Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KNR
May 3, 2009
I think part of the problem is that the game pretends to be symmetric, but you can't really make an honest bot for a symmetric shooter. Perfect aim is easier to implement than any human-like levels of accuracy, so any bot is essentially letting you win by intentionally aiming bad. Learning that your opponents let you win would sour your memory of a match against humans as well.

This is not an issue for non-symmetric games where the AI behaviour is just a part of the ruleset, or strategy games where the AI is the one that needs advantages to give players a challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Orv posted:

Is this entire argument over the babies first bot/some bots matches that quite a few things do these days? It’s not like it’s easy to tutorialize BRs as a genre without just putting you in there.

it's not just the babies first bots, those games use bots to fill up lobbies to capacity if they can't find enough players to matchmake for a full game

the mobile game versions of popular fpses are egregious about this. although i'm not sure why anyone would want to play apex/cod/pubg mobile unless they literally didn't own any computer/console besides their smartphone

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I’m just concerned that soon games won’t need me to play them, and then what will I be? :shrug:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Stickman posted:

I’m just concerned that soon games won’t need me to play them, and then what will I be? :shrug:

Games will still need you to buy them, so Steam will live on forever

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Yeah, it's very kill fast/die fast and you are I think intended to rely heavily on stealth. It's really not a run and gun FPS, if that's what you were expecting. You can adjust damage taken in the difficulty settings, unless they've changed it from the Realm's Deep demo.

Something that might throw you (it was not obvious to me the first time I played) is that the game doesn't expect you to successfully complete the final exam in the tutorial. It's not impossible to do (I've done it), but it's way harder than the rest of the demo (the last fight, in particular), and when you inevitably get owned they offer you a by.

Oh I skipped the final exam, I was complaining about in the club after you first actually get to enemies and it didn't seem possible to sneak up on the first one.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the mobile game versions of popular fpses are egregious about this. although i'm not sure why anyone would want to play apex/cod/pubg mobile unless they literally didn't own any computer/console besides their smartphone

mobile shooters are mainly popular in countries where consoles and gaming PCs never got much of a foothold due to cost or import restrictions

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
bots are better than people, as far as FPS games are concerned anyway. no UT 2004 bot has ever called me a slur in chat or teabagged my corpse

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Voodoo Cafe posted:

bots are better than people, as far as FPS games are concerned anyway. no UT 2004 bot has ever called me a slur in chat or teabagged my corpse

You didn't get around much to the modded servers

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Voodoo Cafe posted:

They won't feel anger at you doing it to them.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Black Griffon posted:

My take is slightly more, well, pretentious, but I'm gonna wait until I get home to my desktop to write it up. It's a long one.

Right, so let us first establish five core concepts: Agency, intent, awareness, expectation and The Eightfold Path. Agency and intent is mainly specific to the systems you interact with as a player, awareness, expectation and the lake stretches farther than the horizon, yet the expanse of blood is all visible is mainly specific to the player, but they're all interchangeable in a sense, since an important part of my thesis is the idea of real, human actors on both sides of the divide.

Agency and intent is relatively self-explanatory. A human being has needs and wants, it can decide to do something, and it can desire an outcome. These words are not applicable to code. The terms can be used as descriptors, sure, but there is no desire in an algorithm. We can dispense with terms like skill, difficulty, unpredictability and such because these are things we can actually emulate to a successful degree (with limits, obviously), the relevant terms are the ones that cannot in any possible scenario be truly emulated. You can be tricked into thinking a bot wants to kill you if you remain unaware it's a bot, but that's not true desire.

So why is it relevant whether it's true or not if the effect is the same? Why does it matter whether or not the clump of pixels you killed is real person? Well, it's of course subjective and personal, but the awareness that the person on the other end has intentions and agency heightens the experience of play (using the term in a general sense, not only in terms of video games). You can consider the fact that another human being is reacting to the things you're doing, you are enriched by the knowledge that they are forming their own experiences, going through frustrations or moments of victory. You know that even competitive play is a form of cooperation, allowing people to experience and build something together. Awareness, however, is a double-edged sword, and that's why it's relevant to the whole bot thing.

Let us consider Peter Watts' seminal novel Blindsight or Ted Chiang's Division by Zero (available in Stories of Your Life and Others, which also contains the short story the Dennis Villeneuve film Arrival was based on). Both deal with the concept of a piece of knowledge fundamentally altering how you perceive the world in a negative way. You cannot forget or ignore your newfound knowledge, and it'll always poison your view of the world hence. Both are excellent reads, and I have no intention of actually spoiling the plot. Go pick 'em up.

