Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The Hulu ads wouldn't bother me at all if they weren't double the volume of whatever you're watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Field Mousepad posted:

The Hulu ads wouldn't bother me at all if they weren't double the volume of whatever you're watching

And the same 3-4 ads every single break.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Extraction 2 is like 75% as good as a John Wick movie.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

mcmagic posted:

Yeah, imo the long shot is better than most if not all the extended action scenes in 4

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Finished The Bear S2, it's really great. This show stresses me out more than basically any movie or TV show (Good Times is in the mix, haven't watched Uncut Gems because I assume it's the same), but S2 does give several episodes with only moderate stress and lots of character moments. One of the episodes in this season is perhaps the most stressful thing I've ever watched and also heartbreaking, and if you've seen the season you probably know the one, but it's fantastic. They really got a ton of great guest stars this season, too.

Google Butt posted:

Yeah, imo the long shot is better than most if not all the extended action scenes in 4

I enjoyed it, but it definitely had several of those "pause for the next punch" moments. I think the hype is getting in my way though. Just watch the fun action movie if you like fun action movies where you don't mind a lot of murdering for the mysterious objective type of stuff.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

mcmagic posted:

Pretty much. The flaming punches were extremely cool.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

A MIRACLE posted:

Nora from queens is so fuckin funny dude

It really is. I like Awkwafina in things lately. Mermaid movie, Renfield.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Glottis posted:

Finished The Bear S2, it's really great. This show stresses me out more than basically any movie or TV show (Good Times is in the mix, haven't watched Uncut Gems because I assume it's the same),

Stop what you're doing and watch Uncut Gems

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
OMG, the My Brother's Gay video. (In the Other two)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

OMG, the My Brother's Gay video. (In the Other two)

Oh you're only just starting too. Great show

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

DVD: The Simpsons season 6

I lost all my Simpsons dvds years ago, and I really wish there was a way to watch them on streaming with the DVD commentary tracks.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Tokelau All Star posted:

I lost all my Simpsons dvds years ago, and I really wish there was a way to watch them on streaming with the DVD commentary tracks.

Doesn’t Disney+ have the commentary tracks? Not that it matters to me, I still have all my Simpsons DVDs.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Oh you're only just starting too. Great show

I don’t really find newer comedies funny and I’m laughing pretty hard at this.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Just found out my Paramount+ subscription might be getting upgraded to include Showtime irregardless of my choice in the matter. Since it might only be $1-2 a month, and my wife watches a ton of CBS stuff, I doubt I am going to cancel.

So my actual question is, Is there anything particularly good on Showtime? My parents had a Showtime subscription when I lived with them 20ish years ago. I remember liking the Stargate TV show before moving/selling/whatever over to SciFi. But that was a long time ago. I never bothered keeping up with what might have been in there, as I had an HBO subscription, and that was plenty.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I would've recommended Yellowjackets way more strongly before the second season because it seems likely that it's going to drag out way longer than it should but the first season is pretty strong.... Shameless is pretty fun but there are SOOO MANY EPISODES.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'll always recommend Dexter up through the John Lithgow season.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

I'll always recommend Dexter up through the John Lithgow season.

The Julia Stiles season is still good. It's the Colin Hanks season when it jumps the shark.

Showtime shows do go too long though. Homeland and The Affair start off well and then get awful. But Penny Dreadful and Black Monday are good all the way through, and Showtime does have some good docs and docuseries.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 27, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I love Claire Danes, she's great but Homeland is loving dogshit.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Orvin posted:

Just found out my Paramount+ subscription might be getting upgraded to include Showtime irregardless of my choice in the matter. Since it might only be $1-2 a month, and my wife watches a ton of CBS stuff, I doubt I am going to cancel.

So my actual question is, Is there anything particularly good on Showtime? My parents had a Showtime subscription when I lived with them 20ish years ago. I remember liking the Stargate TV show before moving/selling/whatever over to SciFi. But that was a long time ago. I never bothered keeping up with what might have been in there, as I had an HBO subscription, and that was plenty.

Twin Peaks The Return is wonderful. 18 episodes, it doesn't make sense at first, but everything comes together in the end because it was filmed basically as an 18 hour long movie.

Ziwe is very funny cringe humor, and sadly canceled after 2 seasons.

