Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Khanstant posted:

4 card SL is always off to a bad start but geez what a massive whiff. Of all the characters and moments in the movie, this is what they picked.

I was really hoping for a Tragic Slip that's the scene where Aragorn trips over his own sword

Edit:
https://i.imgur.com/ne15U0m.mp4

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Gotta keep pushing to see just how lovely of a product people will pay for, I guess

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Foil question:

Im a recent returnee to the game, having played until Mercadian Masques.
Back then foil cards did not curl at all.

Since returning i have heard a lot about how foil cards curl, and have experienced in myself after buying a few older cards (like from 2015ish). Those cards were agressively curled however foil cards in precons i have bought recently are not that bad.

Are precons better quality than cards from boosters or is foil quality improved? I want to buy the goblin secret lair and am thinking of getting the foil version but not if they curl real bad.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ineptitude posted:

Foil question:

Since returning i have heard a lot about how foil cards curl, and have experienced in myself after buying a few older cards (like from 2015ish). Those cards were agressively curled however foil cards in precons i have bought recently are not that bad.

Are precons better quality than cards from boosters or is foil quality improved? I want to buy the goblin secret lair and am thinking of getting the foil version but not if they curl real bad.

Expect all foils to curl. The foils that don't curl are the exception, the outlier.

There are videos explaining how to remove the curl (adding humidity, removing it, etc) but fixing it rarely fixes it for good. It just all sucks.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

plainswalker75 posted:

What the hell? There's gotta be a secret additional card that's actually good, right?

You'll get a secret megantic sliver and you'll like it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jabor posted:

Trying to colour match your fresh-off-the-press cards against cards that have spent decades fading is a real challenge and I'll have a degree of respect for the unnamed counterfeiter that finally pulls it off

I bought vials from my local store and two of them are just randomly insanely light compared to the other two

As far as I can tell they're all real, and I can't imagine there's much market in faking like, a $5 card to try and sell to an actual business. It's pretty wild just how much variation there is in even cards that should for sure be good

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Sickening posted:

And to elaborate a bit, for the magic player that buys expensive cardboard on occasion, I recommend the light test and only the light test.

Loupe + green dot for me, I do it religiously on every card I purchase, be it a common or a Volcanic Island. I am aware that you don't always see all four red dots (e.g. Ice Age and Alliances typically lack one or two) but it's the most accurate test and takes a second to do. Sucks about MDFCs and other cards without a proper cardback, but those I just check via hologram etc.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

As far as I can tell they're all real, and I can't imagine there's much market in faking like, a $5 card to try and sell to an actual business. It's pretty wild just how much variation there is in even cards that should for sure be good

If it's playable, there are fakes of it, no matter how cheap the card is. One of the Chinese "Modern Sets" even came with Fatal Pushes and such. Aether Vial used to be more expensive and I bought a fake Chalice of the Void from a vendor at a GP before my louping days so I don't even trust stores anymore. If you play MTG, get a loupe.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 26, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

Loupe + green dot for me, I do it religiously on every card I purchase, be it a common or a Volcanic Island. I am aware that you don't always see all four red dots (e.g. Ice Age and Alliances typically lack one or two) but it's the most accurate test and takes a second to do. Sucks about MDFCs and other cards without a proper cardback, but those I just check via hologram etc.

If it's playable, there are fakes of it, no matter how cheap the card is. One of the Chinese "Modern Sets" even came with Fatal Pushes and such. Aether Vial used to be more expensive and I bought a fake Chalice of the Void from a vendor at a GP before my louping days so I don't even trust stores anymore. If you play MTG, get a loupe.

Ah geez, well good to know. I do know that these two vials are legit at least, just weirdly light. Edit: well at least they seem to pass the other tests well enough, but I've never loupe'd them to be fair

If I every buy chaclie's I'm gonna have to for sure considering how incredibly expensive that card is at this point. If I'm paying for a legit card and the full price that entails, I definitely want to make sure that's what I'm getting lol

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
$30 is a lot for Mountains, but this is a pretty cool bundle

quote:

John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats loves Magic. For years, his pinned tweet has been “I want to play Magic: The Gathering,” he’s posted songs celebrating his progress in MTG Arena, and he even streamed a live concert for the Mountain Goats album In League with Dragons, from Wizards of the Coast headquarters.