Now let's relate it to the subject at hand. When I play a game with other people I expect to interact with humans, and I expect to be able to differentiate between humans and pure code. The problem with disrupting this expectation is that you start to doubt every interaction. It's not just that you did really good and feel cheated, it's that uncountable little moments of human contact start to feel fake. I enjoy the idea of getting defeated by an actual human being because I know that someone else had their own moment of victory, if I'm hiding in a bush with a rifle trained on a house, aware of the fact that another player is hiding in another bush a hundred meters away, I like to imagine that they also have a steadily rising pulse, that their wrists are also getting uncomfortably sweaty waiting out the timer. Experiences matter, awareness matters, intent and desire and feeling makes the game richer. But now you know it's a chinese room, now you know that the math doesn't add up. The guy hiding in the push was just bot that had reached some kind of idle trigger, the footsteps outside the house is someone trying to walk through a wall, the perfect knife throw through the window didn't make someone scream in anger somewhere in Belgium.

That anger wasn't real.

Which brings us at last to The Eightfold Path.

It is, in no uncertain terms, mandatory to immerse yourself in prescribed passages of The Spheres of Longing (Ravenor, Gideon, M41) before exploring any further. Armored in contempt, you can then read select passages from Book of Lorgar (Aurelian, Lorgar, M31). Summarizing, both out of courtesy to your soul and because we're going long, there is a vast lake of blood wider than the void between stars, and in that ocean of vitae, a mountain rises, forming at last a throne of skulls. To know the pain of the kill etched in your marrow, to ken the roaring rush of fury boring through your mind, is a thing of beauty. To slay again and again and again and again and to follow the eightfold path of chaos on a road to the realms of eternal battle, there is no sweeter taste. You cannot make a machine feel pain, and an abominable, false intelligence cannot earn victory. You can strike a cavern into a mountain with your sword, but it will never beg for mercy. An avalanche can turn you into paste, but it will never look you in the eye and tell you "Look, look upon the victor. Look upon the dagger in your heart and know that I wanted this."

So, in conclusion, it's all about the human touch baby.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 28, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's not just the babies first bots, those games use bots to fill up lobbies to capacity if they can't find enough players to matchmake for a full game

Ah okay, yeah I could see that not being wanted so that’s fair. I also don’t see it being a meaningful problem unless you’re very bad, the bots should all be dead by the time of real fights anyway.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shut up dork

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Orv posted:

Ah okay, yeah I could see that not being wanted so that’s fair. I also don’t see it being a meaningful problem unless you’re very bad, the bots should all be dead by the time of real fights anyway.
They're also good fodder for some super basic equipment if you're unlucky finding anything early on.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Voodoo Cafe posted:

or teabagged my corpse

I believe in the latest Battlefield game, if a bot manages to knife you they'll teabag you to rub it in.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Orv posted:

Shut up dork

gently caress off dipshit. :)

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 28, 2023

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

The bots in Fortnite just seem to be there to help new players gain their bearings and not get owned immediately so they don't quit and turn into paying customers.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've never liked the idea of playing against bots but now I want to

Orv
May 4, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

gently caress off dipshit. :)

:hmmyes:

Thank you for reminding me to read the Blindsight sequels

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Orv posted:

:hmmyes:

Thank you for reminding me to read the Blindsight sequels

I've got Echopraxia on my kindle and it's embarrassing that I haven't gotten around to it yet.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

This was a good post but I personally almost never get enjoyment from beating anybody else at anything, and even more rarely if I don't know them and only saw a dinky little avatar or a moving head, so I don't play those games

Orv
May 4, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

I've got Echopraxia on my kindle and it's embarrassing that I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I’ve been so bad about reading stuff the last few years I cannot begin to give you poo poo about that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

there is no more depressing feeling in the world than getting repeatedly owned by someone then realizing they're a bot after the match

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

the most shameful duplicitous act

John Lee posted:

This was a good post but I personally almost never get enjoyment from beating anybody else at anything, and even more rarely if I don't know them and only saw a dinky little avatar or a moving head, so I don't play those games

The more I play multiplayer games, the more I realize that I'm a far, far more competitive person than I ever thought I was, and that's certainly part of the reason I feel strongly about this.

Orv posted:

I’ve been so bad about reading stuff the last few years I cannot begin to give you poo poo about that

Getting a kindle did wonders for my reading habits, but getting in the habit of listening to audiobooks was a straight up revolution.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Black Griffon posted:

Right, so let us first establish five core concepts: Agency, intent, awareness, expectation and The Eightfold Path. Agency and intent is mainly specific to the systems you interact with as a player, awareness, expectation and the lake stretches farther than the horizon, yet the expanse of blood is all visible is mainly specific to the player, but they're all interchangeable in a sense, since an important part of my thesis is the idea of real, human actors on both sides of the divide.

Agency and intent is relatively self-explanatory. A human being has needs and wants, it can decide to do something, and it can desire an outcome. These words are not applicable to code. The terms can be used as descriptors, sure, but there is no desire in an algorithm. We can dispense with terms like skill, difficulty, unpredictability and such because these are things we can actually emulate to a successful degree (with limits, obviously), the relevant terms are the ones that cannot in any possible scenario be truly emulated. You can be tricked into thinking a bot wants to kill you if you remain unaware it's a bot, but that's not true desire.

So why is it relevant whether it's true or not if the effect is the same? Why does it matter whether or not the clump of pixels you killed is real person? Well, it's of course subjective and personal, but the awareness that the person on the other end has intentions and agency heightens the experience of play (using the term in a general sense, not only in terms of video games). You can consider the fact that another human being is reacting to the things you're doing, you are enriched by the knowledge that they are forming their own experiences, going through frustrations or moments of victory. You know that even competitive play is a form of cooperation, allowing people to experience and build something together. Awareness, however, is a double-edged sword, and that's why it's relevant to the whole bot thing.

Let us consider Peter Watts' seminal novel Blindsight or Ted Chiang's Division by Zero (available in Stories of Your Life and Others, which also contains the short story the Dennis Villeneuve film Arrival was based on). Both deal with the concept of a piece of knowledge fundamentally altering how you perceive the world in a negative way. You cannot forget or ignore your newfound knowledge, and it'll always poison your view of the world hence. Both are excellent reads, and I have no intention of actually spoiling the plot. Go pick 'em up.

Now let's relate it to the subject at hand. When I play a game with other people I expect to interact with humans, and I expect to be able to differentiate between humans and pure code. The problem with disrupting this expectation is that you start to doubt every interaction. It's not just that you did really good and feel cheated, it's that uncountable little moments of human contact start to feel fake. I enjoy the idea of getting defeated by an actual human being because I know that someone else had their own moment of victory, if I'm hiding in a bush with a rifle trained on a house, aware of the fact that another player is hiding in another bush a hundred meters away, I like to imagine that they also have a steadily rising pulse, that their wrists are also getting uncomfortably sweaty waiting out the timer. Experiences matter, awareness matters, intent and desire and feeling makes the game richer. But now you know it's a chinese room, now you know that the math doesn't add up. The guy hiding in the push was just bot that had reached some kind of idle trigger, the footsteps outside the house is someone trying to walk through a wall, the perfect knife throw through the window didn't make someone scream in anger somewhere in Belgium.

That anger wasn't real.

Which brings us at last to The Eightfold Path.

It is, in no uncertain terms, mandatory to immerse yourself in prescribed passages of The Spheres of Longing (Ravenor, Gideon, M41) before exploring any further. Armored in contempt, you can then read select passages from Book of Lorgar (Aurelian, Lorgar, M31). Summarizing, both out of courtesy to your soul and because we're going long, there is a vast lake of blood wider than the void between stars, and in that ocean of vitae, a mountain rises, forming at last a throne of skulls. To know the pain of the kill etched in your marrow, to ken the roaring rush of fury boring through your mind, is a thing of beauty. To slay again and again and again and again and to follow the eightfold path of chaos on a road to the realms of eternal battle, there is no sweeter taste. You cannot make a machine feel pain, and an abominable, false intelligence cannot earn victory. You can strike a cavern into a mountain with your sword, but it will never beg for mercy. An avalanche can turn you into paste, but it will never look you in the eye and tell you "Look, look upon the victor. Look upon the dagger in your heart and know that I wanted this."

