Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

alg posted:

I think my wife and I must be whales.
Or you're savers. Whales are the people who don't care about spending an extra $500 for a family of four to get Genie+ and ILL all week, because an extra $500 is to them what an extra $15 is to people like me; not an amount worth giving a poo poo about and I'll never miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

I don't think that's true, though. People kept buying it at $15. When they made $15 the floor and let it float, usage still didn't go down. People are apparently gonna buy this, either becausee they're whales who don't care or because they're once-in-a-lifetime trippers who've saved for this for years, and what's a few hundred dollars more to make sure you have the best experience?

That's because he's talking about closer to the $200 Universal charges, not the sometimes $30 Disney does.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Arquinsiel posted:

You need to take another step and define what "efficiency" means here, because it looks like you mean "maximum rides per person per day" whereas to Disney it means "rate of money extracted per customer per minute" and time in rides is not time in shops or getting food.

I mean efficiency as in people being able to move around freely and do everything they want to do (including standing in line for food, etc) and cast members at attractions being able to get people into cars and keep riders per hour as high as possible. Obviously efficiency isn't the only thing that matters, if it was then the entire park would be one giant omnimover ride that could handle 70,000 people an hour (sounds like a great park sim game concept). But any ride system is going to have some sort of disruption that knocks efficiency that we have to be understanding of, one most people have experienced occurs when a person wants to ride an omnimover ride who must transition from a wheelchair and needs extra time to get in the vehicle, slowing the entire chain down. We can absorb these understandable variables better if we don't have don't have variables that exist primarily because of marketing. FastPass creates variables for the sake of marketing, especially since throwing "pick your ride" FPs was the company's primary way of dealing with problems it created, and those can be disruptive and very random. Compounding the issue is that FP is essentially a load balancing system and disruptions to it quickly requires it be offset by prioritizing FP return lanes over standby to an even greater extent than before.

My philosophy is that operators want to keep every chair as full as possible as quickly as possible. The load balancing effect of FP isn't really felt by people working the seating and operation of an attraction because they want to seat as many people as quickly as they courteously can, the morning crush of people visiting hitting up their attraction is mostly Out There and they would optimize as best they can whether the line is fifteen or fifty minutes long. Doing so keeps Riders/Hr high and keeping that high makes visitors happy because the line is moving a few feet regularly instead of making someone wait 10 minutes in the same spot and grow irritated, and the best way to do that is to minimize the occurrence of random events to largely the ones that are necessary for everyone being able to enjoy the ride.

CapnAndy posted:

I don't think that's true, though. People kept buying it at $15. When they made $15 the floor and let it float, usage still didn't go down. People are apparently gonna buy this, either becausee they're whales who don't care or because they're once-in-a-lifetime trippers who've saved for this for years, and what's a few hundred dollars more to make sure you have the best experience?
Between Remy not having a lightning lane at all and Epcot having a lot of other rides that move a lot of people every hour, every time I look at the ride waits page for Epcot I feel like I would have no reason to buy LLs. On the other hand, for Studios and DAK it makes much more sense.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Another problem with charging for "Fastpass" is that, before, attraction ops management could make the call to make the Fastpass line wait a little longer if needed, as long as they still got on faster than the standby line. It was free, and they still got on faster than standby, so there wasn't much room to complain. Now that people are paying for it, no exceptions, it MUST move fast.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Or you're savers. Whales are the people who don't care about spending an extra $500 for a family of four to get Genie+ and ILL all week, because an extra $500 is to them what an extra $15 is to people like me; not an amount worth giving a poo poo about and I'll never miss it.

Genie+ doesn't bother me but some reason ILLs do. The only time I've ever gotten an ILL for anything was for a second ride on Tron because my wife wanted to ride it at night. We only had one day in MK since we were on property at Universal so it made sense. MK is the only park where Genie+ seemed like it was worth it, but even then, I'm not really sure. I typically avoid WDW during the busiest times of the year, but certain attractions always have a long queue (Peter Pan's Flight, looking at you) and you really only get one attraction where the lines may be shorter if you don't want to watch Happily Ever After. Even then, you still have to navigate the crowds to get to another section of the park if you're not where you want to be.