Other than that, it's tough. Showtime has a lot of shows that start well, wonderful even, but usually turn to poo poo between seasons 2 and 4.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I will say if you ever enjoyed Dexter, especially early-season Dexter, the recent one-off revival New Blood was very good.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The only archival Showtime show I went out of my way to watch on their app was the TV adaptation of This American Life. I'd like to watch It's Garry Shandling's Show, but I guess it's got legal issues surrounding rights.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

class of 09 isnt too bad. has some decent sci fi / minority report stuff and brian tyree henry stars in it, hes really good. a little hokey at first but stays consistent and develops well. if you can handle light copaganda i'd give it a shot

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Twin Peaks The Return is wonderful. 18 episodes, it doesn't make sense at first, but everything comes together in the end because it was filmed basically as an 18 hour long movie.

Ziwe is very funny cringe humor, and sadly canceled after 2 seasons.

Other than that, it's tough. Showtime has a lot of shows that start well, wonderful even, but usually turn to poo poo between seasons 2 and 4.

I never watched any of the original twin peaks. But I think I know some things due to memes or just catching random references in threads on SA. Will that matter for whatever this newer Twin Peaks is?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Orvin posted:

I never watched any of the original twin peaks. But I think I know some things due to memes or just catching random references in threads on SA. Will that matter for whatever this newer Twin Peaks is?

You should probably watch it, but, David Lynch walked away from the show at some point because he was frustrated the network forced him to reveal who killed Laura Palmer, which he always intended to never do. The show then went completely off the rails, and a large chunk of season 2 is notoriously awful. David Lynch came back to correct the course, and the final few episodes of season 2 end up great, but then it was canceled.

Here are a couple of guides on which episodes are essential to watch
https://www.vulture.com/2017/05/twin-peaks-guide-to-the-essentials.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/6azucf/no_spoilers_essential_episodes_for_a_quick/

Although, I think I agree more with the second.

Then watch the movie, Fire Walk With Me.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Watch all of Twin Peaks.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

graventy posted:

Watch all of Twin Peaks.

It starts off as funny that they're watching a soap opera and then all of a sudden you realize so are you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Orvin posted:

You need to watch all of it + the movie.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah watch all of Twin Peaks. It's an amazing show

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Remember, the correct viewing order is Fire Walk With Me and then the tv series. :D

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Twin Peaks rules, even when it is terrible.

Don’t forget to watch The Missing Pieces between Fire Walk With Me and season 3! (If you can find it)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

mcmagic posted:

I love Claire Danes, she's great but Homeland is loving dogshit.

I think Homeland was good to decent all the way until the end of season 4. I might even say season 4 is my favorite, but once they went to Berlin it got worse and worse. I think the start of season 6 is when I dropped it for good.

Loved Nazanin Boniadi in season 4. If you ever want to read how crazy Tom Cruise and that cult of is, read about how she was picked to be his wife and ended up digging ditches. Thankfully she got out.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Orvin posted:

I have a yearly deal for Paramount+ with no Showtime and Showtime was added free as of today which loving owns.

You might already have it!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Here's a question I can't find the answer to online: if I pay for Showtime though a cable provider, does that mean I get Paramount+ included now? Like how I subscribe to HBO through my cable provider and get Max included.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

live with fruit posted:

The Julia Stiles season is still good. It's the Colin Hanks season when it jumps the shark.

The John Lithgow/Trinity Killer season is as perfect of an ending Dexter will ever get (poetic too).

Orvin posted:

You watch all of it. Ever last drop.

Do Fire Walk With Me & The Missing Pieces between S2 & 3.

drat good coffee.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 27, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

United States or Tara is Showtime, right? I haven’t watched it since it aired so I don’t know how it holds up but it’s the thing that made me learn who Toni Collette and Brie Larson were.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

STAC Goat posted:

United States or Tara is Showtime, right? I haven’t watched it since it aired so I don’t know how it holds up but it’s the thing that made me learn who Toni Collette and Brie Larson were.

Yeah, but it was one of those shows where only season 1 was any good. They continued to come up with new personalities, which, fine, whatever, and Brie Larson had a terrible storyline where she became a cam girl sitting on cakes to get guys off. The show was canceled, and ended on a cliffhanger.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Makes sense. Showtime shows seemed to have a mandate to be great to start and then get increasingly stupid and terrible as they go.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Weeds was my first experience with that I think. but every showtime show I've seen has followed that pattern

been watching Warrior and its pretty sweet

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

All the good showtime shows I could think of were actually Starz shows, sorry.

I did enjoy Shameless up until the point I stopped watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved Shameless until I just stopped watching because I was tired of it hurting me.