Knowing this drop was in good hooves, we gave the Mountain Goats full creative control. Darnielle set these cards on Lorwyn, created the art descriptions, hand selected the artists, and reviewed the art as it was being produced. On top of all that, he penned the epic prophecy featured in the flavor text across these 10 cards.

With the first ever extended art on basic lands, these mountains truly are the home of the Mountain Goats.

Art by Darrell Riche, Victor Adame Minguez, Mark Zug, Warren Mahy, Larry MacDougall, Omar Rayyan, Martina Pilcerova, Fred Fields, Ron Spears, Erica Williams

All cards are English only.
https://secretlair.wizards.com/us/product/835860/featuring-the-mountain-goats

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Hi!

I'm asking recommendations for what boosters to buy for a sealed deck game with a couple of relatives. Some criteria below, in order of importance.

1) Not too complicated. The adults have not played Magic since... I want to say 8th edition? 7th maybe? And the teens of the group have only played with my old decks a bit. Me and one teen are exceptions, having played a few months of Arena a couple of years back and I tried it a bit again recently. No one else but us two has even seen a planeswalker before, for instance, and most of the keywords are completely alien for the others, too.

2) Not too much of a hassle. We have pretty much nothing except cards: no sleeves (if possible) and only coins or small rocks or something like that as counters/tokens.

3) The price matters. Lord of the Rings would be delightful since we are all fans but it is really expensive in comparison to older boosters.

4) Phyrexians are nostalgic and it would be nice to have some in the set. The amount of tokens and counters in March of the Machine, though...

I have roughly last three years of sets to choose from and I know I can't find one set that would fit all. What would you recommend? Thanks!

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 26, 2023

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Jumpstart. You want Jumpstart 2020 or Jumpstart 2022, NOT the "Jumpstart <Setname>" that gets released with each set.

Each pack is a themed collection of spells and the mana base to play them. You open two packs and combine them for a 40-card deck.

It's a good price point, it's instantly playable out of the box, it has plenty of playable cards and even a handful of very good cards, and the mix and match element gives you a ton of replayability. It's so good that they put the name "Jumpstart" on another, dogshit product to confuse people into buying that instead. Don't buy any packs of the Jumpstarts that are attached to normal sets.

There phyrexians here and there in Jumpstart but you probably won't see many of them, that's the downside.

If you absolutely must have phyrexians, the last big arc included a bunch of phyrexian poo poo happening. Six draft boosters per player is the standard for sealed constructed.

GonSmithe posted:

I always said I'd buy whatever they release with John Darnielle, but this isn't it for me. I cannot get excited about basic lands, even if they look cool.

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 26, 2023

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

big cummers ONLY posted:

it's instantly playable out of the box

So is it like the Jumpstart in Arena? You do make it sound great but deckbuilding is a major part of why I was thinking of Sealed and it seems to be a bit lacking in that.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I'm not sure what it's like on Arena but there is no deckbuilding in Jumpstart, just combining the two packs.

You could always get 6 packs of one of the recent Phyrexia sets and 2 packs of Jumpstart for each player, and do both! I just really love Jumpstart. A slam dunk product from a company that seems allergic to them.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Yeah Jumpstart rules, but if you want to build decks then just get a bunch of draft boosters from one of the recent sets (like All Will Be One or March of the Machine) and either draft them or treat them like a sealed pool where you build from the six packs you open.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Ineptitude posted:

Foil question:

It really is a tossup I think. I live in a humid area for the most part (winters can get pretty dry but every other season is pretty soggy), and with the exception of Commander Legends (which was legendarily notorious for curling foils), I don't really have the curling issue and never really have. Most cards I have that are curled either arrived that way in the packaging or from whoever I bought them from online. I've had a pile of foil Secret Lair cards sitting on my desk for around a month that I hadn't bothered sleeving up and putting in my binder today and they were still completely flat.

If you live in a dry place you may have some issues though. Though if you're into double-sleeving your cards, Dragon Shield's sealable inner sleeves have kept even most of my curled cards flat after I've flattened them out manually, for the most part. About 40 cards of my current cEDH decks are foil and, after a couple months of not playing, I just opened the box and could see one that may be noticeable if you look really really hard (and that's one I received in the mail pre-pringled).

