Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

It's always been funny to me that even though the PS5 basically has like 15 exclusives, most of them are are also on PS4 and therefore sullied in the minds of the masses.

Now we finally have a true PS5 exclusive and it runs at about 15-60fps and also is going to be on PC.

I want PS5 games, not PS4 games with a PS5 port. Maybe GowR's depiction of Ragnarok wouldn't have been totally outclassed by the first 20 minutes of FF16 if it didn't have to run on a PS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

I want PS5 games, not PS4 games with a PS5 port. Maybe GowR's depiction of Ragnarok wouldn't have been totally outclassed by the first 20 minutes of FF16 if it didn't have to run on a PS4

It was a fun game. Don't hold a grudge! :colbert:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I really don't rate Ragnarok at all. Felt by the numbers and didn't have the heart of the first one. Felt really disposable. I was also disappointed in the lack of spectacle and the Ragnarok part of Ragnarok being a wet fart.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

As a game it's alright. But unfortunately in my mind it's better as a symbol of how Sony sold us PS5s on generational hardware leaps that could make for radically better games and then, after a launch that looked like they might live up to that, gave us PS4 ports. I felt a little betrayed when Sony announced that GoWR and HFW would be cross-gen and I plan to hang on to that grudge for a while. Sony could've decided to make real PS5 games that better justify our hardware purchases than just offering more pixels and frames and shorter load screens over a PS4 version. Instead they went for short-term sales numbers and must therefore accept my long-term resentment as the cost of business.

And this goes directly to why GoWR disappointed me so much. GoW18's smaller scope fit the PS4, I felt like I was getting a glimpse of this spectacular world rather than bumping against hardware constraints. It left me with a sense of massive potential for the sequel. But PS4 couldn't deliver a payoff in GoWR that matched all that setup, and it deflated everything for me. If Sony absolutely had to get a cross-platform GoW out the door last year then they should've just made it the second in a trilogy. The game is overlong anyway. Keep the more intimate scope of GoW18, trim Ragnarok off the end, expand the world-ending cataclysm into its own PS5-exclusive finale, and blow my mind with it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

we gaslit veegy for an entire hour telling him that the secret passages behind bookshelves in Ethos HQ were just texture glitches because lazy devs or whatever

he spent like 30 minutes wandering around every room mumbling like a madman about how secret doors definitely exist, and then he finally got his

https://clips.twitch.tv/RoughEnjoyableWaffleBleedPurple-vMxYjF5khqJ6MOuV

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don’t remember who said it but “the xp accessories are pointless because the level cap is 50 before ng+” is a wildly wrong take, I’ve had them both equipped since the earliest point you can get them and after doing literally all the side quests and hunts I’m only just about to hit 50 as I go into the final area.

I never equipped them, did all the side quests and hunts and also hit 50 right around the end, so they might not do anything meaningful at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

acksplode posted:

As a game it's alright. But unfortunately in my mind it's better as a symbol of how Sony sold us PS5s on generational hardware leaps that could make for radically better games and then, after a launch that looked like they might live up to that, gave us PS4 ports. I felt a little betrayed when Sony announced that GoWR and HFW would be cross-gen and I plan to hang on to that grudge for a while. Sony could've decided to make real PS5 games that better justify our hardware purchases than just offering more pixels and frames and shorter load screens over a PS4 version. Instead they went for short-term sales numbers and must therefore accept my long-term resentment as the cost of business.

And this goes directly to why GoWR disappointed me so much. GoW18's smaller scope fit the PS4, I felt like I was getting a glimpse of this spectacular world rather than bumping against hardware constraints. It left me with a sense of massive potential for the sequel. But PS4 couldn't deliver a payoff in GoWR that matched all that setup, and it deflated everything for me. If Sony absolutely had to get a cross-platform GoW out the door last year then they should've just made it the second in a trilogy. The game is overlong anyway. Keep the more intimate scope of GoW18, trim Ragnarok off the end, expand the world-ending cataclysm into its own PS5-exclusive finale, and blow my mind with it.

Even at the best of times it doesn't exactly make sense to abandon your already pretty large audience as soon as the next gen console comes out. This is pretty common for console generations and nobody who buys a new console expects to have nothing but exclusives for the first year or two, especially because large games need to start development years in advance.

And that gets even more complicated by the fact there was a global pandemic that hosed every single supply line in the world.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Augus posted:

no more talking about ps5 games, this thread is only for talking about the PS5 Home Screen, how hot the fan is, and controller ergonomics

Iirc, for a long while there were separate PS4 software and PS4 hardware threads.

Kilometers Davis posted:

without having to make a million decisions, find your way if you get lost, worry about builds blah blah blah. You can just boot up FF16 and make meaningful progress and it rules.

Is there not much in the way of customizing your party’s skills/make up?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rinkles posted:

There's no party, not in a gameplay sense at least. You have NPC companions for large portions of the story but they're fully AI controlled and you don't control their equipment, skills, or anything.

The main character has a skill tree but you can respec it at any time (except during combat) for free so there's no penalty for experimenting as much as you want.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rinkles posted:

Iirc, for a long while there were separate PS4 software and PS4 hardware threads.

