Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

dieselfruit posted:

a broken city with empty coffers, less than a full term to fix it, and an outwardly hostile provincial gov and legacy media class? yeah it's gonna be a shitshow starting immediately. Liv needs to come out the gate strong by personally blowing up the Gardiner tomorrow.

start by laying siege to queen's park. like, literally. trebuchets and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Surround Queen's Park with bike lanes. Just make the crescent and Wellesley St 5+ lanes for bikes only. PCs will never be able to find their way in.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

fill queens park with queens

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Wheeee posted:

conservatives run province/city into ground -> NDP win power -> unable to unfuck massive systemic damage caused by conservatives -> NDP scapegoated for problems they didn’t cause -> conservatives are back in baby

The circle of life

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i hope she taxes the suburbs to death and uses the money to build a dense nest of elevated bike lanes completely enclosing Queens Park

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Use dougie's strong mayor powers to implode that stupid Ontario Place spa titanic submarine style please Olivia

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
Toronto Sun/NatPo/Globe and Mail/CP24/6buzz all sighed as they turned up the racism dial

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

crispyseaweed posted:

Toronto Sun/NatPo/Globe and Mail/CP24/6buzz all sighed as they turned up the racism dial

pretty sure they were already running stories about how xi jinping was voting for Chow, so

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

ColdBlooded posted:

The circle of life

rae days baybay!

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/1673511597287800833

Has Nick Kouvalis worked for Pierre Poilievre yet? Seems inevitable, although his results haven't been stellar of late

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

crispyseaweed posted:

Has Nick Kouvalis worked for Pierre Poilievre yet? Seems inevitable, although his results haven't been stellar of late

he has to stop first and break into a milestone’s for some drinks before he gets there

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
memories...

https://vimeo.com/110287800

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I can't make heads or tails of this https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-doctors-open-letter-decry-1.6889361

quote:

More than 100 Alberta physicians have signed an open letter condemning the move by Alberta Health Services to revoke a job offer to Dr. Deena Hinshaw, who was set to start working on a key Indigenous health team earlier this month, saying the move damages years of progress on Indigenous wellness.

Describing their concerns as "grave," the doctors are calling for an investigation into the decision, which resulted in the resignation of prominent Indigenous physician, Dr. Esther Tailfeathers, from her position as senior medical director with the Indigenous Wellness Core.

Hinshaw was the chief medial officer from the onset of the covid pandemic and seemed to handle it about as lovely as most everyone else. she was fired by the new premier for presumably drawing the ire of some pro-covid camp. she's apparently an enemy of the current government, and when she tried for a new government job the government said no

I don't get why Hinshaw is provoking such a defence (and afaik she hasn't said a word about anything). is this some decorum thing about a supposed divide between "political" and "not political" positions? like what did people think would happen? I guess it sucks for this indigenous health group

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The article has the explanation buried in the tweet.

Basically the health group was supposed to be a self deterministic agency that worked within AHS and their first act got overruled.

They basically put the premier and AHS on the spot and said what's more worth it to you steps towards reconciliation or your petty squabbles.

Masterful move honestly. Now everyone that would work for it knows she's full of poo poo and to abandon working within the system.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Also Smith replaced the AHS board with a single administrator.

Gonna be a wild couple of years....

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
never would've occurred to me people were waiting for the hinshaw light in the sky before burning things down, but whatever works!

mewse
May 2, 2006

apatheticman posted:

Also Smith replaced the AHS board with a single administrator.

Gonna be a wild couple of years....

"there was no political interference i merely appointed the person i wanted, and got rid of anyone who would disagree with me"

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
I don't know poo poo about GTA politics or what kind of a scene your new mayor is wandering into, but I can't help but see parallels to Valérie Plante over in Montreal (down to the not necessarily sympathetic provincial government) and at least as far as bike infrastructure and ecological issues, her admin has achieved quite a lot. So maybe for once something nice will happen to Toronto. Godspeed.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zero knowledge posted:

I don't know poo poo about GTA politics or what kind of a scene your new mayor is wandering into, but I can't help but see parallels to Valérie Plante over in Montreal (down to the not necessarily sympathetic provincial government) and at least as far as bike infrastructure and ecological issues, her admin has achieved quite a lot. So maybe for once something nice will happen to Toronto. Godspeed.