Also, the new superdrop is super disappointing. I knew they wouldn't be able to touch how good the last one was, but this missed the bar and faceplanted. The death metal-themed one with Nekusar, Waste Not etc is probably the only one I'm vaguely interested in, but the LotR one blows, the Goblin one is meh at best (and I don't like the art style, personally), the Skeleton one has fun art but outside of Tinybones the cards are pretty rear end, (which sucks because I kinda want a Tinybones), the Ryan Alexander Lee art is gorgeous but I'm not sure who those cards are even for, and I'm not sure who the Elemental one is meant to appeal to, either. The Mountains sure are mountains.

Eh. Gives me time to catch up on everything post-ONE since I've put off buying singles since then (mostly because Zelda has consumed the past month and a half of my life).

Framboise fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 26, 2023

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Valiantman posted:

So is it like the Jumpstart in Arena? You do make it sound great but deckbuilding is a major part of why I was thinking of Sealed and it seems to be a bit lacking in that.

If you want to get into the sealed deck-building aspect, the recent set I think would fit the best is Dominaria United. Great set, simple mechanics that offer some depth. Phyrexians are hanging around but it's not as gnarly as Phyrexia All Will Be One or as mechanically complex as March of the Machine.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
DomU also has no double sided cards since they have no sleeves.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Framboise posted:

It really is a tossup I think. I live in a humid area for the most part (winters can get pretty dry but every other season is pretty soggy), and with the exception of Commander Legends (which was legendarily notorious for curling foils), I don't really have the curling issue and never really have. Most cards I have that are curled either arrived that way in the packaging or from whoever I bought them from online. I've had a pile of foil Secret Lair cards sitting on my desk for around a month that I hadn't bothered sleeving up and putting in my binder today and they were still completely flat.

If you live in a dry place you may have some issues though. Though if you're into double-sleeving your cards, Dragon Shield's sealable inner sleeves have kept even most of my curled cards flat after I've flattened them out manually, for the most part. About 40 cards of my current cEDH decks are foil and, after a couple months of not playing, I just opened the box and could see one that may be noticeable if you look really really hard (and that's one I received in the mail pre-pringled).

Also, the new superdrop is super disappointing. I knew they wouldn't be able to touch how good the last one was, but this missed the bar and faceplanted. The death metal-themed one with Nekusar, Waste Not etc is probably the only one I'm vaguely interested in, but the LotR one blows, the Goblin one is meh at best (and I don't like the art style, personally), the Skeleton one has fun art but outside of Tinybones the cards are pretty rear end, (which sucks because I kinda want a Tinybones), the Ryan Alexander Lee art is gorgeous but I'm not sure who those cards are even for, and I'm not sure who the Elemental one is meant to appeal to, either. The Mountains sure are mountains.

Eh. Gives me time to catch up on everything post-ONE since I've put off buying singles since then (mostly because Zelda has consumed the past month and a half of my life).

I like the art style of the Elemental one a lot... It's just attached to some random cards I won't play.

I think the ideal is 5 cards with unique art that you would or could likely play in the same deck.

If not, then I want the cards to at least be some kind of staple I will get to show in a deck. But that's still a consolation, much prefer to have the cool secret lair art themed together to be playable together.

The death metal one has a couple arts I like but man with pickings this slim overall I kinda wish we could just pay 30 bucks and pick out 5 SL cards from the super drop. Withhold the gambling sliver if wizard want to spite us about it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I love the janky classic lotr secret lair because it has extreme "mtg cardmaker" energy to it, just like all those custom cards people make with screenshots of their favorite cartoons or anime or the office or pet photos or whatever. All that's missing is some misaligned symbols, rules text that doesn't make sense, and a square set symbol.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Nighthand posted:

I love the janky classic lotr secret lair because it has extreme "mtg cardmaker" energy to it, just like all those custom cards people make with screenshots of their favorite cartoons or anime or the office or pet photos or whatever. All that's missing is some misaligned symbols, rules text that doesn't make sense, and a square set symbol.

That'd be a great April fools secret lair, like the white bordered Tibalt, the Fiend Blooded or the old rules text planeswalkers

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lmao brilliant
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maxmakesmagic/serialized-stickers-for-trading-cards

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Only reason I didn't buy a pack for a funny commander deck is I am terrible at applying lego stickers and this seems like that, but harder to get right and doing it 100 times.