There is no party in FF16. The extent of character customization in FF16 is deciding your loadout of three Eikons, which Eikon abilities to invest AP in, if you master an Eikon ability you can equip it on the ‘wrong’ Eikon allowing for greater flexibility.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

fridge corn posted:

Trying to get some Diablo 4 in with fridgelina but stuck at the queue to log in for ages. How can I get a refund for this joke of a game

Its really annoying cause now they are doing server maintenance to fix whatever the DDOs attacks hosed up over the weekend. So now its MORE down tiem :(

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Huh, didn’t expect that out of an FF

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

GoWR was fun and cool, but it's junkfood entertainment. HFW is loving great, there was no way on god's green earth that Sony was going to make that game PS5-only during lockdown when Decima already runs so well on PS4. They made the DLC PS5-only and that move still pissed off a bunch of people years later. COVID was a rock and a hard place scenario for large projects and I think Sony managed to thread the needle pretty well all things considered. MS first party was a total trashfire in comparison and while some of that is just normal MS bloat a big part of it was bad luck, just not having the embedded resources built up at the time to help their devs pivot during the height of the pandemic so that projects could actually cross the finish line. It hit everyone hard, it just hit Sony a bit less hard because of their tech/communication pipeline. Sure, HFW and GoWR both bear some scars of development hell from those years, but by and large they are quality releases that did what they were supposed to do. I loving can't wait to see more of Horizon's storyline, but I thought capping off the GoW story was a good move, there simply isn't enough concept there to make it a trilogy...this is like the 6th time Kratos has had to start a skill tree from scratch. It's old!

Also, as far as spectacle is concerned FFXVI had roughly double the development time to work that poo poo out compared to GoWR.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 28, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The skill tree isn't much different from the skill tree in DMC. You unlock a stomp move that's pretty much DMC's unlockable air hike. You unlock some Eikon abilities that are real similar to special weapons moves from DMC. A lot of the animations are even extremely close.

So much of the game is DMC with FF names. Dante's devil trigger mode is now "Limit break." You gain HP and damage output with levels, but in a heavily controlled way that just keeps you at pace with the main dungeons. The RPG aspect is superfluous in a lot of ways.

Later in the game you have a variety of ultimate moves on cooldown timers that have interesting synergies with each other. That's kind of as close to classic FF combat as it ever gets.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I don't know if you're thinking of it...but there was a store thread which is linked in the op and has some excellent info, but it's been dead for a while because posters in here have all those bases covered on a weekly basis.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I've beaten the first large boss of FF16 and I have not had one forced interaction with a moogle.

Game is a straight 1 out of 10

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Oscar Wild posted:

I've beaten the first large boss of FF16 and I have not had one forced interaction with a moogle.

Moogles aren't real

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Oscar Wild posted:

Game has a Moogle NPC.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Game has a Moogle NPC.

and it owns

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Moogle is adorable and awesome. I had my Moogle plushie with me the whole time I played the game over the weekend. :3:

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

I like ff16’s dedicated aragorn door opening button

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

gooby pls posted:

Normally I am annoyed by this stuff, but this just works with what this game is going for.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

gooby pls posted:

The two-handed big door open is how I know this is actually a soulslike.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Miss Nine Tails, give me a lesson, ooh la la

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bugblatter posted:

The two-handed big door open is how I know this is actually a soulslike.

You know it’s extra epic when it takes more than one shove to open something

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

I said come in! posted:

Game has a Moogle NPC.

Happens too late 2/10 should be minute 2 after your introduced to your chocobo and wolf dog.

The boss Garuda was awesome. the game nails the final fantasy tone all the way down to the NPCs. what a magnificent game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nektar is your fuckin daddy. Press X to pay respects to his lordship the sign painter.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

we gaslit veegy for an entire hour telling him that the secret passages behind bookshelves in Ethos HQ were just texture glitches because lazy devs or whatever

he spent like 30 minutes wandering around every room mumbling like a madman about how secret doors definitely exist, and then he finally got his

Lol. Veeg gonna be tryna find secret doors irl soon

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Bugblatter posted:

Just waiting for you all to get to the one after that.

:aaaaa:

My eyes are bleeding.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Fix posted:

:aaaaa:

My eyes are bleeding.

Lotsa Yoko Taro vibes with the dragons flying around giant blooming flowers over ruined cities.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
Man FF16 is all medieval regal this and that, swords and sorcery, then the Eikons show up and poo poo straight up turns into Evangelion/Gundam spectacle, I just did the second Garuda fight, what an awesome game.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

PacoPepe posted:

Man FF16 is all medieval regal this and that, swords and sorcery, then the Eikons show up and poo poo straight up turns into Evangelion/Gundam spectacle, I just did the second Garuda fight, what an awesome game.

Buckle up, they get more hype with each fight

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don't know if you're thinking of it...but there was a store thread which is linked in the op and has some excellent info, but it's been dead for a while because posters in here have all those bases covered on a weekly basis.

I may have been thinking of the PS3 era, which had a PS3 "General Discussion" thread on top of all these

E:Here's one iteration of the "PlayStation 3 Games Discussion" thread

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 28, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

that's quite a lot of threads to make just for discussing Final Fantasy XIII :hmmyes:

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Captain Oblivious posted:

There is no party in FF16.

"Party members: sprite icons" in lower corner of screen

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
2 is a party and Torgal is a party member you give commands to.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

I said come in! posted:

The Moogle is adorable and awesome. I had my Moogle plushie with me the whole time I played the game over the weekend. :3:

I think they are cowards for not giving the moogle any voiced lines. Could have had ralph double up but nope :colbert:

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

WaltherFeng posted:

2 is a party and Torgal is a party member you give commands to.

You mostly get 3 and sometimes 4 and then at one point a guest and explanation help box for that which at that point is very lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

"Party members: sprite icons" in lower corner of screen

:hmmyes: