all, even with a magnifier. Have a bad feeling I'm just going to have to sell these kits on unless my optometrist has some help :(

I have astigmatism and I know my eyesight isn't great but holy poo poo I can just feel it getting worse trying to do this.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Tayter Swift posted:

Im trying to solder two three-pin transistors that are right next to each other and I just don't have the eyesight to do this at all, even with a magnifier. Have a bad feeling I'm just going to have to sell these kits on unless my optometrist has some help :(

I have astigmatism and I know my eyesight isn't great but holy poo poo I can just feel it getting worse trying to do this.

I bought a magnifying glass to help with SMD stuff. I’d try something like that before giving up.

There’s also the headband/visor magnifiers that you wear, but I found I prefer a regular, Sherlock Holmes style hand-held one, personally.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

unless my optometrist has some help :(

If you are over 40 it might be time for a pair of reading glasses. Definitely hit up your optometrist.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

Something like this might be helpful.
https://youtu.be/B3YWHGVLLnM

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Thanks all, and sorry for the panic attack. It's the first time I've really noticed my close-up vision being affected. Hell my laptop screen is maybe 12 inches away right now and I'm seeing fine without glasses. I do have a couple magnifiers including my phone but it was still frustrating.

There's a lot of flux on the board which is causing a lot of glare and not helping matters. I was able to undo the mistake I made (I think; have to check later), but I need to get some IPA to clean it off or something before I work on it again.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I use a mag with a circline tube in it on an arm, can’t see poo poo without it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Eccles posted:

If you are over 40 it might be time for a pair of reading glasses. Definitely hit up your optometrist.

I finally got readers this year, just boring retail store ones, and holy shot the difference they make. (Don't get the blue filtering ones, that poo poo is a scam AND tends to reflect light from behind you into your eyes.)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

My new dawless battery operated rig. My next park session is going to be fun :)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I just had a great customer service experience.
I had ordered a used vco module that seemed cool and affordable. I was getting hyped for it, and watching demos, etc. Then I wondered if it could go down onto lfo range.
Looking into the company a bit more, I discovered they're on the same island as me, and I could just call them up without worry of international calling.
I called the shop, and said I've got a question about the quadtec 101 .
The guy on the other end said "hold on, I'll let you talk to Phil. He designed it."
Wow! Had a little chat with him, and he fired up his rig to test, since he wasn't sure how low it could go. "I think I coded 17 Hz as the minimum, but I'm not sure. Gimme a second"
Real nice.
https://www.cctv.fm/shop

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fuctifino posted:

My new dawless battery operated rig. My next park session is going to be fun :)

Needs a key you have to turn to power it on. And a big red button under a protective shroud so people think you're about to launch some nukes.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

Something like this might be helpful.
https://youtu.be/B3YWHGVLLnM

Hey wow I thought of you when I found a USB microscope at the thrift store today for $15. This could be a real game changer in my soldering, not sure. It only has 250x and to zoom out you have to move the camera further away and it autofocuses at 250x x whatever distance it is, but here it is at first try:

I think it looks mighty useful even if it isn't as nice as the one you linked above.

ED but it's from Plugable, the accessories people and it's very minimal, pretty elegant design. And only $38 on Amazon.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

So today was a major thrift store haul, I found a REALLY nice bass amp and a Techtronic O scope. I'll be trying to sell or swap this loving nice bass amp for something I can use, but I could maybe use a little advice on how to hook up this O scope to see if it works. Some lights come on when I power it up.

Oh, and here is the bass amp, in case anybody is interested in swapping a nice piece of gear for it, I'll list it properly on SA Mart shortly.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 21, 2023

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

petit choux posted:

I can use, but I could maybe use a little advice on how to hook up this O scope to see if it works. Some lights come on when I power it up.

Manual for the scope can be found here: https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/453

There is a CAL output in the upper right that should be outputting a 1 Khz sine wave. You can hook that up to an input, if you have the right cable (and probably some terminator resistor thingies if the signal looks wonky). But RTFM, etc.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Eccles posted:

Manual for the scope can be found here: https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/453

There is a CAL output in the upper right that should be outputting a 1 Khz sine wave. You can hook that up to an input, if you have the right cable (and probably some terminator resistor thingies if the signal looks wonky). But RTFM, etc.

Wow thanks, I am also asking at the electronics thread, and I'm not going to continue on here. That's impressive though, got a manual link here first. I'm sure you post in both.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
a big regret of mine in hindsight was grabbing like three analog oscilloscopes in 2009 that my alma mater’s physics dept was giving away for free—this is like four years before I got into synths—and then, not knowing what to do with them, leaving them with an ex roommate who, at best, I think sold them to a guy he knew and at worst left them for the landlord to toss.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

An analog scope is one of those things I always want but really don't have any consistent use for, so I'm sort of just hoping the universe will drop one in my lap at some point. Hasn't happened yet though!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

MockingQuantum posted:

An analog scope is one of those things I always want but really don't have any consistent use for, so I'm sort of just hoping the universe will drop one in my lap at some point. Hasn't happened yet though!