Pretty sure their data showed no one was using Genie+ at Epcot or AK so that's why they split it off. They figure if they cut the price by 40-50 percent at those parks, they may push adoption. The only rides you'd really need it for are Ratatouille, Frozen, and Test Track, and with the exception of a portion of Ratatouille (maybe part of test track too?), those are indoor, covered queues. With AK, it's effectively just River Journey, but so many of those queues are open air that I would consider Genie+ slightly more justifiable when it's hot and busy.

I've noticed a significant increase in Express at Universal over the last year, but it's mostly deluxe resort guests since Express is an included perks. I'm convinced the reason they raised the price on the Premier AP was to price adjust the Express after 4pm on it. With the pre-2023 price, if you had a premier and did 5 days on property, that pass would nearly pay for itself just in park tickets and room and food discounts for one trip. Takes two now, but it's still not too terrible.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Remove it from your account first, then you have nothing to worry about with it being linkable to you at all.

The way that stuff works is the band has a unique, persistent ID number linked to the serial on it (the number may even be the serial) that it broadcasts with a weak radio signal, and when you scan it the Disney machine looks up which account has registered that serial in their database. The band is never written to and is just a dumb little chip constantly yelling out "MY ID IS 123456!" to anything in range that can listen. Everything that makes the connection is in your Disney account.

Actually, and this is a fun tidbit, RFID tags are primarily powered by the scanner: the circuit takes in the energy of a powerful signal and then activates other hardware and/or transmits back a very weak signal using the same energy it just took in. Batteries are still needed for anything else (lights, return signals that go more than an inch or two, etc) because the amount of energy that can be re-used really is minuscule, but that's how the MagicBand scanning can be ready 24/7 without the battery being dead in a week, and it's how credit cards and the like can do tap scanning with no extra hardware.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 26, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CapnAndy posted:

And by the way, this is why I think Disney's loving up so hard and screwing themselves on Genie+. Because those two definitions of "efficiency"? Mean the same thing. To both guests and Disney, riders waiting in line are useless. They're not riding rides and they're not spending money. That's why line-skip programs exist in the first place; the business side of the park demands wait times be as low as possible too.
I think this is reductive of the experience TBH. Sometimes waiting in line is fun. All the times I've been to Paris were with friends and we had a great time just spending a week together talking poo poo and enjoying each other's company. At the other end of things, over in Universal the queue for Fast and Furious is somehow better than the ride itself. At least Disney tries to make the queues themselves inherently entertaining for the two-trip Standard Guest, and TBH it works if you aren't going more than once as an adult. Also, see below as to why they're not actually the same thing.

Craptacular! posted:

I mean efficiency as in people being able to move around freely and do everything they want to do (including standing in line for food, etc) and cast members at attractions being able to get people into cars and keep riders per hour as high as possible.
See that's literally optimising for both outcomes at once which is not possible. From the perspective of Disney's moneymaking calculations people in rides have no value beyond being in a queue for the gift shop at the end. If anything the ride itself just serves to make that queue un-necessarily long, which is why you can just skip it on older rides and on a lot of newer stuff like Galaxy's Edge there's just stores all over and you get dumped back out of a ride wherever. There's also the mid-queue drinks stall in Smuggler's Run in Orlando at least, so you can buy stuff while you queue. If anything the new Spider-Man Webslingers idea of hitting the shop before the ride to get your ride toy means that they're acknowledging what they actually want you to do, which is spend regardless of actually getting on rides. The real tough thing to plan for is the moving around freely bit, which is why the pathways are so carefully designed to present multiple routes to any given destination and to try guide you around. The fully optimised for efficiency system is probably why you see parks merch on ShopDisney these days, just sit at your computer and hit buy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CapnAndy posted:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Arquinsiel posted:

I think this is reductive of the experience TBH. Sometimes waiting in line is fun. All the times I've been to Paris were with friends and we had a great time just spending a week together talking poo poo and enjoying each other's company. At the other end of things, over in Universal the queue for Fast and Furious is somehow better than the ride itself. At least Disney tries to make the queues themselves inherently entertaining for the two-trip Standard Guest, and TBH it works if you aren't going more than once as an adult. Also, see below as to why they're not actually the same thing.
I mean, hey, you do you. I personally don't see why enjoying each other's company and shooting the poo poo couldn't be done in more pleasant circumstances than in line, like walking around the parks or over some food or drink, but if it makes you happy, great. And yeah, immersive queues are great. Flight of Passage and Rise of the Resistance have really good ones, and Cosmic Rewind has a great one, and they all tell stories that are intrinsic to the ride itself. They'd still be better if I wasn't standing still for ten minutes staring at one particular part of them until I was sick of it. (GotG gets the edge because it's so dynamic; whereas Flight and Rise are static scenes, GotG presents itself as an exhibit in its own right, so apart from the much too long and unchanging ramp room, the computer is always saying something different, different parts of the exhibits are lighting up, different clips are playing on the TVs.)

Also I think psychologically it just feels better to be in constant forward motion, rather than the stoooooooooooooooooooooop->quick lurch forward->stop again motion that standby gives you as LLs get prioritized.

Akileese posted:

I typically avoid WDW during the busiest times of the year, but certain attractions always have a long queue (Peter Pan's Flight, looking at you)
Peter Pan's Flight has an abysmal guest/hour rate, it's an inherent design flaw. I've never understood why this is so -- it's ride vehicles on a track, it doesn't seem any different from Winnie the Pooh or It's A Small World -- but it is, and I guess they can't fix it.

Roadie posted:

Actually, and this is a fun tidbit, RFID tags are primarily powered by the scanner: the circuit takes in the energy of a powerful signal and then activates other hardware and/or transmits back a very weak signal using the same energy it just took in. Batteries are still needed for anything else (lights, return signals that go more than an inch or two, etc) because the amount of energy that can be re-used really is minuscule, but that's how the MagicBand scanning can be ready 24/7 without the battery being dead in a week, and it's how credit cards and the like can do tap scanning with no extra hardware.
That was a fun fact! I like to learn new things.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

With VQ, GotG currently moves too fast to see the preshow elements.

The ramp room does have a show on the ceiling, it just seems to have long gaps between.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Aphrodite posted:

With VQ, GotG currently moves too fast to see the preshow elements.

The ramp room does have a show on the ceiling, it just seems to have long gaps between.

Yeah I missed a lot of it the first time, mainly the opening ramp room globe bit, because the queue was moving surprisingly fast. On my second ride I got to slow down and see a lot more, and it's great. I could just sit and look at the Xandar diorama for a long time.

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, hey, you do you. I personally don't see why enjoying each other's company and shooting the poo poo couldn't be done in more pleasant circumstances than in line, like walking around the parks or over some food or drink, but if it makes you happy, great. And yeah, immersive queues are great. Flight of Passage and Rise of the Resistance have really good ones, and Cosmic Rewind has a great one, and they all tell stories that are intrinsic to the ride itself. They'd still be better if I wasn't standing still for ten minutes staring at one particular part of them until I was sick of it. (GotG gets the edge because it's so dynamic; whereas Flight and Rise are static scenes, GotG presents itself as an exhibit in its own right, so apart from the much too long and unchanging ramp room, the computer is always saying something different, different parts of the exhibits are lighting up, different clips are playing on the TVs.)

I've been looking for an opening to complain itt about the Ratatouille queue.

It's boring and hot and I hate it so much.

The last time I was there we were behind a bunch of obviously buzzed college students having a great time and singing Shaggy's "It Wasn't Me" in the first indoor room. After about the fourth or fifth switchback and endless hallway of the same rat-themed red wallpaper, they were clearly losing their buzz and getting irritated and eventually they just got out of line and left.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 26, 2023

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hazo posted:

I've been looking for an opening to complain itt about the Ratatouille queue.

It's boring and hot and I hate it so much.

The last time I was there we were behind a bunch of obviously buzzed college students having a great time and singing Shaggy's "It Wasn't Me" in the first indoor room. After about the fourth or fifth switchback and endless hallway of the same rat-themed red wallpaper, they were clearly losing their buzz and getting irritated and eventually they just got out of line and left.

The only part I love is the part with Gusteau's sign hanging up and occasionally moving. The rest of it is as dull as MMRR (which is extremely sad and disappointing, at least for LL/DAS).