chow may be able to reverse some of the damage of over a decade of austerity, but they've been cutting into the bone of social services for a while now and it takes time to rebuild those to be functional, or at the very least be able to shelter (dare i dream house) homeless people.

the rest of the GTA is various mayors figuring out how to carve out as much land as they can for developers. upside is ive now seen several of them arguing with people in facebook comments. local media didn't disappear, it just got shuffled over to social media so if you want to know what's going on with your elected officials you just have to join the right boomer politics groups. now the mayor can send his flunkies to call you a degenerate because you care about the environment or whatever

it kicks rear end

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you wanted more local engagement, you got it

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I hope yall volunteered in upcoming campaign in the war on cars.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
loving liberals lmao

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
my first act as mayor will be to cut off my dick and balls and run screaming into the ocean

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

drat horror queefs posted:

my first act as mayor will be to cut off my dick and balls and run screaming into the ocean

Well Chow is a few steps ahead of you, then.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I don't think she would get a chance anyway, the strong mayor powers only applied to stuff that aligned with "provincial priorities" which means I'm certain if she ever tried to use them on anything of any consequence Ford would say "nuh uh you can't do that it's not a provincial priority" and shut her down by any means necessary

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
c'mon liv enough of this lib bullshit

triple property tax and start seizing properties

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

I don't think she would get a chance anyway, the strong mayor powers only applied to stuff that aligned with "provincial priorities" which means I'm certain if she ever tried to use them on anything of any consequence Ford would say "nuh uh you can't do that it's not a provincial priority" and shut her down by any means necessary

using the strong mayor powers to zone all of toronto residential for store + three floor apartments would be pretty great and would technically work!

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

vyelkin posted:

the difference between awesome people and stupid libs is that you force your opponent to block your poo poo then cry foul. the right is masters at doing it and having judges strike it down then riling up their base on it.

the left of course does idiot decorum bullshit instead.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Noblesse Obliged posted:

the difference between awesome people and stupid libs is that you force your opponent to block your poo poo then cry foul. the right is masters at doing it and having judges strike it down then riling up their base on it.

oh yeah for sure, imo Chow should ride into office on day one and use strong mayor powers to ban cars and bulldoze the suburbs but of course instead she'll just try to be a competent administrator or something boring like that

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Set up some guillotines at queens park to show Doug you mean business.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

mewse posted:

"there was no political interference i merely appointed the person i wanted, and got rid of anyone who would disagree with me"

https://twitter.com/TheBreakdownAB/status/1673837361652957184?s=20

Now with video!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

mila kunis posted:

loving liberals lmao

Thank goodness. I loving hate it when politicians use the power we give them.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I think a key difference is that a bunch of the institutional mechanisms to punish transgression and non-cooperation actually get used against leftists.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

nah I’m sure if a group of indigenous or environmental protesters blocked up highways and froze up a major city core the cops would respond by bringing them timmys and publicly speaking on how much they respect the protesters’ rights to speech

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/JeffreyASachs/status/1674189169185234945
https://twitter.com/JeffreyASachs/status/1674190154955718656

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i don't know if there's anyone else here with young kids living in ontario but im just amazed that the EarlyON program a) exists b) is still relatively well funded. it seems like it'd be an easy target for austerity maniacs but i'm glad it's around. free drop-in activities/playgroup for young kids is awesome

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

what the gently caress

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

vyelkin posted:

what the gently caress

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Wheeee posted:

nah I’m sure if a group of indigenous or environmental protesters blocked up highways and froze up a major city core the cops would respond by bringing them timmys and publicly speaking on how much they respect the protesters’ rights to speech

There was a protest blockade going to happen at the Manitoba / Ontario border, blocking the cabin folk on a long weekend a few years back. Got to hear a bunch of veiled threats of running over protestors during that time.

I reminded people of what will happen if you don't allow people to peacefully protest. Do you think Indigenous groups will just roll over if you say no protesting allowed? They have nothing to lose now lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Fried Watermelon posted:

I reminded people of what will happen if you don't allow people to peacefully protest. Do you think Indigenous groups will just roll over if you say no protesting allowed? They have nothing to lose now lol

a significant amount of RCMP troops are excited at the prospect