Well it may not have happened here either. Not getting it working so far.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Holy poo poo it works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEftjR3dXYk

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

petit choux posted:

I found a REALLY nice bass amp

jfc you weren’t kidding, how tf do you find these things at a thrift store

edit: looks like 1968-1973 era based on standby switch, poo poo goes for over $2k lol

https://reverb.com/news/the-golden-age-of-the-ampeg-b-15-1960-1980

Pillow Face fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 22, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I added a second nanokey2 to the portable battery operated rig. It allows me to play to instruments with the left hand, while being able to use the right on the Deluge.

e: It's officially a time machine. I switch it on, and suddenly find myself 30 mins into the future and feeling happy

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 24, 2023

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Where can I get a cheap box and rails in British Columbia? I finally have enough of a income stream to consider building a rack.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

if you've got the tools, make a box and cut down these:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vector/TS600?qs=MufAK3yimRPs3mcEqQASeQ%3D%3D
(this is for a 60" section)

otherwise probably either Tip Top or Behringer's 19" rack compatible kits and a studio rack of appropriate dimensions

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
95% sure I'm going to buy a model:samples but wouldn't mind a sense check. Will mostly be using it as a drum machine paired with a Roland S1 as poly synth but may use it standalone from time to time. I'd like to make some IDMish + future garage stuff and mostly play 'live' rather than pre-sequence everything. I'm thinking I can load in some 909 and Burial-esque samples. I like that it has para-meter possibilities and you can play the trigger probability pretty easily which I like to do. Conditional stuff is cool too.

In this price range and for that use am I missing out on anything else obvious? Volca beats / drums looks less ergonomic and doesn't have the parameters I want to perform with as easily accessible.

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 27, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Big OpSix is out of review embargo, prolly gonna cost $2k like Big Wavestate does

https://youtu.be/DzIZwP7DMMo

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

That seems absolutely insane to me.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Everyone: Get rid of the keyboard on the OpSix! We all have MIDI keyboards and it's too big for our desktops!

Korg: Bigger keyboards? Okay

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
lol

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
For $2k I'd expect the functionality of the trio of them

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Where can I get a cheap box and rails in British Columbia? I finally have enough of a income stream to consider building a rack.

Can you cut wood and drive screws? Do you have access to small lumber like 2x4 size?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pillow Face posted:

jfc you weren’t kidding, how tf do you find these things at a thrift store

edit: looks like 1968-1973 era based on standby switch, poo poo goes for over $2k lol

https://reverb.com/news/the-golden-age-of-the-ampeg-b-15-1960-1980

I've found a few valuable things now and then. I look for things that I'm interested in generally, like my vinyl collection is unsurpassed. For motivational speakers and belly dance records.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

petit choux posted:

Can you cut wood and drive screws? Do you have access to small lumber like 2x4 size?

Got a skillsaw and a drill gun, yeah. Not sure about access to lumber.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Got a skillsaw and a drill gun, yeah. Not sure about access to lumber.

I have just gotten my rack parts on ebay, but I haven't made a full eurorack setup. I have a couple 19" racks set up using cheap scrap lumber, I can't imagine it would cost all that much to build one or for that matter, a box with cheap plywood. The expensive part is the ps, cabling, rails. And would you use any kind of shielding, typically? I don't think I've been seeing a lot of shielding on these rack setups we see posted here sometimes, right?

ED: but it does seem to me that building your own box probably saves you a little over a ready-made.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
You guys are agents from Arturia trying to get me to buy a Rackbrute, aren't you.....

I've never been able to get into properly using Softube Modular, even though I bought some really cool modules. I really have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it, and while I did find a really cool series of tutorials on the program, they're really really long, and I just can't muster the interest level to watch them. I usually get a basic oscillator/filter/amp thing going, and then lose interest, so I've decided that modular probably isn't for me, although I imagine using the physical hardware would be more intuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

im_sorry posted:

You guys are agents from Arturia trying to get me to buy a Rackbrute, aren't you.....

I've never been able to get into properly using Softube Modular, even though I bought some really cool modules. I really have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it, and while I did find a really cool series of tutorials on the program, they're really really long, and I just can't muster the interest level to watch them. I usually get a basic oscillator/filter/amp thing going, and then lose interest, so I've decided that modular probably isn't for me, although I imagine using the physical hardware would be more intuitive.

ehhhhhh, about 6 one way, half a dozen the other, from my perspective. If you're not digging it with emulation, hardware might just be an expensive sinkhole that you don't end up using anyway.