I don't understand why it isn't like, bolt holes through walls and stuff. They could have had so much fun with it and made it suck.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Arquinsiel posted:

See that's literally optimising for both outcomes at once which is not possible. From the perspective of Disney's moneymaking calculations people in rides have no value beyond being in a queue for the gift shop at the end. If anything the ride itself just serves to make that queue un-necessarily long, which is why you can just skip it on older rides and on a lot of newer stuff like Galaxy's Edge there's just stores all over and you get dumped back out of a ride wherever. There's also the mid-queue drinks stall in Smuggler's Run in Orlando at least, so you can buy stuff while you queue. If anything the new Spider-Man Webslingers idea of hitting the shop before the ride to get your ride toy means that they're acknowledging what they actually want you to do, which is spend regardless of actually getting on rides. The real tough thing to plan for is the moving around freely bit, which is why the pathways are so carefully designed to present multiple routes to any given destination and to try guide you around.

Maybe I'm a bit weird because I walk into gift shops without being psychologically manipulated into doing so, but rides DID have obvious inherent value until the ticket books went away. Rides justify the admission prices going up regularly, though if the end goal was people in gift shops then charging to get on rides while lowering admission would be the most obvious course of action.

quote:

The fully optimised for efficiency system is probably why you see parks merch on ShopDisney these days, just sit at your computer and hit buy.
That's a bit of a privileged take. I have not entered any park in twelve years, and yet remain a huge fan of them. I bought a Disney World 50th jacket at a Disney store in the outlet mall just last month because I thought it looked nice. There were already people subsidizing their Annual Passes and other lifestyle factors by reselling stuff from their nearby Disney online, so why shouldn't Disney just sell directly to people who can't make it to the property?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Remy's queue is objectively awful. There's one semi-good scene, the Paris rooftop, but you stay there way too long and Gusteau has a very limited amount of thing he can say, so he ends up repeating himself and it's just all around bad.

MMRR is also awful, except for the bit when Goofy comes through the screen.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Havent been on the MMRR in Anaheim, but apparently the queue there is great

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have literally no memory of Remy's queue in either Paris or Orlando, outside of the floor tiles reminding me of an Italian restaurant for some reason.

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, hey, you do you. I personally don't see why enjoying each other's company and shooting the poo poo couldn't be done in more pleasant circumstances than in line, like walking around the parks or over some food or drink, but if it makes you happy, great.
There's entertainment value in someone getting "the fear" about whatever ride you're waiting for and watching their 8 year old daughter giving them poo poo about it that you just don't get any other way.

Craptacular! posted:

Maybe I'm a bit weird because I walk into gift shops without being psychologically manipulated into doing so, but rides DID have obvious inherent value until the ticket books went away. Rides justify the admission prices going up regularly, though if the end goal was people in gift shops then charging to get on rides while lowering admission would be the most obvious course of action.

That's a bit of a privileged take. I have not entered any park in twelve years, and yet remain a huge fan of them. I bought a Disney World 50th jacket at a Disney store in the outlet mall just last month because I thought it looked nice. There were already people subsidizing their Annual Passes and other lifestyle factors by reselling stuff from their nearby Disney online, so why shouldn't Disney just sell directly to people who can't make it to the property?
I mean it's privileged in that they won't ship it to me anyway and I just get the UK site which is the Disney Store but online :shrug: You've identified why Disney do it: you haven't been to the parks but you're buying the merch. That's the ideal for them: no parks costs, still get merch sales.

Prices never go down, prices go up. Lowering admission hints at dropping quality even if there's no reason to believe that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

I have literally no memory of Remy's queue in either Paris or Orlando, outside of the floor tiles reminding me of an Italian restaurant for some reason.

There is nothing memorable, other than the animated Gusteau sign.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

the idea that standing in line in 95 degree heat with 1,000 people talking at the top of their lungs around you is fun is just, completely alien to me

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

alg posted:

the idea that standing in line in 95 degree heat with 1,000 people talking at the top of their lungs around you is fun is just, completely alien to me

ah but this is why I go in winter ("winter") and end up making 100 new friends every trip and just be-bopping along happily, loudly, the most agonizingly cheerful person in the world. Talk to all the people, chatter all the time, cheerfully point folks in the right direction, go live at Epcot.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
Ate at Chef Mickey's for the first time last night. Despite the high price it was awesome, imo great food, and the character dining aspect was contagiously fun. My mom was dancing along to the 'make some biscuits' song though, think it played at least three times while we were there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

alg posted:

We pay good money for that heat, and we're drat well gonna get it :colbert:

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

At Disneyland with our two year old. This morning we did the Carousel twice, then Casey Jr, then he played at the Toontown toddler area while my wife and I took turns doing Runaway Railway lightning line, then we went to Hungry Bear for lunch and now we're taking a break at the hotel. We definitely don't have any expectations for how many rides we're going to go on, but he seems to be doing ok. Just ignoring the meltdown when he decided he didn't want to go on Casey Jr after we had just boarded...and the meltdown when we made him leave Toontown to get lunch.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Edna Mode posted:

then he played at the Toontown toddler area while my wife and I took turns doing Runaway Railway lightning line
You know about Rider Swap, right? You just have to tell the people at the front of any line that you've got a small kid with you and only one of you has to wait in line while the other can stay with the kid, and when the first parent is done riding they'll come get the other one and take them directly onto the ride.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I bet just letting him continue playing while they swapped is probably worth the ILL cost though.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

I bet just letting him continue playing while they swapped is probably worth the ILL cost though.
Sure, but they could do that for every ride, is my point.

Does Dumbo have the legendary standby line that's basically one big playroom in Disneyland too? Because, y'know, get the kid on Dumbo, and also... playground.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Yeah we know about Rider Swap it was just quicker to do lightning lane. We'll do the same thing for Rise, even one standby wait is too long. We'd like to be spending our time together even if it means we don't do many rides.

Disneyland Dumbo just has a long albeit covered queue. Honestly my kid would probably not want to leave the playground if it was there!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh wait, does Disney rider swap just let you go wherever you want while waiting?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Aphrodite posted:

Oh wait, does Disney rider swap just let you go wherever you want while waiting?

Basically? I haven't used it in a long time, but they used to give you a paper fastpass and I think later it was fastpass to your band with an hour or so return time. But you as the second rider, don't wait inside the queue for the ride so theoretically you can go wherever.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

As long as we're talking about bad queues lets talk about how good the Secret Life of Pets queue over at USH is. Perfectly themed with wonderful animatronics and other fun scenes (the little screens in the mail slots!) It's such an instant classic ride from start to finish.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Arquinsiel posted:

You've identified why Disney do it: you haven't been to the parks but you're buying the merch. That's the ideal for them: no parks costs, still get merch sales.

Well, I did buy at a mall, which as far as I can tell is stocking stuff that didn't even get picked up by the company store.

But that's a small audience, and I'm honestly not normal. I'm not sure what the harm is in me buying a park stuff from a local mall or their store when there's already eBay sellers anyway. (And some of those resellers charge less than the non-AP, non-CM price so cheers to them.)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I KNEW IT!

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1674215938013515776?s=20

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Got our Jollywood and Christmas Party tickets, hell yeah

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

This is a horrifying statement

"by keeping Hillary’s skull and putting Trump’s skin over top of it"

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

alg posted:

Got our Jollywood and Christmas Party tickets, hell yeah

Same! I was a little thrown off by how easy it was. Normally on drop days Disney's IT is a shitshow.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

mattfl posted:

This is a horrifying statement

"by keeping Hillary’s skull and putting Trump’s skin over top of it"

Finally, a bi-partisan candidate

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Braksgirl posted:

Same! I was a little thrown off by how easy it was. Normally on drop days Disney's IT is a shitshow.

Apparently it failed to launch correctly for resort guests so there was still some of that too.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

It worked OK for us as resort guests.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Craptacular! posted:

Well, I did buy at a mall, which as far as I can tell is stocking stuff that didn't even get picked up by the company store.

But that's a small audience, and I'm honestly not normal. I'm not sure what the harm is in me buying a park stuff from a local mall or their store when there's already eBay sellers anyway. (And some of those resellers charge less than the non-AP, non-CM price so cheers to them.)
In a confusing turn of events I get most of my "park exclusive" stuff on Oxford Street these days.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Very late to the party, but Rise of the Resistance is so cool! So glad I was able to keep it unspoiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Edna Mode posted:

Very late to the party, but Rise of the Resistance is so cool! So glad I was able to keep it unspoiled.
I wish I had your self control. I spoiled myself on it ASAP but my wife managed to avoid it and has a new favourite ride.