This kickstarter is also going for another couple days:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thingamajigs/frameamajigs?ref=user_menu

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Rakdos Sac looks fun, I really want to win with Cat + Oven. Now I see that it might be making waves in Modern thanks to Samwise? I have to see which format is more popular around here.

It is pretty fun in pioneer! If you are looking at the modern list, this looks like the latest version of the deck to put up good results. I don't know much about it though, I mainly play Yawgmoth in modern.

Katana Gomai posted:

This was a cool read and thanks! I wish our RCQs offered such odds, I played a 68-player RCQ for a single slot the other weekend. :cry:
Most are not such good odds, this one books up weeks in advance as a result.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

Only reason I didn't buy a pack for a funny commander deck is I am terrible at applying lego stickers and this seems like that, but harder to get right and doing it 100 times.

This kickstarter is also going for another couple days:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thingamajigs/frameamajigs?ref=user_menu

Should have been inner sleeves instead of stickers.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Thanks for suggestions, I think I'll get some Dominaria cards for us then.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
This is church.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
The green dot is pretty infallible in my experience, particularly if you know what else besides the red L-dots to look for, and in conjunction with the other four dots which each have similar identifying characteristics. Also in the holo stamp on rares/mythics, you should be able to see "Wizards" written a bunch of times in microtext inside one of the planeswalker symbols. I've never seen a counterfeit have this and I've authenticated a LOT of Magic cards, it's the most reliable test for cards with the stamp imo

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

GonSmithe posted:

This better fuckin' come with a Mountain Goat reprint.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAkFMdFsj1U

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Interesting, John Darnielle is on the weeklymtg stream talking about how he made the art descriptions of those mountains.

This is amazing on stream, he plays so much more casually than every single person watching the stream, I'd bet. He has a lifelong grudge against the lifegain decks, doesn't know the meta decks and refuses to look at them. Doesn't really follow the lore, and just plays a lot of arena and has great stories about the most random cards.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 27, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah the SL blurb mentions he wrote all that stuff and that they noticed him because he had some posted pinned on his Twitter about MtG like "pls notice me" and they did. I know 100% that's the main thing I'd want to do if I ever had game, just weasel my way into stuff I like and want to make a thing for.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Cactrot posted:

Gonna be really funny when it turns out there is no way to identify which 1/1 ring is not fake.

You toss it into a fire and some elvish will appear on flaming letters if it is genuine.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Khanstant posted:

Yeah the SL blurb mentions he wrote all that stuff and that they noticed him because he had some posted pinned on his Twitter about MtG like "pls notice me" and they did. I know 100% that's the main thing I'd want to do if I ever had game, just weasel my way into stuff I like and want to make a thing for.

He also already had an in with Wizards, as he did a live performance for the release of his album In League with Dragons that was set up and broadcast by the official D&D channel.

If it was something other than thirty basic mountains I’d consider it.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

They shoulda put a single Valakut in as well :smugdog:

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
He is also like the most known/vocal “celebrity” that plays magic. He gets talked about every few months here

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TotalHell posted:

He also already had an in with Wizards, as he did a live performance for the release of his album In League with Dragons that was set up and broadcast by the official D&D channel.

If it was something other than thirty basic mountains I’d consider it.

*Ten basic mountains lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

uggy posted:

He is also like the most known/vocal “celebrity” that plays magic. He gets talked about every few months here
I didn't know Post Malone was part of the mountain goats

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

A Moose posted:

Interesting, John Darnielle is on the weeklymtg stream talking about how he made the art descriptions of those mountains.

This is amazing on stream, he plays so much more casually than every single person watching the stream, I'd bet. He has a lifelong grudge against the lifegain decks, doesn't know the meta decks and refuses to look at them. Doesn't really follow the lore, and just plays a lot of arena and has great stories about the most random cards.

I can’t stand The Mountain Goats’ music but near as I can tell from twitter John is as pure-of-heart of a Magic player as you’re gonna get and I think involving him more in promotion and fun design poo poo like the Secret Lair is an overall benefit to Magic as a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I really like their song Lovecraft in Brooklyn, but I'm not a huge fan of the rest of their catalog. I remember being very confused when they announced a fantasy-themed album with D&D songs and there was a song about former MLB player Doc Gooden on it, and they reasoned that into being a fantasy story because of the magic of baseball or some other weird logic. But that's indie rock I guess.