So, in conclusion, it's all about the human touch baby.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Any opinions on:
The Sinking City
Wingspan

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the stinking lovely

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

schwingspan (this one's a wayne's world ref)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's PvP not PvB

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Players vs Bisexuals. Happy Pride everyone

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

fit em all up in there posted:

Any opinions on:
The Sinking City
Wingspan

Wingspan the board game is great and highly recommended; from what I saw of it, the video game looks like it's the same thing. Build an economy of birds, food and eggs, and you can get neat combos from the birds you lay out. 50% off rn, $10 looks like a good buy.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Mordja posted:

Was Dark Messiah of Might and Magic the last good first-person swords and sorcery game? I thought Lichdom Battlemage was awful and the magic in Aveum looks unimpactful. I'm not counting Skyrim, partly because it's a different thing as an open world RPG, partly because its combat sucks dick.

This was from a ways back (and I hate to disrupt the amazing bot discussion), but I played demos for both Monomyth and Neverlooted Dungeon and instantly wishlisted both of them. The demos are both fun, although the two have a very different feel. ND pokes fun at itself and takes a humorous approach to things and probably has more potential to break new ground and be a bit more remarkable, while Monomyth is just a solid, earnest old-school dungeon/castle crawler.

I've been a huge fan of first-person dungeoning since...hell...Arena? (and loved Dark Messiah) and I'll probably buy both of these on release.

I'll also recommend Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon, even though it's indeed a different thing and more open-worldly RPG. It's in early access and...pretty solid? It has some rough edges and the combat is pretty simple (possibly to the dick-sucking threshold?), but I had fun with it and there's a lot to do and fart around with re: builds and suchlike. Think darkgrim Skyrim with some jank.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

aas Bandit posted:

I'll also recommend Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon, even though it's indeed a different thing and more open-worldly RPG. It's in early access and...pretty solid? It has some rough edges and the combat is pretty simple (possibly to the dick-sucking threshold?), but I had fun with it and there's a lot to do and fart around with re: builds and suchlike. Think darkgrim Skyrim with some jank.

I had to check, as I thought I owned it, but I have the card builder Tainted Grail: Conquest game. Anyway, added this to the wishlist, as it looks like it could be fun. :cheers:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kragger99 posted:

I had to check, as I thought I owned it, but I have the card builder Tainted Grail: Conquest game. Anyway, added this to the wishlist, as it looks like it could be fun. :cheers:

Yeah! I’m really looking forward to this game being finished as well. If its not in early access hell forever, it could be a good hold over until Elder Scrolls 6 finally comes out.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

Yeah! I’m really looking forward to this game being finished as well. If its not in early access hell forever, it could be a good hold over until Elder Scrolls 6 finally comes out.

Yeah, agreed. It's never going to be as big/complex as something like Skyrim, but it already feels like it has a less generic-fantasy-world feel to it and I genuinely enjoyed exploring and finding weird (and sometimes unfinished) poo poo in the early-access version. It's cool.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Any opinions on:
The Sinking City
Wingspan
I like Wingspan. It's got some really chill and comfy vibes. I've played it using Steam remote play against a friend who owns the physical boardgame and it was still fun even though we could see each other's hands (it also helps that it cuts out the extensive setup and pack away of the physical game), otherwise I've just done the occasional bot game which I felt served perfectly fine with the achievements as a kind of challenge mode - the actual proper solo version of the game is fully included but since it's mostly just a score attack mode I think I tried it once.
It has full online multiplayer but I never bothered with it as the actual boardgame itself doesn't have a lot of interactions between game boards so without trash talk over the table it's very easy to forget there's even other players unless someone has a bird doing triggered effects.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
i play pvp games because i want to compete against other people. if i wanted to play against bots i would play a game where you play against bots. it's not hard

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Venuz Patrol posted:

the possibility that the girl genius game might be good has me reeling. i'm a fan of the comic, but "webcomic team gets into gaming" seemed like a recipe for absolute disaster

It's not like the webcomic team are the ones developing the game. It's a professional (if small) studio doing that part. The webcomic creators are contributing creative input and lore, and such. It probably helps that the game is based on a section of the comic set in Castle Heterodyne, described as "a hideous uncontrolled deathtrap," which is the kind of setting which lends itself well to videogames.

There's a Twitch stream of one of the webcomic creators playing the demo: Twitch Stream by Kaja Foglio. (Questions start at 6 minutes, gameplay starts at 27 minutes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

ahhh the vast majority of the world

edit:

Any opinions on:
The Sinking City

The Sinking City was stolen from its devs https://za.ign.com/sinking-city-ps4...d-royalties-fal. The game currently on Steam is the stolen one, so I assume it's current steep discount is related to that.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 28, 2023